Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive Teaching Experiences

Options
  • 03-04-2014 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I'm currently coming to the end of my HDip and am feeling very discouraged. It's extremely stressful and there is so much negativity about the job these days. It's making me consider going into another area.

Would anyone like to share their positive experiences of teaching? What made you want to become a teacher? What makes it worthwhile? Does anyone still enjoy it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 poolsandles

I think the lack of responses says it all really. The reason there is so much negativity around teaching at present is because it is justified and yes, it is as bad as teachers are saying.

I love teaching, but it's not the job it once was. I would advise you to go abroad if you can. Good luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I loved my first ten years teaching. It eventually got to the stage I retired early. The nonsense just wasn't worth it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭newfrontier

there are very rewarding moments ....mostly from students who appreciate your time and effort.But the level of extra crap we are being asked to do is growing and tipping the scales the wrong way ...and there is also the summer:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

It is tough and getting tougher all the time
    But you asked for positives
    I've met 2 students that I feel I made a positive impact on during their school days. Both would be in trouble every class every day but for some reason I clicked with them and was able to get on with them. Like to think for those 40mins a day, they enjoyed school. Often think of one of them in particular and hope life has worked ok for him
    It's a great feeling when someone scores well for themselves in external exams. I've had the students getting their A1's at higher level but often meet a girl around town that I had for leaving cert. poor thing hadn't a word of English in school, was very quite and on the verge of leaving school after the pres. We got her through 5subjects and she passed mine (ordinary level) and she still thanks me even now several years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Studentblogger

I think the job is idealised too much (I'm not aiming this at the OP'er). Before I went into it, I remember talking to a teacher from my old school and he was retiring. He said two things to me and I haven't forgot them to this day.

1. If it is what you want to do, then go and bloody do it (emphatically) - you will love it.

2. It is not the job it once was and it will not be that job in the future. The type of person required years ago to be a teacher is not the type of person that is needed now.

I thought it was crap initially but now I see what he means. The role of a teacher has changed immensely in a single generation and will continue to do so. It's becoming increasingly professionalised (amongst a litany of other things).

I want to avoid a philosophical debate over what teaching is and what teaching isn't and what the role of a teacher is etc.

The way I see it; you're either a teacher or you're not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

I'm not a teacher, but a parent. I can honestly say that my daughter's teachers have been extraordinary. How they manage to get her to sit still for more than 2 seconds has me in awe for a start. She has had nothing but glowing reports from her teachers. Likewise, she has a respect for them beyond any other person in her life. The notion that you might 'tell her teacher' appals her lol. All of her teachers so far have been relatively young female teachers. She is excelling in school, in no small way, as a result of the excellent work her teachers have done with her.
    They have managed to give her a love for Maths and Irish and History. This is not something I could have passed on to her.

Do her teachers know the appreciation I have for them though? No. Probably not. I put a lot of thought into gifts for them at Christmas and at the end of the year, but no, I have never told them. I don't want to be seen as trying to influence them by licking their asses. But on a daily basis I thank God for the positive experiences and education they are passing on to my daughter.

Maybe as a parent, I should thank teachers a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Studentblogger

Don't ever underestimate or understate your importance in your child's education. I can tell you now, supportive parents make this job that little bit easier. It's not about little gifts or praise for me (although I respect your sentiments), it's about being available to meet and talk and listen when we meet you!

Don't ever underestimate or understate your importance in your child's education. I can tell you now, supportive parents make this job that little bit easier. It's not about little gifts or praise for me (although I respect your sentiments), it's about being available to meet and talk and listen when we meet you!

Yes, I suppose there are different types of parents to deal with. I very much support them in their role, but I acknowledge that some parents may not. As a teacher, don't underestimate the positive impact you may be having on a child, if not on their parents!

It's a job I would not take on for any money. I would quite probably end up in a psychiatric hospital after a month. It does take a certain type of individual. I just hope you know that you are quietly appreciated by me anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

Thank you, sopretty, for what you've said. I'm at the stage where I feel I'm achieving nothing in particular, that I'm easily replaceable and have no particular influence on any student. That makes it hard to be motivated. I figure your child is in primary where the children think teacher is 'god'. In secondary they definitely don't!

As for showing appreciation, gifts are nice but it means so much more to me to have a card with some real words on it - not 'thanks for all you do' but something specific to the student or the situation e.g. what you've said above about giving her a love for Maths and Irish and History. It gives you fuel to carry on, if you know what I mean.

Pwpane wrote: »
    Thank you, sopretty, for what you've said. I'm at the stage where I feel I'm achieving nothing in particular, that I'm easily replaceable and have no particular influence on any student. That makes it hard to be motivated. I figure your child is in primary where the children think teacher is 'god'. In secondary they definitely don't!

As for showing appreciation, gifts are nice but it means so much more to me to have a card with some real words on it - not 'thanks for all you do' but something specific to the student or the situation e.g. what you've said above about giving her a love for Maths and Irish and History. It gives you fuel to carry on, if you know what I mean.

Yes, she's in primary. I actually did write a card to her JI teacher at the end of the year, basically thanking her for giving my daughter an enjoyable and positive introduction to formal education. She had the same lovely teacher for SI.
    I've a feeling I've been somewhat blessed with the teachers she has had.
    I will write my sentiments on this year's card.

• Advertisement

I'm just thinking back lol and my daughter got a note home in her journal once. It was a substitute teacher. He wrote a note in her journal to the effect that 'Junior sopretty has been disrupting the class'. Now junior got into the car and I knew straight away that something was wrong. Clearly she figured confession was good for the soul (or easier than being found out!). So I get this sad story about this teacher giving out to her. She was putting her feet up on the side of another lad's chair, and the other lad kept pushing her feet off. Other lad told the teacher.

Anyway, the article (my daughter) had decided (in consultation with her cohorts) that scribbling out the teacher's note was the way forward.

I had to try to contain my humour while disciplining her. I wrote back to her teacher also. 'Despite Junior's best endeavours to obliterate your note home, she has this evening confessed to all and has been suitably reprimanded. Please let me know if there are any further issues'.

I had a stern chat with her about putting her feet on other children's seats. She was punished I think with no TV for that evening. The obvious shame she had though was enough. She's a gas wee character. Hates to be seen to do anything wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

sopretty wrote: »
    I'm just thinking back lol and my daughter got a note home in her journal once. It was a substitute teacher. He wrote a note in her journal to the effect that 'Junior sopretty has been disrupting the class'. Now junior got into the car and I knew straight away that something was wrong. Clearly she figured confession was good for the soul (or easier than being found out!). So I get this sad story about this teacher giving out to her. She was putting her feet up on the side of another lad's chair, and the other lad kept pushing her feet off. Other lad told the teacher.

Anyway, the article (my daughter) had decided (in consultation with her cohorts) that scribbling out the teacher's note was the way forward.

I had to try to contain my humour while disciplining her. I wrote back to her teacher also. 'Despite Junior's best endeavours to obliterate your note home, she has this evening confessed to all and has been suitably reprimanded. Please let me know if there are any further issues'.

I had a stern chat with her about putting her feet on other children's seats. She was punished I think with no TV for that evening. The obvious shame she had though was enough. She's a gas wee character. Hates to be seen to do anything wrong.

Hmmm, How do you that the incident was just 'putting her feet on someone elses chair'?... This was her version of what happened, (what actually happened wasnt in the note was it?).....

Actually...it's the weekend now so I dont care,
    Ill deal with it monday. (...cue sound of cider flowing over ice cubes ;) )

Armelodie wrote: »
    Hmmm, How do you that the incident was just 'putting her feet on someone elses chair'?... This was her version of what happened, (what actually happened wasnt in the note was it?).....

Actually...it's the weekend now so I dont care,
    Ill deal with it monday. (...cue sound of cider flowing over ice cubes ;) )

I have absolutely no doubt that the brat (that is mine) was hitting off the other lad and annoying him. I am under no illusions as to her demonic and angelic traits lol. The point I was trying to make though was that I engaged with the teacher in disciplining her. I think sometimes we can be a little blinded as to the demonic side of our angels. :cool: She's a generally good child, so I didn't enforce a stricter discipline. The shame (to her) of having to bring my note to her teacher was enough for her. She's fierce precious like that lol.

Enjoy your well earned drink!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I have absolutely no doubt that the brat (that is mine) was hitting off the other lad and annoying him. I am under no illusions as to her demonic and angelic traits lol. The point I was trying to make though was that I engaged with the teacher in disciplining her. I think sometimes we can be a little blinded as to the demonic side of our angels. :cool: She's a generally good child, so I didn't enforce a stricter discipline. The shame (to her) of having to bring my note to her teacher was enough for her. She's fierce precious like that lol.

Enjoy your well earned drink!!!

Ah yeah , I take your point alright, it's a bonus when a parent is onside. In my day (... here's the drink talking)...in my day if we were blamed in the wrong we were just told to cop on and get over ourselves..in a way its a life lesson that the student knows that daddy won't always be there to jump in at the first injustice... During their future work career there will be little annoyances that they will have to just suck up and move on.

Armelodie wrote: »
    Ah yeah , I take your point alright, it's a bonus when a parent is onside. In my day (... here's the drink talking)...in my day if we were blamed in the wrong we were just told to cop on and get over ourselves..in a way its a life lesson that the student knows that daddy won't always be there to jump in at the first injustice... During their future work career there will be little annoyances that they will have to just suck up and move on.

There is an awful lot of preciousness, and I am guilty of indulging little sopretty in that regard. Unfortunately for little sopretty, I have a very close family friend who works in the school, so little sopretty knows she'll get away with nothing! They can however convince you that they have been the subject of injustices worthy of being brought to the Hague Convention.
    Unfortunately for little sopretty, Mammy has a close eye on everything going on (metaphorically).

She has had such fabulous teachers though. I genuinely feel we've been blessed, as they have all taken to her. She's a brat (says her Mammy), but she seems to behave herself in school (would still love to know how they achieve that one!).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I went to a deis school and my teachers mostly told us working class people didn't want to go to college. One however was a genius and encouraged me to ask questions, try to solve problems and figure out how the world works. Now I'm doing a PhD in biochemistry and it's all thanks to him. Good teachers are certainty appreciated.

Actually on the same note would it be weird of me sending him a letter thanking him?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Actually on the same note would it be weird of me sending him a letter thanking him?

Lol, I'm a bit like you. I am suddenly feeling guilty that I haven't let my daughter's teacher know how much I appreciate them. I sort of take it as a given that they know, but maybe they don't.

Lol, I'm a bit like you. I am suddenly feeling guilty that I haven't let my daughter's teacher know how much I appreciate them. I sort of take it as a given that they know, but maybe they don't.

He called me back on the last day of school to tell me something and I had to run for my school bus that was just about to leave. I would love to have a chat with him again and tell him he was appreciated. It's not an easy job.

He called me back on the last day of school to tell me something and I had to run for my school bus that was just about to leave. I would love to have a chat with him again and tell him he was appreciated. It's not an easy job.

I think he would be very grateful to hear how you appreciated his input into your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

OP,you will find that many of the teachers who clamour loudly about all the negatives are actually the best teachers, the real teachers, who actually love the job, but who bitterly resent what the likes of Ruari Quinn is trying to do.

For the past three weeks I've worked 11 hour days and that's no exaggeration. I've a sixth year French class to get through the orals, plus two other exam classes who can't be neglected,plus a very good fifth year French who need to be kept motivated plus plus etc etc. But despite and indeed because of those crazy hours [which is not all the time by the way!] I really love the job and could not see myself at anything else. Despite loudly telling anyone who'd listen [including everyone here :D] that I would never again give one minute extra,I've given my 6th years lots of extra coaching for the orals. Why? Because I want to and because I'm committed to them. I also enjoy my other classes and enjoy giving it my all.

BUT,it's because I want to,not because anyone tells me to! I'm not a team player and have a very low tolerance of bossy authority figures.Does that make me arrogant? Hell yes, but my students love my personality and my ways and it works. And I hugely resent the bland standardisation that is going on nowadays.I think youngsters benefit greatly from a bit of colour and from different teaching and personality styles.And because I willingly put in long hours already,I bitterly resent being forced to put in even more at stupid compulsory meetings, again at the behest of a minister who doesn't have the remotest clue how a real teacher operates.

So, as people are telling you, despite all the crap,which is in no way exaggerated,teaching is still a very enjoyable job, but only for those who are cut out for it. For anyone not cut out for it,or only in it to have a job,it's total hell.

I'm not a teacher, but a parent. I can honestly say that my daughter's teachers have been extraordinary. How they manage to get her to sit still for more than 2 seconds has me in awe for a start. She has had nothing but glowing reports from her teachers. Likewise, she has a respect for them beyond any other person in her life. The notion that you might 'tell her teacher' appals her lol. All of her teachers so far have been relatively young female teachers. She is excelling in school, in no small way, as a result of the excellent work her teachers have done with her.
    They have managed to give her a love for Maths and Irish and History. This is not something I could have passed on to her.

Do her teachers know the appreciation I have for them though? No. Probably not. I put a lot of thought into gifts for them at Christmas and at the end of the year, but no, I have never told them. I don't want to be seen as trying to influence them by licking their asses. But on a daily basis I thank God for the positive experiences and education they are passing on to my daughter.

Maybe as a parent, I should thank teachers a little more.

Thank you so much for that lovely post,sopretty! At times like these, with so much ignorant teacher bashing going on,it means a great deal to hear that we are appreciated.

acequion wrote: »
    Thank you so much for that lovely post,sopretty! At times like these, with so much ignorant teacher bashing going on,it means a great deal to hear that we are appreciated.

Remind yourself that for every 1 dissenting voice, there are probably 99 approving voices. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

acequion wrote: »
    OP,you will find that many of the teachers who clamour loudly about all the negatives are actually the best teachers, the real teachers, who actually love the job, but who bitterly resent what the likes of Ruari Quinn is trying to do.

For the past three weeks I've worked 11 hour days and that's no exaggeration. I've a sixth year French class to get through the orals, plus two other exam classes who can't be neglected,plus a very good fifth year French who need to be kept motivated plus plus etc etc. But despite and indeed because of those crazy hours [which is not all the time by the way!] I really love the job and could not see myself at anything else. Despite loudly telling anyone who'd listen [including everyone here :D] that I would never again give one minute extra,I've given my 6th years lots of extra coaching for the orals. Why? Because I want to and because I'm committed to them. I also enjoy my other classes and enjoy giving it my all.

BUT,it's because I want to,not because anyone tells me to! I'm not a team player and have a very low tolerance of bossy authority figures.Does that make me arrogant? Hell yes, but my students love my personality and my ways and it works. And I hugely resent the bland standardisation that is going on nowadays.I think youngsters benefit greatly from a bit of colour and from different teaching and personality styles.And because I willingly put in long hours already,I bitterly resent being forced to put in even more at stupid compulsory meetings, again at the behest of a minister who doesn't have the remotest clue how a real teacher operates.

So, as people are telling you, despite all the crap,which is in no way exaggerated,teaching is still a very enjoyable job, but only for those who are cut out for it. For anyone not cut out for it,or only in it to have a job,it's total hell.

I agree with this. I love teaching, I enjoy it and on good days I get a real kick out of it. However that system is being undermined by ridiculous quantities of paperwork and endless meetings both irrelevant and relevant. Some paperwork, and some meetings are excellent. Some are not.

I don't need to sit listening to you about another policy when I could be working at the voluntary work that has had to be cancelled/postponed for the umpteenth time because of 'croke park meetings'. I could be ringing a parent I need to. Or correcting copies. Or photocopying. Or consoling a student. Or the endless litany of other jobs that have to be squeezed into the day.

However I will say, some meetings such as where student welfare is discussed or similar are necessary and informative.

The problem is the balance is tipping. Like acequion I run a ton of stuff outside the classroom, music competitions, choirs, practicals etc. I have exam students at both levels to prep. This time of year is mental. Generally we get on with it and live for the Easter break to catch up on sleep. It's the policy changes from the department which are tipping the balance from exhausting but manageable into completely unmanageable where something has to give

Oh and a positive? Watching a student who has been petrified of performance go in and sit a brilliant practical exam in music. Dead proud!

The problem is the balance is tipping. Like acequion I run a ton of stuff outside the classroom, music competitions, choirs, practicals etc. I have exam students at both levels to prep. This time of year is mental. Generally we get on with it and live for the Easter break to catch up on sleep. It's the policy changes from the department which are tipping the balance from exhausting but manageable into completely unmanageable where something has to give

Musicmental85 you are wrong about what I have emboldened above.I most certainly do not run a ton of extra stuff! In the present climate I have a big issue that voluntary is being offered,but I'm well aware that, like everything in teaching,it's complicated and intangible and cannot be box ticked or put on a crisp white form.

The only extra I'm prepared to do for free these days is some extra tuition. And if I'm completely honest,that's as much for me as for my students. I'm really into my subjects and get a huge kick when kids want to go the extra mile with them. Therefore, as a passionate francophile, I've enjoyed the past few weeks of getting my students to actually cop that communicating in a foreign language opens all sorts of doors. However,if I were to be told in the morning that I had to start doing voluntary debating again with all it entails, I'd be raging and massively resentful.[I did this for many years until I was tired of it and gave it up with no pressures.]

My point being that before the crash and the bondholder friendly "reform" of the public service, no one gave a rats arse about how teachers did their jobs and that was fine. The majority of us were always very generous with our time and it mattered not a damn to the general public if I was coaching extra French and you were running various choirs and X was running various sports teams but Y wasn't doing any of that because she'd a young family or indeed that Z wasn't either because he /she simply didn't want to, aka a genuinely voluntary ethos. We were decently paid,happy with our jobs and conditions and no one [except the gossips] were counting who was doing what.

But now it's a different game and apparently hours matter. To the extent that the DES are forcing everyone to clock in more than the standard 45-50 hour week,[like there really are loads of teachers who only do 22 and manage to swan into class with no prep /corrections! :rolleyes:] So, for that very reason,if there were a vote in the morning to ban extras,I'd be first in the queue to vote yes.Because much and all as we love our students and our jobs, the time has come to put the profession first.I might be fine about the extras and so are loads of us,but when too many of us do it it becomes standard practice, and the poor teacher who doesn't want to, is considered lacking.

So,I did go against my principles, post the awful HR, and gave extra tuition to my students for the 2014 orals.Cue when I retire, my principal telling my replacement, on about two hours a week as my job will be well split up,that Ms X always gave lunchtime coaching for the orals! So, to try to prevent such a scenario, still a good bit into the future,I've told nobody who knows me that I'm doing it, and the actual kids are sworn to secrecy.I'm perfectly aware that they won't keep the secret but at least it makes them realise that this is indeed an extra and a privilege, which in my opinion, is good.

Sorry if I misinterpreted you! Music Competitions/Choirs are obviously extra curricular. But like yourself I did have to give up extra time to my students doing music practicals this year. While this was not a chore at all for some and they did appreciate it, I will say that there was one or two who were like "Can you not just take me during your free classes" etc when expected to perform in class.

For me its the competitions/choir that I get the kick out of. There's so little opportunity for self expression, even in music. It can so easily become "You need to pick your pieces for the practical now and only practise them" etc. And music is perhaps the exception rather than the rule (except for PE perhaps), in the sense that as a music teacher there has always been an expected level of extra curricular attached to the job be that carol services or school shows. I didn't go in with my eyes closed :)

I really hope your principal doesn't tell your replacement that? That wouldn't be on!

I really hope your principal doesn't tell your replacement that? That wouldn't be on!

Unfortunately,as long as there is such a huge over supply of teachers and a shortage of jobs, that is exactly what they will be telling them!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Wouldn't be weird. Sure he'd be glad.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

I love this thread.

I was having a really really ****ty week at school a few weeks back. I was really homesick (I teach in Australia) i was missing my sisters engagement party and I know I won't get home for at least another year. Crap! Crap! Crap!

So anyway one of the little boys in my class has autism. The start of the year was a real struggle with him but gradually we have settled into a routine to the point where he now smiles when he sees me. He has very very few words (approx 5). But suddenly, out of nowhere, he said my name:) I could have cried!! He keeps saying it now, with a big smile on his face! He obviously knows I love it:)

I know that seems like a totally minor thing but honestly it really made my week! I'm smiling now just thinking about it! Yes the pay cuts and conditions are brutal and plenty of teachers have had to emigrate (myself included!) but it's these little things that make me stay in teaching.

• Advertisement

I love those moments. Watching a student struggle to achieve on tests in maths all the way through 2nd year. Algebra suddenly clicks in 3rd year and he gets 100% on a functions test! His face :)

Advertisement