Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ancient Tara monument vandalised

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Not really the most impressive structure to begin with now was it.
    History & all in very nice but this is just an odd shaped rock stuck in the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Could this be construed as just another step in the long journey that is the history of Tara, I say leave the paint and in thousands of years they will say that they painted it black to worship mammon and bring good fortune and wealth on the land

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Mr. Nice wrote: »
    Why? Somebody poured paint over a stone. I think you need some perspective.
    Have you ever taken the time to visit Tara?

It was black paint so it must have been the blacks. Lets blame all blacks. Bloodly Kiwis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

You're making a lot of assumptions about my car(s) for a 3. guy who can't spell Whisk(e)y correctly :)

And I agree that wanton vandalism is disappointing and annoying. 1.I speak as a former wanton vandal who is now a responsible father.

No bother if they try to charge to get in. 2. I could go through one of the neighbours' fields.

1. Ooooohhh...it's all coming out now!!

2. As for the neighbours field, what about the rest of us???

3. You can spell whisky both ways. Whiskey and whisky. ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You're making a lot of assumptions about my car(s) for a guy who can't spell Whisk(e)y correctly :)

And I agree that wanton vandalism is disappointing and annoying. I speak as a former wanton vandal who is now a responsible father.

As I averred to earlier, a paint removal company morkeshing department could turn this into a PR coup...

No bother if they try to charge to get in. I could go through one of the neighbours' fields.

It's spelled Whisky in Scotland, smarty pants. :pac:
    Plus I don't think you're very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Mr. Nice

whupdedo wrote: »
    Could this be construed as just another step in the long journey that is the history of Tara, I say leave the paint and in thousands of years they will say that they painted it black to worship mammon and bring good fortune and wealth on the land

Quoted because I can't thank twice.
    They should put a sign beside it that says it has particular cultural significance to 21st century Ireland as some unknown twat decided it looked better in black.

It's spelled Whisky in Scotland, smarty pants. :pac:
    Plus I don't think you're very nice.

boards.ie not not .scot
    I'm not very nice, my name refers to my location and a hero of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

boards.ie not not .scot

Clearly wasting my time here with an imbecile. Good day to you sir.:p

maguic24 wrote: »
    1. Ooooohhh...it's all coming out now!!

Yes, you must be one of the fortunate ones who skipped straight from childhood to adulthood, skipping adolescence.
    2. As for the neighbours field, what about the rest of us???

I'll ask, he might agree to keep the bull indoors on Tuesdays.
    3. You can spell whisky both ways. Whiskey and whisky. ;) :pac:

You can, but Whisky will still be wrong. :D

Clearly wasting my time here with an imbecile. Good day to you sir.:p

And good infraction to you sir.
    Last time I (justifiably) used that term I got a week off.

• Advertisement

boards.ie not not .scot

It's actually spelt whisky in several different countries and I'm going to take a wild guess and say not all of us on boards are Irish.

It's actually spelt whisky in several different countries and I'm going to take a wild guess and say not all of us on boards are Irish.

Bwaahhahahaha, check the URL.
    And we have come full circle from cultural vandalism to spelling pedantry.
    I love boards.
    Have to go now, need to cook dinner for the kids.

Sorry for going OT mods. Seems that spelling is more important than hand-wringing about a random old stone.

Bwaahhahahaha, check the URL.
    And we have come full circle from cultural vandalism to spelling pedantry.
    I love boards.
    Have to go now, need to cook dinner for the kids.

Sorry for going OT mods. Seems that spelling is more important than hand-wringing about a random old stone.

You were the one who started it if I remember correctly??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just wait till they're caught. We'll have some legal aid type telling us how misunderstood his client is etc.

Tie them to the pillar and cover in black paint. See how they feel about it then.

Of course this should be executed by the judicial system as boards doesn't support vigilantism or other illegal acts. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TheGlass

Yes, you must be one of the fortunate ones who skipped straight from childhood to adulthood, skipping adolescence.

Adolescence doesn't involve vandalism for most people. Its about decency, not luck

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

.. the phallic stone symbol. And, it's only paint - it will come off.
    You know what they say about phalluses:
    Once you go black...

TheGlass wrote: »
    Adolescence doesn't involve vandalism for most people. Its about decency, not luck

Come back and let us know when you're finished adolescence then. If you are an adult and have never done anything ill-advised, dumb, embarrassing or criminal - frankly you've missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Mr. Nice - your pro mindless vandalism candidate for Europe.

Mr. Nice - your pro mindless vandalism candidate for Europe.

Where have I advocated mindless vandalism?

In Mr Nice's defence, I think most of us have done some pretty ****ty things as teenagers. I know I have (not vandalism) but other things I'm not particularly proud of.

I wish I had no better but sure you live and you learn. You can't know everything at 15/16, even though a lot of us thought we were fountains of knowledge at that age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

People who vandalise our shared heritage are some of the lowest of the low.

The biggest culprits of this have been, and it remains the case, the government.

The biggest culprits of this have been, and it remains the case, the government.

You don't need to go further than Wood Quay to prove that. And in the ultimately ironic stroke, they built the effing City Council offices on top of one of the (arguably) most archaeologically important sites in the city.
    But, who cares for my opinion, I once vandalised Limerick train station so I'm equally culpable :rolleyes:

Come back and let us know when you're finished adolescence then. If you are an adult and have never done anything ill-advised, dumb, embarrassing or criminal - frankly you've missed out.

Missed out on what exactly? What fun is there in kicking mirrors off cars or defacing monuments or other vandalism?

Missed out on what exactly? What fun is there in kicking mirrors off cars or defacing monuments or other vandalism?

You'll never know until you find out I guess. I never said I was proud of my actions, but vandalism, public order offences and a few other things were part of my growing up and becoming a mature member of society.

And I fail to see the relevance of kicking the kicking mirrors off cars and defacing public monuments reference. Unless you know my complete history, I'd advise that you refrain from conjecture...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

Ireland has history before 1916 ?

You'll never know until you find out I guess. I never said I was proud of my actions, but vandalism, public order offences and a few other things were part of my growing up and becoming a mature member of society.
    That doesn't mean its right, good, normal or 'living'. You don't need to be a vandal to grow up or mature, or to enjoy your adolescence. I fail to see how getting brought up on public order offences would add to the enjoyment of life at any point in time.

And I fail to see the relevance of kicking the kicking mirrors off cars and defacing public monuments reference. Unless you know my complete history, I'd advise that you refrain from conjecture...[/QUOTE]
    It was the first random act of pointless stupid vandalism that came to mind.

That doesn't mean its right, good, normal or 'living'. You don't need to be a vandal to grow up or mature, or to enjoy your adolescence. I fail to see how getting brought up on public order offences would add to the enjoyment of life at any point in time.

And I fail to see the relevance of kicking the kicking mirrors off cars and defacing public monuments reference. Unless you know my complete history, I'd advise that you refrain from conjecture...
    It was the first random act of pointless stupid vandalism that came to mind.[/QUOTE]

Never said it was "good" "right" or "normal", or that it added to my enjoyment of life. People do stupid things, then some people grow up and see it was wrong.
    I never enjoyed being on the wrong side of the law, especially when I was caught, but that's how it is.
    Maybe you'll understand when you have as much life experience as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Metal_Maiden

To our ancestors this would have been like the worst of bad luck for the country. Utter sacrilege. That stone was VERY important to them.

To our ancestors this would have been like the worst of bad luck for the country. Utter sacrilege. That stone was VERY important to them.

Are you trolling?
    How was that piece of granite important?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Metal_Maiden

Are you trolling?
    How was that piece of granite important?

Either you're trolling or you're highly ignorant. In their mythology, it was brought to Ireland by the Tuatha Dé as one of the four treasures of Ireland. It was supposed to cry out under a true king. This was very important to them, as it symbolised the land and the Tuatha Dé approving of the ruler, who was then qualified to uphold cór (rightness) for the land. Here, from the Second Battle of Moytura:

There were four cities in which they were learning lore and science and magic arts, to wit Falias and Gorias, Murias and Findias.Out of Falias was brought the Stone of Fál, which was in Tara. It used to roar under every king that would take the realm of Ireland.Out of Gorias was brought the Spear that Lugh had. No battle was ever won against it or him who held it in his hand.Out of Findias was brought the Sword of Nuada. When it was drawn from its deadly sheath, no one ever escaped from it, and it was irresistible. Out of Murias was brought the Dagdae's Caldron. No company ever went from it unthankful.

Advertisement