Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Gaol Break Half Marathon & 10km

Options
  • 22-10-2013 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

http://www.wicklowhalfmarathonand10km.com/

Hi All

Looking for some advice on a half marathon next year. Has anyone any experience with the Wicklow Half? I heard it is very hilly, is it manageable or very tough. I did the clontarf half this year in July (my first half) and it was very hot and not the most enjoyable race. Also I learned I wasn't fully prepared. Although I could run the distance I was very slow. So since then I have been working on my speed and building my distances back up. I need a goal to keep motivated and was thinking of signing up for the Wicklow half next March. Though I can't face another bad half!

If anyone has any feedback on this race I would be very grateful if you could reply!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Can't comment on race. I'd b biased... :rolleyes:

But just to let ye know the early bird of €30 for the Half marathon ends on the 28th of October. Then goes to €35 until end Dec.

The early bird for the 10km of €20 goes to the end of Dec also. Then €25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I did it this year, here's my garmin link to check out the elevation etc http://connect.garmin.com/activity/288211464

A few testing spots along the way - it wouldn't be one for a PB - but it's a well organised race and an interesting course. Nice views and the route keeps you interested, starts in the town then out by some country roads before heading back. I'd do it again no problem.

If you are looking for a PB I'd look at the Bohermeen half which was 2/3 weeks before Wicklow this year. It's flat. Far less interesting course than Wicklow though. (I did both this year)

Bohermeen - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/279778788

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Great thank you! I am from Wicklow so that is why I was tempted by that one. There is a good few inclines though. Thanks for your help.

Maybe i'll do both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

cant wait for this one myself. came to quick for me last year as was only running a couple of months. I'll be planning a pb on this myself(sub 100min) as I had to hold back at the ferns hm and finished 11 sec outside. I'm nearly sure it's run by the same people who organise wexford/clontarf hm's so it should be a good one.......

I would be thrilled with a 2 hour 20 half marathon! As long as it isn't as bad as the Clontarf Half last year. Though that had nothing to do with the organisers, just the ridiculous heat!

I heard its a tough race but looking at Bohermeen with it's 2 laps, i'm not sure how much easier that would be. I much prefer running a big loop and deluding myself about how far I have left to go :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I'm hoping to run the 10k in next years Gaol Break :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

The 2012(IIRC) route for the half was just ridiculous. Kilometre 15 -19 was up a serious incline the likes you wouldn't see in Nepal :)

I heard they changed the course this year though. I thought it was over priced for what you got. The water at the finish was out of a large agri container.

Well marshalled though and a nice run through Wicklow town. I'd go back for the 10k but not the half.

The showers and facilities in Coral leisure were filthy so I'd head home for a shower if I were to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Did the half this year. Good race. There was plenty of water along the course and food at the end. Few hills on the course alright, very different profile to Contarf.

It was very cold last year but nothing they can do about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It was very cold last year but nothing they can do about that!

It must have been 2011 when I did it so because it was 25+ deg an absolute scorcher. Never mentioned the weather or the organisers being able to influence it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    The 2012(IIRC) route for the half was just ridiculous. Kilometre 15 -19 was up a serious incline the likes you wouldn't see in Nepal :)

I heard they changed the course this year though. I thought it was over priced for what you got. The water at the finish was out of a large agri container.

Well marshalled though and a nice run through Wicklow town. I'd go back for the 10k but not the half.

The showers and facilities in Coral leisure were filthy so I'd head home for a shower if I were to do it again.

They did change the course to make it flatter!!! in 2012 so I'm guessing you did 2011. However hearing your description of the hills doesn't surprise me. Wicklow = hills. You'd have NEVER seen the likes nowhere else.

• Advertisement

I'm actually used to hills as I live in Wicklow, but hoping it's not too tough. I'm looking for a half around March so fingers crossed either another suitable one comes up or they make that one even easier again :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭savvyav

Hi I'm currently training for my first half marathon and was planning to do the Kildare one in April but now that that's cancelled I'm looking for a new one...just wondering about this Wicklow one...I know someone said there is a new flatter course but is it still very hilly? Being a Kildare girl I like the flatlands of the Curragh :( and I really want my first HM to go well! Feeling a bit thrown now, I did the 10k in Kildare last year so I had an idea of what to expect from the HM and now I feel a bit knocked out by the idea of a new route...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

savvyav wrote: »
    Hi I'm currently training for my first half marathon and was planning to do the Kildare one in April but now that that's cancelled I'm looking for a new one...just wondering about this Wicklow one...I know someone said there is a new flatter course but is it still very hilly? Being a Kildare girl I like the flatlands of the Curragh :( and I really want my first HM to go well! Feeling a bit thrown now, I did the 10k in Kildare last year so I had an idea of what to expect from the HM and now I feel a bit knocked out by the idea of a new route...thanks

Assuming the course is the same as last year, it's an improvement on the previous years, with the majority of the climbs in the 1st 10k. Having said that's it's very runable and if you pace yourself for the 1st 2.5 miles, plus the climbs up to 10k, you can still have a good race.

Here's last year's route: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/288181917

Same as last year.
    If memory serves me correctly Beep Beep did a PB on the course last year.
    Prob all the local support :)

It seems to have a sharp enough incline for the first 10k. Is it a tough race by people's standards? I had a very bad half marathon at clontarf last year and don't want another disaster! I want to redeem myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

audreyp wrote: »
    It seems to have a sharp enough incline for the first 10k. Is it a tough race by people's standards? I had a very bad half marathon at clontarf last year and don't want another disaster! I want to redeem myself :)

I wouldn't worry too much about your previous run in clontarf. The conditions that day were v tough. I it was the hardest half marathon I've run out of about 10 halves.

Wicklow is a great run but like any race, you need to prepare for the conditions ie get plenty of hill runs in as part of your training. As you're a local may'be you could add in bits and pieces of the course as part of your training so there's no surprises. Go for it and enjoy!

All my training runs are full of hills but I compared my last run to the garmin beepbeep linked and the Gaol break route is slightly higher. So I think I will drive down to the course and give it a go. Might be best before I sign up :)

Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rubashov

Anybody know if they're going to have pacers this year?

Cheers.

Sorry for late reply.
    We don't have pacers for this race

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

What is the 10k route like?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

eoin ryan wrote: »
    Hi Eoin,
    Is this the same route as last year? I noticed on the results for 2013 that only three runners ran under 40 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Hi Everyone,

I need a bit of advice on how to approch the half in Wicklow on the 23rd.
    My PB on the distance was 1h45 last year during the Rock N roll half, I then did 1h53 in september during the Dublin series ( completely blew that day after 13km..) and finally had a PB on DCM marathon with 3h54. I kept training since, not as hard as I thought because of illness, travel etc but still tried to follow the plan for intermediate ( HM from Hal Higdon). The Wicklow being quite hilly, I have no idea what time to aim for, what strategy, it seems to be uphill the first half and down hill the second part, would it be reasonble to plan 5.30min/km first half and below 5min/km the last part? Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I wont have a chance to recognize the course beforehand.

lmguillou wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I need a bit of advice on how to approch the half in Wicklow on the 23rd.
    My PB on the distance was 1h45 last year during the Rock N roll half, I then did 1h53 in september during the Dublin series ( completely blew that day after 13km..) and finally had a PB on DCM marathon with 3h54. I kept training since, not as hard as I thought because of illness, travel etc but still tried to follow the plan for intermediate ( HM from Hal Higdon). The Wicklow being quite hilly, I have no idea what time to aim for, what strategy, it seems to be uphill the first half and down hill the second part, would it be reasonble to plan 5.30min/km first half and below 5min/km the last part? Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I wont have a chance to recognize the course beforehand.

Know this course very well and ran the race last year.
    The first 3 miles are relatively flat, so I would run either on pace or marginally slower.
    As you exit Rathnew it's time to bed down for the next 3.2 miles. This consists of a series of hills, but with breaks in between each, so none are too long without a break. Run these controlled at what feels close to your target effort.
    Once you pass the 10k point, you are at the highest part of the course, but that's not to say there are no more hills :)
    You'll give back pretty much what you've climbed over the next 2.5 miles and while a net downhill, there's a few lumps and bumps.
    You'll then turn on the coast road, roll the dice here, if it's calm or a southerly breeze, happy days, if it's northerly it will be a tough run in.
    from the turn until the 10M mark it's flat, then you have a couple of undulating miles, nothing too serious or too long.
    If you're in good shape you can hammer the last mile.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Know this course very well and ran the race last year.
    The first 3 miles are relatively flat, so I would run either on pace or marginally slower.
    As you exit Rathnew it's time to bed down for the next 3.2 miles. This consists of a series of hills, but with breaks in between each, so none are too long without a break. Run these controlled at what feels close to your target effort.
    Once you pass the 10k point, you are at the highest part of the course, but that's not to say there are no more hills :)
    You'll give back pretty much what you've climbed over the next 2.5 miles and while a net downhill, there's a few lumps and bumps.
    You'll then turn on the coast road, roll the dice here, if it's calm or a southerly breeze, happy days, if it's northerly it will be a tough run in.
    from the turn until the 10M mark it's flat, then you have a couple of undulating miles, nothing too serious or too long.
    If you're in good shape you can hammer the last mile.

Thanks so much, could not get better description, it will have an idea of what to expect now :)

Best of luck everyone for Sunday, it will be my first race since DCM 2013, I can't wait for it! I did 1h45 in last year's rock n roll half, I will be aiming for sub 1h50 I think it s reasonable.

Could be a bit chilly on Sunday, no rain but wind from the NW, which is pretty favourable / sheltered for all but the last few miles (which are net downhill).

13285707034_6aab8ded04.jpg

Results up now:
    Half: http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/Wicklow2014_Half.pdf
    10k: http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/Wicklow2014_10km.pdf

Challenging conditions on top of a challenging course, glad I was only using it as a paced run.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Results up now:
    Half: http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/Wicklow2014_Half.pdf
    10k: http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/Wicklow2014_10km.pdf

Challenging conditions on top of a challenging course, glad I was only using it as a paced run.

very tough course! I managed to equal my pb on the distance so I m very happy and optimistic for the rest of the year!

Advertisement