Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Car jacking

Options
  • 26-05-2014 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭

According to independent.ie there was another car jacking this time in Crumlin.

A guy stood in the middle of the road with a baseball and forced a car to stop. :eek: What would you have done in this situation. Would you have stopped and begged for mercy or not stopped. No need to be more specific don't want anyone to incriminate themselves.
    I would have slowed down and swerved past him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

A 99D Fiesta by all accounts. Was it plated with gold? Who in their right mind would go for a car like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

Link for anyone who wants to read it:

Carjacking Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Heroditas wrote: »
    A 99D Fiesta by all accounts. Was it plated with gold? Who in their right mind would go for a car like that?

You're assuming these lowlifes are in a right mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

A guy stood in the middle of the road with a baseball and forced a car to stop. :eek: What would you have done in this situation..

I would have regrettably not been able to brake or swerve in time to avoid a collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

Stood in the middle of the road with a baseball, leathal weapons them baseballs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Some years ago I was driving through a fairly rough part of Dublin one sunny afternoon with my two daughters. We rounded a corner and were confronted with a scene straight out of Braveheart, two dozen or so scruffy faced barbarians in Celtic jerseys, wielding hammers and planks of wood, who when saw us all charged collectively toward our car. In hindsight, I probably had sufficient time to reverse out of danger, but with two girls under five in the car, instinct took over and I put my foot down and aimed straight for them. I am thankful that they all saw sense and jumped from our path, but honestly had they not I don't think my conscience would be too badly weighed down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Stood in the middle of the road with a baseball, leathal weapons them baseballs.

According to the report, two others came at the car, one with a knife.

Granted there's no gun involved, i wouldn't be stopping. Hit the central locking and keep on driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

you can get this security film fitted on your car windows. There are a few companies that will give you a quote to get it fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

According to the report, two others came at the car, one with a knife.

Granted there's no gun involved, i wouldn't be stopping. Hit the central locking and keep on driving.
    Probably no central locking in a 99 Fiesta. However, you're correct; keep all doors locked and drop a gear. Brakes are unnecessary.

How are these folks expecting to stop a car with a knife? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I just don't see the problem with running them over if they are threathening you.

You can use them as a human car jack to prop up your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I didn't see him your honour, he jumped straight out in front of me and when I reversed to see if he was ok, he somehow managed to get trapped under the wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

I would have accepted his sporting challenge. If he can swing, connect and get a home run by batting away my 4x4, well fair play to him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

anncoates wrote: »
    I would have regrettably not been able to brake or swerve in time to avoid a collision.
    This. Run them down and keep on driving. Baseball bat and knives? Deadly weapons. Car? A lot deadlier. Remember that.

That security films is a good idea. Was gonna get some fitted years ago, but something came up and I didn't. Sorry I didn't. Have an antihijack system fitted to the car, but as sods law would have it the damn thing went on the blink last month. :rolleyes:

Keep your doors locked folks. Keep aware at traffic lights.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

With all these reports, people will be aware and wiser. I'm betting its not long before one of these hijackers gets run over and rightly so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No Pants wrote: »
    How are these folks expecting to stop a car with a knife? :confused:
    Fear. People usually freeze and the scum know this. They also have an instinct for picking out those more likely to freeze. People on their own. Women. One victim was a heavily pregnant woman that they assaulted FFS another had her two young kids with her. This is the level of human detritus we're dealing with here. The sooner one of these animals - and that's an insult to animals - is taken out the better.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I would have found second gear and dropped it. Personal safety and all that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

My car locks when you start driving anyway so hit the accelerator...
    That's the one thing that's been drummed into me since I was a kid by my grandmother, always lock the car doors when driving!
    Prefer if they took a swipe at it as I was driving by and that was all, rather than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Stop and every time he gets to the car drive on a little further.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I'd consider my car a far greater weapon than their bats or knives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I understand the sentiment of keeping going but:

1. It would take a lot of balls to keep driving. What would be the legal position if you run them over, potentially kill them and leave the scene?
    2. You may not realise what's actually happening until it's too late. I don't assume that everyone who wanders into the road is a carjacker. If the weapon is visible fair enough but if it's dark, you may not see that until you've stopped.

These people are proper filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Knock the cuunts down, preferably at high speed. When having accomplished this, proceed to reverse over said dirtbag to finish off the job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was stopped in minor traffic a few years ago, when some bloke opened my passenger door and tried to get in.

I put my foot down and accelerated and he fairly rapidly let go of the door, grabbing his shoulder.

Ever since, I have the doors locked.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    If the weapon is visible fair enough but if it's dark, you may not see that until you've stopped.
    If the doors are locked, then you have that extra time to wave goodbye with a "terribly sorry old fellow, must dash", engage first or second gear and drive away. There is nothing that the hijacker can do to stop you at this point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If the weapon is visible fair enough but if it's dark, you may not see that until you've stopped.

These people are proper filth.

If it's dark there's not a hope I'm stopping for anyone, anyhow!!
    Sorry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

bluewolf wrote: »
    If it's dark there's not a hope I'm stopping for anyone, anyhow!!
    Sorry!!

Some drunk stumbles out into the road?

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Knock the cuunts down, preferably at high speed. When having accomplished this, proceed to reverse over said dirtbag to finish off the job.
    That's probably a good idea. A live, former hijacker is potentially expensive in terms of claims, etc. Dead is no doubt cheaper in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

I was driving in Leeds City center and a Leeds fan got into the car and said take me to Elland Road now. So I drove him there and when I dropped him off he gave me £50. It was horrible and weird at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

DHFrame wrote: »
    I was driving in Leeds City center and a Leeds fan got into the car and said take me to Elland Road now. So I drove him there and when I dropped him off he gave me £50. It was horrible and weird at the same time.

did you have a chat on the way there or was it an awkward silence?

• Advertisement

Some drunk stumbles out into the road?
    He has a couple of seconds to sober up and cop on. Or assume the crash position.

Advertisement