Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solidworks parts

• 23-05-2014 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Is there any way in Solidworks to 'explode' a model into it's individual components? As in I've created a simple model that I'd like to make out of plywood, is there any way I could get Solidworks to show me the individual pieces like a cutting list?

Or should I just start with the individual pieces? (that'd be a lot more work I'd imagine?)

thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yup you can do exploded views

If you do a google search or even look in the help files there should be a good bit of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

wexie wrote: »
    Guys,

Is there any way in Solidworks to 'explode' a model into it's individual components? As in I've created a simple model that I'd like to make out of plywood, is there any way I could get Solidworks to show me the individual pieces like a cutting list?

Or should I just start with the individual pieces? (that'd be a lot more work I'd imagine?)

thanks!!

If you haven't got an assembly of parts you won't be able to explode. Unless you can separate out the different features into bodies (try right click on the feature in the tree). Don't know if that works with ordinary parts, I've only used it with weldments.
    Btw. Creating individual parts in an assembly isn't much more work as you can relate features on one part to dimensions of another. It's the idea sw is based on

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭LMK

Start with the individual pieces (parts) then create an assembly by mating the parts together, then you can generate a bill of materials from the assembly (list of all the parts and their quantities) and an exploded view if its useful showing how the whole thing goes together.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

If you have one solid body, you can split it into smaller sections using the split tool in the direct editing tab. To do this you will need to create planes where want to split the part.
    when this is done a new folder will appear in your design tree showing you how many solid parts you have. You can then right click and select insert into new part, then save it as an individual part. (these parts will have no feature tree though)
    to get a better explanation use search "split" in your solidworks help bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

In almost every case, you're better off defining things in the same way they'll be used - if it's an assembly of components, design it as a SW assembly. You can do bottom - up design (make all the parts independently, then assemble), top - down (define the assy, then split into parts) or some combination of both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I've been messing around with your suggestions guys, very helpful thanks!
    I now realise that while I was quite happy with what I'd drawn, I hadn't actually put much thought into how I was actually going to build it.
    This is definitely helping me think in somewhat more practical terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I've been messing around with your suggestions guys, very helpful thanks!
    I now realise that while I was quite happy with what I'd drawn, I hadn't actually put much thought into how I was actually going to build it.
    This is definitely helping me think in somewhat more practical terms.

Advertisement