Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Goods stolen in Sally Gap, Wicklow

• 16-03-2014 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭arcius

Hi guys
    Please help us to find some of our stolen belongings. Everything was stolen on the 13 of March from the car at Luggala Sally Gap, county Wicklow. If somebody found or will find some bags or personal belongings or even toys somewhere in that area please contact me.
    Here is the list of items been stolen:
    • 1 Lowepro backpack
    • 1 Swiss backpack
    • Mobile phone Samsung Galaxy s4
    • Mobile phone HTC Desire S
    • Memory cards (SD and CF) with memory card holder
    • Satnav Garmin Nuvi
    • Flash Canon 580EX2
    • Flash Yongnuo
    • Seconic Light meter
    • Wireless triggers
    • 2 Wallets with documents belonging to Mr Rac.... and Mrs Rac..... (Lithuanian driving licences, Lithuanian ID cards, UK social insurance cards, bank cards, a lot of discount cards)
    • Lens Canon 50mm 1.4
    • Lens Canon 85mm 1.8
    • Lens Canon 100-400
    • Various batteries
    • Lens Filters
    • 2 Skoda Octavia keys
    • Silver Canon film camera
    • Films
    • Lens cleaning kits
    If somebody in that area will find anything starting from photographer’s business cards to some memory cards or bags, or even some toys please do contact me. Some of the equipment is very specific and photographers don’t sell them very often as if they have that item means they bought it because they needed it. So I would also like to ask people if somebody will see somewhere online any of items listed above for sale please do send me a link to that ad. I do have serial numbers on hand so I could compare them. Also one of the bags was full of baby's stuff - nappies, toys, some clothes and some keys. So that bag should be thrown away.
    I would really appreciate any information on this accident

Thank you again for anybody’s help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

Hi OP really sorry to hear you were robbed.
    Hope you get your stuff back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

any chance you have a tracker set up on the phone? Like the apple 'find my phone'

Hope you get your stuff back OP.

And those pricks get caught!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭arcius

any chance you have a tracker set up on the phone? Like the apple 'find my phone'

Hope you get your stuff back OP.

And those pricks get caught!
    Yes I do, but they turned off all phones straight away... so we just contacted our phone provider to blacklist them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

crao. No chance when the phone is switched back on, it could be tracked? Even if its chipped?

I take it you did report it to the Gardai?

No harm to take a look at some car boot sales in the nearby area, some of it could pop up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iForgetMyPW

Could a mod please sticky this thread for OP so it does't get lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Why did you leave so much valuable stuff in your car in the first place? !!?

Sorry to hear that OP, hope you get your stuff back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

jayzus, some degenerate scumbag struck gold there. Very sorry op, insured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

arcius wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Please help us to find some of our stolen belongings. Everything was stolen on the 13 of March from the car at Luggala Sally Gap, county Wicklow. If somebody found or will find some bags or personal belongings or even toys somewhere in that area please contact me.
    Here is the list of items been stolen:
    • 1 Lowepro backpack
    • 1 Swiss backpack
    Mobile phone Samsung Galaxy s4
    • Mobile phone HTC Desire S
    So that bag should be thrown away.
    I would really appreciate any information on this accident

Thank you again for anybody’s help

Sorry your stuff was robbed. Hope you get it back. Someone will also be along shortly to inform you that the thieves were idiots, mainly as they didn't steal an Apple iPhone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

If you have fully comprehensive car insurance, it may cover contents OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

numorouno wrote: »

Um.

Just a haunch, but with the various Id cards, photo equipment, and backpacks, I'd say they were tourists enroute to or from another place to stay.

Pretty crazy thing to happen to you OP, I hope you get your stuff back and the lowlifes that took it get their karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Sorry to hear OP.

You might be aware but here is the link for locating an Android based phone. It will show the last location it was tracked to:

https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

The same link also allows you to lock and erase a phone (after a very simple set up). Well worth setting up.

Perhaps no use to you at this stage.
    Hope you get a bit of luck with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Paddy_R wrote: »
    Sorry to hear OP.

You might be aware but here is the link for locating an Android based phone. It will show the last location it was tracked to:

https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

The same link also allows you to lock and erase a phone (after a very simple set up). Well worth setting up.

Perhaps no use to you at this stage.
    Hope you get a bit of luck with this.

Any decent thief pulls the battery/shuts down the phone. No tracking then.

Thank you everyone for your answers. Our bags were not in the place where you can see them from outside. They were in the boot. Bustards smashed front passengers side fly window, opened door, got on the back seat, and from there got access to the boot. We were driving to the airport and on the way we visited few places. My brother and his family visited me for for my birthday and my sons first birthday. Talking about phones we already blacklisted them. The biggest pain now is Skoda keys. My brother had both sets of them in case he lost one. The car is parked in UK airport. no spare keys left. Contacted around 20 different companies in UK and nobody can open that car and/ or start it as it is new and has some fancy stupid alarm system. Then contacted Skoda UK and they said there are huge delays in making keys as factory in Czech republic was moved to another place. They said last time they ordered keys in november and got just few weeks ago, so means waiting list is around 5-6 months. Just shocking... Now talking about Garda. I do understand it is a bad time for them, but... I contacted garda and they said they will come shortly. In around half an hour I contacted them again and they said they've no spare car and asked us to come to garda station. In the garda station they took fingerprints. Now funny thing. They said it might be months before they check fingerprints in the database as samples needs to be sent to the head office and they deal with requests from all over Ireland. Can you imagine that??? Few months... Gardai were nice, very nice, I can not complain... But from talking to them I understood that even if they catch those bastards the chances that we will get some of our belongings back are very tight... They also said similar accidents happens often in that area. Same I was told by local people, cyclists I met on the road, as well other people online. But if that happens often why there are no cameras... Or just simple warning signs???? It would be less expensive to put some signs than to investigate each accident... Now insurance... I do have comprehensive car insurance, but it covers up to 400 euros for personal belongings... Also I called insurance company while garda were investigating my car. to be honest I had the worst experience while talking to women. I am foreigner and when I was talking it was very hard to put words together as we were all shocked. The lady started ask me questions. I tried to be honest:>>>> ..............when did that happened... >around 2 hours ago... >no I am asking you the exact time.... >maybe 13.30.... >ok, so did the accident happened at 13.30 or you left the car at 13.30, or you came back at 13.30... >I'd say we came back at 13.45 and found the car robbed... >Ok, but earlier you said the accident happened half an hour ago, now you say 13.30 which is two hours ago.... >Sorry Probably I didn't understand your question.... >where did that happened.... >between sally gap and roundwood....>no I am asking you in the car park or on the side of the road, or public car park or where... >I don't know how you would call that car park. probably public... >Ok, what was stolen... >canon lens 100-400... >So canon camera...> no, canon lens for camera... >canon camera and lens? > no, just the lense> ok how much was that... >around 1900 euros... >where did you buy it?.... >from UK.... >When did you buy it?... >Don't remember exactly, but around six months ago... >how often you fly to UK?... >not often, maybe once or twice a year... >So you don't fly often to uk, but you don't remember when did you buy your lens in UK?...................<<<<<< Because my bill pay phone was stolen I used top up phone and at this stage I finished my credits... What was that a Gestapo? I bought that lens online from uk. I really didn't remember when was that. I bought a lot of stuff online from uk and all over the world. Should I have receipts on me when driving around in case something happens and I had all the answers required?? I am so shocked... looks like I smashed my car's window and now trying to get some money of them. I paid full comprehensive car insurance for four years to that company, or even more at this stage, never claimed anything and they didn't call me back to ask if I am ok and why I did hang up the phone... I came back home in the evening and rang them second time. Nice lady explained she will take few details and somebody will ring me back in the morning (friday) as it is now out of working hours. Nobody never called me back. So yesterday I called again and lady said she is only registering accidents and someone will contact me again on tuesday morning. I asked her how it will effect my policy and no claim bonuses in my case as I need somebody to replace my window. But she said she don't know. Only the main office can discuss this to me and because of the long weekend they will call me back on tuesday. So now I am waiting for Tuesday with a flywindow taped..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

numorouno wrote: »
    Way to kick a chap when he's down.

That said, there are many areas around Dublin I'd be very wary of leaving my car unattended and I'd certainly leave nothing of value in it. I've even gone so far as to leave my parcel shelf on the back seat and my glovebox open so any passing scum can see the car is empty of anything of value when I found myself in such places. The Sally Gap is one such place. The scum know the people are likely to be gone for a long time with hiking, biking that sort of thing, so they have all the time in the world and little chance of being caught. The Glendalough car park is another well dodgy place for this. Howth head, the Phoenix park of a summers evening, night time open air cinema car parks at shopping centres are others.

I hope you have some luck in getting your stuff back arcius. You may have some luck with the more unusual items that would be hard for the scum to flog off. Keep an eye on buy and sell/ebay/adverts.ie. Set up a search that alerts you if something matches any of your stolen stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

The problem with insurance companies is their outsourcing to India for their claims. I deal with them daily and it is so obvious their English is sub-par.

You could have used that post to protect your stuff. Nothing would get through that wall of text.

You could have used that post to protect your stuff. Nothing would get through that wall of text.
    Well said. Thank you for support

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Sadly this is becoming more common in Wicklow recently. Not the first or even the second break in I've heard tell of. Tend to avoid the popular isolated spots along the Sally Gap now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭conorhal

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Sadly this is becoming more common in Wicklow recently. Not the first or even the second break in I've heard tell of. Tend to avoid the popular isolated spots along the Sally Gap now.

There has been a mini crime wave with particular gangs targeting carparks in tourist beauty spots in the past two years or so. They know full well that there will likey be a haul of goodies that are easy picking in an area that has no security or policing. People really should be warned not to leave anything of value in their cars around the picknick and beauty spot areas in the Dublin mountians. I can't imagine why there aren't signs all over the area, but then I suppose it's ofputting to the tourists.

• Advertisement

arcius wrote: »
    Well said. Thank you for support

I'm guessing there's a dozen people whose houses were burgularised yesterday, a hundred people whose cars were broken into and a few dozen who got mugged. You need extra fussing over why, again? No-one died, you lost some stuff, you need to fill some forms. There you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

im sure your gear will be up for sale on certain websites shortly

keep an eye on them

I'm guessing there's a dozen people whose houses were burgularised yesterday, a hundred people whose cars were broken into and a few dozen who got mugged. You need extra fussing over why, again? No-one died, you lost some stuff, you need to fill some forms. There you go.
    Is that means I can not ask somebody's help? I just wanted to ask if somebody finds something to let me know. If you don't want - you don't do. Just ignore this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Go away and look for thanks somewhere else. The guy/girl is just trying to get help in tracking down their belongings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Nothing like this ever happened to Bear Grylls.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mycroft H wrote: »
    I don't doubt it's increasing, but it's been fairly well known as a dodgy area for a while now M. A mate of mine who's a cop warned me of the Gap and Glendalough nearly ten years ago. I can date the advice mainly cos I was seeing this woman at the time whose idea of "fun" was weekend walks all over Wicklow regardless of the weather.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wicklow gap was always dodgy, lads cruising looking for parked up tourists cars to rob from. I just don't see what the op hopes to achieve. They have insurance, they need to claim on that, they have diddly chance of getting their stuff back and who on AH is going to swoop in and sort their keys? I'll give it a few "ahh, shure god love ye's" if it makes ye feel better. Jasus, it's getting like the Joe Duffy show. That and the "Lost and found" section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Really sorry to read about your experience OP - bad impression of the Irish welcome.

Am just throwing in my 2 cents - but I think that Hire Companies should NOT display their corporate names on Hire Cars as thieve now know how to single out tourist rental cars. The '1' on the rear window is Hertz, Avis use Avis or 'We try Harder' and Budget / Dooley / Sixt etc. all show their names prominently on the windows. This is saying 'I AM A TOURIST - ROB ME'

When I have friends over using Car Hire for their visit - I take off the sticker while they are here and bend over the Insurance Disk to hide the owner name.

When they going back to airport - I restore them all back again.

Also - the idea of removing the back parcel shelf is a good idea....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Well I didn't know it was as bad in the past. It's stretching into other areas. Up in the Cuilcagh Uplands in Sligo/Fermanagh it's supposedly getting worse now.

Mountaineering Ireland did produce this little sticker saying "No Valuables; No point" that was stuck to the drivers window when people were away hiking. I've heard the story of some fellow having his car broke into with the said sticker on the window with another note from whoever broke into the car saying "just checking".

Face it, it's an easy crime! No CCTV and it's very isolated and the Sally Gap is fairly close to Dublin to make it a target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Wicklow gap was always dodgy, lads cruising looking for parked up tourists cars to rob from. I just don't see what the op hopes to achieve. They have insurance, they need to claim on that, they have diddly chance of getting their stuff back and who on AH is going to swoop in and sort their keys? I'll give it a few "ahh, shure god love ye's" if it makes ye feel better. Jasus, it's getting like the Joe Duffy show. That and the "Lost and found" section.

I know you have a need to act like a dick, but you could fight that need. It's a general thing people with photography gear do if it gets robbed, there aren't that many photographers out there who would have that many lens' go up for sale at once, so if someone was offered them they'd know something was up. You post about it on the internet and the people who are serious about photography will spot if it's the robbed persons stuff.

Advertisement