Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - New reserved seating structure(s)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lucian_lcr

I'm trying to understand if "Ryanair would split groups on purpose", just to convince us to pay for an allocated seat on our next flight. Is there anybody here that:

- travelled (with Ryanair in the last month) in a small (2-6 persons) group, all on the same reservation
    - didn't pay for allocated seats and
    - got separate seats?

Is so, how long before departure did you check-in?

I'm asking this because I suspect they try to put people (travelling on the same reservation) together, if possible (if they don't check-in in the last minute).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

mambo wrote: »
    I wish Ryanair wouldn't say "randomly allocated seat". They are NOT randomly allocated, rather they are allocated in a logical sequence.

random (adj.): made, done, or happening without method or conscious decision.

In fact a complaint could probably be made to the Aviation Regulator or National Consumer Agency that this is misleading advertising, and the wording presumably deliberately chosen by Ryanair to try to scare people into paying extra to choose their seats?

Anyone know to which it would be best to report Ryanair?

Or maybe highlight this to Aer Lingus and let them make the complaint :-)
    (Ryanair recently made a successful complaint against Aer Lingus I seem to recall)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The new system doesn't like Firefox too much (it was not letting me check in for only one leg), but seems to work OK with Internet Explorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lc180

In fact a complaint could probably be made to the Aviation Regulator or National Consumer Agency that this is misleading advertising, and the wording presumably deliberately chosen by Ryanair to try to scare people into paying extra to choose their seats?

Anyone know to which it would be best to report Ryanair?

Or maybe highlight this to Aer Lingus and let them make the complaint :-)
    (Ryanair recently made a successful complaint against Aer Lingus I seem to recall)

Ah here! Seriously? You want to report them to the consumer agency? And I thoughti was having a bad morning.....

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

There's no cure for stupidity....

I don't think one can make a case for "I'd like it to be more random"... Most random number generators are not that random either, there's a predictable pattern, the repeat rate is just really high but is one of the main vulnerabilities in security.
    Unless you were joking, I suppose....

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Gatica wrote: »
    I don't think one can make a case for "I'd like it to be more random"... Most random number generators are not that random either, there's a predictable pattern, the repeat rate is just really high but is one of the main vulnerabilities in security.
    Unless you were joking, I suppose....

I wouldn't like it to be more random. Just for Ryanair not to use the word "random" when it's NOT random, but sequential. Saying automatic seat assignment is "random" will presumably lead more people to pay to choose their seats out of fear that they won't be sitting with their travelling companions if they don't cough up extra €€€, and perhaps is a deliberate ploy by Ryanair, who, let's face it, use every trick in the book to try to squeeze extra revenue from each and every passenger.

Although I don't like Ryanair, I don't see any issue with that model myself.

Even with average persons (that know they have an allocated seat and know which one it is), the allocated seat boarding method is very slow. Why? Because every person that tries to take his seat, blocks the aisle for at least a few seconds to even a minute. Now, if the persons waiting in queue don't have an allocated seat, they might take the seat that is right next to them, so they will NOT block the queue once again. But with the allocated seating, everybody will block the queue when they arrive to their precise seat, so for a much longer time (in total) than with random seating.

So, unless Ryanair will find a solution to fasten the boarding process, they will continue to face delays on their flights. And I suspect they will not renounce on the "the on-time airline" slogan so easy!

• Advertisement

They'll just make their flight times longer so they'll still arrive "on time"...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

lucian_lcr wrote: »

So, unless Ryanair will find a solution to fasten the boarding process, they will continue to face delays on their flights. And I suspect they will not renounce on the "the on-time airline" slogan so easy!

Do away with the overhead baggage things and make them put the bag under the seat in front. If it's the right size it will fit. If it doesn't fit, 100 euro please.
    They'd be sitting down quick enough then.

How about making you pay a fee if you don't take your seat in less than 10 seconds? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

spurious wrote: »
    Do away with the overhead baggage things and make them put the bag under the seat in front. If it's the right size it will fit. If it doesn't fit, 100 euro please.
    They'd be sitting down quick enough then.

Are their cabin bag measurements in relation to the seat? I thought the measurements were for the overhead bins, which are taller...

Are their cabin bag measurements in relation to the seat? I thought the measurements were for the overhead bins, which are taller...

They are supposed to fit in either location. The problem is most of what goes on as cabin baggage is outside the correct size so will only fit in the overhead bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Had two flights last week. No problem with Ryanair, only some of the uber thick passengers trying to avoid/dodge/make life miserable for others.

The "entitled" attitude that came with the tiger has unfortunately stayed with us after he left.

spurious wrote: »
    They are supposed to fit in either location. The problem is most of what goes on as cabin baggage is outside the correct size so will only fit in the overhead bins.

I don't think so. The max dimensions of 50x40x20cm don't fit under the seat and they usually make an announcement requesting passengers to put bags that fit under the seat in front under that seat, so that passengers with bigger bags (presumably still within limits) are still able to get their bags into the overhead bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 joedavey1996

Hi

Can any one help me

I am due to fly from STN - ACE on the 3/7/14 6:20am and return on the 10/7/14 .

Would you be able to tell me the earliest time that I can check in online and get free seats. We are a party of 4 don't mind being split 2 and 2 but would prefer to sit together , so any tips on when the best time to check in would be great. We do not want to pay any extra fees.

Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

You are restricted in your check in window to seven days to two hours.
    If you have booked allocated seats you have thirty days.

If you dont mind where you sit or if you are split up etc its a matter of choice when you check in if between the stated times.

From the 8th April 2014 onwards online check-in will open 30 days before each scheduled flight departure time for customers who purchase an allocated seat. Customers who do not wish to select and purchase an allocated seat, can check-in online between 7 days and 2 hours before each booked flight and will be randomly allocated a seat free of charge. Once a passenger has checked in online they can reprint or download their boarding pass up to two (2) hours before each scheduled flight departure time. Each Boarding Pass must be printed and presented on an individual A4 page. Customers who fail to check-in online within the above deadlines will be charged an Airport Check-In fee at the rate set out in our Consolidated Table of Fees. Customers who do not present a boarding pass at the airport will be charged a Boarding Pass Re-Issue fee at rate set out in our Consolidated Table of Fees

• Advertisement

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    You are restricted in your check in window to seven days to two hours.
    If you have booked allocated seats you have thirty days.

If you dont mind where you sit or if you are split up etc its a matter of choice when you check in if between the stated times.

Thanks for your reply.

So do you reckon If i checked in exactly 7 days before we may get seats together ?

Thanks for your reply.

So do you reckon If i checked in exactly 7 days before we may get seats together ?
    Its a lottery really but on the last two occasions that I booked on the very start of the seven days we got adjacent seats. Three travelling on the first occasion and four on the second occasion. You will know once you have checked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Its a lottery really but on the last two occasions that I booked on the very start of the seven days we got adjacent seats. Three travelling on the first occasion and four on the second occasion. You will know once you have checked in.
    Is it 7 days to the exact time?
    Say if flight is 820pm it will open 820pm week before ?

km79 wrote: »
    Is it 7 days to the exact time?
    Say if flight is 820pm it will open 820pm week before ?
    I often meant to specifically check that out but I forget it each time. I can say that on one occasion at just past midnight I checked in for a flight in which the seven days would not have commenced until 18.30 that evening and I did not have a problem.
    I do know that the two hours is precise as a friend of mine got caught when a gremlin popped up on the Ryanair site.
    Luckily Ryan Air accepted that there had been a problen and issued a boarding card but it cost her on phone calls.

Thank you for replies, do you see your seats before you have confirmed to check in

Thank you for replies, do you see your seats before you have confirmed to check in
    If you are on free seats you see them when you have checked in, otherwise people would be chopping and changing. They usually fill the seats from the centre, forward and back, and load front and rear towards centre,or at least that what they did any time I travelled

joedavey1996, you can check in for the outgoing flight starting from 26/6/14 00:00 (midnight) and for the return on the 3/7/14 (midnight). I managed to do the check in right after the midnight, even if Ryanair does not officially say this. It is a bit uncomfortable to do the check in for the return flight on the day of your departure, but many of us manage to do it.
    Its a lottery really...
    Actually this is what Ryanair wants us to believe! In fact, the free seats are not randomly allocated as they state, but following a precise order:
    - rows: 18, 15, 19, 14, 20, 13... (from the middle to back door and middle to front door)
    - on each row, the order of the seats allocation is A-F
    At least this is what I saw after analysing many, many FR flights.

Thanks very much for the help !

• Advertisement

lucian_lcr wrote: »
    joedavey1996, you can check in for the outgoing flight starting from 26/6/14 00:00 (midnight) and for the return on the 3/7/14 (midnight). I managed to do the check in right after the midnight, even if Ryanair does not officially say this. It is a bit uncomfortable to do the check in for the return flight on the day of your departure, but many of us manage to do it.

Actually this is what Ryanair wants us to believe! In fact, the free seats are not randomly allocated as they state, but following a precise order:
    - rows: 18, 15, 19, 14, 20, 13... (from the middle to back door and middle to front door)
    - on each row, the order of the seats allocation is A-F
    At least this is what I saw after analysing many, many FR flights.
    That is what I said in my previous post. but it is a lottery as to where you will sit as you do not know until you have checked in.
    Also if there are four of you together and two seats are available in their forward allocation and two on their rearward allocation your group will be split.
    When I travel alone I leave the check in until late:cool:

Advertisement