Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link AV600 Gigabit Powerline Adapter [Twin pack]

Options
  • 30-05-2014 8:17pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

31OaSExE9yL._SY300_.jpg

Buy @ Amazon.co.uk - £29.97 free delivery

Product Description
    TP-LINK AV600 Gigabit Powerline Adapter Starter Kit - Twin Pack

TP-LINK AV600 Gigabit Powerline Adapter TL-PA6010 turns your existing electrical circuitry into a high speed network with no need for new wires or drilling. No configuration is required, simply plug your adapters into your power sockets to establish networking infrastructure in a flash. With speeds of up to 600Mbps, TL-PA6010 can transmit multiple HD streams and even 3D movies to every room, making it a great choice for an easy to build multimedia entertainment network.
    Up to 600Mbps for up to 300 Meters

With advanced HomePlug AV technology, TL-PA6010 provides users with stable, high-speed data transfer rates of up to 600Mbps on a line length of up to 300 meters. Together with its built-in AES encryption, the TL-PA6010 is a great choice for a whole-home solution to connect all network compatible devices, from computers and game consoles to set-top boxes for IPTV to printers and NAS hard drives.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ryanmatty

These are a bit better value and also have a pass through so you can still use the power point.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005KTM2G6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ryanmatty wrote: »
    These are a bit better value and also have a pass through so you can still use the power point.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005KTM2G6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The trade off is they are rated for a max of 200Mb/s, and in reality you will get a lot slow than that. Just FYI more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Excellent price for this particular set - those that know their powerline networks will know what I mean - thanks for sharing - ordered...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If I bought 4 of these could I connect up multiple devices?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

danthefan wrote: »
    If I bought 4 of these could I connect up multiple devices?

Yes...although you will need ethernet cables to make use of these. Which means that any devices will also need to have ethernet ports. So you're talking laptops/desktops. And it should be noted that the speed through such devices will be quite slow regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

By such devices do you mean power line adapters in general?

Anyone who has these faster ones what speeds do you get. I get 70~80 max on my 200 set. Though my laptops only have 100 ethernet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

And it should be noted that the speed through such devices will be quite slow regardless.

I had no speed decrease whatsoever over the older model AV200's. I'm on a 50/15 eFibre profile and I get 47/14 rock solid plugged straight into the router and the same at the other end of the TP-Links. Maybe there's a difference with faster connections or maybe it's because my wiring is new.

The trade off is they are rated for a max of 200Mb/s, and in reality you will get a lot slow than that. Just FYI more than anything.

And when it comes to comp nets ur network is only as fast as it's weakest link. And so it comes down to ur broadband speeds in most cases. So having a 200Mb/s compared to the faster rated ones makes no difference. If ur broadband speed is say 100 mb/s having
    the 600 compared to the 200 makes no difference. The max speed u will ever have is 100 mb/s in the transmission. Also the snr (signal to noise ratio) of the conductor will have an affect on the transmissions speeds between ur points also.

Unless u have a NAS box in ur home having the faster links will make no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

I take it you have not tested these devices then? if so, you would know of the considerable difference between 200Mb "AV+" powerline devices with 100Mb Ethernet connections and a 600Mb "gigabit" powerline adapter. Obviously it won't be even near gigabit, but it is well above 100Mbit ethernet, which is a lot better than the "200Mb"devices. If you're going to provide advice, advise based on experience.
    ryanmatty wrote: »
    And when it comes to comp nets ur network is only as fast as it's weakest link. And so it comes down to ur broadband speeds in most cases. So having a 200Mb/s compared to the faster rated ones makes no difference. If ur broadband speed is say 100 mb/s having
    the 600 compared to the 200 makes no difference. The max speed u will ever have is 100 mb/s in the transmission. Also the snr (signal to noise ratio) of the conductor will have an affect on the transmissions speeds between ur points also.

Unless u have a NAS box in ur home having the faster links will make no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Yes...although you will need ethernet cables to make use of these. Which means that any devices will also need to have ethernet ports. So you're talking laptops/desktops. And it should be noted that the speed through such devices will be quite slow regardless.

Well yeah I meant a PC, PlayStation and laptop.

As for the bolded, I've them all connected up with WiFi at the moment, would they be slower than WiFi?

• Advertisement

And i dont dispute the fact that the 600mb/s device has a higher transmission rating compared to the 200mb/s.

But if your using these in a home dsl network environment having the faster rated one makes no difference what so ever. Its restricted by the speed of the data that is entering the devices. And so your broadband connection speed is the max you will get. For example if your watching iptv setup over them. The streaming speed you are getting is say 3-5 mb/s for standard definition. The speed the data travels over the connectors will be only 3-5 mb/s.

I have tested a couple of these devices in both a lab and home environment. The most interesting issue i have come across is the data been picked up in another house. In ireland we have a 3 phase set up and so each house is on a different phase. The houses in question were connected on the same phase and the data was traveling through it to the next house on the same phase.

fmul9798 wrote: »
    I take it you have not tested these devices then? if so, you would know of the considerable difference between 200Mb "AV+" powerline devices with 100Mb Ethernet connections and a 600Mb "gigabit" powerline adapter. Obviously it won't be even near gigabit, but it is well above 100Mbit ethernet, which is a lot better than the "200Mb"devices. If you're going to provide advice, advise based on experience.

How did you test it was picked up in another house.

I wonder with a gigabit lan card and one of these would I see closer to the 120 upc I have. Though Id prefer one that's a WiFi repeater as N is very inconsistent in my gaff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Now £49.99 offer expired :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Why are they called gigabit, yet rated 600Mbps? I assumed gigabit meant 1000Mbps.

Why are they called gigabit, yet rated 600Mbps? I assumed gigabit meant 1000Mbps.

Lots of factors like wiring can reduce it.

Advertisement