Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taking a break from the yard

Options
  • 21-03-2014 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭

What do ye all do to take a break from the yard work this time of the year or anytime?
    I'm starting back at the football soon and usually try get out the odd weekend be it to the cinema or out to town with the girlfriend and a few mates.
    Ye can get awful lazy I find if ye don't bother making the effort to go and do something

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

i go farming to take a break, but the last couple of weeks of sleep deprivation are starting to take its toll, two weeks from now and the fields are fully greened up, it will all be forgotten about. I might spoil herself for a few days next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

i go out to the field picking stones or fencing, grand to get away from it:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

same the yard is my break. I run out the house when visitors come over with crying babies. find the tractor work very relaxing especially ploughing. (nearly doing too much reseeding on this farm).

I enjoy going to shows aswell such as milstreet, ploughing etc.
    go to the cinema now and then, pub etc.

not really gone in eating out. get quiet bored with that and theres not enough activity in that for me.

I love the sun aswell. I take a foreign holiday everyyear or even last year just lying out on the grass on a towel soaking it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Try to take the a few hrs off 1 day a week, go for lunch with the Mrs.
    Plans out the window for this week, went to a funeral yesterday at 10am arrived home at 3am. As a friend says "I was never in America but I was in some state last night"
    I wont need a story tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

What do ye all do to take a break from the yard work this time of the year or anytime?
    I'm starting back at the football soon and usually try get out the odd weekend be it to the cinema or out to town with the girlfriend and a few mates.
    Ye can get awful lazy I find if ye don't bother making the effort to go and do something

Soccer one night a week, football starting back now aswell. Head to the Cinema about once a fortnight on a week night normally. Go to a good few of the county games aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Soccer one night a week, football starting back now aswell. Head to the Cinema about once a fortnight on a week night normally. Go to a good few of the county games aswell.

Ye suckler men have it too easy :D

Ye suckler men have it too easy :D

Your only young once, I'll be tied to the farm long enough, spending enough time at it as it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Hurling training three times a week. A run of about 10 - 12km on two weeknights and a roughly 20-25km run on a sunday afternoon. The weknight runs often happen at anytime between 9 and 11 at night by the time I get the yard finished after work and kids get to bed etc.

Hurling training three times a week. A run of about 10 - 12km on two weeknights and a roughly 20-25km run on a sunday afternoon. The weknight runs often happen at anytime between 9 and 11 at night by the time I get the yard finished after work and kids get to bed etc.

Feck. Fair going that is are you on the county team?

gave up the soccer the last few months might go back hurling in the next couple of weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Feck. Fair going that is are you on the county team?

THat wouldnt get you on the junior B around here:cool:

Played at a couple of lower levels when I was younger. Minor, a bit of junior and intermediate with them. Never near good enough to play with them at senior nor would I give the commitment they would desire.
    I got into running about 18 months to two years ago and love the flexibility of it. No team training to be tied to. You can go train as and when it suits you. Duffry man yourself or am I causing you a grave insult?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Jezz fair play with the evening runs that late, I know I'd be awake all night if I ran at 11pm! But anyways, athletics is my main escape also, still in the middle of calving season now, so struggling to make training, however once things settle down in afew weeks I'll be aiming to get out 4/5 evenings a week, and then track races most weekends over the summer! Can't wait for it now, to be honest if the farm ever comes to a point where I don't have the evenings off for a good chunk of the year, I'd have no problems packing it in and getting a 9-5 job again!

After night runs I'd be the opposite, no lullaby needed at all. You must have a turn of pace Timmay. I'd be a plodder and with my lack of acceleration wouldn't consider anything under 10k. I am trying to nuild to a marathon, Dublin 2015 as this is my lastyear hurling and I will have more time for the training next year and as a little holiday for 10 yeats married head for Barcelona 2016 and bring herself to kill two birds with one stone.

Played at a couple of lower levels when I was younger. Minor, a bit of junior and intermediate with them. Never near good enough to play with them at senior nor would I give the commitment they would desire.
    I got into running about 18 months to two years ago and love the flexibility of it. No team training to be tied to. You can go train as and when it suits you. Duffry man yourself or am I causing you a grave insult?
    Would be inbetween duffery and bunclody. Played for bunclody though

Grave insult so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

The day job but I consider the yard the break away from it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

After night runs I'd be the opposite, no lullaby needed at all. You must have a turn of pace Timmay. I'd be a plodder and with my lack of acceleration wouldn't consider anything under 10k. I am trying to nuild to a marathon, Dublin 2015 as this is my lastyear hurling and I will have more time for the training next year and as a little holiday for 10 yeats married head for Barcelona 2016 and bring herself to kill two birds with one stone.

Ha yeh 800m and 1500m are the targets this summer! The marathon is 10years away for me yet!

I'm mad to go playing hurling, always pucking a ball around at home and even down the field when I'm herding. Nearest club is 15 miles away though and we used to be pucking the sh1t out of each other playing football. They are intermediate too, if they had a junior team I would definitely sign up and try and get into it. Haven't played a competitive game since u14 when it fizzled out in our own club.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

For myself during the winter months I train at TKD. Training keeps me nimble and relatively fit. Other than that, I like to fish (freshwater) as well.
    As one half of a couple, I just like to spend time with OH working and sorting out the daily challenges.
    OH likes Country music and going dancing. I dislike Irish Country music but at the end of the day its all about swings and roundabouts, give and take etc.
    We always try to go out one night a week for a nice dinner, wine etc.......;)

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    For myself during the winter months I train at TKD. Training keeps me nimble and relatively fit. Other than that, I like to fish (freshwater) as well.
    As one half of a couple, I just like to spend time with OH working and sorting out the daily challenges.
    OH likes Country music and going dancing. I dislike Irish Country music but at the end of the day its all about swings and roundabouts, give and take etc.
    We always try to go out one night a week for a nice dinner, wine etc.......;)

What do you fish for? Pike, coarse or trout and salmon? I do a bit of specimen hunting in the salt.

I do like the bit of pike fishing and tench fishing in the summer when I have time for it which seems to be rare nowadays

Reggie. wrote: »
    I do like the bit of pike fishing and tench fishing in the summer when I have time for it which seems to be rare nowadays

Congers and Huss for me, big angry fish :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Reggie. wrote: »

You're very close to a couple of excellent little Pike fisheries. And indeed Tench if ya know where to look.

have to get back doing weights, not as strong lifting calves anymore! hurling and soccer for me with pints at the weekends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Shooting, hunting and some fishing.

We (OH) go to a nice restaurant at least once a week. I just love good food and good wine.
    We don't eat out so much in the summer as the heat ruins the old appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

Seeing has the weather is like January I'm off to do what we do in January: bring family to a hotel with a pool for the weekend. Off to Cork on the cheap today. Hope to see some proper land while I'm there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

kevthegaff wrote: »
    have to get back doing weights
    Same. 18 months since I last did them, was quite serious into it, tendinitis in my right knee and then I got lazy. Both looking forward to and dreading the pain after my next leg workout. SQUATS!

Gillespy wrote: »
    Same. 18 months since I last did them, was quite serious into it, tendinitis in my right knee and then I got lazy. Both looking forward to and dreading the pain after my next leg workout. SQUATS!

Go get the sweat on

• Advertisement

You're very close to a couple of excellent little Pike fisheries. And indeed Tench if ya know where to look.

Oh I know a good few alright. My childhood was mostly fishing till I grew up then and had to work

Advertisement