Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Alt/Indie Opinions

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

mosstin wrote: »
    The Irish music alternative music scene, such as it is, is almost uniformly dreadful. Too self-celebrating, po-faced and safe.
    That's because it's too MIDDLE CLASS!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Speaking of Cathal Coughlan here's a really unpopular opinion: Microdisney were boring.

the idea of Fatima Mansions was much better than the reality - CC gives good interviews but musically there's not much of interest (see also Toasted Heretic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

smokedeels wrote: »
    Breeders > Pixies
    Sebadoh > Dinosaur Jr

I like both The Breeders and Sebadoh but when I read this post my head nearly exploded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

loyatemu wrote: »
    the idea of Fatima Mansions was much better than the reality - CC gives good interviews but musically there's not much of interest (see also Toasted Heretic).

Bollocks. The three album stretch from Viva to Valhalla was creatively and lyrically that of a band at the peak of their powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

mosstin wrote: »
    Bollocks. The three album stretch from Viva to Valhalla was creatively and lyrically that of a band at the peak of their powers.

this is a thread for unpopular opinions.

One more:

Neither "Nevermind the B0ll0cks" nor "Nevermind" are as good as their reputation or influence would suggest. They're ok, but its rare enough I'd be in the mood to listen to either of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

fiachr_a wrote: »
    That's because it's too MIDDLE CLASS!

You must write for the NME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

iomega wrote: »
    You must write for the NME.

He's right though.

The best music/art/movies/football/literature etc has all come from people with working class backgrounds who went to comprehensive schools.

Some of these Irish bands today have nothing to say and have nothing to play.

Being in an Irish band today is a designer religion- these guys have some preconceived idea of this fabulous lifestyle that they're going to have.

You only have to hear them speak- they're so bland and so safe. And we all know the bands and people I'm talking about

Being in an Irish band today is a designer religion- these guys have some preconceived idea of this fabulous lifestyle that they're going to have.
    Same with most Irish movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

The best music/art/movies/football/literature etc has all come from people with working class backgrounds who went to comprehensive schools.

Leonard Cohen... checkmate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BrushyMan

Never said it was a game-changer. I just gave it as a recent example of an album that I think is better than decent.

fair enough. To each their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

He's right though.

You only have to hear them speak- they're so bland and so safe. And we all know the bands and people I'm talking about

So, only working class bands have something to say? As long as a band is good, it doesn't matter where they come from.
    But when you have the likes of Frank Turner trying to be like Billy Bragg, then that's a joke.
    Most Irish bands are sh*t, as opposed to not having anything to say, or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I think people are expecting too much out of Irish bands. We are a small country after all with a quite dispersed population. Ireland doesn't have the resources or large concentrated urban areas to form musical hotbeds. Dublin isn't exactly London or New York.

There's quite a few Irish bands I do enjoy, but the only band to come out of Ireland that I would consider to be among my favourites would be My Bloody Valentine. But even they released their best material while based in London.

seachto7 wrote: »
    So, only working class bands have something to say? As long as a band is good, it doesn't matter where they come from.
    But when you have the likes of Frank Turner trying to be like Billy Bragg, then that's a joke.
    Most Irish bands are sh*t, as opposed to not having anything to say, or not.

All the BEST bands have something to say - fire in their bellies, an us against ther world mentality and a **** the world attitude.

The in gods name do Kodaline, The Corona's and the rest of the mass produced sh*te in this country have to moan about?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

No they don't. Obviously, some great and ground breaking music has come from working class folk but it's certainly no pre-requisite for making good music.

Maybe it's something your appreciate in the music you listen to but it's not something you can use to objectively measure 'great music'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

All the BEST bands have something to say - fire in their bellies, an us against ther world mentality and a **** the world attitude.

The in gods name do Kodaline, The Corona's and the rest of the mass produced sh*te in this country have to moan about?

I don't like the Coronas. I don't get them at all. I don't see what the appeal is, and the singer is woeful. But obviously a fair amount of people do like them.

Where are all the working class bands these days? There is nothing stopping them putting a band together in a bedroom or shed.

I'm in Limerick, and I can't think of the last band, if any band, that came out of so called working class areas. You have a few tracksuited eejits trying to be rappers and that's it.

There are a lot of "ok" bands in Ireland these days. Not bad, but not really that brilliant. Having good connections seems to be half the battle these days... I still think it's also a little harder for bands to get noticed if they are not based in Dublin.

The Minutes. I don't like them. There's an unpopular indie opinion.

I don't like the Coronas. I don't get them at all. I don't see what the appeal is, and the singer is woeful. But obviously a fair amount of people do like them.

Where are all the working class bands these days? There is nothing stopping them putting a band together in a bedroom or shed.

I'm in Limerick, and I can't think of the last band, if any band, that came out of so called working class areas. You have a few tracksuited eejits trying to be rappers and that's it.

There are a lot of "ok" bands in Ireland these days. Not bad, but not really that brilliant. Having good connections seems to be half the battle these days... I still think it's also a little harder for bands to get noticed if they are not based in Dublin.

The Minutes. I don't like them. There's an unpopular indie opinion.

This is spot on

I think people are expecting too much out of Irish bands. We are a small country after all with a quite dispersed population. Ireland doesn't have the resources or large concentrated urban areas to form musical hotbeds. Dublin isn't exactly London or New York.
    Someone should type all the quality bands from Wales and Scotland since 2000!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

loyatemu wrote: »
    I don't get Whipping Boy at all.

I'm bewildered that it (HW) is consistently voted the best Irish album of all time - there's a reason it didn't do the business anywhere outside of Ireland.

Furthermore Ireland's record of producing great indie bands is terrible compared to (say) Scotland:

Primal Scream, Teenage Fanclub, Beta Band, Belle & Sebastian, Franz Ferdinand, JAMC, Django Django, Big Country - where are the Irish equivalents?

Empty stadium rock & boybands - that's Ireland's musical legacy :(

Agree with most of this, don't get Whipping Boy. I'm a big fan of Scotosh bands too, TFC, Trashcan Sinatras, B & S, Aztec Camera. However, there were a few fantastic Irish bands. Stars of Heaven, The Blades, Something Happens, A House. It might be a select few, but they more than stand up to anything else that was released in the eighties, whether they sold shedloads of records or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

He's right though.

The best music comes from middle class folk pretending to be working class, like John Lennon or The Clash

• Registered Users Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The Arctic Monkeys first album isn't their best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

How unpopular can an opinion be?

IMO music generally isn't worth listening to if it hasn't been released by a large label.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I didn't think anybody actually liked the Coronas. Complete rubbish.

Built to Spill's best album is Keep It Like a Secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

Suas11 wrote: »
    Neon Bible is better than Funeral

And The Suburbs is better than Neon Bible

The 'Stone roses sound' was not original.

Richey Edwards is alive and well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

fiachr_a wrote: »
    The 'Stone roses sound' was not original.

Whatever else they claimed, The Stone Roses never claimed their sound was original.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭VenomousFish

the only good britpop band is pulp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

GarIT wrote: »
    How unpopular can an opinion be?

IMO music generally isn't worth listening to if it hasn't been released by a large label.

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Birneybau wrote: »
    Wow.

What? Generally if a musician/band was any good they would have been picked up by a big label.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Richey Edwards is alive and well

Alive maybe. I don't think he was ever well

Advertisement