Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bathroom tiling and electrics

Options
  • 26-05-2014 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I want to tile a recessed shower (2360 * 730 * 3) . also bathroom floor 1300 * 1250. I will need work done also on another bathroom which will need to be done when this one is finished. That would be 5.2msq for the shower and about 2msq for the floor. For now i'd like to know if anybody could tell me roughly how much i should expect to pay for this job.

I am also getting an electric shower fitted and believe i have to get a special cable run fro the fusebox in the garage up to the bathroom on the second floor - prob 7m. How much should i expect to pay for this? materials and labour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

katuxini wrote: »
    I want to tile a recessed shower (2360 * 730 * 3) . also bathroom floor 1300 * 1250. I will need work done also on another bathroom which will need to be done when this one is finished. That would be 5.2msq for the shower and about 2msq for the floor. For now i'd like to know if anybody could tell me roughly how much i should expect to pay for this job.

I am also getting an electric shower fitted and believe i have to get a special cable run fro the fusebox in the garage up to the bathroom on the second floor - prob 7m. How much should i expect to pay for this? materials and labour
    The labour for tiling should be around €300 / €400. The electric shower should be around €600 supplied & fitted. Triton t90z is the best electric shower at the moment. Mira elite st comes 2nd place & the other makes are mostly rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 46 katuxini

Thanks, thats great. I already have the shower bought. So you reckon for plumber + electrician , it should cost 300 - 400€ altogether?

Thanks, thats great. I already have the shower bought. So you reckon for plumber + electrician , it should cost 300 - 400€ altogether?

It usually works out more expensive if you provide the shower yourself (tradesmen hate to see an opened box). But labour and materials, except for the shower itself, should be around €400

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

It usually works out more expensive if you provide the shower yourself (tradesmen hate to see an opened box). But labour and materials, except for the shower itself, should be around €400

Excluding vat, waste disposal, materials?

BryanF wrote: »
    Excluding vat, waste disposal, materials?

The €400 above does not cover tilling. So no removal of waste.
    €400 covers rcbo, cable, pull cord & back box, half inch pipe, tank connection, leaver valve. It doesn't include the new shower.

Price should include vat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Hi
    Just be aware a power shower uses a lot of water last year I put in a new Triton power Shower and it pumps several liters of water before it heats up .If i was to repeat this installation again I would install an Eco Shower. I have not identified what shower I would use but with three women in our house I am not looking forward to the water charges. Good luck with the Job.

TOEJOE wrote: »
    Hi
    Just be aware a power shower uses a lot of water last year I put in a new Triton power Shower and it pumps several liters of water before it heats up .If i was to repeat this installation again I would install an Eco Shower. I have not identified what shower I would use but with three women in our house I am not looking forward to the water charges. Good luck with the Job.

A power shower uses between 10 litres & 18 litres. A 10 minute shower could use as much water as having a bath. However op is looking for an electric shower. These use between 3 & 6 litres per minute, depending on the temperature of the water in the attic. Uses less water in the winter & around 6 litres per minute in the summer.

to sum up -

tiling should be 3-400€ -
    plumbing and electrical around 400€ labour. Should 1 person be able to do both jobs or should i get quotes from 2 different tradesmen

i'll look after waste disposal myself .

Its an electric pumped shower that i'm putting in - the triton t90

to sum up -

tiling should be 3-400€ -
    plumbing and electrical around 400€ labour. Should 1 person be able to do both jobs or should i get quotes from 2 different tradesmen

i'll look after waste disposal myself .

Its an electric pumped shower that i'm putting in - the triton t90

Tiling would be €300 to €400 for each bathroom not for both bathrooms. It would work out cheaper to get both rooms tiled at the same time. You need a proper tiler for this. Most handymen wouldn't be good enough.

€400 should cover the triton t90z installation with you suppling the shower. By law you must use a registered electrician to work on the fuse box. Some electricians will Plumb in the shower too. So long as they take a separate half inch feed directly from the tank in the attic they can't go too far wrong.

You can also use a shower installation company for the triton shower. They would be around the same price. These companies have a slight edge on using your own electrician or plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Whatever you do get a good recommended tiler, not a handyman, to tile your Bathrooms. The tiles can be the best in the world, but will still look crap if not done by a quality tiler.
    Most electricians are very capable of doing the complete shower installation, but a good plumber can still only do part of the electrical work.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone - it couldn't be clearer than that!

Advertisement