Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone / Windows 8 App recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Does not seem to be available for all phone, does not like my Samsung,

For Ireland, only supports DART at present.

HERE is nokia's mapping software arm. Might explain it not being available for a Samsung device

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Communicorp has recently released an app for Spin 1038, following on from Today FM and Newstalk FM.

All similar apps but work very well and great to see local support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭ablelocks

plex is free for 1 month (for nokia phones) - stream your videos, music, photos and home movies to your Windows Phone from your home computers using your Plex Media Server

Nokia Camera app is now available for all lumia phones if you haven't used the us region workaround already.

beta for now

article

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Piusno1

Flash Videos is and excellent app for my 820

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Anyone find a decent app that shows a live tile will all appointments and todos more than 3 and doesn't hide them. Once past the scheduled time.

Simple and Super Calendar don't do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I'm finding the 'toggle' app I downloaded to be a bit slow sometimes.
    Can anyone recommend a replacement?

I think its a system limitation. Can't understand why WP8 works like that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Readit - I know this has been mentioned and Baconit was suggested instead but Readit it really is an amazing app. It's updated way more often and just works a lot better. I was previously on Baconit but after hearing people on Reddit praising Readit I decided to give it a go and was not disappointed, it's well worth the €1.99.

Flipmag Beta - This is a lovely little news app. It looks great and works well. It's only in beta but is updated regularly so should see some vast improvements.

Wolfie - The app version of the site wolfram alpha. For anybody who's job/education involves mathematics this is a really great app. It does all sorts of things like integration so it can be really useful.

Also any of Rudy Huyn's apps. He has done the windows phone versions of Snapchat (6snap) and instagram (6tag) and both are much better than the official ones on iOS/Android. 6tag definitely puts the official WP instagram to shame. Rudy also made a WP Tinder app but was made to take it down due to requests from Tinder. Search his name on the app store and give some of his apps a go because they're really good. He updates them regularly and also takes feedback and occasionally posts on Reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

A few I find useful

FotMob - Simple live soccer scoring and game info for all the big soccer leagues in the world.
    Google Drive on WP - Great for accessing files you might have on google drive but read only unfortunately.
    Digital Audio Book - I listen to a lot of audiobooks and this seems to be the best solution I've found so far. Properly remembers where you left of and even somehow lets you use a slider to select your position in an audio file??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Guscat

Anyone know when Rudy and window's official Tinder for the windows phone will be out?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Guscat wrote: »
    Anyone know when Rudy and window's official Tinder for the windows phone will be out?

No, but you can ask him on Twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

theothernt wrote: »
    No, but you can ask him on Twitter?
    He won't have an answer, countless have asked him already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭wilser

FIFA 14 is free in the store atm,
    888 mb download

beauf wrote: »
    I think its a system limitation. Can't understand why WP8 works like that at all.

With any luck 8..1 will include its own similar functions/shortcuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Gta:sa is available in the win 8 app store, not sure if its a good port though, already have an android copy.

imitation wrote: »
    Gta:sa is available in the win 8 app store, not sure if its a good port though, already have an android copy.

Is it XBL compatible do you know?

nokia tones - "A retrospective collection of 1.000 ringing tones embedded in various Nokia products from 1994 through 2014. Presented by Nokia Design Team."

polyphonic, baby!

ablelocks wrote: »
    nokia tones - "A retrospective collection of 1.000 ringing tones embedded in various Nokia products from 1994 through 2014. Presented by Nokia Design Team."

polyphonic, baby!

Check out blue ice. Some tune

Nokia Refocus was announced as now being available for all lumias but for some reason it's not available to install on my 820 - anyone else having this issue?

• Advertisement

ablelocks wrote: »
    Nokia Refocus was announced as now being available for all lumias but for some reason it's not available to install on my 820 - anyone else having this issue?

More specifically it was announced for all 'pureview' lumias.
    Does the 820 use pureview?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

More specifically it was announced for all 'pureview' lumias.
    Does the 820 use pureview?

Originally yes, but now it is available for ALL Lumias... with a camera ;)

http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/03/14/depth-charge-refocus-rolls-lumias/

If you're having issues downloading it, wait a few hours and try again.

Can anyone recommend a good weather app?

I'm not finding bing weather to be too reliable or accurate.

I though bing weather is ok. Not significantly different to the Android and Apple devices I've compared it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

beauf wrote: »
    I though bing weather is ok. Not significantly different to the Android and Apple devices I've compared it with.

+1 for Bing Weather. It's generally quite accurate (especially the hourly forecast) and shows local weather too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Cant beat the Weather Stone to be honest :)

r0lw216l.jpg

Can anyone recommend a good weather app?

I'm not finding bing weather to be too reliable or accurate.

I like Bing weather but since you don't I'll actually answer your question.

The Weather Channel app is pretty good.

Also there's an app called 627.am which is like an alarm clock/weather/todo list app. It's one of the best designed apps I've come across, it's really beautiful. Not so much weather detail but it does give you a summary on the live tile and there is a more detailed forecast in the app itself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    I like Bing weather but since you don't I'll actually answer your question.

The Weather Channel app is pretty good.

I was going to suggest that yesterday and forgot :o I have found it pretty good.

New one rising is the Amazing HD app, its €1.99 but you can try it first:> http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store/app/amazing-weather-hd/c7ac43c5-5d99-4e65-913d-e92e253e9e99

Brilliant.
    Thanks lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭g0g

Another great recommendation I got from WP Central:
    Hexic
    Absolutely addictive game on either W8 or WP8! It's a puzzle rotate-block game but a bit different from the norm.

Advertisement