Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LONG WAITS IN EMERGENCY DEPARTMENTS!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ended up in GUH (or whatever you want to call it) earlier. Was seen almost instantly. TBH I spent more time giving information to the secretary than i did waiting for triage. All patched up and good to go within 2 hours. Best experience yet.

Previous experiences not in GUH... Not quite to the same standard. The time previous I actually got tired of waiting and left, was going to be waiting 8-12 hours for a wrist x-ray, due to a big car crash coming in which was understandable. Time before that was left waiting for a long enough time with a fractured skull & jaw which was horrendously painful. I'd elaborate more on what a "long time" is but it's over 10 yrs ago, I can't remember.

I reckon if people actually had some idea how long it might take then it wouldn't be as bad. It's a coin toss really, but I certainly don't blame the doctors for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

wonder if this thread has jinxed me..fell on saturday and broke my wrist,,, first broken bone in nearly 71 years.

was early next morning before i sought help as i felt so bad re bothering anyone and am alone so it meant an ambulance

called a and e and they said it was quiet and to call an ambulane; am 50 miles away but the ambulance comes from nearer and theywere kind re my apologetic call
    a
    almost no waiting and orthopedic man soon followed and no waiting except for theatre later and by then on a ward

wrist pinned etc.
    came home fast as a terrible migraine and they were very bad at handling that.

the real indication of need was that i was in a ward with men. they said it was bed shortage but for a 70 yr old spinster it was not acceptable so kept the cutrtains closed and refused to go to the bathroom in my gown. that is what commodes are for!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BHSFINALY

10 Ways to help you survive A+E (Theme's taken from different posters)

So if you ever find yourself in A+E try member these simple yet effective tips on how to best deal with your stay!

1) MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN THE RIGHT PLACE

A+E have recently changed their name to Emergency Departments or even Medicine Departments, so if you present with an injury make sure you're in the right place!

2) DON'T BE A DRAMA QUEEN

A+E's are overcrowded as it is, save yourself and the hospital staff the hassle and head to your GP first if it's not too serious.

4) SUITABLE CLOTHES

Small overcrowded rooms, unbearable plastic chairs and no air-con. Comfortable clothes are a must !

5) KICK UP A FUSS

We all hate people who complain. However in A+E they'll be so happy to get rid of you it may speed up your treatment.

6) BRING A FRIEND

Having a friend stay with you during your wait will make the experience less painful. A problem shared is a problem halved.

7) TRY GET SOME FOOD

Good food, if any, is near impossible to find in a hospital. Getting a friend to bring some in is an absolute god send.

8) FIND SOMETHING TO PASS THE BOREDOM

Waits in excess of 24 hours have been reported. Get your hands on anything to help pass the time whether it be a phone, a source of music, a friend or a book,

9) BE VIGILANT

A+E's can be scary, especially during the early hours with alcohol related issues. Things can get out of hand with drunken idiots causing havoc. Be aware!

10) REQUEST PAINKILLERS

Request pain killers if you're in pain. The staff will be more than happy to provide it as long as you let them know.

BHSFINALY wrote: »
    10 Ways to help you survive A+E (Theme's taken from different posters)

So if you ever find yourself in A+E try member these simple yet effective tips on how to best deal with your stay!

1) MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN THE RIGHT PLACE

A+E have recently changed their name to Emergency Departments or even Medicine Departments, so if you present with an injury make sure you're in the right place!

2) DON'T BE A DRAMA QUEEN

A+E's are overcrowded as it is, save yourself and the hospital staff the hassle and head to your GP first if it's not too serious.

3) FAKE A HEAD INJURY

Head injuries are always treated with priority, so if you're reporting with an insignificant injury, throw in head trauma while you're at it.

4) SUITABLE CLOTHES

Small overcrowded rooms, unbearable plastic chairs and no air-con. Comfortable clothes are a must !

5) KICK UP A FUSS

We all hate people who complain. However in A+E they'll be so happy to get rid of you it may speed up your treatment.

6) BRING A FRIEND

Having a friend stay with you during your wait will make the experience less painful. A problem shared is a problem halved.

7) TRY GET SOME FOOD

Good food, if any, is near impossible to find in a hospital. Getting a friend to bring some in is an absolute god send.

8) FIND SOMETHING TO PASS THE BOREDOM

Waits in excess of 24 hours have been reported. Get your hands on anything to help pass the time whether it be a phone, a source of music, a friend or a book,

9) BE VIGILANT

A+E's can be scary, especially during the early hours with alcohol related issues. Things can get out of hand with drunken idiots causing havoc. Be aware!

10) REQUEST PAINKILLERS

Request pain killers if you're in pain. The staff will be more than happy to provide it as long as you let them know.
    oo

gee what a terrible post....bears no resemblance to what i have seen....would repel me from seeking help if i thought this were ture.... real drama queen stuff nb if you are well enough to eat etc maybe should be seeing yuor gp and not cluttrring up a busy dept....food fussers too. wish i could have eaten as the food was far better than anything i can afford on my pension and just now living on toast as i cannot cook in plaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Graces7 wrote: »
    oo

.... real drama queen stuff nb if you are well enough to eat etc maybe should be seeing yuor gp and not cluttrring up a busy dept....

My son broke his ankle, he could eat, just couldnt walk, gp cant take xrays,, d8nt think they have facilities for cast making either...

• Advertisement

May not be anything that you have experienced but clearly from these users below amongst many more who posted in the thread, it is somewhat representative!

It may not be anything near your experiences but it clearly is to others! 1000's of people head to A+E each year, you're bound to get differing experiences.
    I had a very similar experience in A+E, I was in for something fairly innocuous but at the same time I needed treatment. It was my first time and I had no idea what to expect but I presumed I wouldn't be there for long!

I was waiting a substantial amount of time, maybe 5-6 hours as I kept being pushed down the list due to more serious cases.

The only thing I could say is if I had to go again and had time to gather some things to bring with me I would most definitely bring an I-pod or a book or just something to keep myself occupied. the boredom was by far the worst part!

I most definitely believe the experience would have been much less uncomfortable had I had something to keep myself occupied.
    Gatling wrote: »
    3 years ago now badly dislocated shoulder tallaght A&E
    19½ wait to be seen and treated by a Dr.
    Mean while people were turning up with the holiday baggage asking to be seen by doctors as they had flights to catch and needed sick notes for work,

How would I cope if I had to do it again ,
    For one I wouldn't be so nice about it ,I'll be demanding I been seen till I am seen and treated ,

Don't know what was worse the boredom ,
    The hunger didn't bring my wallet and and my phone died after a few hours ,
    Or the stupid amount of searing pain I was in
    Sitric wrote: »
    I would second everything in the post above (I have worked in an A&E). The facilities and environment are generally substandard, they are understaffed and overcrowded. The staff rarely get breaks and regularly stay after their shift has finished to make sure people get treated appropriately. If you or a relative have ever had to wait for hours (or days) you should write to your TDs and local representatives and complain.

Apologies if a bit off topic
    porsche959 wrote: »
    In my personal experience, present with a head injury - however minor - and you'll be seen without delay.
    IrishGal24 wrote: »
    During my time in A&E I definitely find that whatever makes your stay more comfortable is beneficial (comfy warm clothes, a cushion, fluffy blanket etc). As previously mentioned, company, sources of entertainment (magazine, phone) is great to help pass the time. Also if you can get someone to bring food can be major help ! :)
    In answer to your question, what can be done differently, he could have gone to his GP first and they may have been able to put in the stitches.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

3) FAKE A HEAD INJURY

Head injuries are always treated with priority, so if you're reporting with an insignificant injury, throw in head trauma while you're at it.

It has already been pointed out in this thread, but this is incredibly irresponsible advice.

You're going to delay treatment/investigation of your actual presenting complaint and waste healthcare professionals' time investigating a fictitious ailment. Most importantly you could cause undue delays to other people presenting with more serious issues. If you're happy to potentially endanger other patients to shorten your waiting time, then that says a lot about you as a person.

penguin88 wrote: »
    It has already been pointed out in this thread, but this is incredibly irresponsible advice.

You're going to delay treatment/investigation of your actual presenting complaint and waste healthcare professionals' time investigating a fictitious ailment. Most importantly you could cause undue delays to other people presenting with more serious issues. If you're happy to potentially endanger other patients to shorten your waiting time, then that says a lot about you as a person.

Well I wouldn't do it personally.. But people do obviously lie about their injuries to get seen to quicker..

I'm just reposting what others said

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Well I wouldn't do it personally.. But people do obviously lie about their injuries to get seen to quicker..

I'm just reposting what others said

No you are not reposting what other say, you have put your own spin on things and you were the first person to advise to fake head trauma. The poster who originally mentioned head injury simply commented on the waiting time for head injury in the context of delays:
    porsche959 wrote: »
    In my personal experience, present with a head injury - however minor - and you'll be seen without delay.
    Any real emergency will be seen asap to be fair.

As I said, your advice to fake a head injury (and it is your advice) is seriously irresponsible and I think you should edit this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I think this thread has gone way too far for this forum. Fake a head injury? Jesus that's disgraceful, and despite possibly depriving someone who is more needing of quicker attention it potentially wastes resources and could end up with you getting a nice dose of radiation from an unnecessary CT brain.

• Advertisement

I think this thread has gone way too far for this forum. Fake a head injury? Jesus that's disgraceful, and despite possibly depriving someone who is more needing of quicker attention it potentially wastes resources and could end up with you getting a nice dose of radiation from an unnecessary CT brain.

No to be fair it was slightly taken out of context.. What was meant to be said as don't underestimate your own injury because you'll be pushed down the list and therefore waiting longer

Apologies all around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

If you can properly fake a low gcs that doesn't respond to a good sternal rub or my pen being pushed down upon the nailbed of your finger with all my strength, then you deserve to go to the top of the head injury queue.

If not, back in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Graces7 wrote: »
    the real indication of need was that i was in a ward with men. they said it was bed shortage but for a 70 yr old spinster it was not acceptable so kept the cutrtains closed and refused to go to the bathroom in my gown. that is what commodes are for!

While it's understandable that being in a mixed room on a ward is not ideal, commodes are not for that situation. There's always extra hospital gowns available that can be worn as dressing gowns.

It's good for people to be up and moving around (e.g. in and out to the toilets) if they're able for it, using the toilets and washing your hands is more hygienic and fetching, emptying and cleaning the commode is extra work for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

It is terrible how we treat patients in this country, interesting the new UHI will not be applied to emergency departments ( block grants instead) I think this is a mistake as there will be no incentive to treat patients any faster .

The HSE now wants to close 2 of the departments in Dublin as they believe we have too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

Traumadoc wrote: »
    It is terrible how we treat patients in this country, interesting the new UHI will not be applied to emergency departments ( block grants instead) I think this is a mistake as there will be no incentive to treat patients any faster .

The HSE now wants to close 2 of the departments in Dublin as they believe we have too many.

I don't think there should be an incentive to treat patients faster unless staff and resources are improved (not only in A&E but Radiology, laboratory services and if course all the referral specialities) telling A&E staff to work faster is going to lead to mistakes and burdening of other services. Indeed when I worked in A&E I was told by a reg who wanted to clear the load as quickly as possible that 'our job' was not to wrap the parcel but to package as quickly as possible and pass them on ie. referring on as many patients as possible clears your 'load' - I did not like this at all.
    We are no where even close to being in a position to offer UHC in a one tiered system with the way health care services are structured currently- it will take decades at the pace of Change Ireland normally functions at.

cuckoo wrote: »
    While it's understandable that being in a mixed room on a ward is not ideal, commodes are not for that situation. There's always extra hospital gowns available that can be worn as dressing gowns.

It's good for people to be up and moving around (e.g. in and out to the toilets) if they're able for it, using the toilets and washing your hands is more hygienic and fetching, emptying and cleaning the commode is extra work for staff.

not acceptable. there is no way i will walk around in a ward less than fully dressed with men around. it is part of my religious observance and was deeply distressing. youtr post is insensitive and against the patients charter.

kept the curtains closed all the time and thankfully the staff were understanding, far more so thn you
    brutalising patients in thisway - and it was- is not good medecine

if you you tried this with a muslim....

certainly one way to clear beds as i did not stay as long as they wanted me too andwere that to happen again i wouldsay no and that will be on my notes now.

Advertisement