Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Man Syndrome.

Options
  • 23-04-2014 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

I'm just back from a meeting that was chaired by a little, fat arsehole of a man. The type that is nearly taller sitting down than he is standing up. It got me thinking that over the years I've encountered plenty of short men who were complete arseholes. Much more so than tall men (which I'd count myself as being).

This has become known as Napoleon Complex over the years. Does being closer to the ground do something to the personality of small men? Is it over-compensation? Is it jealousy because tall people tend to get paid more?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

The type that is nearly smaller sitting down than he is standing up.

Arent all people smaller sitting down than they are standing up?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The type that is nearly smaller sitting down than he is standing up.

...?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Similarly to the reason small dogs are the narky ones -

'it's because they have to drag their balls along the wet grass'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Apologies. I've edited the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Are you tall because you are standing on your soapbox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sounds like you're making quite a generalisation there OP.
    But yeah, I think there is a truth in there somewhere, short guys compensate by working harder and can be more aggressive, particularly to tall guys that make jokes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I'm not on my soapbox. An experience this morning made me think about the topic and I decided to start a thread about it asking others what they thought. I'm pretty sure that is how message boards work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

If I see further than you, it's because I am standing on the shoulders of some fat little bastard who couldn't even see out the window standing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

in the apprentice, you never see alan sugar sitting into his chair, because it's on a platform. he has to take a step up to sit into it and be on a level/higher than the 2 either side of him.
    he swings his legs underneath the chair too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

the small man has to fight for his attention to make up for his physical appearence.

The small man is agressive and wise they become great leaders and good fathers.

examples include Eamonn Gilmore , Michael D Higgins ,Usher and Simon cowell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The female equivalent is called Fattitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I know a few short guys and they're probably the nicest, funniest guys i know. You just met an ásshole by the sounds of it. I doubt it's because of his height.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

the small man has to fight for his attention to make up for his physical appearence.

The small man is agressive and wise they become great leaders and good fathers.

examples include Eamonn Gilmore , Michael D Higgins ,Usher and Simon cowell.

And Jesus. He was another short-arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Bit of a correlation/causation kerfuffle there, OP.

I quite like short men because they make me feel tall. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I'm just back from a meeting that was chaired by a little, fat arsehole of a man. The type that is nearly taller sitting down than he is standing up. It got me thinking that over the years I've encountered plenty of short men who were complete arseholes. Much more so than tall men (which I'd count myself as being).

This has become known as Napoleon Complex over the years. Does being closer to the ground do something to the personality of small men? Is it over-compensation? Is it jealousy because tall people tend to get paid more?

I like your lack of generalisation. Tall men are well known for their ability to avoid generalising.

I suppose being small isn't particularly masculine looking or attractive to most women, and that's what puts them in a bad mood. Small men also seem to have high pitched squeaky voices, which doesn't help with the image. Then you have to wonder if *everything* is in proportion. There's a reason women favour tall men.:) All generally speaking, of course. Some can compensate with decent personalities though.

It's unfair enough though, I'm small and nobody accuses me of anything on the basis of it because I'm a girl, I'm just petite, cute and other patronising adjectives.

It's only my opinion, don't shoot the messenger if you're an offended short-arse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

6 out of 7 dwarfs aren't happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Thread need a graph. Height Vs Viciousness.
    Plot my point at 6'1" - Pussycat

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Candie wrote: »
    I suppose being small isn't particularly masculine looking or attractive to most women, and that's what puts them in a bad mood. Small men also seem to have high pitched squeaky voices, which doesn't help with the image. Then you have to wonder if *everything* is in proportion. There's a reason women favour tall men.:) All generally speaking, of course. Some can compensate with decent personalities though.

It's unfair enough though, I'm small and nobody accuses me of anything on the basis of it because I'm a girl, I'm just petite, cute and other patronising adjectives.

It's only my opinion, don't shoot the messenger if you're an offended short-arse :)

So much vanity in one post:D

So much vanity in one post:D

I don't claim to be perfect.

Close, but not perfect. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I've always gone for average height men (I'm 5' 5") who are the same height or just a bit taller. I like 'em short and broad. Contrary to the stereotype, they've always been adequately endowed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

If it's true for small people then wouldn't the same be true of really tall people? Both are equally horrible yet the former gets known as a Napoleon Complex; even though Napoleon was the regular height of a Frenchman, doesn't help when you're surrounded by the tallest and best soliders, but that's another story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

My opinion is that the some of the sexiest sexy sex I had was with a man shorter than me (I'm 5'3" :D ). Sometimes if a taller man is walking me home I'll hop up a few doorsteps just to get that lovely feeling of leaning down for a kiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I've always gone for average height men (I'm 5' 5") who are the same height or just a bit taller. I like 'em short and broad. Contrary to the stereotype, they've always been adequately endowed. :)

Small Jockey, big whip. I think it's something to do with science.

I don't claim to be perfect.

Close, but not perfect. :)

so what's your ideal man

Eamonn Gilmore or Leo cullen

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

they're funny to look at. leave them at it.

Muise... wrote: »
    My opinion is that the some of the sexiest sexy sex I had was with a man shorter than me (I'm 5'3" :D ). Sometimes if a taller man is walking me home I'll hop up a few doorsteps just to get that lovely feeling of leaning down for a kiss.

You're pretty unique though, as I've always said. :)

That would make me feel like I'm kissing a child!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Muise... wrote: »

Were any of them ever brought home by a Garda, thinking he was your lost youngfella?? :pac::pac::pac:

so what's your ideal man

Eamonn Gilmore or Leo cullen

I'll know when I meet him, and he could be pretty short or pretty tall, I don't have a list of preferences. Taller than me is a must, but I'm tiny (less than 5ft).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

biko wrote: »
    Sounds like you're making quite a generalisation there OP.
    But yeah, I think there is a truth in there somewhere, short guys compensate by working harder and can be more aggressive, particularly to tall guys that make jokes..

It's not just short lads, it's lads in general who have an attribute which can't be changed through working out etc that they feel makes them conventionally less attractive than other lads. Not that they tend to be bitter, but that they tend to push themselves harder in other ways to over compensate for what they see as a starting handicap.

Can attest to this myself, I have a slight problem with embarrassingly puffy nipples which is the reason I spend so much time in the gym on my triceps, back etc - it's overemphasizing the things you can actually do something about to minimize the things you can't.

I'm sure there's an interesting psychological discussion to be had there somewhere :D

Advertisement