Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free 3D drawing software

Options
  • 04-06-2014 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I was hoping someone on here could help me, I tried the search function but nothing really relevant came up, maybe I missed something.

I'm qualified in mechanical engineering and advanced manufacturing technology, worked as a CNC operator/programmer and did some design too both 2D and 3D while I was working. But I'm out of work at the moment and looking to do a bit of 3D design work, have experience using both Inventor and Solidworks, find it really easy to adjust to different types of software to be honest.

Anyway I have 123D Design but looking for something better if possible... closer to Solidworks as in making parts and putting them together in assemblies that sorta thing.

If anyone can think of anything or reckon they can help me drop me a line.

Thanks

Joe

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

http://www.ptc.com/products/creo-elements-direct/modeling-express/#3

You could give that a go if you like, it might be of some use.

There's a link to a comparison chart at the bottom of the page for the free and full package.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 banjoman22

I've used inventor and solidworks too. I have an uncle that does very complex 3d parts, hes a CNC programmer. He swears by Rhino and says solidworks and other 3d design packages that cost a small fortune hate it because its so good and only cost around 5 or 600 euro I think. However i'm not sure if it allows you to do parts & assemblies or works from one model and various layers. You can download free trials anyway I think

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

banjoman22 wrote: »
    I've used inventor and solidworks too. I have an uncle that does very complex 3d parts, hes a CNC programmer. He swears by Rhino and says solidworks and other 3d design packages that cost a small fortune hate it because its so good and only cost around 5 or 600 euro I think. However i'm not sure if it allows you to do parts & assemblies or works from one model and various layers. You can download free trials anyway I think

I've actually worked as a CNC Programmer too and can understand where he's coming from. Never heard of the program Rhino i'll look into it, 5 or 600 euro is a bit much to be honest tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

I very highly recommend Blender. Free and Open Source software.

I'm not sure if it's what you need for CNC work, but simply as a 3D modelling tool, it is incredible. Just go onto some Blender art sites and look at what can be acheived if you need convincing.

Advertisement