Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carlton Kirby

• 05-03-2014 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭

I wonder what people think of Carlton Kirby's cycling commentary on Eurosport

I initially found him annoying but he grew on me and now I look forward to his mad brand of jokes but more importantly how excited he gets in races...it isn't dull

He is doing Tour & Vuelta for Eurosport UK but not Giro :(
    But is covering Giro ...must be the cycling subscription channel or Eurosport International (but would they do 2 different commentaries in English??)

Can you get both Eurosport international and Eurosport UK in UK ???

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

MPFG wrote: »
    I wonder what people think of Carlton Kirby's cycling commentary on Eurosport

This guy knows more about cycling than Kirby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

But Carlton does have an expert by his side to steer him and I prefer him to Robert Hatch who over pronounces Italian/Spanish riders names in a pseudo accent.....like Michelle Scarponi....that drives me insane

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The lad who does the UCI Channel stuff insists on saying "aero skis" instead of "aero bars".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

He annoys the hell out of me; surprised he leaves the house as he seems to find danger everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

I prefer Rob Hatch & Matt Stephens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

I dunno, I like him. He's no Phil Liggett but he does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

Robert Hatch who over pronounces Italian/Spanish riders names in a pseudo accent.....like Michelle Scarponi....that drives me insane

Yes!! Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

He's no Phil Liggett but he does the job.
    I've run at that sentence from a number of angles and I still can't come to terms with it.

Maybe it will be Quigley and King Kelly for the Giro on Eurosport.......I can live with that (prefer Kirby/Kelly) but it could be an all Irish cast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

I thought Declan Quigley did a good job for Eurosport on the Giro last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

Lumen wrote: »
    I've run at that sentence from a number of angles and I still can't come to terms with it.

Ooops looks like my secret is out :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

But Carlton does have an expert by his side to steer him and I prefer him to Robert Hatch who over pronounces Italian/Spanish riders names in a pseudo accent.....like Michelle Scarponi....that drives me insane
    Yes!! Me too!

Sorry if you think I'm being a pendant..............but Hatch is right in his pronunciation and it says more about his detractors than about him if you have an issue. If he is fluent and familiar with correct Spanish/Italian/French pronunciation, he cannot but pronounce things correctly.

When you think about it properly, do you actually do anything else yourself? Do you not balk at a Brit calling it Drock-eeda, instead of Drogheda, or an American saying Oma-hony and not O'Mahoney?

Likewise, the mountains in Northern India are the Hi-mall-yas if you pronounce it as an person from India would, not the Him-a-lay-az, as we would say. OK, so you're not going to hear it said correctly too often in these parts, but should you really criticise Hatch for being right.......?

I'm all for correct pronounciation :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Sorry if you think I'm being a pendant..............but Hatch is right in his pronunciation and it says more about his detractors than about him if you have an issue. If he is fluent and familiar with correct Spanish/Italian/French pronunciation, he cannot but pronounce things correctly.

When you think about it properly, do you actually do anything else yourself? Do you not balk at a Brit calling it Drock-eeda, instead of Drogheda, or an American saying Oma-hony and not O'Mahoney?

Likewise, the mountains in Northern India are the Hi-mall-yas if you pronounce it as an person from India would, not the Him-a-lay-az, as we would say. OK, so you're not going to hear it said correctly too often in these parts, but should you really criticise Hatch for being right.......?

Ditto for pronunciations of cities such as Beijing and Shanghai. I cringe at hearing foreigners pronouncing them Bay-zhing and Shang-hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

That Brian "smithy" Smith does my head in seriously his accent is painfully irritating. . .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Prefer Kelly and Harmon but Carlton's absolutely fine in my book. Didn't really take to Declan Quigley last year but maybe another GT with him would help.

Carlton and Kelly are doing the Classics, the Tour and the Vuelta. Carlton will be covering the Giro for USA eurosport, so you still might see him around when the Giro comes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I wasn't a huge fan of David Harmon... until Carlton Kirby arrived on the scene.... but I do prefer either of them by a country mile compared to Rob Hatch or Brian Smith. I think I'd listen to Italian commentators before I'd listen to Brian Smith!!

The main thing is that Sean Kelly is on the air :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Ditto for pronunciations of cities such as Beijing and Shanghai. I cringe at hearing foreigners pronouncing them Bay-zhing and Shang-hi.

No. Chile is Chilly not Cheellaayyyy, unless you're Cheeeleeaaeeyyan

Classement is Class-ih-mint.

Peloton .... Pel-ih-thone

A Belgian is a Belgium. The plural is Belgiums.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

No. Chile is Chilly not Cheellaayyyy, unless you're Cheeeleeaaeeyyan

Classement is Class-ih-mint.

Peloton .... Pel-ih-thone

A Belgian is a Belgium. The plural is Belgiums.

Bone-if-ickay-shun.

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

Firstly I said I objected to his over pronunication of names in a psuedo accent

I do not for instance while speaking in English say Paris in a French accent dropping the S ( as a French speaker would say it even though I speak French) nor do I put on a German accent to say Munich ...Hatch does this for Scarponi to mention just one There are many instances on TV now of presenters saying for example Mumbai in an Indian accent while saying Rome in an English accent ?

There is a difference between correct pronunciation and changing the language

Secondly Hatch is not a native of Italy so making that comparison with the person from India who pronounces Hi-mall-yas is not a valid comparison

Thirdly it says more for you that you cannot take on board that this is an opinion on a commentator who is paid to speak on TV and does not need the condescension "it says more for his detractors" or "do you actually do anything else yourself" I am not paid to speak on TV so how I pronounce words is neither here nor there

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I hate it when commentators pronounced An Post - Chain Reaction correctly.

Look at them being all fancy and adopting airs and graces by pronouncing it as "On Pust" rather than saying "An Post"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I quite like Carlton, his commentary is decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I can't tell the difference between Kirby and Harmon's voices. I have to wait to be told which one it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Just think what might happen if they started pronouncing place names properly on the forthcoming giro.

Bollfast

Nurey

Drawhadda

Balruddery

Dubbelin

To be clear - are people suggesting that even though Hatch knows what the correct pronunciation of Italian names is, he should deliberately mispronounce them?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

To be clear - are people suggesting that even though Hatch knows what the correct pronunciation of Italian names is, he should deliberately mispronounce them?
    Then should Kirby make more effort TO pronounce them correctly if, as is suggested here, is is currently pronouncing them incorrectly?
    Was just saying I find it annoying - if others don't, then fair enough

Correct pronunciation is the least of Kirby's problems.

I'm just bemused that people would have a problem with someone pronouncing something correctly.

No !
    Say Mitchelle Scarponi correctly (and other names) without in the middle of speaking English put on an Italian accent and say
    M-I-T-C-H-E-L-L-E S-C-A-R-P-ON-I over emphasizing every syllable in a loud voice , while returning to a normal English voice for the rest of the sentence
    Why ????

It like turning into michael o muircheartaigh every time you say an Irish word in the middle of speaking English

So the correct way to say "Scarponi" in English is not to say it how an Italian would?

Does this apply to all languages? Should English commentators also deliberately mispronounce Irish words?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

This thread is really triggering my social anxiety about the correct way to ask for a croissant.

FCUK IT I'LL HAVE A BAP INSTEAD.

• Advertisement

Just don't ask for a panino. ;)

Advertisement