Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities you'd never return to

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I'm surprised Brussels has been mentioned a few times. I thought that was a lovely city with very friendly people and savage grub. Bloody expensive accommodation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Thought Budapest was a super friendly city. Was there alone.

The opposite case was Rome. Most rude people ever. Pushing my mother by wheelchair on the narrow footpaths oncoming pedestrians would stand for a second as if waiting for us to dismount the kerb around them.

When we got a poorly served dish at a restaurant the manager called us liars.

Understanding that it wasnt the waitors fault I tipped him....but he handed it back as it wasn't 10% of the bill.

Rest of Italy is lovely but Rome is aweful.

agree with you on rome. absolute kip. beautiful areas on the outskirts. worse than rome would be naples. we were suppose to stay in it but left and stayed on the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I agree with you.

But despite that..I still want to return there. I'm a sucker for architecture :o

Re: Dubai, the buildings are impressive but there's just no sole to the place. Twenty years ago the place was a strip of sand and when their oil deposits start to dwindle it will be again.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

I wouldn't go back to any of the cities I've been too. There's too many more places in the world to see.

Travel while you can or else you'll be stuck until your potential children are adults and you are retired!

Had my kids when I was young so will do it the opposite way round!

I took my kids to Paris when they were both under 10. Just me and the two of them and we loved it. Well, they weren't too impressed with the museums but I was. Found the people I came across were lovely but I suppose I wasn't there for the nightlife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭JRant

For me it is Phnom Penh in Cambodia. The place was very unsettling and we couldn't leave it quick enough.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I spent 5 years going to school there, if it burned down tomorrow I wouldn't care. Hellhole.

+1 err you didn't go to Nathys did ya?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

lufties wrote: »
    Having been in a good few places around the world, I would have to say Budapest is a beautiful one with regard to history and architecture, but it is definately to most unfriendly place I've been, the people I encountered were rude and unhelpful consistantly, hence I will not be returning. Other than that I'd say stuttgart in germany(yawn), or varanassi in India, an interesting place but a nightmare to get around.

You hit the nail on the head about Budapest.Beautifull place but deffo the most unfriendly inhabitants I've ever encountered.Was there in 2007,even the staff in the tourist office had a coulden't be arsed attitude.A place I woulden't be rushing back to either would be Brussels.While its beautifull in parts theres an awfull lot of 60s and 70s eyesore developments in the city center. A lot of the people we encountered were rude and unhelpfull and the streets are full of gangs of tracksuit wearing scobes mostly of North African origin.

Edit:I forgot to mention Brussels is bloody expensive too as is Belgium in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I can't understand why people are mentioning Paris here. The place is bursting with charm and history.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Marsailles, dodgy kip.
    Phuket, kiddy fiddlers everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I can't understand why people are mentioning Paris here. The place is bursting with charm and history.

Not to everyone's taste.
    For example, I don't see why Rome could be mentioned but it is. Just a difference of opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Aachen in Germany would be the worst for me. Used to have to spend the odd Sunday in it for work years ago, you think places in Ireland are bleak on a Sunday?

Honorary mention for Maastricht as well, although I'm not sure it counts as a city.

I loved both places ,but maybe it helps that I speak German and understand Dutch .

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Auckland, gorgeous countryside, boring city. Sydney left me feeling meh, even during NYE celebrations,
    Washington DC has some great touristy attractions, Arlington etc, but I don't think I ever need see the city again.
    European cities, I kinda dont mind seeing twice, I haven't been to a city I would not return to, YET! Looking at some people's comments on this thread so far , the cities I have yet try.might disappoint me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Can't believe Paris is being mentioned so much and the posts thanked-I think it's a wonderful city and while I know it gets a bad rep for rudeness, I found the people there OK overall.

I'm going to say Valetta in Malta, in fact all of Malta except Gozo Island which is beautiful. While Valetta has a nice old city, modern Valetta is just full of badly made concrete monstrosities, the food is desperate, and it has absolutely nothing going for it.
    I've never actually been to the touristy parts of Paris, just places like Rungis market, but that was enough for me.

Just back from Malta last night and had completely the opposite experience, lovely old buildings, great food and incredibly friendly people.

Just goes to show, we are all different eh?:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

St. Petersburg: The main street is littered with stipclubs. There are 2 advertised on a map I got from the tourist information office. And by stripclubs, I mean brothels. I've never been anywhere so seedy.

Leeds: Awful, awful place.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Marsailles, dodgy kip.

There's a seaside village outside Marseille called Cassis. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

JRant wrote: »
    For me it is Phnom Penh in Cambodia. The place was very unsettling and we couldn't leave it quick enough.

OK its a bit dodgy ,but I still enjoyed the friendly locals ,and cheap food and drink .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Fantastic place, not so if you're a lady in all fairness.

The Moroccan's are very touchy-feely/lascivious towards the ladies...

I aggressively told more than a few to fook off away from my woman when we were there :mad:

I'd say if you did the same to their ladies you'd be lynched.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Dusseldorf was pretty disappointing but I was only there for a short period so probably not a sound basis to say I'd never return.

Visited a port-town called Kawthaung in south Burma. Would have no desire to go back there. Poverty-stricken, drunken military goon-controlled hovel.

I've spent time on the Black Sea coast in Bulgaria which is totally catered for tourists. Venture into the mountains though and you'll get a sense of the absolute poverty of the underclass. The gypsy villages are simply grim.

Others have mentioned Brussels as being meh. I'd be inclined to agree.

In Ireland, an honorable mention for Drogheda also. Especially unattractive and soulless in its own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I'm going to win this thread!
    Newcastle-what a complete fourth world dump and I've had the misfortune of being there twice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm going to win this thread!
    Newcastle-what a complete fourth world dump and I've had the misfortune of being there twice.
    Which one? There's about 200 of them in the world.:D Any I've been in have been lovely.

Marsailles, dodgy kip.

Marsailles was vibrant to me ,and I never saw a kiddy fiddler (at least in the open ) in Phuket ,as the Thai police come down hard on them .Try Cambodia or Vietnam for them with better luck .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

although I wasn't there for very long, I did not like the look of Naples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

jameshayes wrote: »
    marseille. Kip.

Seconded. Kip of a place. Not safe either.

Catania in Sicily. A mini Marseille. Sicily is beautiful and I would love to return there but I'd avoid Catania. Nothing to do. Nothing to see & I never felt comfortable there (too many eyes watching my camera & wallet).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Buffalo, NY. Completely soulless city and met mostly unfriendly people.

Busan, South Korea. Dirty, nothing to do and most of the hotels are actually "love motels".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Oops69 wrote: »
    Only 75 posts in and I'm curled up in a corner afraid to go to my local spar for a litre of milk in case I get pickpocketed , raped , choked or die of fumes and the shop assistant and other customers will be really rude assholes

A true global citizen who lives in all the cities mentioned. Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I've never actually been to the touristy parts of Paris, just places like Rungis market, but that was enough for me.

Just back from Malta last night and had completely the opposite experience, lovely old buildings, great food and incredibly friendly people.

Just goes to show, we are all different eh?:)

Indeed it does, Malta obviously gets plenty of repeat visitors , as does Paris so both hold an attraction for someone out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nedbroy

Bangkok = hell on earth

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

anto9 wrote: »
    Marsailles was vibrant to me ,and I never saw a kiddy fiddler (at least in the open ) in Phuket ,as the Thai police come down hard on them .Try Cambodia or Vietnam for them with better luck .
    Thanks for setting me straight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Prague is great to visit once but wouldn't return solely on the people there, incredible rude, no joke i didn't meet 1 nice person there

Advertisement