Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety ads from the 70's and 80's,which ones would you like to see again?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Anybody remember the fireworks ad where two girls with *huge* flares are walking up the street when a gang of hooligans throws a banger at the one in the biggest flares?

And Timmeee who managed to get run over by a milk float.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

massy086 wrote: »
    That's my mother on the phone and me as a child in the garden .haven't seen that video in years

Nice one! You are a part of many people's childhood memories.

Would you be able to pinpoint the date / year of filming?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Nice one! You are a part of many people's childhood memories.

Would you be able to pinpoint the date / year of filming?

I can ask my mother but I'm 35 and I look about 1 or 2 so I'm guessing 33 years ago

chopper6 wrote: »
    Anybody remember the fireworks ad where two girls with *huge* flares are walking up the street when a gang of hooligans throws a banger at the one in the biggest flares?

And Timmeee who managed to get run over by a milk float.

Think this could be the firework one.

massy086 wrote: »
    I can ask my mother but I'm 35 and I look about 1 or 2 so I'm guessing 33 years ago

Thanks. I had 1980 - 1982 in my head when we were trying to locate a copy of the film. I remember it being shown in successive hot summers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Thanks. I had 1980 - 1982 in my head when we were trying to locate a copy of the film. I remember it being shown in successive hot summers.

What film is that?

chopper6 wrote: »
    What film is that?

The Where's Grandad? public information film outlined above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

"Where are your children tonight?"

or maybe it was

"Do you know where your kids are tonight?"

Can anybody remember what ad they were on and what was the ad about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Does anyone other than me remember the safety ad with forklift trucks being crashed or did I dream it?The sequence of events in it as far as I can remember was.Fella driving forklift in a warehouse crashes through a wall,I remember this guy had glasses and they show his horrified reaction just before the impact.Forklift drives off the end of a pier into the sea.Forklift brakes suddenly and these guys all fall to the ground who may have been hitching a ride on the back of it but not sure.It would have been on late 70s same time as Oh Me achin back et all.

Seasan wrote: »
    "Where are your children tonight?"

or maybe it was

"Do you know where your kids are tonight?"

Can anybody remember what ad they were on and what was the ad about?

Fireworks.
    A PIF from 1976 called Where's Your Lad Tonight? aka Where's Your Child Tonight. The stern voice was Patrick Troughton, the Second Doctor.

There was another PIF from 1980 which was about vandalism. Simply known as Where's Your Lad?.

Both are on the Charley Says DVD set.

• Advertisement

Remember one from the late 80s about the MMR vaccination when it was first introduced to Ireland(I think).....

There is a baby sleeping in a cot with baby music playing in the background,and there is a female voice-over which says "measles can cause brain damage",the camera zooms to the baby's head and the music changes slightly.Then she says "mumps can cause deafness" and the camera moves to the child's ear.Then,in a far more sinister,serious voice,she says "if your daughter gets rubella,her baby may be born handicapped",the music turns scary and the camera zooms in on a plastic doll.

That was a scary enough ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

darkdubh wrote: »
    Does anyone other than me remember the safety ad with forklift trucks being crashed or did I dream it?The sequence of events in it as far as I can remember was.Fella driving forklift in a warehouse crashes through a wall,I remember this guy had glasses and they show his horrified reaction just before the impact.Forklift drives off the end of a pier into the sea.Forklift brakes suddenly and these guys all fall to the ground who may have been hitching a ride on the back of it but not sure.It would have been on late 70s same time as Oh Me achin back et all.

Can't remember quite that much detail at this stage, but I can at least tell you that you didn't imagine it! :D

Remember one from the late 80s about the MMR vaccination when it was first introduced to Ireland(I think).....

There is a baby sleeping in a cot with baby music playing in the background,and there is a female voice-over which says "measles can cause brain damage",the camera zooms to the baby's head and the music changes slightly.Then she says "mumps can cause deafness" and the camera moves to the child's ear.Then,in a far more sinister,serious voice,she says "if your daughter gets rubella,her baby may be born handicapped",the music turns scary and the camera zooms in on a plastic doll.

That was a scary enough ad.

It was, and it had the therapist shouting "BA!!!" at a completely oblivious child. In secondary school, if anyone was a bit stupid or slow on the uptake, lads would go "BA!!!" at them. The cruelty of secondary school lads knows no bounds...

I don't think the "BA" one was late 1980s, more like 1983-1984.

Wasn't it a nun doing the shouting?

We too used the "BA" taunt in secondary school.

I don't think the "BA" one was late 1980s, more like 1983-1984.

Wasn't it a nun doing the shouting?

We too used the "BA" taunt in secondary school.

That's right-I would have been either in senior infants or rang a hAon when the "Ba!!" ad was showing on the telly and that's the only part I remember coz I remember me older brothers used to wonder what the hell was she doin to the child....

The ad I mentioned above-now that tis all comin back-towards the end of it the different camera shots of the child and doll were shown again this time in quick succession,accompanied by the scary music and the woman's voiceover even louder again,saying
    "MEASLES.
    MUMPS.
    RUBELLA.
    ALL children between 15 months and 5 years must be given the MMR vaccine".

This one has come back to me,I hope somebody else remembers it too....

Tis an ad for drink-driving,and in it is this woman who has obviously been caught.It seems like she is in either the Garda station or in a cell,she is pleading with somebody-possibly a garda,but you only see and hear her,you don't see or hear anyone else in the whole ad,just her.During the talk,she says "I hope it doesn't matter as long as I wasn't over the limit".And a couple of times she says "I'm not drunk....I have never been drunk in all my life".She says a few more things,and towards the end she breaks down crying,and howls:
    "I'VE NEVER BEEN DRUNK IN ALL MY LIFE!
    I'M NOT DRUNK!
    O GOD I SHOULD NEVER HAVE HAD THAT DRINK!"

Does anyone else remember that one?

This one has come back to me,I hope somebody else remembers it too....

Tis an ad for drink-driving,and in it is this woman who has obviously been caught.It seems like she is in either the Garda station or in a cell,she is pleading with somebody-possibly a garda,but you only see and hear her,you don't see or hear anyone else in the whole ad,just her.During the talk,she says "I hope it doesn't matter as long as I wasn't over the limit".And a couple of times she says "I'm not drunk....I have never been drunk in all my life".She says a few more things,and towards the end she breaks down crying,and howls:
    "I'VE NEVER BEEN DRUNK IN ALL MY LIFE!
    I'M NOT DRUNK!
    O GOD I SHOULD NEVER HAVE HAD THAT DRINK!"

Does anyone else remember that one?

Yes! That last line is buried at the back of my mind - I remember it from when I was quite little.

Stayin with drink-driving,I remember an ad from UTV's "Drinking And Driving Wrecks Lives" campaign.This one had a Northern Irish woman talking about the death of her daughter,and it begins with the cameras moving around the room showing photographs of her on the mantlepiece etc.I almost remember it word for word:

"I'll never forget her first day at school,it was so hard to leave her there.
    'I am a big girl like my mammy' she used to say..
    Everybody loved her".

Then the camera moves straight to the woman who is talking:

"He drove through the red light-speedin through it.
    He had been drinking.To me that's as bad as murder.
    I'll never forgive him.
    He has taken my baby away....forever(and she cries)".
    And then the words "DRINKING AND DRIVING WRECKS LIVES" appear on the screen.

I never knew whether people in those type of ads were telling real life stories,or whether they were just actors for the commercial.

This is a UK one that I'd never heard of,very similar to Apaches.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_finishing_line_the_grisly_british

darkdubh wrote: »
    This is a UK one that I'd never heard of,very similar to Apaches.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_finishing_line_the_grisly_british

A classic.

Included on this British Transport Films set; possibly the best volume in the series.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Transport-Films-Collection-Volume/dp/B0015GQ3DQ

This must be it

I dunno why,but this video will not play on my phone-hopefully ye'll be able to watch it.

I can't understand why so many people would complain about it being "too scary"....this is not just a horror movie-it is real life horror which does happen,and the whole purpose of PIFs like this and others is to make people pay more attention and be a lot more careful-even if it means scaring people into making them think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭Rotunda Shill

Safe Cross code. That was filmed at the top of our parents road. I can distinctly remember the orange VW Variant square back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Alex Forrest

Does anyone remember this fire safety ad on RTE in the 1980s? It showed a fire being started by a cigarette falling from an ashtray onto a sofa. There was a lot of smoke at first, and it showed smoke coming down the stairs, then the sitting room became engulfed in flames. I remember the music in the ad was very sinister. It showed the firemen sliding down the pole in the fire station, and the fire engine siren, and the family standing outside the house. Then I remember everything happening in reverse as if the rewind button was pressed. A very scary ad overall, but very effective!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I remember that all right

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Alex Forrest

Does anyone remember this fire safety ad on RTE in the 1980s? It showed a fire being started by a cigarette falling from an ashtray onto a sofa. There was a lot of smoke at first, and it showed smoke coming down the stairs, then the sitting room became engulfed in flames. I remember the music in the ad was very sinister. It showed the firemen sliding down the pole in the fire station, and the fire engine siren, and the family standing outside the house. Then I remember everything happening in reverse as if the rewind button was pressed. A very scary ad overall, but very effective!

I'd love to see this ad again sometime, it was so well done. Have looked everywhere on the internet for a video of it but no success :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Thats stirred something in the back of my mind now.I remember the firemen sliding down the pole and the house filling with smoke,one of those ones I'd long forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

Did i once see judge from wanderly wagon do a green cross code ?
    Maybe it was on a reelin in the years or something.

There's a longer version / promo video of the Safe Cross Code that Judge is on. 1975.

Did i once see judge from wanderly wagon do a green cross code ?

Yes, I remember that, though it was never called "green cross code" in this country. I remember distinctly when we went from 2-channel land to 6-channel land, hearing this funny phrase and thinking "eejits, don't they mean SAFE cross code?" :pac:

• Advertisement

Anyone remember a PIF that used to be on RTE in the mid 80s that showed this young guy in silhouette,you coulden't make out his face and it started out with him saying in a strong Dublin accent "my old mans always going on about the youth of today"?I think it might have been about underage drinking,not too sure.

Advertisement