Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice for applying to a specific job! Please help!!

Options
  • 02-06-2014 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi

I won't mention any company names, I'll just call this company "A", so bear with me -
    I applied for a job online with A. Everything about this job is perfect for me. In retrospect, I'm wondering if I could have actually written a better CV and cover letter - I've applied to so many call centre jobs that I've been copying and pasting (and occasionally, altering slightly) the same cover letter.
    I know that my CV looks good and is well laid out, at least, but I could have aimed it at this job specifically.

I'm wondering could I apply online again - would they notice? Would it make me look stupid?

OR could I email the HR department with better versions of both, explaining that I had applied already, and I really want the job and that it would be a mistake for them to not even interview me?

I've had interviews last week with other companies, which are actually more reputable than this one and wouldn't hurt to have on my CV. I think I have a strong chance of getting them - interviews went really well, and I have loads of experience.
    I wonder could I say to A that these other companies are options for me, but I would rather work for A.
    I know it's good to be enthusiastic and that you have to be pushy, but I'm worried that I might cross a line.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

In retrospect, I'm wondering if I could have actually written a better CV and cover letter...

I know that my CV looks good and is well laid out, at least, but I could have aimed it at this job specifically.
    I've a professional friend that manages HR for a Johnson & Johnson division, and they have suggested that a serious candidate for a job vacancy will first research the company and position requirements in great detail before applying. Second, they will tailor their resume or CV (depending upon requested format) to the company and job position, not lying or fudging, but illustrating how their experience, education, and skills match up with the specific position.

In like manner the cover letter should reflect an understanding of the specific company research, products, and/or services, along with a very brief reference to your job position match. If I were applying to a corporation like Johnson & Johnson, I would make reference to the JNJ Credo and mission (which appears on the Annual Report), and blow their socks off! Generic letters often end up in the "thanks but no thanks" pile in her office.

Those resumes and CVs that look generic and are sent out in mass to prospective employers are what she calls the applicant "shotgun approach," which rarely lands in the 1st priority stack for possible followup interview purposes in her office.
    I'm wondering could I apply online again - would they notice? Would it make me look stupid?
    I would exercise caution about duplicating job applications (i.e., it's almost like spamming a prospective employer?). If invited to interview, you could bring a well researched and specifically tailored resume or CV with you, explaining how you thought such detail would aid them in their review of your qualifications and job fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

Black Swan wrote: »
    In like manner the cover letter should reflect an understanding of the specific company research, products, and/or services, along with a very brief reference to your job position match. If I were applying to a corporation like Johnson & Johnson, I would make reference to the JNJ Credo and mission (which appears on the Annual Report), and blow their socks off! Generic letters often end up in the "thanks but no thanks" pile in her office.

Those resumes and CVs that look generic and are sent out in mass to prospective employers are what she calls the applicant "shotgun approach," which rarely lands in the 1st priority stack for possible followup interview purposes in her office.

I would exercise caution about duplicating job applications (i.e., it's almost like spamming a prospective employer?). If invited to interview, you could bring a well researched and specifically tailored resume or CV with you, explaining how you thought such detail would aid them in their review of your qualifications and job fit.

I think my cover letter isn't too bad, since it's aimed at call centre - customer service roles, which is what I'm applying for, and I would edit it a little based on the skills & responsibilities listed. But, I do agree with what you said about making it company specific.

I haven't heard back from them yet - only applied on Thursday, and I get the feeling that they're desperately looking for people, so I think there's a few recruitment agencies looking for them, as well as letting people apply through their website - which is why I thought I should email HR and say something along the lines of
    "I applied, I think I could have made a better impression, let me rectify that.
    Here are the reasons why it would be a mistake for you to not interview me- *lists reasons*
    I have other opportunities with more established and more reputable companies such as *names companies I've interviewed with*, but I want to work for YOU.
    I hope you will get back to me"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

"I applied, I think I could have made a better impression, let me rectify that.
    Here are the reasons why it would be a mistake for you to not interview me- *lists reasons*
    I have other opportunities with more established and more reputable companies such as *names companies I've interviewed with*, but I want to work for YOU.
    I hope you will get back to me"

I wouldn't say that it would be a mistake for them not to interview you. It makes you sound arrogant rather than confident. It would be better to say "I think I have a lot of skills that could benefit your company such as ..."

Definitely do not say you have other opportunities with other more reputable and more established companies ... That's basically insulting their company and it sounds like you are saying that they better get you quick or someone will snap you up. You could mention it if you do get an interview and say something like "I do have some interviews for similar roles with other companies but this is the role I really want"

Advertisement