Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little bit of everything, just faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Ticking over Christmas betweens beer and food.

Thursday 19th 16km

Sunday 38km

Met up with dogsly to run the Dublin mountain way at night. Fantastic run, started around 3pm. Weather was awful starting, heavy sleet. Was looking like it'll be a long night. However, it cleared up after about 30 mins or so and the light was lovely heading up the mountains and the city lights behind us. Felt good and the kms were clicking by. Bit of snow/sleet on the ground as we got higher. There's a lot of climbing, pretty much constant for 10 miles through quiet roads and suprisingly picturesque settings. Think Postman Pat. Think it started to snow just as we got to the back of Cruagh and the small off road section that cuts through the felled forest. Really nice section with the snow and the fading light. We put on the head torches from here on in. Lots of snow in Cruagh, a few cms thick.

Into Tibradden and the snow was really starting to fall, making it difficult to see as the light from the head torched just illuminated the snow. Just as we were about to head on to the open mountain, there was a massive flash followed by immediate clap of thunder. Scared the crap out of me. A brief discussion followed which revealed neither of us could remember what to do in the event of lightening. While waiting, another bang of thunder right over head. We waited a while and decided to head across Tibradden. Snow was really thick underfood, lovely crunch to it. Path was hard to see. I was still worried about the lightening so put the foot down. I decided it might be an idea to give two rock a miss and head down to the road that leads to Johnny Foxes.

The road section was ok, legs were still ok, filled up with water at Foxes and then onto last section at Scalp. This section was great as the waymarker signs shone with the light from the headtorches so easy to find our way through. Reached the end with 38km on the watch. Great run and training for Art O'Neill, huge confidence boost.

Tuesday
    5km recovery run

Wednesday 4km
    Goal mile. Managed to make the last wave at Tallaght. Enjoyable run, 5.32 for the mile. Didn't push too hard as I wrecked myself last year doing it!

Thursday 16km
    Up around Tallaght reservoir. Lovely day for it, lots of people walking off the turkey. Legs felt great.

Sunday 30km Ticknock to end of Dublin mtn way
    Spur of the moment. Pretty much the second half of the DMW, with a net downhill. Huge numbers on Ticknock. Legs were ok but last 15km were a bit of an effort, legs were fairly hammered from the downhill on the roads.

Monday 5km recovery.

And that's pretty much it for 2013! Will taper now for the next 10 days till Art O'Neill (mini) ultra. In good shape leading into the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Excellent training, great prep for AON!

Tues Dec 31st 7km

Decided to get one more run in on New Year's Eve. Handy pace for an easy 8km. 7th km got a very sharp pain in the knee, no warning. Went from discomfort to having to stop in 400 metres or so. Came out of no-where. Walked home and had to limp out for a few pints later.

Wednesday 7km.

Huzzah, first run of 2014. Long story short, I somehow sprained my mediate cruciate ligament during the easy run. No idea how. It's typically an injury a footballer gets from an impact tackle, very common in NFL. Runners can also injure it when the knee is twisted. I didn't twist my knee during the easy run. Odd. Anyhow, trip to physio, exercises, massages etc, seems to be working. Still a niggle there but got the go ahead for Art O'Neill on Friday.

My last two injuries were down to random events rather than overtraining etc so hopefully a luckier year ahead.

All set for Art otherwise. Hoping for a time closer to 7 hours than 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Best of luck tomorrow chief.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck with AON

• Advertisement

Art O'Neill race report

Build up wasn't ideal but had put in some decent long runs so was hoping to go reasonably well in the race. Compared to previous years, there were more runners, a few I recognised, so arguably it was the most competitive field so far for the race. Plan was to go under 8 hours and aim for closer to 7.

Got to Dublin Castle just before midnight and checked all my kit in and settled in for the 2 hour wait.

Dublin Castle to CP 1

Plan was to aim for 4.30min/km pace for the first 10 miles or so. First few kms flew by and soon found myself running with Dogsly and two others. Pace felt fine and we weren't too far behind the leaders and the kms flew by. My knee felt fine but on a slight downhill over a bridge, I got a sharp pain in the knee so downed a neurofen. One runner who I knew came by us and put in a decent gap on the first climb towards Stone Cross. We would be of similar ability but I decided I wasn't going to get into a race yet.

Around 14km in, Dogsly started to pull away. I was kind of relieved. I wanted to run my own race and at times I wasn't sure if I was running his or my pace. The climb was fairly steep and got into a nice rhythm. I was on my own and enjoying the solitide. After the climb, around 16km in, the first descent was painful on my knee. Wasn't too concerned as it was fine on the flat and climbing and if anything, it was probably stopping me from hammering the descents. Went through a bad spell shortly after the downhill. There was still another 10km of road and my feet and legs were just dead. No spring in the step. I tried to up the tempo but legs wouldn't respond. I wasn't tired or sore, just legs were dead. Was hating the race at this stage. Got caught by a big bunch of runners here and was contemplating throwing in the towel here. Head was gone.

Legs recovered a bit in the small off road section and eventually reached the first checkpoint. A very quick change of runners, necked a bottle of lucozade sport and grabbed a chicken soup to drink on the run.

CP 1 to CP 2

Legs started to come back alive on the off road section. Tough boggy climb to reach the open mountain which allowed me to catch some runners. The fog was really thick, people 15 metres away would disappear, despite head torches. I didn't recognise any of the terrain, just an idea of the general direction I should be going. The idea is to hit Billy Byrne's Gap whichi about 32km in. Then you can either head straight for the river and follow it to the forest or stay high on the solid ground which is faster but harder to navigate.

Took out the GPS which showed I was on the right course to stay high. I met two runners, one of which was the guy who passed me earlier on the road climb. We were heading for the same route, contouring around the river and staying high. I was glad of the company as it was a bit freaky walking across the mountain on my own, completely blinded by fog.

We only knew we reached the top of the pass when the terrain started going downhill. Most of this section was hiked, picking up the pace once we were out of the fog. We nailed the navigation and hit the gap in the forest bang on and ran into checkpoint CP2. I was feeling great. I knew we had picked up a lot of places on that section and we were still moving well. The three of us stayed together and agreed we'd run the last section together.

CP2 to Art's Cross to finish.

Bouyed by the good middle section, we hit the last section running, keen to catch anyone ahead and more importantly, not be caught. A look at the watches suggested we could get under 7 hours so that was the aim. Felt v strong on this section and was able to run most of the open mountain section. We decided for the route to Art's Cross. It's about 500 metres longer than the alternative route but it's more runnable except for the last climb which is a hands on knee/ground affair. It was still dark climbing and we could see lights chasing which pushed us on. Eventually we topped out and could see two runners ahead. We gave chase immediately and seemed to catch them by surprise as they suddenly up the pace. The runner I knew dropped off so now there was just two of us chasing the two ahead. 47km and we're now racing to the finish. Again we nailed the navigation, we had good visibility so could see a ridge in the direction of where we should be heading.

We caught the two lads on the boggy section. One of them dropped off so it was now just the three of us on the last descent. It was manic running, slipping everywhere as the race was still very much on. We crissed crossed the river 6 or 7 times, on the heels of each other before reaching the main trail. The runner we had caught just took off and we both let him go. Didn't have the legs to give chase and knee was v sore.

The pair of us decided to run in the last 3km together. It was a good partnership. He dragged me along in places and I saved us a bit of time on the first off road section. It was nervous last few minutes, would've been sickening to be caught now. Crossed the line for joint 6th in just over 6 hours 35. Knocked 90 minutes of last year's time. Really happy with the time if just a little bit disappointed with the road section. Happy that I was able to dig in after the bad spell. Speaking afterwards, a lot of mountain runners found the road tough. I don't think I've run enough miles on the road which killed my legs.

Feeling relatively good afterwards. Left foot is a bit sore from the uneven terrain and left knee is still sore. Superb race. Hope it's back next year although looks unlikely at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Art O'Neill race report

Around 14km in, Dogsly started to pull away. I was kind of relieved. I wanted to run my own race and at times I wasn't sure if I was running his or my pace. The climb was fairly steep and got into a nice rhythm. I was on my own and enjoying the solitide.

Wuss!:P

CP2 to Art's Cross to finish.

Bouyed by the good middle section, we hit the last section running, keen to catch anyone ahead and more importantly, not be caught. A look at the watches suggested we could get under 7 hours so that was the aim. Felt v strong on this section and was able to run most of the open mountain section. We decided for the route to Art's Cross. It's about 500 metres longer than the alternative route but it's more runnable except for the last climb which is a hands on knee/ground affair. It was still dark climbing and we could see lights chasing which pushed us on. Eventually we topped out and could see two runners ahead.

Having ran both the longer route to the cross and the shorter route bypassing the cross I think the route straight up to the cross is the better option. At that stage in a tough race taking the option with the more runnable ground is the right choice even if it is slightly longer.

Wuss!:P

Having ran both the longer route to the cross and the shorter route bypassing the cross I think the route straight up to the cross is the better option. At that stage in a tough race taking the option with the more runnable ground is the right choice even if it is slightly longer.

Ha! Three's a crowd. I didn't even think about upping the pace at that stage. Got stuck in no-man's land then for a while tho.

I think I made the right choice re last section, not that it was planned. The time for the section was pretty good. One of the lads reckon it'd be quicker via the cross but would go the other way if I knew the route well. Discussion was on how well we knew the route and which was more runnable.

Ticking over since AON. Took a week off as knee was sore and still not 100%.

Mon 20th 7km 4.32km/min pace

Tues 21st 8km 4.30km/min pace.

Thurs 23rd easy 7km

Sat Jan 25th 5km 4.17 km/min pace

Sun Jan 26th 11.5km hill run Ticknock.

Mon Jan 27th 11km 4.36 min/km pace, knee sore after 7km

Tuesday 28th 4 * 1km intervals. Roughly 3.30min/km pace.
    Changed shoes into DS racers, my regular shoe just doesn’t feel right, maybe contributing to knee pain. Knee felt fine after this session.

Thursday 30th 1 mile reps. First club session in ages. Session was 3 * 1 mile on the grass with one min recovery. Not sure of splits as I messed it up on my watch but roughly: 6.16, 6.10, 6.08.
    Pushed on the last one. Then some lads decided to do another. So what the heck, took it a bit slower, 6.24. Knee felt fine throughout.

Not sure what the trouble with the knee is. Originally it was my mediate cruciate ligament but now starting to think it may also be runner’s knee as I ramped up the mile pretty quickly in December along with a lot of downhill running which is a classic (so google tells me) recipe for it.

It's fine on the fast short stuff. Not a peep out of since I changed shoes and did sessions while running. Odd niggle while sitting at desk etc.

Sunday easy five mile

Spent morning marshalling IMRA race. Good craic to watch the races, lots of different techniques on display, people were easily making 5/6 seconds on just one muddy corner depending on how they took it.

Easy flat five miles, felt pretty good. Core work, planks (hold for a min) and other exercises. Planks never get easier

Monday 10km
    Hungover to bits doing this. Over indulged watching the Super Bowl. Knee got a bit creaky for the last 500 metres.

Tuesday 2 * 2miles reps 8.5km
    Plan was to do the reps before the storm hit. Alas, the storm hit before I went out the door. It was refreshing until I hit the coast line and was met with driving rain. It was actually unrunnable. Some poor cyclists had to abandon their bikes such was the wind. So headed for shelter and had a fantastic run in the rain. Good dj mix, one of the tunes that came on was "impression of a rainstorm."
    Core work out

Wednesday 3 * 1200 metres 11.5km total
    Lunchtime run, lovely blue skies, not a hint of wind.

Had plan to run 1600 metres but turns out the road I was using was only 1200.
    Pace was 3.40km/min, 3.35, 3.39.
    The last two were more comfortable than the first. A further 6km as the weather was lovely.

Still testing the knee so keeping the mileage low. The odd niggle but no problems doing intervals. Seems to get a bit stiff around 11km mark but that's up from 7km last week.

Plan is to follow Daniels 15km plan again while introducing longer runs with a plan to aim for Mourne Ultra. Had hoped to to Wicklow Way Ultra but I think the 26km race will be far more beneficial in the long run.

• Advertisement

Before I forget

Thursday 11km with 25 minutes uphill treadmill.

Got this advice from T Runner re climb training on a treadmill. Will try and do this weekly and measure the results. In theory, the distance the treadmill records should reduce and the speed should go up.

3km warm up before a lot of faffing around on treadmill. Couldn’t figure out the speed, whether it was km or miles etc so pace all over the shop.

Put slope on 10%. Started off slow enough before upping the pace after 5 mins after I figured out the speed was in kmph and not mph. Last 7 mins or so legs began to tire and could start feeling the burn.

Upped the pace for the last two minutes to finish. The machine gave me a distance of 4.1km. Should comfortably beat that next week given the amount of faffing around. Will then have a target each time. Next week, will set the speed higher from the start.

Interestingly, the garmin 220 gave me a pace of around 4.55min/km and seems to have made a good attempt at predicting the workout based on the built-in accelerometer. Accurately recorded me upping the pace.

Apparently, the accelerometer works based on the data it records when you use the GPS and refines that data each time you run outside.

Monday 13km 611 metre climb

Powerscourt and Sugar Loaf

Plan was to run up to Djouce but the weather took a turn for the worst with winter showers of sleet and snow just as I was getting to the shoulder. Decided to retreat. Lovely run though, wasn't too wet up there. Managed to run the whole route, usually hike the climb out from the River Dargle heading back to the carpark.

On the drive home, I decided to give Sugar Loaf a go, maybe even bag a Strava KOM. Only 3km out and back from the south side of it so it's a fun scramble. Kept a decent pace right up until the point you have to use your hands. Crazy wind at the top so didn't hang around. 4th overall on Strava. I reckon 1st is for the taking, will make it a mini-project on runs back from Wicklow.

Knee feels 99% now so hopefully get back to full training this week and start increasing the kms and race IMRA at the weekend.

43.5km for the week

Tuesday 30 min tempo

3.54 km/min pace (6.17 mile)

Good session between avoiding commuters/paths etc. Did 27 mins rather than the planned 30 as simply ran out of road and wasn't pushed doubling back on myself. Last 2 km was 3.50 which I reckon is what I should be doing. Comfortable enough finishing besides creaky knee.

11.75km total.

Wednesday 6.5km recovery
    Did this before the great wind came. 4.55 pace. Nice "fresh" run. Knee was ok.

Thursday treadmill climb 25 mins
    3km warm up outside. Set the slope to 10 degrees and set off at 11kmph. Bit too hot, so did 10 mins at 10.5kmph and the last 15 mins at 10kmph.

Good hard session, with the distance reading 4.28, an improvement on last week of 4.1. Probably try and reverse it next week. No pain from the knee.

11.21km total.

Sunday Trooperstown IMRA race 9.7km

Ouch. First IMRA race of the year. First race back, I wasn’t sure who I should be chasing/staying behind.
    Race started off at a decent clip, 2km on the fireroad. None of the real fast lads where there which meant I was in touch with 1st place until we got onto the trail. Was running with a regular foe when a familiar face came by and I decided to go with him. Far more comfortable on the off road and we started to open a gap.

According to strava, I was 15 seconds quicker on the 800 metres to the first summit than last year. Sloppy Caught a quick look at the views from the top, a few snowy peaks in the distance. Struggled on the following downhill, 1.5km or so.

It’s a gradual slope but my legs were struggling to turnover and could hear runners behind me closing in. Was in around 10th position with 9th in sight. In the distance, I could see a group of 4 or so. I was getting caught from behind but at the same time, we seemed to be gaining on the group in front.

The final climb was tough, a gain of 100 metres. Strava has me one second quicker than last year over the first section. But I remember that year I was in a heap, this year, my legs felt strong on the climbs. Nonetheless, I was caught by one or two runners here. I tucked in behind and stuck to their heels to the summit, one second slower than last year.

Onto the descent and I was still in touch with 2 runners or so. Caught one lad early on and hammered the descent, picking up another place over a rocky section. Strava has me 12 seconds quicker than last year over the 1.1km descent. Picked up another spot on the road section and another one when the runner I went it at the start missed the final turn in the forest section, 50 metres from the finish.
    Knocked off 90 seconds off last year’s time. Hard to compare given conditions etc .

There’s a strava running app now.

It’s fantastic for comparing your times to previous years and see where you lost time in a race. You can compare times to anyone who raced that day and uploaded their stats. I recorded the same downhill time as the guy who came 2nd but 15 seconds slower on the climb.

Monday 11.5km

Recovery run. DOMS everywhere, legs, shoulders, back. Lovely jaunt around the trails of the park.

50km for the week
    Slowly upping the kms. Knee felt fine in the race and on the recovery run. Ran five days out of the seven.

There’s a strava running app now.

It’s fantastic for comparing your times to previous years and see where you lost time in a race. You can compare times to anyone who raced that day and uploaded their stats. I recorded the same downhill time as the guy who came 2nd but 15 seconds slower on the climb.

Nice result. I like the IMRA Strava page - it's great to be able to compare yourself to others as regards meters climbed. You've got some lovely Course Records there too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great run Warren. You had a very quick descent from Trooperstown!

I had the opposite sort of run to you. Found the first hill hard going but the second one was fine. Love the descent :D

If you make Annacurra you should make tracks on the downhill to the end.

Tuesday easy 5 miles

Legs still wrecked, easy recovery

Wednesday 36km bike

Easy spin, decided to take a day off running. Up Howth head so bit of a climb.

Thursday treadmill session

25 mins at 10 degree slope.

Plan was 25 mins at 10.5 km/hour. But that wasn't happened. Ended up doing 16 mins at 10.3. Two min rest and 10 mins at 10km/hour. Still trying to get a feel for this session, a case of fine tuning the session. Wrecked afterwards, Will go for 20 mins at 10.3 next week.

Total treadmill distance reading 4.32km. 3km WU, KM WD.

Sunday 16km
    Lovely jaunt around the trails of the Phoenix park. Slowing increasing distance and knee felt fine.

19km mountain run
    Plan to reccee one of the long IMRA races, up by St Kevin's Way, up to Camaderry and onto Turlough Power station and back to Glendalough.

Pretty scary run in the end. Felt fine for most of the run but suddenly got light headed on top of the mountain, between two peaks in boggy ground. Would describe it as a huge sugar crash, head got foggy etc. Went from feeling great to feeling wobbly on the legs and needing to sit down. Was mildly panicked due to the location, which made it worse. Eventually managed to walk to Turlough power station which took about 20 mins and started to feel better once I was on the access road. Was a long 7km back to the car. Felt better an hour later after chocolate etc.

53km for the week, 36km bike

19km mountain run
    Plan to reccee one of the long IMRA races, up by St Kevin's Way, up to Camaderry and onto Turlough Power station and back to Glendalough.

Pretty scary run in the end. Felt fine for most of the run but suddenly got light headed on top of the mountain, between two peaks in boggy ground. Would describe it as a huge sugar crash, head got foggy etc. Went from feeling great to feeling wobbly on the legs and needing to sit down. Was mildly panicked due to the location, which made it worse. Eventually managed to walk to Turlough power station which took about 20 mins and started to feel better once I was on the access road. Was a long 7km back to the car. Felt better an hour later after chocolate etc.

Did you bring a map and compass on that recce? Any idea what brought on the sugar crash?

Did you bring a map and compass on that recce? Any idea what brought on the sugar crash?

Not sure what happened. I had all the kit, GPS and survival bag. Left my route with the gf with a rough time. I've been googling it and it may be down to a hectic weekend of beer and wine which (alcohol) can cause hypoglycemia. Scary stuff. I had gels with me too so I reckon if i took one of them I would've been fine.

Tuesday easy 8km

Easy run 4.51km/min. Legs were a bit jelly but not too bad.

Wednesday 12.8km

4.44km/min pace. Upping the kms midweek. Legs were still tired from Monday so time on feet instead of a session. 60 min run.

Thursday treadmill session

3km warm up. As per last week, headphones in, incline to 10 degrees and off I went. Stuck speed at 10.3 km per hour. Target was to hang on for 17 mins, one minute longer than last week. Managed 20 mins in the end, much easier mentally to aim for a target. Think I'm finally getting a handle on these sessions, finding what sort of pace/time I can aim for. Legs were burning for the last 5 mins or so.

2 mins rest and another six minutes at 10km/hour. 3km warm down.

Saturday 10km

First Saturday run all year I think. Avoided Friday night beers too. Tough going. Legs didn't wake up till after 5km. All very slow and awkward. 5.05min/km but great to get a run in on a Saturday.

Monday 20km hill run 667metres climb

Glendalough to Scarr. Probably the best run of the year so far. Gorgeous blue skies, stunning views for miles and a lovely single trail for a lot of the run. Followed wicklow way trail which winds through a forest. Tough climb up Paddock hill but the surface was like a putting green. Sloppy trail for a fair bit of the climb up to Scarr, lots of puddle jumping but all v runnable. 4km of climbing with the odd stop to admire the views. Got to the top with 9km on the watch. The run back was even better, lovely flowing downhill for most of the way back besides a brief 1km climb at the 15km mark. This is what running is about for me. Beautiful day, feeling great, amazing views and the kms were just clicking by with ease, crossing rivers, through forests, open mountains and a stash of chocolate.

62.62km for the week

199.1km for February

• Advertisement

Tuesday 10km recovery 4.44km/min

Easy run in the sun. Legs were dead but great for the head.

Wednesday 2 * 2 miles, 11km total

Headed to the paths near the Kyber in the park for the reps. Plan said 3 reps but decided to ease myself back in.

Initial target pace was 3.50 min/km but felt good and kept it at 3.40 ish.

First 2 miles came in at 11.52.

Second rep was obviously tougher. Pace was still roughly 3.42, last 1km I was hanging on. Second 2 miles came in at 11.47. Briefly toyed with the idea of going another 2 miles but decided not to. I swung from thinking it was the sensible choice to thinking it I was wussing out.

Thursday 7km recovery
    Sensible choice as it turned out as legs were battered with a sore thigh. Did plan for 8km but legs went from loosening out a bit to tying up around the 6km mark.

Sunday 14.63 (9 miles) 4.27 min/km
    Great run this. Didn't get a chance to get out on Fri/Sat. All on roads/paths and felt strong for the whole run. Most of the kms were under 4.30 pace without ever pushing it, pace naturally rose to 4.16 min/km towards the end and finished with a 4.11 split feeling handy.

Monday 22.5km 940 metres of climb
    Pretty sure I got a bit of a tan running today. Out for 2 and half hours on the hills. Did the first 8km or so of the Wicklow Way Trail race, along shoulder of Djouce and across the river. towards Crone Wood. Picked up the Maulin walking trail that goes from Ride Rock. Did a loop around Maulin and retraced my route back along the boardwalks. Tired legs towards the end.

65km for week
    An increase of 3km for the week. Was aiming for 70km.

Tuesday 9km recovery run

Tired legs from previous Monday’s long mountain run

Wednesday 12.7 km (8 mile)

Part road/trail/cobblestone out to Poolbeg lighthouse. The sea wall is a bit trick to run on due to uneven surface but good for ankle strength. (Probably)

Thursday treadmill session 11km

25 minutes at a slope of 10 at speed of 10.3km/hour.

The training seems to be working. Was able to complete the full 25 mins at speed of 10.3. That’s compared to 16 mins three weeks earlier and 20 mins 2 weeks ago. Using the same treadmill so should be comparable. Rough calculations has it around 440 metres of climbing.
    3km WU, 3km WD.

Sunday Hellfire route 12km ish, 550 metres climbing

Decided to combine a handy run with marking the IMRA race. Only 5km so would be easy to do. Only it wasn’t. Trees down on the course made for a lot more marking, guiding runners around fallen trees and back on to the course.
    I then couldn’t find a turn off which made for lots of frantic running back and forth, all the while time was running out before the race started. Stressful. Eventually got it done and no-one appears to have got lost.

Just finished the marking as the race started so was back running another lap to remove the tape. With all the running back and forth, I probably covered an extra 2km of the route.

Monday 20km steady 4.32 km/min pace 1 hour 31.

Nice run with a few kms sub 4.20 km/min pace. Felt great and was running smooth. Three nights on the beer left my stomach a bit tender, so I picked a route that passed numerous pubs in case of emergency. Decided to end the run a few kms early for safety reasons.

Total for the week 65km off five runs.

Happy with that and no niggles to report. 6 runs a week should bring me close to 80km (50 miles) easy enough.

A step back week this week. Wicklow Trail 25km race is on Saturday which is an A race for me.

Will give a shot at finishing under 2 hours. Did it in 2 hours 14 last year in the snow. The snow and ice looks to have added around 13 minutes to the finishing times. It’s a superb race that requires good pacing, particularly on the long tough down hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Wednesday 12.7 km (8 mile)

Part road/trail/cobblestone out to Poolbeg lighthouse. The sea wall is a bit trick to run on due to uneven surface but good for ankle strength. (Probably)

Was out there on Wednesday myself. It's a lovely run that you can't enjoy due to the surface.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Was out there on Wednesday myself. It's a lovely run that you can't enjoy due to the surface.

Ah I like the surface. Keeps it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Ah I like the surface. Keeps it interesting.

that's one word for it. I don't like not being able to enjoy the view...

Tuesday 9.5km

Easy run. Besides the weather. All four seasons, sunshine, strong hail to the face, gusts, sunshine. Strangely enjoyable.

Thursday 8km
    Just ticking over ahead of the Wicklow trail race. Used Adidas Adizero tempo 5 for only the second time. Calfs were tight afterwards.

Saturday Wicklow Way trail
    Had a tight left calf on Friday morning. I was in two minds whether to do the race but I felt I had a good performance in me. I had tight calves previously which loosened during races so decided to risk it.

Saturday morning was v cold. A rain jacket was mandatory so opted to wear a gore-tex jacket over a lighter Adidas one. Started near the front and after 1km or so, I was a few seconds off the leading pack of 5.

Was climbing well, settled into a nice pace and was happy to let the lead pack open a gap. Was joined by another runner and we swapped places as we climbed the fireroad towards the boardwalk and the incredible view over Lough Tay.
    Left calf was still tight but nothing too bad.

Was able to keep a good pace running up the steps. The wind on the boardwalk was crazy. Difficult to stay on the boardwalk, let alone run on them. A couple of times I was blown off. Tricky passing the ultra runners. Involved stepping off the boardwalk, speeding up and then trying to get back on the boardwalk without getting blown off the other side.
    Reached Djouce and caught one of the trail runners. Had a good run around the side of the djouce which is a bit technical. The sun was beating down and with the trail sheltered by the wind, I was sweating in the jacket.

I opened up a gap on the super grassy descent. Was in around 6th at this stage. Moving great and picking some nice fast lines down and then bang, face-planted into the ground on one of the easier sections. Saw stars getting up but seemed ok besides a cut knee and got back running. Two mins later the left calf just seized up, similar to a cramp and it was game over. Tried to run it off but not a hope. Made for a long walk to the next checkpoint where luckily I was able to get a lift back to the finish line.

V frustrating as I felt I had a good shot of doing well in the race. When I pulled up, I saw that I had a good gap on some fast runners and felt I could’ve maintained that gap throughout the race. Ho hum.

Calf still tight now and pulls when walking. Hopefully it’s not too bad. Google says it’s on the minor side of calf tears/strains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Google says it’s on the minor side of calf tears/strains.
    Bummer :mad:

Are you going to see a physio type person about that?

Bummer :mad:

Are you going to see a physio type person about that?

Yup, went to physio, grade 2 calf strain. 4 - 8 weeks recovery. Partial tear.

Which means bike training starts this weekend ;) Every cloud. Just as well the clocks go forward this weekend.

I’ll try this one more time.
    Main races entered are the Beast of Ballyhoura in 12 weeks’ time and Lake District 50 mile ultra. The ultra is looking like 50/50 whether I run it given lack of long runs and it’s the week before the Beast.

So more or less out for 7 weeks since a grade 2 calf tear in March. Been slowly building the miles up and messing about on the bike.

Last week was the first decent week I had.

Monday Howth Head cycle 36.5km
    A soggy cycle but some spectacular views of the cloud bursts in Dublin bay. Last 10km were a bit of grind.

Tuesday 5km and core/leg exercises 4.35 min/km
    Easy 5km followed by some leg exercises and core work in the park.

Wednesday IMRA Djoure Race DNF 8km 550 metre climb
    First IMRA race since the injury so a mixture of excitement and trepidation.
    A downhill start meant for a face 1st km and I could feel I was a bit off the pace. However, once the trail went uphill, I was going well all things considered. It’s a tough course, very steep in places, tricky terrain with lots of tree roots that require stepping over and in between. It’s 6km straight up.

Started to flag on some of the steeper sections about 25 mins in but recovered once on the open mountain and held the gap on runners ahead. Probably in around 24th or so hitting the summit.

On the descent I took a really good line down main peak and caught two people within a few hundred metres on the difficult section. Once on the easier terrain, I was confident of finding a few more places and then BANG. I was running and then I was on the ground. Elbow appeared to be cut pretty deep with lots of blood streaming down.

Knee had a few cuts. Panicked a bit given the amount of blood but turns out it was just a small puncture wound that looked much worse than it was.

Thursday 6.44km run
    Weather was nice. That’s the only reason why I tried this run. Everything was fairly tender after the fall but it was still enjoyable. Took a while to loosen up.

Friday 4.82km run
    Similar to Thursday, nice weather. Upper body was more sore today than the legs. Keen to get the runs in when I can.

Saturday 56.6km road cycle 727 metre of climb

Had great plans of doing 100km around Wicklow. Started off well, first 18km are all uphill towards Sally Gap. When I got to the open mountain, the wind was pretty strong and I was cycling into a headwind no matter what direction I was heading. It was bizarre. Made for a tough few hours. Even the downhill was tricky with the wind. So decided to do a shorter route and head back down after hitting the Sally Gap.

Sunday 21.1km run, 4.44 min/km pace
    Legs felt pretty good on this. All done on trails in the park at a relaxed pace.

Week totals: run 44.km bike: 93km.

Good week all things considered and pretty happy with the long run on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Ten weeks to Beast of Ballyhoura.

Need to start upping the mileage and bike sessions over the next 10 weeks.

Monday 5.32km

Easy run after the 13 miles the previous day. Legs a bit tired.

Wednesday IMRA Scarr 8km 382 metre of climb.
    Kerrist. This was on a new course. I usually run well on this mountain but still getting back into racing after the lay-off.

Started off close to the runners I usually race against. After 1km they seem to be gaining on me, even on the downhill.

The new course brings you up the side of the mountain which has a barely there trail. It was steep and full of heather which made for a tough climb. It was hands on the knees all the way up. Couldn’t get any momentum at all and at one point, I got tangled in barbed wire. Fairly miserable climb and got passed by a couple before the turn off for the main peak.

The main peak was runnable but boggy in places. I recovered a bit and had high hopes of catching people on the fantastic descent. People I was finishing ahead of earlier this year had at least two minutes at the turnaround.

I made two places back hitting the descent and could spot Slogger Jogger and two others in the distance. Was unable to close the gap and finished outside top 20. Enjoyable run and it was the first IMRA race I have managed to finish in three attempts! Probably lacking a bit of mental toughness from lack of racing. Probably backed off too easily at times.

Thursday 10km 4.48 pace
    Legs were a bit tired but no major niggles.

Saturday 16km 4.40 pace

Handy run with a few faster splits towards the end.

Sunday Bike 46km 750 metres of climb

Sports massage on Saturday. Planned to cycle 100km but I forgot my bike shoes and cycling that distance in runners on clip in pedals was a non-runner.
    Enjoyable ride, starting to feel a bit of bike fitness.

Total 40km run for week, 46km bike.

Decent week but an unexpected midweek night out left me wrecked.

Monday 16km (12km at 4.18 pace and 4km at 4.38 pace.)

Planned an easy run after sports massage. That was until I went to overtake a runner in the first 1km of the run. I went to pass him but misjudged his pace so ended up having to run a lot quicker just to make sure I didn’t look like a
    fool if had to pass me ten seconds later.

Legs felt super after the massage and decided to hold the pace, running 12km at 4.18min/km pace, not too far off sub 3 hour marathon pace.

Also discovered a nice route out to Clontarf via Eastpoint Business Park avoiding East Wall Road. Lovely gravel path. Decided to slow down after 12km to be on the safe side.

Advertisement