Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BlackBerry Playbook Users

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Are you sure its not just a placebo affect, or a result of the update clearing some caches?
    I havent' used my playbook much, admittedly, but the only stuff i can see online is an update to the flash player, and some various bug fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Are you sure its not just a placebo affect, or a result of the update clearing some caches?
    I havent' used my playbook much, admittedly, but the only stuff i can see online is an update to the flash player, and some various bug fixes.

No I dont think so. I used to find the keyboard very slow to activate and it's now noticeably faster. Even typing there's no more delay on the letters. The android player loading is also quicker for me then the previous OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 madame rouge

Guys, I knocked over my playbook while it was charging and the charging port broke. What can I do to charge it? Thanks in advance for the replies. I loved my playbook and I'm lost without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Guys, I knocked over my playbook while it was charging and the charging port broke. What can I do to charge it? Thanks in advance for the replies. I loved my playbook and I'm lost without it.
    Get a genuine Blackberry Rapid charging Stand £12.14 plus €3.50 ParcelMotel charge. It charges through the three contacts on the bottom rather than via USB, and is much faster to charge. A bit awkward (bulky) if you are travelling though.

A friend borked his USB socket and it cost €70 to get it repaired in PC World.

Edit: Or get the part needed for £3 plus shipping. This seller says they will fit for £20 (plus shipping I presume). You could either google how to open the Playbook and try it yourself or get a price from a computer repair shop here. The booth in the ILAC concourse near Moore St is fairly cheap afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 10 madame rouge

Thanks for that. I just had a look at that docking station and it looks perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

We have two Playbooks in this house, both of them used daily and we have one of those desktop chargers which is all we ever use, it works superb and it docks with the PB really easily (I think I read somewhere that it uses a magnet to aid docking) unlike the supplied min usb charger which is quite fiddly and feels a bit flimsy. A friend of mine who also has one actually damaged the socket on his trying to connect the charger.
    It might be worth having a look in the bargain bin of your local PC world for a desktop charger, that's where I found mine for about €10 or €12 (can't remember exactly) and I've seen them there once or twice since...

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭ra0044

Hi,

One of the things I use my playbook for is for playing RTE player and the occasional film on my TV via HDMI lead.

Does anyone know a way of streaming via wifi from the playbook to TV ( samsung ).

Any help appeciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

My daughter's Playbook has run out of juice and I cant get it rebooting - no lights whatsoever or any othr signs of life. Tried 'stack charging' to no avail, but I suspect the standard charger port might have some damage anyway so that doesnt help.

Any chance a nice boardsie in Dublin might have a loan of a rapid charger for a day or so to try and recover it? (the one with the 3 magnetic contacts)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just in case you don't get a loan... use ParcelMotel and buy this.

I have seen a few PBs with a borked USB charging port - a friend paid €70 to have it fixed, the part costing €1 on eBay.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I switched on my PB last night and there was an update available for it OS 2.1.0.1917, I installed it but I can't really see any difference.
    Has anyone else updated theirs or noticed anything different following the update...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

I switched on my PB last night and there was an update available for it OS 2.1.0.1917, I installed it but I can't really see any difference.
    Has anyone else updated theirs or noticed anything different following the update...?

Just a maintenance update really. Flash and Adobe AIR updated. Further info here: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-updated-os-2101917

By the way it would appear that this will be the last and final update for the PlayBook. BlackBerry is ending support for PlayBook OS 2.0.x and 2.1.x. with effect from the end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Pity.
    It had potential, with specs on par with, if not better than, an iPad2.

Its funny, they were actually hindered, in my opinion, by the effectiveness of their security. If someone could crack the bootloader and install a custom OS, for the price of it, it would have been a best seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Ulster Bank recently updated their Android online banking app. Previously, their Android app did not work on the PlayBook. However, the updated app does now work once converted.

Here is a link to the converted BAR should anyone want to use it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7tbmuh71u8lnlw/com.rbs.mobile.android.ubr_v1.0.3060.0.bar

The BAR file needs to sideloaded to work. For anyone who is unfamiliar with sideloading here is all you need to know.

http://crackberry.com/sideloading-made-easy-playbook-app-manager-browser-plugin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Sorry for digging up a very old thread but I was just wondering is anyone else still using their Playbook?

I use mine daily. I still love the screen and the 64gb storage! I have other devices like a 7" Nexus or a 10" Lenovo but keep going back to my Playbook.

Just wondering am I on my own?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭ra0044

branners69 wrote: »
    Sorry for digging up a very old thread but I was just wondering is anyone else still using their Playbook?

I use mine daily. I still love the screen and the 64gb storage! I have other devices like a 7" Nexus or a 10" Lenovo but keep going back to my Playbook.

Just wondering am I on my own?

my kids still use mine to play movies on during long journeys in the car.

Have to say I haven't used it for much else in the last year but it still works fine if a little slow.

The hardware really is top notch and I always found it stable and easy to use. I have since gone with a windows tablet which I also think is a great device compared to my wives nexus tablet but really miss the feel of the old playbook.

Advertisement