Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities you'd never return to

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Aachen in Germany would be the worst for me. Used to have to spend the odd Sunday in it for work years ago, you think places in Ireland are bleak on a Sunday?

Honorary mention for Maastricht as well, although I'm not sure it counts as a city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I wouldn't bother with Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta or Beijing again. I found KL awkward to get around and a bit boring. Also I got a bit too close to a rat in Starbucks. Jakarta I couldn't cross a street by myself, (actually make that most of Java) I was a nervous wreck trying to cross the road so it prevented my usual happy wanderings. Beijing was just too polluted and for a person travelling alone, it's not very friendly.
    I wouldn't go back to Bali either, fair enough I stayed in the worst part where it seemed full of expat weirdos that should have been in jail in their own country.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Fantastic place, not so if you're a lady in all fairness.

The Moroccan's are very touchy-feely/lascivious towards the ladies...

I aggressively told more than a few to fook off away from my woman when we were there :mad:

We were a group of girls travelling together. Had no issues in Fez / Tangier / Marrakech / Rabat. But Casablanca just didn't sit well with us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Las Vegas. Utterly pointless. You can feel your soul being sucked away. Never again.
    Dallas. There is something so completely charmless about this town and its weird cos it should be lovely.
    Little rock Arkansas. It's limerick. But in America. Nuff said.
    Miami. Plastic hellhole full of plastic people. Though little Cuba was cool.
    Birmingham. Truly the biggest sh!thole in Britain.. Oh wait
    Manchester. Never ever ever again. Ever.
    Rotterdam. Sad about this town. It was totally levelled in WWII and when rebuilt, it's just got no soul or center. It's like a deserted movie set of skyscrapers. Really strange.
    Limerick. You know why.
    Cork. Double dose of what's wrong with limerick.
    Sligo. The worst town in Ireland?

Because of one persons view?
    Anyone i spoke to speaks highly of Prague.
    I was only there for one day so looking forward to returning during the summer.
    Interestingly i am also going to budapest although I've been there before also! Didn't notice the miserable people mentioned above!

I love Prague! Been there twice and maybe again this summer. I liked Budapest too but not as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Brussels and Toronto both kips with nothing going for them

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Bassfish wrote: »
    Dubai, completely soleless and nothing but ostentatious wealth to look at and religious fundamentalsm bubbling under the surface.

I agree with you.

But despite that..I still want to return there. I'm a sucker for architecture :o

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Pawpad666

Kolkata.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Here is my list:

Athens - I was amazed at how ugly and boring the city is.. Greece generally I wouldn't go back to. Overpriced and baron. The beaches are nice though.

Brussels - Belgium in general actually, lived there for a year and the people are so bloody rude to English speakers. And the system they have to buy cigarettes is just ridiculous.

Paris - Nothing charming about the place at all IMO

Bratislava - Just seems dead all the time.

Riga - People are extremely rude (especially the men who think foreign men are there to take their women)

Lviv - So many thieves trying to get your stuff, we were all robbed the first day there (broke into the hotel room)

Barbados - Not a city but a country I wouldn't go back to. We were there last year for our honeymoon. The amount of stares we got as a white couple, people trying to sell you drugs at every street or beach you go to. Beautiful country though. Extremely expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

Aachen in Germany would be the worst for me. Used to have to spend the odd Sunday in it for work years ago, you think places in Ireland are bleak on a Sunday?

Honorary mention for Maastricht as well, although I'm not sure it counts as a city.

I loved Maastricht ive gone back 4 times the old part is beautiful, lots of great bars around the squares, and the best food ive had in Holland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Hollywood was just rotten

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

Probably wouldn't bother returning to Cardiff or Singapore. Also, despite lovely people (and ice cream), there was not really much to do or see in Damascus a few years ago - sadly even less now I'd bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

david75 wrote: »
    Las Vegas. Utterly pointless. You can feel your soul being sucked away. Never again.
    Dallas. There is something so completely charmless about this town and its weird cos it should be lovely.
    Rotterdam. Sad about this town. It was totally levelled in WWII and when rebuilt, it's just got no soul or center. It's like a deserted movie set of skyscrapers. Really strange.
    Limerick. You know why.

Any places you DO like?!

lufties wrote: »
    I lived there for a while, its actually ok in fairness..If you think KL is smelly try Hong Kong.

I liked Hong Kong. I didn't feel choked by pollution, the harbour is lovely and you can get out of the city really quickly and feel like you are in a seaside town. Those horrible drains in KL really stank.

david75 wrote: »
    Limerick. You know why.

Ever been to Ballaghaderreen in Co.Roscommon? Lived there in my teens... suicide would be more fun.
    Thank my stars my parents moved to Galway, different world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

deseil wrote: »
    I loved Maastricht ive gone back 4 times the old part is beautiful, lots of great bars around the squares, and the best food ive had in Holland.
    Maybe I'll give it another go so, all I can remember of it is just being one huge quarry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Paris.

Dirty kip.

Paris. I wasn't at all impressed. Granted it was a rugby trip and we saw no sights and drank a lot.
    faceman wrote: »
    Paris and Venice. Unless you speak French Paris feels unfriendly. I thought Venice was an overpriced kip.

Can't believe Paris is being mentioned so much and the posts thanked-I think it's a wonderful city and while I know it gets a bad rep for rudeness, I found the people there OK overall.

I'm going to say Valetta in Malta, in fact all of Malta except Gozo Island which is beautiful. While Valetta has a nice old city, modern Valetta is just full of badly made concrete monstrosities, the food is desperate, and it has absolutely nothing going for it.

Any places you DO like?!

You reminded me.

LA. totally soulless ugly place.

Loved San Francisco. San Diego. Chicago. New York. London(has its problems but I love it). Prague. Amsterdam. Madrid. Lincoln, Lawrence, council bluffs and Omaha,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Some brilliant cities being mentioned here. I wouldn't go discounting a whole city just because I had a bad weekend. Describing millions as unfriendly after a two day jaunt.....

There isn't anywhere I wouldn't return to though there would be a few of the more dangerous ones I would hope have improved if I was to go back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Thought Budapest was a super friendly city. Was there alone.

The opposite case was Rome. Most rude people ever. Pushing my mother by wheelchair on the narrow footpaths oncoming pedestrians would stand for a second as if waiting for us to dismount the kerb around them.

When we got a poorly served dish at a restaurant the manager called us liars.

Understanding that it wasnt the waitors fault I tipped him....but he handed it back as it wasn't 10% of the bill.

Rest of Italy is lovely but Rome is aweful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

anncoates wrote: »
    Drunshambo.

You witnessed the massacre I take it? Sorry to hear. :( Its a place in healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭fyfe79

bear1 wrote: »
    Barbados - Not a city but a country I wouldn't go back to. We were there last year for our honeymoon. The amount of stares we got as a white couple, people trying to sell you drugs at every street or beach you go to. Beautiful country though. Extremely expensive.

Agreed. Was there on my honeymoon in 2010. Once you leave the hotel compound, you start to realise your whiteness very quickly!
    Although, we spent a day in Kingston, Jamaica and it was worse. A bad air of danger in that place - even the people employed by their tourist board weren't friendly.
    The Cayman Islands though was a different story - it's a lovely place, very clean, and it has full employment allegedly which means there's nobody bothering you on the streets. Very expensive though, which is to be expected I guess.
    david75 wrote:

Agreed. Miami sucked. Overpriced and crazy.

I haven't had a bad experience in any city I have visited. I found Guatemala City a little unnerving though. Luckily wasn't there for long.

Im jealous of all you lot and the places you have been to!

Forgot to add Helsinki to my list.
    Just plain boring.

Im jealous of all you lot and the places you have been to!
    Travel while you can or else you'll be stuck until your potential children are adults and you are retired!

Oslo was another one. Totally boring.

Copenhagen I'd move to in a heart beat. Great city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Paris and Barcelona, though I'd like to try again now there are things like tripadvisor, travel forums, GPS and translate apps on phones instead of depending on a lonely planet guidebook.

The internet is a game changer when it comes to enhancing travelling experiences.

It's also raised the game of tourism, as good and bad experiences are spread easier and not dependent on word of mouth between friends

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭furiousox

Moscow.
    Was there for the CL final in 2008.
    Apart from the football, not a lot going for it.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

bear1 wrote: »
    Ever been to Ballaghaderreen in Co.Roscommon? Lived there in my teens... suicide would be more fun.
    Thank my stars my parents moved to Galway, different world.

I spent 5 years going to school there, if it burned down tomorrow I wouldn't care. Hellhole.

Advertisement