Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Breweries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Should be in ATG tomorrow

Curiosity will probably get the better of me with respect to the peanut butter stout!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Had lots of it on Friday in Alfie's. Just treat it as a very nice stout. On cask, it is extremely drinkable and you don't get much peanut butter if any.
    On keg, there's a little more evidence of peanut butter but it's no more carbonated which means it's also very easy to drink.
    Personally, I preferred the cask but only a little. Make sure to try a sample of one or the other depending on which you order. Always nice to compare cask and keg versions of the same beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

upforit101 wrote: »
    In the interests of transparency Beernut; Can you confirm or deny that you receive any inducements (in the form of free beer(s) from the cottage group/Galway bay brewery?
    BeerNut wrote: »
    I can; I don't.

In light of that, I thought this was interesting:
    The Beer Nut ‏@thebeernut 12h
    Cheers to @galwaybaybrew, @beersiveknown and @belfastbrewing, all of whom bought me beers this weekend.

I should state that I don't know the Beer Nut but I greatly enjoy his blog and find his reviews insightful and well-written.

However, I do think closeness to commercial brewers and breweries tends to impair a reviewer's objectivity and that any such friendships/connections/freebies should be disclosed as a courtesy to readers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

any such friendships/connections/freebies should be disclosed as a courtesy to readers.
    Disclosed on Twitter, perhaps? :) If I'm reviewing a beer I got from the brewer or distributor for free, I'll always mention it. The exception to that is festivals because I don't keep track of which beers I paid for and which I didn't. It's always a mix.
    closeness to commercial brewers and breweries tends to impair a reviewer's objectivity
    In my case I don't have any objectivity to impair in the first place. I write my subjective opinions of the beers put in front of me. It's a personal blog, not some sort of buyers' guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I should state that I don't know the Beer Nut but I greatly enjoy his blog and find his reviews insightful and well-written.

However, I do think closeness to commercial brewers and breweries tends to impair a reviewer's objectivity and that any such friendships/connections/freebies should be disclosed as a courtesy to readers.

To put this in perspective, the question was does he get any inducements from Galway Bay? That would involve them sending him free beer to review. He answered no to that, meaning that any Galway Bay beer he has reviewed, he bought himself.

That tweet you quoted is a very different matter. Myself and TBN met up in Alfie's on Friday to have a few beers. It turned out that Andy and Jason were out for the night so we joined up and in the way the round system works, they both bought us a round or two.

Both myself and TBN will from time to time get samples to review. When we do, it's made very clear on our blogs where the beer came from. We are also very clear that samples will be honestly reviewed. I know from reading TBN's blog that he has in the past slated* beer sent to him. He has never allowed himself to be swayed to give a positive review just because the beer was free.

*Or jut not given a very positive review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'm struggling to see how, if you've read a lot of his reviews, you can think he favours certain brands or might have his impartiality impaired. He calls it as he tastes it I find.

Bit unfair of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

When will the global corporate brand that is the BeerNut ever think of the little man?! It's a bleedin' disgrace Joe, a bleedin' disgrace!

I'm struggling to see how, if you've read a lot of his reviews, you can think he favours certain brands or might have his impartiality impaired. He calls it as he tastes it I find.

Bit unfair of you.

I can't see how I'm being unfair. I am a fan of his work. I like his writing style and have learned a lot about beer from reading his blog.

I didn't ask the question about whether or not he receives free beers from Galway Bay, but I noted his reply: "I don't"

Last weekend he posted a tweet which suggested that he does (or at least did on that occasion). I thought that was interesting in light of what he had said previously. I don't see how pointing that out was unfair.

I have no issue with freebies/connections to breweries as long as they are disclosed when the person is writing about said brewery.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    When will the global corporate brand that is the BeerNut ever think of the little man?! It's a bleedin' disgrace Joe, a bleedin' disgrace!

That's exactly the type of response I was expecting to my previous post. Thanks, BaZmO, for not letting me down.

I can't see how I'm being unfair. I am a fan of his work. I like his writing style and have learned a lot about beer from reading his blog.
    His work? It's his blog. He can write whatever he wants.

I have no issue with freebies/connections to breweries as long as they are disclosed with the person is writing about said brewery.
    He's not a politician. AFAIK (and I'm open to correction on this) The BeerNut is a "not for profit" organisation.

That's exactly the type of response I was expecting to my previous post. Thanks, BaZmO, for not letting me down.
    You're welcome.

I noted his reply: "I don't"

Last weekend he posted a tweet which suggested that he does
    Bit of a stretch, in fairness. You'd need to want to believe that I'm in the pocket of Galway Bay Brewery to join those two snippets up.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Bit of a stretch, in fairness. You'd need to want to believe that I'm in the pocket of Galway Bay Brewery to join those two snippets up.

I don't believe that you're "in the pocket" of Galway Bay and I am not trying to criticise you personally.

I don't think these things are that black and white, but I do believe that if a writer is friendly with a brewery it tends to influence his or her writing about that brewery's beers. Now that I've made that point, I don't intend to harp on about it any longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I once got a free bottle opener from Heineken, do I need to disclose this before I tick Heino on untappd?

I do believe that if a writer is friendly with a brewery it tends to influence his or her writing about that brewery's beers.
    Well, for additional disclosure, I'm friendly with a lot of brewers. It's what I have instead of a social life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I don't believe that you're "in the pocket" of Galway Bay and I am not trying to criticise you personally.

I don't think these things are that black and white, but I do believe that if a writer is friendly with a brewery it tends to influence his or her writing about that brewery's beers. Now that I've made that point, I don't intend to harp on about it any longer.

Can you confirm or deny that you have received free prawn crackers in Kin Khao Thai in Athlone? Or anything free that you've ever posted about ever?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88342142&postcount=9

Not nice now, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Their cask Full Sail is one of the fcuking nicest beers ever, full stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Their cask Full Sail is one of the fcuking nicest beers ever, full stop.

Where has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Seaneh wrote: »
    Where has it?

Black sheep have it on. I enjoyed the peanut butter stout but I'd need to have 4 or 5 to fully form an opinion. Works well mixed with buried at sea.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Black sheep have it on. I enjoyed the peanut butter stout but I'd need to have 4 or 5 to fully form an opinion. Works well mixed with buried at sea.

Lets hope it's still on come Wednesday, as I shan't be able to wander that fat before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Mixed? As in the two beers in the one glass, or more one drank after the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

4 or 5 pints to fully form an opinion? Whys that?

• Advertisement

Lucena wrote: »
    Mixed? As in the two beers in the one glass, or more one drank after the other?

Mixed in the same glass, i'm drinking one now.

drumswan wrote: »
    4 or 5 pints to fully form an opinion? Whys that?

Because occasionally I've had beers and hated/loved them then changed my opinion later on, there are so many factors that can change my opinion of a beer that sometimes I just need a few pints in a corner with a paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

I don't intend to harp on about it any longer.

I'm sick and tired of people sneakily promoting particular beers on this forum.

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭bennyineire

twerg_85 wrote: »
    I'm sick and tired of people sneakily promoting particular beers on this forum.

F.

Ah don't be such a grolsch :pac:

Ah don't be such a grolsch :pac:

No need to be so Surly.

No need to be so Surly.

Ah leave it out Bud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Mixed in the same glass, i'm drinking one now.

Am I reading this correct as you mixed Buried at Sea and the new stout in the same glass?

Why if so, seems odd

RasTa wrote: »
    Am I reading this correct as you mixed Buried at Sea and the new stout in the same glass?

Why if so, seems odd

Why not?

There's a chain of brew pubs in the Pacific north west of the us called McMinnamins, they sell about 5 beers, one of which is a raspberry flavored wheat ale called Ruby and a very hoppy pale called hammer head, lots of people order a pint of "rubber" which is both mixed.

RasTa wrote: »

Why if so, seems odd

I like chocolate, I like peanut butter, I especially enjoy the two combined. I took a chance and it turns out i liked the result, And it's not that odd. Ever heard of a snakebite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Why not?

There's a chain of brew pubs in the Pacific north west of the us called McMinnamins, they sell about 5 beers, one of which is a raspberry flavored wheat ale called Ruby and a very hoppy pale called hammer head, lots of people order a pint of "rubber" which is both mixed.

People also mix Smithwicks with a Guinness head for something closer to home

Advertisement