Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the annual Good Friday thread?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I could never figure out which was was more pathetic.

The fact that the fcuking church still dictates what goes on in this country or people not being able to survive one day without alcohol.
    the church still dictateing what goes on in ireland of course, believing the pubs should be able to open on good friday or whenever they see fit doesn't make one a raving alcoholic or someone who can't survive without drink, saturday is my drinking day whenever i do drink (which isn't much now) but to me, apart from a day off for the few lucky bar staff that get it the good friday closing serves no purpose, all it proves is restrictions just cause people to drink more to rebel against them, pathetic? maybe, but it is what it is

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Site Banned Posts: 11 Clifford Byron

Could we not just agree for one year to not bother with this thread?
    Want a drink? Fine, head up to the north. But don't post about it on Boards...

We could call it 'the Belfast agreement', or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Martina82 wrote: »
    I find extremely depressing to see people lining up to buy drink on Holy Thursday.

Agreed. I've already bought mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

You'd miss it if it was gone though. It means people are forced to think outside the box and organise different things for the night. Lots of gigs etc on this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

the church still dictateing what goes on in ireland of course, believing the pubs should be able to open on good friday or whenever they see fit doesn't make one a raving alcoholic or someone who can't survive without drink, saturday is my drinking day whenever i do drink (which isn't much now) but to me, apart from a day off for the few lucky bar staff that get it the good friday closing serves no purpose, all it proves is restrictions just cause people to drink more to rebel against them, pathetic? maybe, but it is what it is

is the church really still advocating this? in a parliament with plenty of publicans, how come this hasn't been turned over? there's a lot more social issues which the church have a more vocal stance on which they are losing.
    i can't remember the last time hearing the Good Friday pubs closing issue being raised in the Dáil. maybe if people contacted their local TD it might be brought up. they don't seem too bothered about it at the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

iDave wrote: »
    So is fish really meat?
    Barnacle Geese or Bombay Duck ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Oh God, I really need a drink, haven't had one since the weekend before Lent:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Lets get the ball rolling on this one, in short there are two strands to the Good Friday pubs are closed threads.

1. The pubs are closed for one day, you can survive with out them

2. I want the pubs open and not dictated to by people who believe in sky fairies

(standard link to add value to thread)

tl;dr

1. Pub closed, Good Friday
    2. WTF its 2014, I want drink

oh, discuss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Chorcai wrote: »
    Lets get the ball rolling on this one, in short there are two strands to the Good Friday pubs are closed threads.

2. I want the pubs open and not dictated to by people who believe in sky fairies

tl;dr

oh, discuss...

Go to the shop early on Thursday because the crowds queuing up to get the gargle in will be savage so they will, Buying it like it's not being made anymore:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

This country goes barmy for the drink. Quite sickening. Can ye not survive one day dry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

*Forgetting that Good Friday was upon him, he made his journey to Lidl to buy 400 cans of Gulackpilsen to see him through the day*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

tl;dr

oh, discuss...

Thanks for the reminder to fill up my car on Thursday with booze...you know..just incase like

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You could not get a drink in a pub on Paddys Day until they changed the law in 1960

Didn't we have this very same thread last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

i'm sure there are alot of pubs (winkWink) opened on Good Friday.
    If you want one, you will find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

tl;dr

oh, discuss...

It's gas, pubs are closing down daily because of a lack of customers and on one of the two days a year they're closed everyone wants to go... Just get a few cans and stay at home for one day, shur ye'll be grand.

Indeed we did.

Merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Good Friday brings out the alcoholics in some people, they NEED their drink.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

I didn't see it :o

• Advertisement

I didn't see it :o

That'll be the drink :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

This country goes barmy for the drink. Quite sickening. Can ye not survive one day dry?

Yes. Yesterday was a dry day, as was Sunday. Today will probably be one also. Friday however I will be attending a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Ranchu wrote: »
    You'd miss it if it was gone though.
    I wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

That's not the point, it's opposition to the nanny state laws.
    It's also a long weekend, why not have a drink?
    If you're religious, then don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The heart longs what the heart is legally unable to purchase for 24 hours, with the exception of trains and hotels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Atheist Capitalists something something!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

yeah, because people want to not be dictated to by people who believe in an invisible man they must be a bunch of raging alcoholics, grow up

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

yeah, because people want to not be dictated to by people who believe in an invisible man they must be a bunch of raging alcoholics, grow up

Maybe you're the one who should grow up if you insist on calling religious faith "believing in an invisible man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

RobertKK wrote: »
    Good Friday brings out the alcoholics in some people, they NEED their drink.

And they need it from a bar, not their own fridge!

This is about the only quirky law I can think of that we have that's essentially harmless. I like it for that alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

C14N wrote: »
    And they need it from a bar, not their own fridge!

This is about the only quirky law I can think of that we have that's essentially harmless. I like it for that alone.

Can't argue with a day off work.

Advertisement