Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the annual Good Friday thread?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It certainly hits an important source of matchday revenue for Bohs when we play at home on good Friday. Usually would have 3 bars doing decent to excellent (depending on opposition) business before, during and after the match. Certainly money we could do without missing.

I'm sure it's the same for other LOI clubs.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

That's the point. It's the same mouth breathers complaining about the price of drink in pubs who are now giving out about not being able to visit these places. They are drunk on outrage.
    So you are calling people who want a religiously motivated nanny state law overturned "mouth breathers".
    When you resort to name calling, it usually shows you are losing the argument

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I think, in all interests of fairness, that churches should be banned from opening on a random Sunday in June.

They are banned from my life every week of the year . Funerals , weddings and that's the only reason I'm going to church . More people should get a civil marriage . It takes 15 mins. and it's done .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It's a normal day of work for many people - and not just people whose job entails working holidays, anti-social hours etc.

Yeah it is a normal day for some people but not for the vast majority of people working & living in Ireland.

I can give you an example of a Dublin bus route, the 7b to shankill, which ran past my house during Good Friday last year. On any normal working day there will be plenty of buses passing full of passengers as it is a peak service.

On the evenings of Good Friday however, three out of the four buses carry nothing but fresh air bar one or two passengers as most buses are completely empty as they go past my house. I would say it is probably the same for every other bus route even though they work normal hours on that day.

The rail and luas services on that day could provide the same too. We could have seen places in the years gone by and now like Heuston and Connolly operate like a ghost town on a day like Good Friday. It could actually happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

its a day where an industry can't ply its trade for no reason while others can, some publicans and restaurant owners are and have been trying to get it overturned, infact it doesn't have to be overturned, all that needs to happen is the relevant minister to tell the guards to turn a blind eye, the law doesn't have to be overturned, just not enforced, its probably whats happening all ready anyway.

Now we're dipping toes into anarchy. The solution to laws you don't like is to change them, not just ignore them.

Are bank holidays just as reprehensible? Many businesses are supposed to give the day off to their employees while others (such as most shops and restaurants) stay open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Pubs miss out but the your local chipper will be run off their feet.

Cod and chips please!

What an odd law.

Not as bad as the hilarious 10PM limit :pac:

What a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

C14N wrote: »
    The solution to laws you don't like is to change them, not just ignore them.

Are you Irish at all at all?

The solution to laws you don't like is to change them
    All we need is a politician with the cojones to bring up the motion in the dail.
    Maybe they just feel it's too much of a sacred cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Jamsiek wrote: »
    All we need is a politician with the cojones to bring up the motion in the dail.

That's another religion entirely :D

The antics in Kerry County Council show, I think, that Irish politicians love nothing more than displaying their overt religiousity at election time.

Bambi wrote: »
    Are you Irish at all at all?

Yes.

I really just think not enough people care that much about it either way. I can't imagine it being that big a controversy if it was overturned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I remember when the butchers didn't even open on Good Friday.
    Hopefully in time the pubs will follow suit. From what I gather it wouldn't be an enormously difficult process for the Minister for Justice to follow.
    I can live without drink on a Friday, I wont be stockpiling on Thursday. There's plenty of weekends throughout the year I don't drink at all.
    Its not having the choice that irks me a bit.
    If Christians want to make that sacrifice fair enough but those of us who are not Christian we shouldn't have to be forced to comply.

I really just think not enough people care that much about it either way.
    I just think that it casts a poor image, particular to visitors to the country, that Ireland still has laws like this in 2014.
    I can't imagine it being that big a controversy if it was overturned.
    I would hope so but there still seems to be a very vocal minority of religious zealots in Ireland opposed to any kind of progress.

I just think that it casts a poor image, particular to visitors to the country, that Ireland still has laws like this in 2014.

I would hope so but there still seems to be a very vocal minority of religious zealots in Ireland opposed to any kind of progress.

I don't think even the visitors really care that much, not that I expect we even get that many for Easter. I really doubt many tourists are coming in and then sneering at us for having a silly religious law. It's a bit of a strange one alright, even from a religious context. The sale of meat and condoms isn't banned, it's sort of an anomaly that alcohol is. Really we'd probably have an easy time overturning it if it wasn't for the fact that everybody immediately stops caring on Saturday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It's a silly law that should be repealed. It's completely out of touch with a modern world. I don't drink in pubs often so it doesn't really affect me as such. What a backward little island we must seem to any tourists who find that they can't have a drink on that day because of some outdated Catholic belief.

There must be more booze consumed on that day than almost any other in the year, so like most Catholic nonsense it's just hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

lads...... roll with the holy jazz...

Just get yer beers in tomorrow to wash down the sausage sambo that you have at 11am on Friday..... when your not in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Sadderday wrote: »

Just get yer beers in tomorrow to wash down the sausage sambo that you have at 11am on Friday..... when your not in work.

I'm in the thick of it in work.
    Pharma never rest :(

Sadderday wrote: »

I'll be in Portland Oregon, craft beer capital of the world, on Good Friday so I'll be enjoying the forbidden fruit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

There must be more booze consumed on that day than almost any other in the year, so like most Catholic nonsense it's just hypocrisy.

You are thinking of Arthur's day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

I'll be in Portland Oregon, craft beer capital of the world, on Good Friday so I'll be enjoying the forbidden fruit :D

I spent a good friday in Portland Ore last year, suppin a beer with a view of mount hood.

jealous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Riskymove wrote: »
    You are thinking of Arthur's day
    I thought Arthur's day was just a marketing ploy that most adults ignore:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Why are other anti-good friday threads being closed? Is there a law saying "there shall only be one thread".

At least we are allowed one more thread than the North Koreans, I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

My view on Good Friday is that it's stupid to close the pubs but because almost everywhere I've worked has also given the day off work and I'd rather get the day off and have the pubs closed than have the pubs open and have to work too.

matrim wrote: »
    My view on Good Friday is that it's stupid to close the pubs but because almost everywhere I've worked has also given the day off work and I'd rather get the day off and have the pubs closed than have the pubs open and have to work too.
    What about having the pubs open AND the day off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Ya cant be opening the pubs on the 2000th (or therabouts) anniversary of yer mans death. How bloody dare ya! Have ya no respect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

What if you work in a pub? what are the options then? O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

That would be my preferred option, but if they changed the law to have pubs open I can see other companies changing their policy on it too. It's never been official policy in anywhere I've worked, just an extra little perk that you get and it's something that's easily changed.

In saying that a few years ago I did send an email to a few TDs about it but got either no response or the usual it's just 1 day a year bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

My view on Good Friday is that it is a historical remembrance of the sacrifice made by a man who, through his teachings and legacy, promoted the idea that people should, even if they shot your baby, treat them as they would treat yourself.

I try to imagine a place where I could offer myself if someone shot my baby: I can't. My conclusion is I am weak.

This is the question that the religion of Christianity sets.

For two thousand years it has been the basis for society.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

catallus wrote: »
    For two thousand years it has been the basis for society.

Plenty of societies got on just fine without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Plenty of societies got on just fine without it.

Yes. They did. And the point is is that they were not Christian.

We have to know what we're talking about here.

• Advertisement

What if you work in a pub? what are the options then? O_o

I can't see a reason why it should be any different to any other day.
    If you want to take the day off, you should be able to apply for it, same as what happens all over the world.

Advertisement