Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair - New reserved seating structure(s)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

lucian_lcr wrote: »
    joedavey1996, you can check in for the outgoing flight starting from 26/6/14 00:00 (midnight) and for the return on the 3/7/14 (midnight). I managed to do the check in right after the midnight, even if Ryanair does not officially say this. It is a bit uncomfortable to do the check in for the return flight on the day of your departure, but many of us manage to do it.

Actually this is what Ryanair wants us to believe! In fact, the free seats are not randomly allocated as they state, but following a precise order:
    - rows: 18, 15, 19, 14, 20, 13... (from the middle to back door and middle to front door)
    - on each row, the order of the seats allocation is A-F
    At least this is what I saw after analysing many, many FR flights.

Two weeks ago I was randomly assigned 11B, one of the most uncomfortable plane journeys of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

pajor wrote: »
    Two weeks ago I was randomly assigned 11B, one of the most uncomfortable plane journeys of my life.

Why ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

There are some wonderful people travelling who would rather be on the outside.
    Wonderful if they have a window seat. In that situation I will always be willing to accommodate them.
    Now if they have a middle seat, that another story altogether:D

mattser wrote: »
    Why ?

Because when you're 5'8 and there's two guys bigger than you on either side, it becomes quite uncomfortable and claustrophobic. I always take an aisle seat with AL. Will just give the feckers the €5 next time.

At least it was only from Eindhoven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Because when you're 5'8 and there's two guys bigger than you on either side, it becomes quite uncomfortable and claustrophobic. I always take an aisle seat with AL. Will just give the feckers the €5 next time.

At least it was only from Eindhoven.

I understand. Was just wondering how long the flight was. I'm 6'0'' and will also pay to have an aisle seat. Far more freedom. Did return to Spain recently and surely would have died in middle/window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

I thought after Ryanair assigns you a seat you still have a choice to pay for a different one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

That's crap.

• Advertisement

And even though there's an English language helpline in the Netherlands, I just wasn't bothered.

Lesson learned.

Gatica wrote: »
    That's crap.
    If that was not so there would be no need to book a seat until you saw what you are getting.
    In the end of the day you are gambling on just a few Euro.
    If seat location is a priority there is a cheap solution when booking

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Flew to Lanzarote last week, as usual everyone q'd up and myself and the wife got on to find a couple in our seats. I politely asked them to move as they were in our seats the lady said "dont be stupid its ryanair you just sit where you want" i pointed out on her boarding pass there were allocated seats.. she said " not my problem this is where im sitting" at that point i advised her again she & her husband were in our seats and my wife was 6 months pregnant and not a good flyer, the male then got uncomfortable and was trying to move but the wife told him firmly " sit your ass down we are not going anywhere" :eek:

Pressed the call bell, attendant moved them and the icing on the cake was as we were disembarking they had to wait until the plane emptied to get their hand luggage.

Similar occurrence without the grief on the way back, it would help if ryanair announced it was assigned seating tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yep - they announce it when they say the flight is boarding - please check your assigned seat on your boarding pass and they also announce it several times on the plane.

Dovies wrote: »
    Yep - they announce it when they say the flight is boarding - please check your assigned seat on your boarding pass and they also announce it several times on the plane.

Some people are just as thick as two planks. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

it would help if ryanair announced it was assigned seating tbh

They do and they also make it plain on the boarding pass and during the process of check in

There are some real fecking idiots in the world, you met 2 of them

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lucian_lcr

It may be that the 2 were so used to travelling with Ryanair, that they didn't even listen the announces. So, they didn't even imagined that the rules may have changed. At least you had a flight attendant to convince them, imagine this would happen in a train!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

lucian_lcr wrote: »
    It may be that the 2 were so used to travelling with Ryanair, that they didn't even listen the announces. So, they didn't even imagined that the rules may have changed. At least you had a flight attendant to convince them, imagine this would happen in a train!

It has happened me repeatedly with Irish rail. It's very annoying and has made things uncomfortable on occasion when train is full.
    I've emailed and they have replied saying I should ask the other people to move.
    Easy for them to say .....not so easy when it's a group of drunk people !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some people are just as thick as two planks. :pac:

This.

The number of 'rear door' boarders pushing their way all the way to the back from the front is unreal. Even when it's pointed out to them - 'Oh no, row 26 isn't too far back'.

Preserve me.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

It even says which door to use on the boarding pass! Some people :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nuph

Does anyone know is there a way two people who booked separately could be seated together? If we check in at almost the exact same time would we be more likely to be seated together?

nuph wrote: »
    Does anyone know is there a way two people who booked separately could be seated together? If we check in at almost the exact same time would we be more likely to be seated together?

If you don't do the check in (almost) at the same time, there is no chance that you seat together!

If you do the check in (almost) at the same time, there are 2 ways of making sure you get seated together:
    1. (recommended) - do the check in exactly when the check in period starts! That is 7 days before the flight date, at midnight. In order to fasten the check in process, you can fill the passenger details at any time before this moment. This way, you will most probably be allocated the seats 18A and 18B, over the wings (if they are available). So you will stay together.
    2. (only if you really hate row 18!) - you first have to understand the "allocation algorithm", as described in the post #96 of this thread (sorry, I can't post links) . Identify the current row and check whether there are any empty seats on the already allocated rows.
    - If there are, you will (probably) be allocated those seats, so you will NOT be seated together. So you have to wait till these empty seats get filled.
    - If there are no empty seats on the already allocated rows AND there are 2 seats available on the current row, you will be allocated those 2, go for it now!

Keep in mind that as the plane gets filled, the chance of having empty seats on the already allocated rows grows, so you may lose a lot of time keeping an eye on it. So if you can still do the first method, I strongly advise you to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nuph

Thanks for the replies.

Doing it exactly at midnight 7 days beforehand would be the best option but I had waited too long for that option.

Instead we used the second option and booked within 20 seconds of each other getting seats 23D and 23E. The risk is that if there is only one seat left in a row you will be split up so as mentioned be aware of how many seats are remaining in the allocated row and wait until there are enough free seats before checking in.

Great, I'm glad it worked out for you too!
    True, the risk you mention is there, I thought I clearly mentioned it by saying "...AND there are 2 seats available on the current row..."

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Put in all passport info at 8 yesterday evening. Logged back in at midnight and got our 4 seats in a row :-)

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Put in all passport info at 8 yesterday evening. Logged back in at midnight and got our 4 seats in a row :-)
    Four in a row! Are you going to the States?:)

Advertisement