Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows Phone / Windows 8 App recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I use an app called Forecast, its modern and customisable but more importantly always seems to have pretty good forecasts. Data comes from Norway i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Hmmm, perhaps bing just isn't giving me the readings I want!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

g0g wrote: »
    Another great recommendation I got from WP Central:
    Hexic
    Absolutely addictive game on either W8 or WP8! It's a puzzle rotate-block game but a bit different from the norm.

Great game and I like how they've updated it from the old 360 game. Although they just have been aiming at the Lumia 1520 with some of the UI text - even on the Lumia 920 it is almost unreadable (Dead Rising on SD TV small 😊)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

The NTA have released their official Journey Planner app. Be sure to download and review to show other Irish companies/developers that there is an Irish userbase to aim their official apps at.

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=f2f29435-baa1-4d63-8263-4993ecc4ab13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

mark_m360 wrote: »
    The NTA have released their official Journey Planner app. Be sure to download and review to show other Irish companies/developers that there is an Irish userbase to aim their official apps at.

I installed this yesterday and since then, my battery drained like a bloody sieve, missed my alarm this morning because of it :(

Must be one hell of a drain bug in it somewhere, all ok now since I uninstalled it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

bidiots wrote: »
    I installed this yesterday and since then, my battery drained like a bloody sieve, missed my alarm this morning because of it :(

Must be one hell of a drain bug in it somewhere, all ok now since I uninstalled it...

Me too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Does it have to constantly run in the background to work properly?

Can't you set it to only access info when you open the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

Does it have to constantly run in the background to work properly?

Can't you set it to only access info when you open the app?

I set mine up just using the default (on an HTC 8X). It doesn't run in the background and I didn't notice any change in my battery life.

Having said that, I only use it to check how late the bus is going to be....

When I checked running apps, it didn't appear. I installed the app, used it once, killed all running apps and my battery died with a few hours. Charged my phone before I went to bed, set alarm, woke up late because bloody phone died. Got rid of app, charged phone and now all back to normal. There is a drain bug in the app, where or what or how, I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I must have done something wrong, but the App won't actually find any locations (if I want to look for Departures or plan a trip). It just spins for a bit and then says "No matches have been found. Please try a different search term".

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app (just in case I missed some prompt for location services). No joy.

Anyone else have this problem?

• Advertisement

I must have done something wrong, but the App won't actually find any locations (if I want to look for Departures or plan a trip). It just spins for a bit and then says "No matches have been found. Please try a different search term".

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app (just in case I missed some prompt for location services). No joy.

Anyone else have this problem?

Again, the app seems to work fine for me. Given your experience and the issue that bidiots and GarIT have I must just be very lucky or about to have some real grief come my way :)

Over the weekend I'll contact the developers by e-mail (just in case they don't pay attention to the reviews) and alert them as I'd hate for the app to fail.

It's really weird, without the app installed I get 5 days battery, with it installed I get 1 day. Charged the phone two days just before I slept woke up one morning with 95% battery left and the other with 50% battery left.

The strangest thing is that apparently it doesn't even want to run in the background. It's not on the list of apps that want permission to run in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

GarIT wrote: »
    It's really weird, without the app installed I get 5 days battery, with it installed I get 1 day. Charged the phone two days just before I slept woke up one morning with 95% battery left and the other with 50% battery left.

The strangest thing is that apparently it doesn't even want to run in the background. It's not on the list of apps that want permission to run in the background.

5 days!? What phone do you have?

5 days!? What phone do you have?

Lumia 920, I've 1 app installed I think, I removed all the crapware that comes with it and the battery seems to last forever. To be honest I don't use it at all lately, it could sit in my pocket all day somedays without me even checking the time on it. When I am actually using it I only get about 2 days.

I've the same phone and battery life is very good as we'll. battery fully charged 26 hours ago and it's reading at 79% at the moment. That's with bit of browsing,texting,few calls,Bluetooth on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

delos wrote: »
    Again, the app seems to work fine for me. Given your experience and the issue that bidiots and GarIT have I must just be very lucky or about to have some real grief come my way :)

Over the weekend I'll contact the developers by e-mail (just in case they don't pay attention to the reviews) and alert them as I'd hate for the app to fail.

Hi delos, I'm just thinking perhaps the issue is with specific brands of devices? I'm a fairly heavy user of my Lumia 625 anyway, the battery monitor app says 11% drain per hour, but when I installed the Journey Planner app, battery drain shot up to 23% per hour! I uninstalled the app and as Gar and bidiots have observed, things went back to normal.

What's the advantage of this app over HERE Transit anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Czarcasm wrote: »
    What's the advantage of this app over HERE Transit anyway?

In theory, they are both supplied the same info so it really comes down to which features or design you prefer.

Nokia Transit tries to be minimal with it's UI, whereas the NTA app gives you a ton of features (like the iOS and Android equivalents).

For some reason Here Transit won't play nicely on my HTC.

I get a "Sorry. The SIM card in your phone and this version of the application won't work together."

Anyone else able to use it with a 3 Ireland SIM?

For some reason Here Transit won't play nicely on my HTC.

I get a "Sorry. The SIM card in your phone and this version of the application won't work together."

Anyone else able to use it with a 3 Ireland SIM?

I'm actually with Three Ireland delos and have no issues using HERE Transit on my Nokia Lumia 625.

theothernt wrote: »

Nokia Transit tries to be minimal with it's UI, whereas the NTA app gives you a ton of features (like the iOS and Android equivalents).

Transit is minimal compared to the NTA app? Nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

For those of you who have had battery issues with the Journey Planner app, they have completed their benchmark tests and it's showed that it uses less battery than the HERE app.

They were only able to test the app on a limited number of devices so they will do further testing on more devices to see if they can resolve the issue. It works fine on my 1020.

For those of you who have had battery issues with the Journey Planner app, they have completed their benchmark tests and it's showed that it uses less battery than the HERE app.

They were only able to test the app on a limited number of devices so they will do further testing on more devices to see if they can resolve the issue. It works fine on my 1020.

I use the HERE apps and know for a fact that there is a battery drain with the journey app. I've sent my batt stats to the developer....to be honest, Here Transit is far more impressive anyway.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I'm actually with Three Ireland delos and have no issues using HERE Transit on my Nokia Lumia 625.

That's interesting. I'm assuming that it's not because I'm using an HTC - previously I wouldn't have been able to download the HERE apps from the store. I wonder if it checks the location (I'm based in Cork) and as from what I can see the coverage in Ireland is restricted to Dublin. Even so, it's a bit of an odd error message if that is the case....

Maybe I should ask them :)

That's interesting. I'm assuming that it's not because I'm using an HTC - previously I wouldn't have been able to download the HERE apps from the store. I wonder if it checks the location (I'm based in Cork) and as from what I can see the coverage in Ireland is restricted to Dublin. Even so, it's a bit of an odd error message if that is the case....

Maybe I should ask them :)

It sounds like the only difference here delos is the phone manufacturer as I'm based in Limerick City and it pulls in all the regional bus timetable information, train timetables, etc. I wonder could it be your SIM card needs to be replaced as I know with some of the HTC models they required a software update before the 4G could be operated on the phone? Might be no harm to call into a Three shop and try a new SIM card first.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PadelCreekMan

I use the HERE apps and know for a fact that there is a battery drain with the journey app. I've sent my batt stats to the developer....to be honest, Here Transit is far more impressive anyway.

The NTA Windows app has real time departures for bus. HERE haven't added that yet.
    The NTA release note mentioned that Real Time for LUAS and Irish Rail is being added shortly along with fares info.

The Nokia HERE app is powered by the same data as the NTA app. Here is where to get that data http://www.transportforireland.ie/transitData/PT_Data.html

The NTA Windows app has real time departures for bus. HERE haven't added that yet.
    The NTA release note mentioned that Real Time for LUAS and Irish Rail is being added shortly along with fares info.

The Nokia HERE app is powered by the same data as the NTA app. Here is where to get that data http://www.transportforireland.ie/transitData/PT_Data.html

I'm aware of all that, I prefer the Here app.

I'm aware of all that, I prefer the Here app.

Good stuff. It's like the buses. Nothing for ages and then 2 come together!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Not really, Here Maps has been around a good while!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Not really, Here Maps has been around a good while!

Ah yes Kmart. But HERE Transit with PT data for Ireland has been only around for 11 weeks. I posted a note on Boards about that launch.

Google Transit had Ireland PT in first back in November last.

Yahoo Maps also includes Ireland PT data (11 weeks ). Don't forget about hittheroad and GetThere who actually beat even the NTA putting out PT online info services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

The Nokia HERE app is powered by the same data as the NTA app. Here is where to get that data

That's the best news for developers - we can now use all that data (officially!) to make our own transport times apps :)

Advertisement