Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the worst thing YOU have done in work?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

newbie2013 wrote: »
    **** in a mates sandwich and wrapped it back up in clingfilm and someone else got the blame and sacked lol

Threads over, time to get my coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Semele wrote: »
    When I was a psychiatric nursing assistant on a secure forensic ward I once let a very psychotic female patient from another ward in, thinking she was a social worker:(. Realised almost immediately but there was already chaos, 15 equally psychotic men making the most of the break in routine, alarms going off, and the emergency restraint team having to burst in a painfully long 5 minutes later and bodily remove her.

I'd only been in the job 2 weeks and it had to be the day when all the big nob doctors were there for the weekly ward meeting. I have never felt so small or so stupid in my life as they all glared at me with a mixture of pity and disgust. I fully understand the blood-running-cold cliche now!

Reminds me of Terminator 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I was in work when a drunken arsėhole came in and started shouting and being agressive. He had a full unopened wine bottle in his hand and was swinging it around, then kept motioning as if he was setting to throw it at me. If I was hit in the face with a full bottle it would be game over so thought 'fućk this'
    I managed to grab the bottle and swing my other arm round his neck at the same time. I threw the bottle down and locked my arms in a choke hold and within seconds he was "out" ..... But instead of slumping him on the floor as I should have down, my adrenaline was still pumping, so more out of anger or blood rush or whatever the cause was, I still holding him in the choke hold, threw him, while unconscious towards the open door, head first using my body weight... Unfortunately with no way to protect himself, he smacked face first on the doorframe and then his head hit the concrete footpath.... I thought he was dead. Never been as sick in my life...... I panicked and not knowing where I stood legally as to the force i used, lied to the gards and said he had fallen.
    And when they requested the CCTV footage a day or 2 later, for some reason, there was none. :eek:
    Thankfully he didn't remember anything about the incident himself when he woke up in the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Not.For.Diamonds would I add my tuppence to this retro-hang-fest!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Thargor wrote: »
    Ive made it seem like certain jobs take a lot longer than they actually do to the point where I only do about 3 hours of work in a day and spend the rest on Boards and Reddit, slowly going mad though, need to start looking for another job.

Jobs where you can get away with doing very little get very tiresome quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

py2006 wrote: »
    Jobs where you can get away with doing very little get very tiresome quickly

God yes.

My first proper IT job was with a start up company that had lots and lots of teething problems. I spent six months turning up every day and being paid to basically mess about on the internet with no work at all. It was great at first but it got so boring we were wandering about the building helping out with maintenance work and deliveries just for a bit of variety.

As for worst thing I've done, I'd rather not say as this place is on The Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Is there anything you have done while in work that really, really should have gotten you fired on the spot?

I don't have a guilty conscience or anything :D haha as I am always the model professional in the workplace. Actually, I am on here while at work! :-/

Dying to hear some juicy stories...

The worst thing I’ve done is turn up the first day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Is there anything you have done while in work that really, really should have gotten you fired on the spot?

I don't have a guilty conscience or anything :D haha as I am always the model professional in the workplace. Actually, I am on here while at work! :-/

Dying to hear some juicy stories...

I sent 4 40ft trucks out to collect 4 100gram boxes once

As for worst thing I've done, I'd rather not say as this place is on The Google.

Well now you have to. Just don't mention the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

2 spring to mind.
    The first was when I was roughly 3 weeks into my new job (the one I'm still in) and I accidentally deleted a 3 year old invoice.
    Apparently that caused a **** storm in the accounting department.
    The second and by far the worst was when I accidentally sent a purchase order to the wrong client which was being charged more than the other client.
    That is a hige mistake and one that you will definitely get fired for, luckily the person I had sent it to was out of the office on holiday so I was able to recall the message no bother :D
    Still scares the crap out of me though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

BNMC wrote: »
    €100 each. It was obvious he knew it was us that was behind the missing money as he was more of a prick to us than usual for a while after that.

It was bad to take money that wasn't ours. Still feel guilty to this day.

Bad, absolutely.

But TBH if a couple is getting €200 off someone who is not a part of the immediate family then I wouldn't be too worried about leaving them stuck.

That.....and like you I also worked in a hotel. The kitchen of a hotel in fact. As far as I'm concerned, you and your mate went through enough to get that €100 each. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

bear1 wrote: »
    2 spring to mind.
    The first was when I was roughly 3 weeks into my new job (the one I'm still in) and I accidentally deleted a 3 year old invoice.
    The second and by far the worst was when I accidentally sent a purchase order to the wrong client which was being charged more than the other client.
    That is a hige mistake and one that you will definitely get fired for, luckily the person I had sent it to was out of the office on holiday so I was able to recall the message no bother :D

I did that once too. By fax - our prehistoric office had no email. Cue angry customer X ringing up to ask why customer Y was getting cheaper stuff. I got a severe dressing down for that one, but not the sack!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I worked in a law firm, with my mate qualified, I was an apprentice.

I had a question, my mate told me to ask one of the other Solicitors. I fired her off an email and she gave me a bland, half assed answer which was no help.

My mate emailed me and asked how I got on. I replied slating her, that in typical form, she did f**k all to help and showed her usual laziness/ineptitude.

Unfortunately, I sent the email to her rather than him.

Proper panic set in. Blood ran cold.

It was lunchtime and so I pegged it down 4 flights of stairs, out of the building, into the building with her office in, up two flights of stairs and into her office. Thankfully, she wasn't there, so ran over to her desk, deleted it out of her inbox and then deleted it from her deleted items.

F**king blessed, as I would have been fired for sure.

My blood ran cold reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

My blood ran cold reading that.

Yup - f**king blessed and a stupid stupid thing to do. I wouldn't be working where I am now if she had of read it. I mean, I proper slated her as the email was to be sent to a mate :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Lucky that her computer didn't lock itself after being left idle. :pac: Fair balls to you for the quick thinking and taking the chance, I probably just would have swallowed myself up in a hole of defeatism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

I once caused a few minutes outage on the Vodafone network by resetting the wrong server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

2 spring to mind.

You can recall emails???? When was this invented??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

everlast75 wrote: »
    Yup - f**king blessed and a stupid stupid thing to do. I wouldn't be working where I am now if she had of read it. I mean, I proper slated her as the email was to be sent to a mate :(:(

As a rule, I never put thoughts like that in writing.....too risky, a slip of the finger and it's gone to the wrong person.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You can recall emails???? When was this invented??:eek:

If you have Outlook, then you can recall a message in the following way:

1) Go to the sent email
    2) double click the email so that it opens fully
    3) Go to "ACTIONS"
    4) There is a section called "RECALL THIS MESSAGE"
    5) Click it
    6) It will then ask if you it to delete the emails which others have received.
    7) Click OK.

Now, this will only work if the other person has not read the email.
    If they haven't read it, you will receive an email advising you it was successfully recalled.
    If they have, you will get an email but it will say it was impossible to recall.
    Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

1) Go to the sent email
    3) Go to "ACTIONS"
    5) Click it
    7) Click OK.

If they haven't read it, you will receive an email advising you it was successfully recalled.
    If they have, you will get an email but it will say it was impossible to recall.
    Hope this helps.
    How the feck have I never heard of that? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Meanaspie

Thargor wrote: »
    How the feck have I never heard of that? :D

Pretty sure it only works if the other person is also using outlook, so won't work if you send it to a gmail/hotmail/yahoo etc address

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Used work in a Golf Club, in the winter we'd close up about 6pm as it would be dark & the clamp down on drink driving had killed the evening pub trade.
    Girlfriend used call in around 7pm after I'd cleaned up the bar & locker room.
    We'd then enjoy a few evening tipples in the moonlight of the bay window.
    Once nice and relaxed we'd hit the newly upgraded women's locker room for use of the jacuzzi, sauna & shower room.
    For a very amorous couple in their 20's this was like Disneyland for horny people.
    Never caught either...... happy memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Can't think of anything that bad I've done at work, but at school once I had simply awful diarrhea. I was on the toilet and it just spurted out, loads and loads. It sprayed all over the seat and the wall, and filled the toilet bowl half-full. I was scared to flush it in case it overflowed, so I snuck out and left it. When it was discovered, the teachers were furious. The janitor had to clean it up. In assembly the teachers demanded to know who it was. As if anyone would own up in assembly! so they decided to punish the whole school to make sure they punished the culprit. We all had to stand to attention for a few hours.

something really strange that someone else did at work. When we were kids, my mum took me and my sister to a garden centre. They had these big garden statues costing hundreds of pounds. My sister was walking in between them and managed to push one over, smashing it to pieces. My mum checked the price tag, it was somewhere between 200-300 pounds. So my mum went to find a shop assistant. she found a female employee, explained what had happened and offered to pay for the damage. But the employee, looking quite devastated, said, "No, don't worry about it, I'll pay for it out of my wages." My mum tried to reason with her and offered again to pay, but the girl was adamant that she wanted to pay for the damage. I still think about that to this day and wonder why she would do that. Maybe she had a guilty conscience or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Actually I thought of something I did at work. Many years ago I got a job abroad as an au pair. The parents were absolute b@st@rds. They never paid me my wages, despite repeated requests. They really blatantly gave me less food than themselves, and fed me so little that I had to spend money I'd brought with me on food. At dinner time they'd sit there eating a huge steak each with a ton of rice, and I'd get nothing but a small scoop of rice. They made me work more than double my contracted hours and do all sorts of extra work I wasn't supposed to be doing. The dad would barge in on me when I was in the shower and loved watching me iron his underpants. They even took away my suitcases and tried to take away my passport so that I couldn't escape. They were always screaming at me, and hit their kids in front of me even though hitting kids is illegal there. I was terrified of them. I decided to run away, so one day I sneaked out of the house really early before they were awake. They were going away for the weekend and so had to go without me. when they were gone I went back to get my stuff. A friend helped me retrieve my suitcases, and I packed my stuff. Due to my cleaning duties, I knew where the parents kept a stash of cash. I worked out how much they owed me in unpaid wages, and took it. I invited my friend to make long international phone calls back home on their phone. As they had underfed me for so long, we got two plastic bags and filled them food from the family's fridge and cupboards to take with us. We stomped around the house in our dirty outdoor shoes and hid bits of smelly cheese around the house to stink the place out. Then I wrote a note to the parents to tell them how awful they were and I why I was leaving, then we left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Meanaspie wrote: »
    Pretty sure it only works if the other person is also using outlook, so won't work if you send it to a gmail/hotmail/yahoo etc address

Does the other person also need to be logged in, in order for the recall to work?
    I think I remember someone trying to recall an email they sent at work, but as the person receiving it was away, the recall didn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Can't think of anything that bad I've done at work, but at school once I had simply awful diarrhea. I was on the toilet and it just spurted out, loads and loads. It sprayed all over the seat and the wall, and filled the toilet bowl half-full. I was scared to flush it in case it overflowed, so I snuck out and left it. When it was discovered, the teachers were furious. The janitor had to clean it up.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/d1/d1ebfe4b131b8f4ade11272f3d586c45848c6e7e29b2264d3446b39e54cafa4a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Meanaspie

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Does the other person also need to be logged in, in order for the recall to work?
    I think I remember someone trying to recall an email they sent at work, but as the person receiving it was away, the recall didn't work.

Not sure tbh, we ran a test on it in the office recently enough that's why I know that gmail etc don't work. But when we done it outlook to outlook we were both log in so not sure what effect if any the recipient not being logged in might have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

1) Go to the sent email
    3) Go to "ACTIONS"
    5) Click it
    7) Click OK.

Hope this helps.

Recall never fcuking works...piece of sh1t

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

1. I deleted two hours of taped dictation accidentally (fired immediately)
    2. I entered an extra zero onto a figure I entered onto a US Federal website (thought boss was actually going to hit me)
    3. Not me, but my supervisor copied a customer on an email between ourselves and sales reps discussing what margin we'd apply to a particular product.
    4. Emailed the head of compliance a 'how much have you spent on alcohol in your lifetime questionnaire'.
    5. Emailed my boss instead of my friend asking 'what the f is my boss on about?' Managed to recall that one hee hee.
    6. Completely dismissed the CEO of the company on a phonecall as not knowing what he was talking about and started reading out emails etc. ..............clearly presuming he was an engineer and not the CEO.

Gosh, I've so many - there are probably way more hee hee. Is it any wonder I'm currently unemployed!!!

:D

Advertisement