Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Holiday in Scotland, HELP!!

Options
  • 21-04-2014 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

So I'm considering doing a driving holiday in Scotland for 1 week in early June but not too sure where exactly to head for. I was wondering could anyone recommend routes, must see places, do's and don'ts etc. All help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

We done this last September. Was fantastic.
    We got ferry from Belfast to cairnryan. Stayed in straraer for night about 10 minutes away.
    Day 1 stranraer to Edinburgh via lanark.
    Not sure what you are interested in but there is museum town in lanark that I'd recommend visiting.
    Day 2 Edinburgh to pitlochry via st andrews
    day 3 pitlochry to Granton on spey via Balmoral. Gorgeous scenery On route. Didn't get to see Balmoral castle as queen was in residence.
    Day 4 granton on spey to crianlarich via Inverness. You will pass through Glencoe. Wow is all I have to say. Don't skip Glencoe.
    Day 5 crainlarch back to stranraer along the coast.

We stayed in the outskirts of Edinburgh and didn't visit the city. Queensferry is a nice little stop in the way out of Edinburgh. Linlithgow was a nice stop also.
    If I was doing this again I would add an extra night and stay in st Andrews and then into pitlochry. I wouldn't stay in granton on spey, it's just a very small town.we found it hard to get something to eat that night I would maybe go stay in aviemore that night instead.

Don't bother going into the loch Ness centre. Waste of time.

There is a lot of driving there. Not sure what distances you want to cover On a daily basis so use Google maps to see approx driving times between places non stop and factor in approx stop times. If you want I can tell you where we stayed . Would recommend all but one.

The one thing I did find was the further north we went the harder it was to find good accommodation and everything was so much more expensive. The people were so friendly you will have a great time. Enjoy

Advertisement