Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tool Deals (Lidl, Aldi, Factors, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mr infomaniac

Trolley jack €22.99 and axle stands €12.99 in Lidl today.
    Perfect for some diy car maintence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Yep they are very good value. I'd prob. get them myself if I hadn't the items already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

WikiHow wrote: »
    Halfords tools are glorified fisher price toys, pay a little more and get professional tools.

Nonsense. Mine have taken a fair bit of abuse over the years and the only problem I've had was with the box/case breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Sale on draper tools from micksgarage at the moment, quoting up to 65% off and valid untill the 31st March

http://www.micksgarage.com/preSearch.aspx?Keyword=draper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I used to avoid Draper stuff but the quality is a lot better these days, particularly the Expert stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-600mm-2-inch-Breaker-Drive/dp/B000O619PA

Got this a few years ago and has survived some serious abuse. Free delivery when you spend over 30 euro on super saver stuff.

I find amazon good value for tools of you look out for free super saver delivery stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Interslice wrote: »

Got this a few years ago and has survived some serious abuse. Free delivery when you spend over 30 euro on super saver stuff.

I find amazon good value for tools of you look out for free super saver delivery stuff.

Wow, got this including delivery to parcel motel for €12.35! Nice one interslice, much obliged.

On the subject of breaker bars. I have this one aswell. A more refined tool :P.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Teng-Tools-24in-Wheel-Brace-Wrench-Breaker-Bar-1-2in-Drive-power-bar-1201A-/360572322476

It deosn't flex(much) has a handle and there is alot less play in the knucle. It's lightweight too, I use it instead of a wheel brace.
    Mad money online. Got it for 34 in tripart galway. Great value for the teng stuff. You'll pay more online.

Got this there for a fiver.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TENG-TOOLS-10mm-Ratchet-Combination-Spanner-Spanners-600510R-/350800613683

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

5500 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I plan on picking up a set the weekend :) If you right click and copy the link and paste into the browser it doesn't redirect.

I need to do the brakes on herselfs car too and have been meaning to pick up a windback tool for ages. I took this one off ebay on Sunday , http://www.ebay.ie/itm/360643337387?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Sent to parcel motel and had it delivered this evening, worked out at just under €25 for the set all in. I can only compare it to a friends draper set that's fairly similar and the quality seems comparable, for the little use it should see from me it should hopefully last!

This is a very good set ordered it for £22 + Parcel Motel off Amazon a year ago used a few times - alot more refined then a G clamp :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

This is a very good set ordered it for £22 + Parcel Motel off Amazon a year ago used a few times - alot more refined then a G clamp :)

Just do what I do, jam a pliers into the piston and use elbow grease! :D :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Just do what I do, jam a pliers into the piston and use elbow grease! :D :eek:

Nothing wrong with a long-nose vice grips! I'd say most older cars would have the telltale ridge marks on the back of a calliper:D

On back brakes normally the pistons have to be twisted as you wind them in. That's where the rewind tools are real handy,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

On back brakes normally the pistons have to be twisted as you wind them in. That's where the rewind tools are real handy,

Of course they are, I'm hoping to own one one day. ;)
    On her MX5, you actually wind them back via a screw accessible from the back of the calliper, so not tool necessary. And MX5 callipers are a rant unto themselves, at least the rear ones. Try rebuild one, you'll know what I mean.
    On most other cars (or at least my CMax) you use the pliers and push and twist at the same time. Brute force and ignorance.
    This is very hard sometimes and you can slip and rip the dust seal or potentially stab yourself with the long nosed pliers, but it is doable.
    Front callipers are a pleasure, none of that twisty turny stuff, least not on my two cars.

Of course they are, I'm hoping to own one one day. ;)
    On her MX5, you actually wind them back via a screw accessible from the back of the calliper, so not tool necessary. And MX5 callipers are a rant unto themselves, at least the rear ones. Try rebuild one, you'll know what I mean.
    On most other cars (or at least my CMax) you use the pliers and push and twist at the same time. Brute force and ignorance.
    This is very hard sometimes and you can slip and rip the dust seal or potentially stab yourself with the long nosed pliers, but it is doable.
    Front callipers are a pleasure, none of that twisty turny stuff, least not on my two cars.

I have to rebuild my front left caliper because someone put a little nick in the dust seal. Always wondered what was someone at that they managed to do that. Could have something like this :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

I remember watching this etcg video on winding in rear disc pistons on a honda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3kf8C4Qxu-A#t=582

Seems good, comparable draper one from micksgarage is 20 on sale at the moment so im going to grab one of the sealey ones

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0001K9UZK?pc_redir=1397180750&robot_redir=1

may not be the most needed tool for car diy, but cheaper than I can find in a bricks and mortar shop even with currency conversion. Plus it qualifies for free shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Looks like a great set and very good value at that price, hard to beat I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

I have that very set. I took out the imperial stuff for a second toolbox that I use abroad. Its stood up very well to regular use. The metric stuff doesn't get used as regular just a bit on the car. Can't fault the stuff.

The groupscheme voucher brings it down to €108 now, thats just unbeatable value for a good quality set.

• Advertisement

I have that very set. I took out the imperial stuff for a second toolbox that I use abroad. Its stood up very well to regular use. The metric stuff doesn't get used as regular just a bit on the car. Can't fault the stuff.

The groupscheme voucher brings it down to €108 now, thats just unbeatable value for a good quality set.

Yep, its great value. I have an old Kennedy set, love it. Just couldn't justify the 160 price tag before but getting very tempted now !

Just rang them and apparently you cant use the groupschemes voucher on an already discounted item ?

dodzy wrote: »
    Yep, its great value. I have an old Kennedy set, love it. Just couldn't justify the 160 price tag before but getting very tempted now !

Just rang them and apparently you cant use the groupschemes voucher on an already discounted item ?

Thats bull. I've often used it on sale items! In fact a rarely buy stuff in there thats not already disccounted. I got that set at half price €150, reduced to €135 with the voucher.

I even have the receipt to prove it!

Sometimes (9/10 times in my experience) they allow it, but I don't think they are supposed to.

Sometimes (9/10 times in my experience) they allow it, but I don't think they are supposed to.

It says on the voucher that it cannot be used on the bike to work scheme, sat navs or ipods. The t&c on the website aswell say nothing about sale items.

I've never had any bother with it. Come to think of it, I even bought a garmin that was on sale half price and still used the voucher even though it says no sat navs!

I've got the trade card aswell and usually scan everthing to see which is cheaper, the card or the voucher. Maybe I just confuse them and they just want me out of there!

Oh, yeah. I'm sure it was in the terms at one point, but I can't see it now. TBF it has been a while since I've had any item refused the discount.

Oh, yeah. I'm sure it was in the terms at one point, but I can't see it now. TBF it has been a while since I've had any item refused the discount.

Damn it. Just reserved one in Blanch:mad:

dodzy wrote: »
    Damn it. Just reserved one in Blanch:mad:

So whats the problem? Just show up with the voucher and pay 108. Unless you paid online?

I intend to. The post was in relation to my lack of will power on this forum;)

• Advertisement

I've a request for a deal :) Can anyone point to a good low entry jack sub €100? I've used a trusty lidl spec one for year's but its just about given up and I need something to get under lower car's either way's. if anyone know's of any bargains let me know thanks!

Advertisement