Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 2014/2015 Season thread

Options
  • 03-06-2014 12:08am
    Administrators Posts: 53,538 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I see paddy power have released their odds for the winners next year already:

Leinster 15/8
    Ulster 11/4
    Munster 7/2
    Glasgow 9/2
    Ospreys 8/1
    Scarlets 33/1

I predict:

1. An Irish winner again

2. The same top 4 teams as this year, just in different order. The gap between the top 4 and the rest will be bigger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Not so sure the gap between top 4 and rest will be bigger but do agree with you that there will be both an Irish winner again and that the top 4 will be the same teams again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Dragons will be a Welsh qualifier for Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I think Glasgow will be in the hunt again next season, and it is hard to not see an Irish winner again and the same top 4. Mind you, Leinster had some lucky escapes in winning some matches when they played really badly this season. They might not get away with it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭LostArt

If Glasgow continue as they have been I'd expect them to have a home semi & probably final too. 9/2 is pretty good odds for them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Glasgow seem priced a bit long compared to the top three there. Still, no particularly good value odds there.

There is a very clear gap after the top 4 in terms of odds. I hope that isn't reflected in the league itself - we can only hope that the euro qualification makes a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm pretty optimistic about the league next season.

Out of the Welsh teams only Ospreys will be weaker after losing Hibbard, Jones, and Evans though in Sam Parry and Dan Evans they seemed to have signed two players with good pedigree and potential. Cardiff and Dragons looked to have recruited well in signing Brew, Byrne, Stankovich, Gough, Craig Mitchell, Knoyle, Turnbull, Hoeata, and Voswai between them. Then there's a couple of unknowns that look handy enough players in Rynard Landman and Tuifua.

Lanelli I'm not sure who they've signed or will be losing but bringing in Regan King to replace Johnaton Davies sounds like good business.

Also having a few Welsh teams in the new Amlin could work out well for them as if they could get a QF or SF (even a finalist or winner) would do great wonders for the regions.

Edinburgh having a full pre season with their coaching panel all in place will be good for them too.

Out of the Irish teams it's Ulster you'd worry for in that they'll be losing some big players but have brought in some unknowns really. They should have enough to be competing for the play offs all the same but a few injuries could de rail that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rocko

When do the fixtures schedule usually get released?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Any news on the new sponsor actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Scarlets are losing Davies, Turnbull, Manu and Timani that I'm aware of. They'll be a bit weaker, I think, but nothing huge. They'll be finishing much around the same place they did this year but won't threaten any sides, I reckon.

Dragons have recruited shrewdly and could well push for that last RCC spot.

To be honest, I can't see the status quo changing much next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rocko wrote: »
    When do the fixtures schedule usually get released?
    Middle of July normally
    Teferi wrote: »
    Any news on the new sponsor actually?
    Nothing yet. Are Turkish Airways still in the running??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

At the Munster AGM last night Garrett Fitzgerald said that Sky have confirmed they will show 22 games a 3pm on Saturdays and 8 at either 5pm or 5.15pm also on Saturdays. Last paragraph here

Have we heard anything about the rest of the coverage other than RTE won't be showing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some afternoon kickoffs will be great IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Nothing yet. Are Turkish Airways still in the running??

Don't think so.
    Think it's between Heineken and Guinness from talking to a morkeshing buddy who may or may not work for one of those two companies at the final last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

Crap just wasted my money on my season ticket just about get Heineken cup Saturdays off.

sioda wrote: »
    Crap just wasted my money on my season ticket just about get Heineken cup Saturdays off.

Sky will broadcast a Saturday afternoon match each week. There will be 6 games each weekend so there's no guarantee your team will be televised by Sky for each of its home games. You shouldn't miss to many, in other words.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Well they're limited to only showing each fixture once (eg if they show Munster V Leinster they can't show the return at the Aviva) and they've said they'll be showing all teams equally, so no team should have more than 3 home games a season on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

Still annoying though

• Registered Users Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Heroditas wrote: »
    Sky will broadcast a Saturday afternoon match each week. There will be 6 games each weekend so there's no guarantee your team will be televised by Sky for each of its home games. You shouldn't miss to many, in other words.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Still annoying though

What's annoying is that RTE have pulled out altogether. That means 3 games each on Sky with TG4 covering 1 game per weekend too. So coverage for the provinces will take a big hit (except Ulster who will be on BBC NI) unless another broadcaster steps in.

• Administrators Posts: 53,538 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

molloyjh wrote: »
    What's annoying is that RTE have pulled out altogether. That means 3 games each on Sky with TG4 covering 1 game per weekend too. So coverage for the provinces will take a big hit (except Ulster who will be on BBC NI) unless another broadcaster steps in.

Have RTE taken the huff?

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Have RTE taken the huff?

Yeah it seems they have. Connacht will likely suffer big time from this. It means that there'll be at least a dozen less provincial games on terrestrial TV, probably 15 less at a minimum. All the provinces will suffer as a result, but you'd have to imagine Connacht will suffer the most.

• Administrators Posts: 53,538 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yeah it seems they have. Connacht will likely suffer big time from this. It means that there'll be around a dozen plus less provincial games on terrestrial TV. All the provinces will suffer as a result, but you'd have to imagine Connacht will suffer the most.

As far as I know Ulster will be on the same as this year, only exception is a few games on Sky instead on BBC.

Us ulster fans have it handy tbh. Great BBC coverage every week.

awec wrote: »
    As far as I know Ulster will be on the same as this year, only exception is a few games on Sky instead on BBC.

Us ulster fans have it handy tbh. Great BBC coverage every week.

Yeah Leinster have been well covered as well. It's just a shame that something so good for the league, Sky's involvement, is going to massively limit coverage in general here. You'd also have to wonder about some of the games in Ireland that won't have TV cameras there at all as TG4 have to limit themselves to the one game. So if Leinster play Ospreys in the RDS the same weekend that Munster play Scarlets in Thomond you could easily see one of those games not televised at all unless Sky cover it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Are RTE definitely gone for next season? I thought they'd signed on but maybe with a smaller package.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Are RTE definitely gone for next season? I thought they'd signed on but maybe with a smaller package.

I didn't see it myself (was at game) but according to one newspaper report George Hook made quite a deal of it during the build up to the Pro 12 final.

CatFromHue wrote: »

Nothing official but I'd heard they were out altogether. I hope not, even if it's a smaller package it would still mean very good coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Nothing official but I'd heard they were out altogether. I hope not, even if it's a smaller package it would still mean very good coverage.

I can see this next season "This is molloyjh, reporting from the RDS, for boards.ie..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

icdg wrote: »
    I didn't see it myself (was at game) but according to one newspaper report George Hook made quite a deal of it during the build up to the Pro 12 final.

I think they got confused. Hook is retiring and that was most likely what he was referring to when he said it would be the last time he'd be on the panel for a Leinster game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    I think they got confused. Hook is retiring and that was most likely what he was referring to when he said it would be the last time he'd be on the panel for a Leinster game.

Well, last time on the panel for a "domestic" game anyway. It's great really. 5 more 6N games and he's gone from the TV.
    Maybe we should start a Hook Countdown Clock.

Advertisement