Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive Teaching Experiences

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KnocKnocKnock

Thank you for the replies. It's nice to hear that we are appreciated, even if it's not always clear and hearing about the rewarding parts of teaching.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

When I joined my school, most of the children in my class had never been to visit one of the most famous historical sites in the area, even though it was just out the road. I, with the support of a far-seeing principal started organising trips once a year to various different places. Success to me, was a parent saying that her son would not let them drive past a high cross without stopping, as it was important that "everyone in the family learned to love and explore their local area."

NOTHING beats seeing a child who has struggled suddenly "get it." A child who struggles with phonics suddenly blending all the sounds to make a word.

Another one that sticks with me is a friendly Gaelic match ,where the other team were REALLY weak and we started pulling in small sisters from the spectators as subs to help even things up. One little lass hadn't played much and wasn't sure where she was to go on the pitch. An older girl, not known for random acts of kindness, took her by the hand, led her up to the pitch and said she was sure the smallie would be even better than she was.

Children will constantly surprise us and I firmly believe that most children will accept rules that they see as fair and applying to one and all. Parents sometimes need to back off and let the teacher teach.

Advertisement