Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The shops then before the shops now thread-Nationwide!

Options
  • 29-01-2013 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭

Tried to get the thread title right.

Simply, this thread is for any shops/pubs/commercial centers etc anywhere in Ireland that were once there, but now something else is there in its place.

Tell your story of the shop you remember, and if you know, what shop or site exists now- all parts of Ireland catered for.

Best way to do that is a few examples:

HMV Grafton st Dublin - used to be Woolworth's - great memories of chrome swing doors, kids running in, grabbing a bunch of sweets and running out of the shop jumping on the back of an open backed bus- yes people's, buses used to go down Grafton st :D

Another example is Brown Thomas. Used to be where Marks and Spencer is now. Where Brown Thomas is now used to be Switzers- great Christmas display so it was.

Anyway, most of you know all this - what else do you remember- pictures welcome and good banter/memories encouraged- keep loosely on topic and we should get a good thread going.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭gipi

Penney's on O'Connell St Dublin was British Home Stores back in the early 80s. Loved their selection of lighting fixtures!

Murray's pharmacy on Talbot St Dublin (near Gardiner St junction) used to be the Educational Company of Ireland. Many's the August/September trip made there to get the new year's school books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Roches Stores, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

When I read the thread title, Woolworths was shop I was thinking of. Probably the first time I was on an excolator/moving stairs.

Greenes bookshop of Clare St. is a Jermyn street (London) referenced clothes shop.

McBirney's Building, Aston Quay. later condom-seller Virgin and now a super-sized newsagent.
    Tilework at door entrance has McBirney's.
    It's not officially called McBirney Building but I think it should be. (maybe like the names of some Pubs it gets called the immediate previous name).

Irish Times 1984
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0912/1224323902223.html
    "...In many ways it was a 19th- century institution, Mr Francis said wistfully, and when the British Wintrust Bank took it over in 1970 they were charmed with its old-world air, its panelling and magnificent staircase. But it didn’t make modern money sense, so when the PMPA took it over in 1977 many changes were made, including removing the panelling and the staircase."

The relatively recently opened fruit and veg supermarket on Wicklow street with blue-tile azure on the outside. I don't know what that building was before or whether it was in use. It's doors were always closed when I went passed and there was no company plaques on the wall outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Hemp Store on Capel Street, used to be TRAID.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The big wooden horse in Brown Thomas when it was on the other side of Grafton Street. Used to love that horse! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

LiamMc wrote: »
    When I read the thread title, Woolworths was shop I was thinking of. Probably the first time I was on an excolator/moving stairs.

Greenes bookshop of Clare St. is a Jermyn street (London) referenced clothes shop.

McBirney's Building, Aston Quay. later condom-seller Virgin and now a super-sized newsagent.
    Tilework at door entrance has McBirney's.
    It's not officially called McBirney Building but I think it should be. (maybe like the names of some Pubs it gets called the immediate previous name).

Irish Times 1984
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0912/1224323902223.html
    "...In many ways it was a 19th- century institution, Mr Francis said wistfully, and when the British Wintrust Bank took it over in 1970 they were charmed with its old-world air, its panelling and magnificent staircase. But it didn’t make modern money sense, so when the PMPA took it over in 1977 many changes were made, including removing the panelling and the staircase."

The relatively recently opened fruit and veg supermarket on Wicklow street with blue-tile azure on the outside. I don't know what that building was before or whether it was in use. It's doors were always closed when I went passed and there was no company plaques on the wall outside.

Greene's book store.....now there is one that particularly galls me.

This was such a fantastic shop, it was unique and so atmospheric, and really lent itself to the idea of Dublin as a city of writers, readers and of books......all the bloody grants that are given out for arts and heritage that add up to nothing......could some of that not be used to preserve an institution like Greene's so that Dublin can retain some uniqueness and not just be another British high street retail location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

nassau street.....fred hannahs= kc peaches..

dempseys music salon eh.on the top of capel street /parnell street junction is now.....gone? he was great for parts and bits of stuff I was (or more often than not- wasn't) looking for.

what was doctor quirkeys... is it still there or is there still a big hole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

steveone wrote: »
    dempseys music salon eh.on the top of capel street /parnell street junction is now.....gone? he was great for parts and bits of stuff I was (or more often than not- wasn't) looking for.

what was doctor quirkeys... is it still there or is there still a big hole?

Dr Quirkeys amusement arcade on O Connell st used to be a very fine Cinema called the Carlton.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dr Quirkeys amusement arcade on O Connell st used to be a very fine Cinema called the Carlton.

Nope, that's the "4D Experience" or whatever its claiming to be these days. Quirkeys is a different building.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Nope, that's the "4D Experience" or whatever its claiming to be these days. Quirkeys is a different building.

Which is owned by Dr. Quirkeys - ;)

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/2265095

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Which is owned by Dr. Quirkeys - ;)

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/2265095

The buildings are owned by NAMA now as far as I know - they might be running the tat that's in there though.

I can't remember what was in the actual amusement arcade building or the empty site prior to them being that, though.

The entrance to St Stephens Green centre and the corner of South King St used to be Rices pub.
    Just down from there was a 2nd hand record store where a lot of punks hung out. And of course, the site of Stephens Green centre housed the Gaiety Green and at the weekend, the Dandelion Market.

The joke shop on South King St beside the Gaiety, used to be in the Gaiety Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Virgin Megastore which was on Aston Quay, think it's a Super Valu now?
    The place was huge, could spend hours in the place flicking through CD's, it was the first place in Ireland to sell condoms.

Just remembered another one, King Burger on O'Connell Street, where the Spar is now beside Burger King.

dylbert wrote: »
    Virgin Megastore which was on Aston Quay, think it's a Super Valu now?
    The place was huge, could spend hours in the place flicking through CD's, it was the first place in Ireland to sell condoms.

Was McBirney's department store before that.

MYOB wrote: »
    Was McBirney's department store before that.

Any memories of that shop. I remember it being there and was in it but just can't picture the interior at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭gipi

It was a classic old-style department store with dark wood counters and drawers behind them - think the Men's Department in "Are you being Served"?!

What I remember most about McBirneys was their vacuum tube system for moving money from the shop floor to accounts. I remember them putting money into a cylinder, and putting it into the tube - could it have been the case that the counters didn't have individual tills (I'm a bit hazy on that!).

gipi wrote: »
    It was a classic old-style department store with dark wood counters and drawers behind them - think the Men's Department in "Are you being Served"?!

What I remember most about McBirneys was their vacuum tube system for moving money from the shop floor to accounts. I remember them putting money into a cylinder, and putting it into the tube - could it have been the case that the counters didn't have individual tills (I'm a bit hazy on that!).

Thanks gipi. It still doesn't ring any bells for me but great to hear your stories. :)

I think I was probably just too young. I remember the marble stairs in Brown Thomas, and the small Arnotts store in Grafton St so I'm not a young'in but I just can't picture the interior of McBirney's.

Any memories of that shop. I remember it being there and was in it but just can't picture the interior at all.

was caught up in a bombscare in there once.

Ilace centre... was that the five stars pub?
    was there a market arcade thing at the top of moore street facing Waldens ( another shop thats gone... capri's in the window) I have vague memories of one but can't be sure.

mccullough piggots on suffolk street, Huge musical instruments shop
    Mcnieve music in the ILAC
    Music maker in mary's abbey..
    the shop at the corner of parnell street that had a full suit of armour in it....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Live in Dublin but from Wexford so not sure many people will get these.....

Greenacres used to be where Boots is
    Archers pub before half of Redmond Square was taken over by Sam Macauley's
    Pettitts on south Main Street. Became a soccer goods shop for a very brief period & can't actually remember what's there now
    Trax used to be a video shop where I used to rent old WWF wrestling videos for a pound!
    Can't remember Redmond Square without Dunnes, can anyone shed any light? Ditto 1798 street!
    Mike Reedy's (spelling??) and a driving test centre in St Aidan's has been replaced by houses

So many more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

HMV Grafton st Dublin - used to be Woolworth's .
    Don't you mean HMV Henry Street? don't remember 2 of them in the area, only knew of one on Henry Street as my mate who used to love going in there often said it was at that street

I'm open to correction here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

mtjm wrote: »
    Correction duly offered!

mtjm wrote: »
    Don't you mean HMV Henry Street? don't remember 2 of them in the area, only knew of one on Henry Street as my mate who used to love going in there often said it was at that street

May well have been one in Henry st but It was Grafton st branch I was referring to. ;)
    GraftonStreet1961.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

Ah yes, sorry so both Woolworths were in the same location as the HMV's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

LiamMc wrote: »
    When I read the thread title, Woolworths was shop I was thinking of. Probably the first time I was on an excolator/
    A what???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Wasn’t Supermac’s in O’Connell street once a KFC and before that Dunkin Donuts?..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

D-FENS wrote: »
    Wasn’t Supermac’s in O’Connell street once a KFC and before that Dunkin Donuts?..

Pretty sure it was also a Wimpy,Burgerland,Old Kentucky,King Burger and Pat Grace's Famous Chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Slyne's Grafton Street --> (something) --> Dunkin Donuts --> Boodles
    Monument Creamery Grafton St --> Jonathan's (??) --> Burger King

The wooden horse was in O'Callaghan's which was a tenant in the old Brown Thomas (where M&S is now), and I think that it was a branch of Selfridge's before it became BTs.

Todd Byrnes, Mary Street --> Penny's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Dockerell's Hardware, Grafton St --> A-wear --> BT2

Advertisement