Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand Alone this Summer 2014

Options
  • 17-04-2014 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm heading to New Zealand on my own this July. I'm going to apply for a year working visa and try stay over there for as long as possible. If the job thing doesn't work out, I do have some savings so I can turn it into an extended holiday.

Just looking for any advice or tips people may have about jobs, accommodation, different areas, etc.

Thanks for any help!

Brian-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Decgforce

Currently I'm in Christchurch, i did the same as you back in April 2012. Only planned on staying for 6 months with a working holiday visa.
    2 years later i'm leaving here and its going to kill me! Theres alot to be said for NZ, be open minded and you will get places.

Work is alot easier come by than home, seasonal stuff especially. ( fruit picking, farming etc.) Christchurch your pretty much gauranteed a job, the city is still on its arse down here.
    Accomodation varies, hostels can be got cheap ($20 a night) or alot of ski resorts etc let you work for accom. and food.

Where to see?? ALL OF IT, seriously, its jaw dropping. Get a solid enough car under yer backside and get sight seeing.

Above all else amke sure you have a decent camera......you will use it every day!

Any more questions gimme a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 princessruby

Hi, my boyfriend and I are thinking of moving to NZ to work and travel too for one year. however I'm 30 and he is 35 can you advise us on visas? any help at all would be really appreciated. Thank you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

http://www.bunac.org.uk/uk/work-abroad/work-new-zealand/working-holiday-nz/visas

The BUNAC IEP Visa is the only one your bf will be able to get for one year (I'm not sure if any are left for this year, though sometimes more come available late in the year, or you may have to wait until next year) .

You may be able to get the WHV yourself (it's cheaper from what I hear).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Genevieve Tie

Hi Brian,

I'm in a similar situation...
    I'm packing up here and heading off to NZ in mid July. I'm travelling around with a friend for 3 weeks before she goes home and I try to put down some roots in Wellington. From my research, it seems like a vibrant and compact city with a relatively healthy jobs market. If that fails the next stop is Christchurch.

I've done a bit of research and talked to a few people and they've all recommended booking into a hostel for the first couple of days. I don't know anyone in Wellington, but I've joined meetup.com so i'm not too worried about being stuck for someone to have a few drinks with at the weekend :) If you're into fitness/sports there are loads of such groups on that site...

I'm editing my cv's at the moment (1 for general jobs and 1 for jobs related to my field of study which is planning and sustainable development) and I found some helpful templates on the recruitment websites.

Anyways, I could write a thesis on all the research i've done!

Pm me if you want to ask questions or offer any advice!

Genevieve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Hi, my boyfriend and I are thinking of moving to NZ to work and travel too for one year. however I'm 30 and he is 35 can you advise us on visas? any help at all would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Unless the rules have changed, the BUNAC visa is only up to the age of 35 though that may depend on when he turned 35. The same goes for the WHV as that is only up to the age of 30 but you would have no issues with the BUNAC visa.

As was said they have a habit of going quickly so you may need to wait for next pool. I had to get in early for mine (applied before Christmas) as they are usually released in late Jan/Feb. It says they are usually available until June but from talking to people who work there they are usually gone by March! Expensive visa but well worth it if your looking to get here.
    Hi Brian,

I'm in a similar situation...
    I'm packing up here and heading off to NZ in mid July. I'm travelling around with a friend for 3 weeks before she goes home and I try to put down some roots in Wellington. From my research, it seems like a vibrant and compact city with a relatively healthy jobs market. If that fails the next stop is Christchurch.

I've done a bit of research and talked to a few people and they've all recommended booking into a hostel for the first couple of days. I don't know anyone in Wellington, but I've joined meetup.com so i'm not too worried about being stuck for someone to have a few drinks with at the weekend :) If you're into fitness/sports there are loads of such groups on that site...

I'm editing my cv's at the moment (1 for general jobs and 1 for jobs related to my field of study which is planning and sustainable development) and I found some helpful templates on the recruitment websites.

Anyways, I could write a thesis on all the research i've done!

Pm me if you want to ask questions or offer any advice!

Genevieve :)

Hi Genevieve your research has done you well. I've lived there [Wellington] for about 3 years now and would highly recommend it. It is great little city with plenty to see and do. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask. I would also recommend staying in a hostel when you first get here (there are quite a few decent ones here and located centrally). I first came out here on my own and I found hostels a great way of meeting new people. Really helped me settle into living in a new city/country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

For jobs in sustainability there should be many options but I suggest try EECA who might be up your street http://www.eeca.govt.nz/about-eeca/careers-at-eeca It is a vibrant city with lots of options so you should fine something.

Meetup.com is very active here, there is a large group called "Adventure Wellington" where you will meet new people very quickly.

Have to say for weather you're coming at one of the worst times :) Usually pretty crap in July/August. But at least not quite as cold as Ireland, just windy and stormy but with some good days in between. Bring warm clothes as they're more expensive here to buy, and cheap rented houses are often chilly in winter with poor heating and no insulation.

Always looking for new members- Wellington Irish Society

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Wellywood is an awesome city to live in. Yeah it's pretty windy but on the sunny days it's great. It's the NZ home of quality food, coffee and microbrews. There's plenty of nice pubs that serve up great locals brews.. That's something I really miss. The majority of Aussie beers I've tried are fairly pants. The nightlife is hit and miss but each to their own on that one. It's pretty much confined to one area - Courtney Place. Majority of late night bars are pretty much the same but saying that you'll still have good nights if you're with the right people.

I reckon you'll be alright with finding a job. From my experience, the job market isn't as competitive as it is in other countries. Just get onto recruitment agencies and visit sites like seek.co.nz and trademe.co.nz or get out and canvass the bars/cafes/shops with your CV.

For hostels. I can not recommend Worldwide Backpackers enough. It's at the end of The Terrace. It's a 2 min walk to Willis St and just a few minutes more to Courtney. It's not the most glamourous of places but it's comfortable with a decently stocked kitchen. However, it can be loud. I spent about four and half months in it last year from April to August and another five weeks earlier this year. What's makes the place is the people that stayed there. All of my friends I met in Wellington were staying there. It's like a big house with lots of housemates. Winter is a good time to stay there because the majority of people staying there are long termers who are there to work. Summertime attracts a younger crowd who can be loud during the week. So you won't have any problems meeting people there

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a hostel in Wellington? I have read all the reviews, but i'm still very, very wary! Now I know that you get what you pay for, but I could be staying there for a few weeks while i'm looking for work, so basically it needs to be central, not grotty and have a friendly atmosphere.

Appreciate any advice!

:)

Carnie,

I did read your post - i'm just looking for a few opinions on this one! Typical fussy female!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I can only give opinions on hostels I stayed in:

YHA - very nice hostel but you can only stay there for a maximum of 6 days [not a fan of long term guests]

Base Backpackers - standard large hostel (6 floors) though kitchen wasn't greatest when I stayed there I heard its been improved. Right beside Courtney Place and around 10min walk from City Centre. Popular as usually has plenty of work for accommodation options so handy if you trying to save funds. Does cater to long term and short term stays. They also have level dedicated to females (sanctuary) in case you don't like mixed dorms.

When i first came to Welly on my own I stayed in YHA for the first 6 nights and I met someone there who had stayed in Base before and convinced me to try it (quite nearby). I ended up staying there for nearly 8 months!!! I'll be the first to admit that the hostel isn't the greatest (and quite a few don't like it) but I met a lot of people I still know today there and anytime I need a hostel I always end up going back!

• Advertisement
Advertisement