Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PME Primary Teaching.

• 25-04-2014 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey guys,

Has anyone applied for the PME Primary Teaching course beginning in September 2014?
    Has anyone heard about interview dates or the likes yet?

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭stew.z.ger

Hi..

I have applied. The interview dates for Dub are between the 21st, 22nd and 23rd May. I am sitting my college exams on those dates so I am hoping that they will put on another date. How is your Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dark.Horse

Ooh bummer on having exams around the same time. I've heard since that the Limerick dates are the 26th and 27th of May not sure if they'll get everyone done in two days. I would say my Irish is pretty good well it should be after studying it for 18 years of my life! You? I'm hoping we hear something this week from the colleges.

Dont tell me you are fluent - well jealous!! I resat the HL Irish paper last year.. got a B in it - I was and still am thrilled. I'm starting to get Irish grinds tomorrow so fingers crossed that will help.. what did u get your degree in?

A B is amazing :) Well done! My degree will be in Gaeilge agus Tíreolaíocht when i'm finished in a few weeks time.

Oh you will so get Primary Teaching!! Go you!!! Send some of your as Gaeilge confidence my way :-/ Hibernia has been approved by the Teaching Council to go ahead with the Masters. I shall be applying there too!! =)

• Advertisement

stew.z.ger wrote: »
    Oh you will so get Primary Teaching!! Go you!!! Send some of your as Gaeilge confidence my way :-/ Hibernia has been approved by the Teaching Council to go ahead with the Masters. I shall be applying there too!! =)

I hope so! I'm sure you'll do great too! :) Just checked the Hibernia site closing date 20th of June if you're finished college and the 4th of July if you're in final year but €95 to apply is a bit crazy and they want like 5 copies of everything madness altogether!

Dark.Horse wrote: »
    I hope so! I'm sure you'll do great too! :) Just checked the Hibernia site closing date 20th of June if you're finished college and the 4th of July if you're in final year but €95 to apply is a bit crazy and they want like 5 copies of everything madness altogether!

Yeh I thought that too!! Its also €50 extra to apply.. they have a webinar set up on Sunday at 6pm. Its about application form, etc.. u must register for it though. Worst a peek! Yep if u are doing your degree the lastest u can apply is the 30th June. I emailed them and that was what they said however thats not wat it says on website so think I'll just go by website :-/ They just seem to want so much info.. Hows the studying going??

Yeh I thought that too!! Its also €50 extra to apply.. they have a webinar set up on Sunday at 6pm. Its about application form, etc.. u must register for it though. Worst a peek! Yep if u are doing your degree the lastest u can apply is the 30th June. I emailed them and that was what they said however thats not wat it says on website so think I'll just go by website :-/ They just seem to want so much info.. Hows the studying going??

Oh really? Cheers for the heads up I shall give that a look :) Yeah a lot of information a lot more than the actual universities which is really strange. I was reading up on boards about it and people were saying they were a stickler with the irish part of the interview and if you fail it you have to pay €250 to do some Irish course, prove that you did it then pay another €95 to apply again. That's just crazy! (Studies okay...exams start tuesday aaah!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lola 123

Hey guys,

I have applied to do the PME and I'm just wondering does anyone know if books read by the applicant refers to Irish books read by the applicant or just books in general ?

Oh really? Cheers for the heads up I shall give that a look :) Yeah a lot of information a lot more than the actual universities which is really strange. I was reading up on boards about it and people were saying they were a stickler with the irish part of the interview and if you fail it you have to pay €250 to do some Irish course, prove that you did it then pay another €95 to apply again. That's just crazy! (Studies okay...exams start tuesday aaah!)

Sorry only gettn back to you now... Studying for exams... It is crazy, money racket if you ask me!! I got my interview date - eek!! Best of luck in you exams.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lola 123 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have applied to do the PME and I'm just wondering does anyone know if books read by the applicant refers to Irish books read by the applicant or just books in general ?

Hi.. I am relating it to books in general :)

Hi.. I am relating it to books in general :)

Thank you that makes things a little easier ! Best of luck with the interview :)

Sorry only gettn back to you now... Studying for exams... It is crazy, money racket if you ask me!! I got my interview date - eek!! Best of luck in you exams.. :rolleyes:

You got your interview date? Well done! Im still waiting to hear for my Limerick one? Did you apply to Mary I? (Hope the studying is going well!)

You got your interview date? Well done! Im still waiting to hear for my Limerick one? Did you apply to Mary I? (Hope the studying is going well!)

No I applied to Dublin. My interview date is the 21st.. Ah you'll hear soon I'm sure. I'm here trying to study Law :-( It's just so much pressure having my exams and then my teaching interview between them. No pressure eh....!!!!

No I applied to Dublin. My interview date is the 21st.. Ah you'll hear soon I'm sure. I'm here trying to study Law :-( It's just so much pressure having my exams and then my teaching interview between them. No pressure eh....!!!!

Got my date today thank god I was beginning to worry! Good luck with your exams. I finished yesterday after the toughest two weeks ever.

You lucky thing you!!! I did my second one yesterday. Have my next exam on Tues, the interview Weds, another exam on Thurs and my Research symposium/presentation on Fri.. I will be getting hammered on Fri night!!!!

When do you get your exam results?? I am so jealous that you are fin! How am I going to get time to study and do a bit more cramming for teaching interview......... lort!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mor9292

Hi I am just wondering if anyone has done the interview for Mary I, did the pats interview in Pats last week and it was fine but I heard mary I is a lot harder, especially the irish?

I would really appreciate some help. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BEGAN20

Hi, I sat the Mary I interview yesterday. It went well, I think! The Irish was a bit more difficult for me, compared with my Irish oral in Pats the week before.

In Pats I was asked to read aloud one sliocht from a choice of three.
    In Limerick, I had to first read aloud and then answer questions on the piece.

The pair I had for my Irish interview were both very pleasant, one had learned Irish and was a lot easier to comprehend, the other spoke with Munster Irish, Kerry I'd imagine, at a ferocious pace.

Like other Irish orals I have done, they were both very encouraging but did not let me dictate the conversation as much as previous.

Timewise, they kept me in there a bit longer too.

The English interview was fine, again two very pleasant interviewers. Same questions arise again and again - why teach, what qualities can you bring, your understanding of a classroom; different types of learners, gifted children, children with an SEN, the curriculum, your experience to date in a classroom etc etc.

This was what I encountered but there's no hard and fast rules when it comes to the interview process as far as I can see.

All the best with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭CailinGaillimh

Hi, sat my interview on Tuesday :)

I really enjoyed the English interview panel. I got asked questions about my degree, how I felt it would help me with teaching, about my placement experiences from my undergrad (education based), the differences i felt between experiences in affluent areas vs disadvantaged, what I would bring into a classroom in an ideal world & the main differences between my degree and primary school teaching.. Then I got the generic why do you want to teach etc. Interestingly, I was asked about music and drama & was given the scope to tell them about how I would implement it within a classroom (music & drama were very evident on my application form!).

The Irish interview went well, I think. The woman on my panel was lovely and very interactive. Again, read the sliocht was asked one, maybe 2 questions on that. Then I was asked about my experience living in the Gaeltacht, about being bilingual, where I would like to live in the future & then had a general short conversation with the second person on the panel about sport.

Overall, I am happy with it. As always, I feel that I could have answered things a little better. But fingers crossed it will be good news in July!! :-)

*EDIT* does anyone know roughly how many places they'll offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Well done, CailínGaillimh! :)

• Advertisement

Anyone know when we'll hear?
    I've heard next week but I've also heard the middle of July?

Anyone know when we'll hear?
    I've heard next week but I've also heard the middle of July?

Hi I have heard mid July too , I think final years have to submit results by the 4th of July so some time after that I'm hoping :)

Was told "sometime in July" by the lady who brought me up to the panels..

Anyone know what the craic is with your results if you're coming from Mary I? Print them off and bring them through students services is what I'm assuming, but wondering what others are doing!

I was thinking the same! I heard they may be able to just accesss our results for us! Not 100% sure though. Might have to send an e-mail to the admissions office closer to the time!

I was asking around the time I was up asking about something else earlier on in the semester. I think my query at that time was did I need to submit transcripts with the application form and she said that there was no need then because it was coming through the college.. But she didn't really elaborate on what would happen after that.. E-mailing inside in there is like pulling hens teeth!! Or should I say expecting a reply to e-mails... :(

Just wondering if anyone else is feeling oddly anxious when they think about this? July seems so far away....

I'm feeling the same! I've been talking to a lot of teachers and people in general the last few days and they also seem to think it's very far away!

It really is. I originally thought that we might have gotten conditional offers after the interviews (maybe last week) and then once the exam results came through we'd get the actual offer. Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Keano84

They offer approx. 60-70 places out of 300+ applicants. This figure seems to be increasing every year however! Best of luck :)

• Advertisement

You have no idea on whether the applicants had been dwindled down for the purpose of the interviews or not do you? :)

Advertisement