Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should Garda bikes be allowed do pursuits

Options
  • 18-04-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭

I drove past the motorbike garda who was rammed this morning, and it gave me a chill to see him lying there..
    So I was wondering should bikes be taken off dangerous pursuits,and just on traffic duty, I mean it's bad being rammed while in a car or van but on a bike ?
    I'm not doubting the training , abilities or willingness of motorbike officers but a bike is risky enough without some looper trying to smack you off it at speed...
    (glad to hear he's comfortable in hospital and hope he makes a full and speedy recovery)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Firstly I do hope the injuries aren't as serious as have been reported and that he recovers fully, maybe to resume his job at some point.

Bikes should not be involved directly in pursuits. However, my understanding is that this was the case, and that in the moments prior to being struck, he was stopping traffic from getting in the way. I may be mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

That member risk his life to protect the public, they need support for the pursuit he already rammed cc patrol van in city centre. Goes down to resource of mules on duty & cars available

Well done to all everyone involved!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

donvito99 wrote: »
    Firstly I do hope the injuries aren't as serious as have been reported and that he recovers fully, maybe to resume his job at some point.

Bikes should not be involved directly in pursuits. However, my understanding is that this was the case, and that in the moments prior to being struck, he was stopping traffic from getting in the way. I may be mistaken.

My understanding as well. Wasn't directly involved in the chase.

I wish him a speedy recovery.

And I won't say what I wish on the cowards that took him out :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Markcheese wrote: »
    So I was wondering should bikes be taken off dangerous pursuits,and just on traffic duty

Bikes are not on pursuits, dangerous or otherwise. The rider was "just on traffic duty".

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Muas Tenek

bravestar wrote: »
    Bikes are not on pursuits, dangerous or otherwise. The rider was "just on traffic duty".
    Nothing to add - guy goes out on regular duty, saves lives, ends in hospital.

Best wishes to you and your family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Muas Tenek wrote: »
    Nothing to add - guy goes out on regular duty, saves lives, ends in hospital.

Best wishes to you and your family.

He had put he put his life on the line to protect members of the public.

Best wishes to Garda Michael Twomey member of cork city traffic corp.

Advertisement