Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tool Deals (Lidl, Aldi, Factors, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_862463_langId_-1_categoryId_290505

This one for 175 EUR or the one with 170 pieces for 150 EUR. Life time guarantee and if issue returns easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

+1 for the Halfords kit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Any idea if there's a discount on those with a trade card?

Not sure about trade but if you have AXA insurance I believe you get 10 percent off

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

5500 wrote: »
    Any idea if there's a discount on those with a trade card?

Far as I know the trade discount is off the retail price, which makes it more expensive to use the card.
    You will most likely get a discount with an Axa card though, friend got a 2 for 1 on bulbs and a further 15% off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Halfords tools are glorified fisher price toys, pay a little more and get professional tools.

Can you recommend any "pro" set's similar to the halfords one's above?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 aiden25

Halfords Advanced tools worth a look at. Have heard plenty of good about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 aiden25

Trade card will put them back upo to pre sale price then give trade off. If you have an AXA card use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Slideways

You'll struggle to get pro stuff for that money. In fact you're probably looking at twice that.

Halfords stuff is passable for a DIYer. I'd avoid the draper stuff.

Get a set if impact sockets off the boys in the transit vans and abuse them if the going gets tough. I've never broken one yet and had a 3/4 rattle gun on a 19mm socket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

WikiHow wrote: »
    Halfords tools are glorified fisher price toys, pay a little more and get professional tools.

Sorry but this is crap.

Advanced line is made by Sealey and has a no questions lifetime warranty on all tools except ratchets/ratchet spanners. The sets are unbelievable value when they are on a half price deal, which is most of the time.

They are excellent quality. I have some taking dogs abuse for years and still look brand new. Only ever had a problem with a 3/8 drive ratchet and it was replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Sorry but this is crap.

They are excellent quality. I have some taking dogs abuse for years and still look brand new. Only ever had a problem with a 3/8 drive ratchet and it was replaced.

I'd agree- I bought plenty of Halfords Advanced Pro tools over the years (ratchets, sockets, spanners, screwdrivers, impact tools etc) and never had a problem with any of them. I generally only buy specific tools when they come up on sale and for the money they are hard to beat and certainly more than good enough for DIY use and if not abused I'd say plenty good for trade use too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As above, this is total nonsense.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Advanced line is made by Sealey

No they are not, Halfords tools are made by Danmar Co. in Taiwan.

No they are not, Halfords tools are made by Danmar Co. in Taiwan.

Pop into halfords and ask them where they source the advanced line. And that one post you found on the internet that said they are made by danmar in taiwan, if you read the whole post the guy also reckons ALL snap on is made in the USA. So thats two bits of bull he's talking and he was rightly corrected in later posts.

This thread is at risk of going off on a tangent but just to add to the above, some of the ratcheting spanners I bought in Halfords were made by Gearwrench (which are Taiwanese I believe), some of the larger sizes had the "Gearwrench" logo clearly embossed on them. I have a set of Halfords screwdrivers which were made in Germany. Who knows where anything is made now and I'm sure that Halfords outsource from many different manufacturers, just like many other big retail chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Halfords 10% discount for those who cant get the axa one

http://www.airportroi.groupscheme.com/

For this link to work copy and paste this do not click on it.

jhud wrote: »

Its actually here, http://www.airportroi.groupscheme.com/content/motoring/halfords/29

The link you gave is of the open voucher and re-directs back to groupschemes.com. I always thought it was only for airport employee groupscheme members but I just read the terms there for the first time and it says 'open to any employee'. I've never been asked for my airport id or any other proof so it must be open to any employee.

edit: mine re-directs aswell!

I have never either and i have also got them in limerick anyway to accept this voucher even on sale items aswell. Like when they do cheap castrol oil from time to time and lately the baby car seats got two on a deal and then used voucher for further discount.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I plan on picking up a set the weekend :) If you right click and copy the link and paste into the browser it doesn't redirect.

I need to do the brakes on herselfs car too and have been meaning to pick up a windback tool for ages. I took this one off ebay on Sunday , http://www.ebay.ie/itm/360643337387?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Sent to parcel motel and had it delivered this evening, worked out at just under €25 for the set all in. I can only compare it to a friends draper set that's fairly similar and the quality seems comparable, for the little use it should see from me it should hopefully last!

5500 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I plan on picking up a set the weekend :) If you right click and copy the link and paste into the browser it doesn't redirect.

I need to do the brakes on herselfs car too and have been meaning to pick up a windback tool for ages. I took this one off ebay on Sunday , http://www.ebay.ie/itm/360643337387?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Sent to parcel motel and had it delivered this evening, worked out at just under €25 for the set all in. I can only compare it to a friends draper set that's fairly similar and the quality seems comparable, for the little use it should see from me it should hopefully last!

I just did brakes on my car today and needed to borrow a wind back tool so this looks very good price. Could you let us know how it works on the car thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

For those who had trouble getting the Halfords voucher to open: http://i.imgur.com/0rAHPHh.jpg
    jhud wrote: »
    I just did brakes on my car today and needed to borrow a wind back tool so this looks very good price. Could you let us know how it works on the car thanks.

I got the very same kit from that seller last week to do the rear pads on an S40 and a 307, the windback tool performed admirably. It also has the left hand threaded tool to do the fronts on my own C5, which is a big plus, and a blank head to push in non threaded pistons. One of the pistons on the 307 needed a 2 foot pipe on the end of the tool to get it moving, I figured the T bar on the tool would bend or snap but it did the job.

Used the kit myself on an Astra yesterday and no problems to report all went well Im happy with it and for just under 25 will save me some Headaches in the future. I plab on picking up the set in halfords for 175 tomorrow so ill report back if they take the voucher.

I see some bits and bobs in lidl next week that might be of use to people too

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I picked up the 200 piece set that's 175 in halfords and used the voucher which brought it down to 157. Quality seems good and should have more than enough for what I would need, The only downside I can say really is the box is heavy enough if you plan on hauling it around much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

What's the general feel on Draper?
    An earlier poster dismissed them as rubbish, but I have a few bits and pieces by them, including axle stands and they all seem decent enough, the have taken years of abuse with no problems.

My worst tool experience is Rolson. Those truly are Fisher Price toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

I have a set of draper screwdrivers, find them great

With Rolson, yes they are ****, but its very hard not to buy lots of bits and pieces at €0.79 each when you walk past the bargain shelf in tescos :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

cletus wrote: »
    I have a set of draper screwdrivers, find them great

With Rolson, yes they are ****, but its very hard not to buy lots of bits and pieces at €0.79 each when you walk past the bargain shelf in tescos :D

I have a Lidl electric drill (well, more screwdriver than drill) and used it to screw down attic floorboards. There was quite a lot of them, so I bought a second one, a Rolson, so I always had one going while the other charged.
    So, had it charging for a good while and the Lidl one was running out, so I switched over.
    The Rolson managed to screw in HALF a screw before it died.
    Yes, it managed not even ONE lousy screw.
    I think had I bought Fisher Price it would have done a better job.

• Advertisement

An earlier poster dismissed them as rubbish, but I have a few bits and pieces by them, including axle stands and they all seem decent enough, the have taken years of abuse with no problems.

I bought a nice Draper Expert socket set years ago in McQuillans and found it very good, also have plent of other Draper bits and pieces and find it grand,but they do have a "value" range that's probably best avoided.

Advertisement