Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borris House Carlow?

Options
  • 19-02-2010 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

Hi, has anyone here had/attended a wedding in Borris House Carlow?
    My sister is considering it as a venue for her wedding but we don't know of anyone that has had a wedding there so would appreciate feedback :)

Thanks,

C :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

Hi C
    Sorry, I didnt see your question until today. I might not be that much help anyway, as I wasn't a guest at a wedding there, but myself and my fiance gave serious consideration to having our own in Borris House. We went down one Friday evening last October to see it; a wedding was in full swing and it looked like a lot of fun. It was in a marquee (but didnt have to be - the function room is really cool, especially in Summer I'd imagine), and being catered by one of their recommended caterers - they had heaped plates of smoked salmon, they did shoulder of lamb that was carved at the table by the guests themselves (a nice ice-breaker, I imagine) and they let us try the wedding-biscuit cake. Basically, the food end of things was great.
    The owners were sound as well - took time out to meet with us that evening and again the next day. We had dinner in the Step House Hotel, it was fairly tasty and the receptionist showed us a couple of the rooms and they were really nice.
    Basically I was all set to wed there - but we have gone with Castle Durrow instead. I think it comes down to how much work you want to put into it yourself. Castle Durrow is just so much easier - they're a really efficient organisation, and most of our guests can stay there too, and the overflow people wont have far to go either (in Borris the closest anyone can stay is Step House, which means a drunken walk in the dark for all guests after the wedding!).
    But if you want somewhere a bit DIFFERENT, and don't mind doing a bit of work wrt checking out caterers/doing the place up how you want it etc etc, then I think Borris House would be deadly - not least because I got the impression that once in you can basically do what you want (within reason ;)). The owners aren't gonna be breakin' your balls about last orders at 1 am or guests puking in the flowerbeds or smoking blunts or what have you.
    So does your sister want relaxed and tasteful, or a wild'n'crazy party? Personally, i think both have their merits. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Thanks a mill for the reply ElWizard :)

I didn't realise until after my post above that the venue is a private house rather than a hotel, makes it that bit more exclusive I think.
    The place looks absolutely fab, I must tell her to ask if she can visit the place when there's a wedding on to get a proper idea of what it'd be like.

Thanks again for the feedback :)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ShindyB

Hi there.

My sister is also considering having her wedding there. We hope to go visit the place soon so I'll let you know what I think then. It looks fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 roxyr

Hi,
    we're considering here too. Does anyone have first hand experience? It is stunning but would love to get some info based on real experience.
    Is the house nice to stay in?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ShindyB

Saw the house decorated for a wedding on Saturday last and it looks fab and the owners are very friendly. Think my sister's just gonna have the ceremony there though and have the reception somewhere else because she's gonna be overseas for a few months coming up the wedding so wouldn't be able to be as hands on as needed to have the entire wedding there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Packattack

Nice spot I must say, picturesque. You will need to provide drinks though (unless the guests bring their own, which is allowed with a small é5 corkage pp). You will also need to provide portaloos. There's a local lad who'll drop you to your B&B at é3 pp. Which brings me to my next point - accommodation. There is some availability on campus. Otherwise it is The Step House hotel or else numerous B&B's, all of which are within a mile.

Their staff were fine too. The food was divine in this case, which may have been a catering company, but it was top notch food to me. The bar worked on a "gentleman's agreement", on suggested donation prices for drink provided by bride & groom, which people respected. In cases, you would get inside and "pull your own" if after hours, which again is fine if no one is acting the clown. All of our party were highly respectable, inclusive, dignified and professional people, so we had no worries with people puking, fighting or breaking stuff etc.

Would recommend it if you want something different, and to have your own way, but you'll have to put in the extra mileage in terms of organisation; as opposed to your traditional venues where all those comforts are already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

This thread is over four years old, and a lot of the info from the original posters and the one today are outdated.

Just to clarify - there is no corkage charge. You can bring your own drink, or they can supply it up til the end of dinner. You can operate a free bar or a regular cash bar after that. You can get them to do the catering, or you can bring in your own!

They can sleep 43 people on the grounds. The Step House across the way is fully booked every weekend for the next year as when there is a wedding there the Step House fully book themselves out regardless of whether they will fill the rooms or not.

Oh, and you don't need to bring portaloos!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Packattack wrote: »
    Nice spot I must say, picturesque. You will need to provide drinks though (unless the guests bring their own, which is allowed with a small é5 corkage pp). You will also need to provide portaloos. There's a local lad who'll drop you to your B&B at é3 pp. Which brings me to my next point - accommodation. There is some availability on campus. Otherwise it is The Step House hotel or else numerous B&B's, all of which are within a mile.

Their staff were fine too. The food was divine in this case, which may have been a catering company, but it was top notch food to me. The bar worked on a "gentleman's agreement", on suggested donation prices for drink provided by bride & groom, which people respected. In cases, you would get inside and "pull your own" if after hours, which again is fine if no one is acting the clown. All of our party were highly respectable, inclusive, dignified and professional people, so we had no worries with people puking, fighting or breaking stuff etc.

Would recommend it if you want something different, and to have your own way, but you'll have to put in the extra mileage in terms of organisation; as opposed to your traditional venues where all those comforts are already there.

Good post apart from the part highlighted.
    I got a little sick in my mouth. :rolleyes:

Advertisement