Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the worst thing YOU have done in work?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Hooked

Not my story - but a few years back some clients of ours, associated with Limerick GAA were involved with a local draw for a new car at a well known dealership

the draw is being streamed live… and there they all are, GAA/main dealer/other staff… all waiting for one man to spin the drum and pull a winning ticket.

so poor auld Mr. S starts to spin the drum. Not realising that the ONE JOB he had was to lock the little hatch/door on the underside

as it spins, the tickets fall out the arse of the drum (streaming live remember), flying around in the wind, as mr old school can be heard exclaiming ‘oh fffk’ and ‘cut… cut’

funniest thing I’ve seen in years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

That was much appreciated. .

Though you can stop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Put the wrong label on thousands of lipsticks. I was a factory floor worker making cosmetics. Every label had to be peeled off by hand, there was no faster way to do it

You would think I´d get cursed out of it.

My team loved me as we got the easiest overtime ever. Sit around a table on a factory floor for hours on a Saturday morning and chatting and "guess the movie" and other games n´such. Easy overtime ca-ching and then to the pub in the afternoon! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Copied thousands of others by, on occasion, actually doing sweet f-all, "during working from home" durations,

• Registered Users Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's also impossible to find an employer who hasn't routinely stolen from their employees. I worked in shops hotels and bars and every one of them expected me to keep working for free after I stopped getting paid if there was work still to be done

And for salary workers it's just written into the contract that overtime will never be paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ah yes, forgetting the where clause.

Thank **** for backups

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Then there was the day I chucked orange peel in to the recycling bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

When I worked in a call center, we used to wear a headset that was connected to the phone and you'd be often holding or fiddling with the wire while you were on a call just out of habit, but it used to connect/disconnect fairly easy just by using your thumb

Whenever I had an awkward/negative call I didn't want to deal with halfway through I'd just disconnect it and the line would go dead, the other person wouldn't be able to hear me and i couldn't hear them though the call was still ongoing, I used to say 'hello? hello? can't hear you anymore now I'm going to have to hang up..'

after probably cutting 100 calls over the space of a month they called me into the office and suspended me with pay for a week, then gave me my job back because I admitted it and apologised :V...

i walked out of there one morning not long after. have been self employed and travelling ever since , so it was a good idea after all!

• Advertisement

they could expect to spend an awful lot of time in the WRC these days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I did that to a smaller degree but was embarrassing because of the context.

A guy in work was involved in fundraising for a sick friend and I agreed to give 500 euro from the company. I mistakenly transferred 5000 euro and only copped when the employee got a thank you call or message saying it was so generous and he came into me saying I transferred 5k.

Now its not my company but I can make decisions like that for 500 but had to ask for the 4500 back as it was a mistake. I was horrified but it wasn't my money to give. At the end of the day 500 was still a decent donation I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

1) being too flexible, against my better judgment.

&

2) staying there too long when I could see things were deteriorating fast for me and around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I farted in a meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

I had an interview once for a higher position in my job

During the said interview i had a small stapler in my hand , Somehow during the interview under the table i accidently put the staple directly into the palm of my hand,

I had to keep a straight face & once the interview was over i had to leg it & get the staple remover to get it out of my hand, my shirt was covered in blood ,

I got the position too,

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

A guy I worked with at the time thought it would be a good idea to floor two bottles of red wine consecutively.

Needless to say when it hit his stomach it made for disturbing viewing.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I can especially relate to the second point. I was too dumb to see the writing on the wall back in 2010 when most of the senior staff members in my old department took retirement en masse. It was a downward spiral after that when the effects of the recession started kicking in. I only managed to finally free myself from that toxic environment for good in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Every day when I would come back from lunch I would throw my leftover change, copper coins in my drawer.

Whenever it was someone who was a c*nt's birthday and their card went round. As soon as nobody was looking, would take a fist full of these copper coins and put it in the collection envelope.

Nobody would remove the copper coins for fear of being accused of stealing. So inevitably the birthday person would have to open the card on front of everyone and the copper coins would all fall out, at this point I would turn to the person beside me and say: "ahhh who did that?" in a disapproving manner.

Thinking back now, god I must have been really bored working there, if this was the kind of thing I was doing for amusement.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Well nobody had the balls to say anything, would have just laughed at them anyway if they did

• Advertisement
Advertisement