Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carlton Kirby

• 05-03-2014 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭

I wonder what people think of Carlton Kirby's cycling commentary on Eurosport

I initially found him annoying but he grew on me and now I look forward to his mad brand of jokes but more importantly how excited he gets in races...it isn't dull

He is doing Tour & Vuelta for Eurosport UK but not Giro :(
    But is covering Giro ...must be the cycling subscription channel or Eurosport International (but would they do 2 different commentaries in English??)

Can you get both Eurosport international and Eurosport UK in UK ???

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

MPFG wrote: »
    I wonder what people think of Carlton Kirby's cycling commentary on Eurosport

This guy knows more about cycling than Kirby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

But Carlton does have an expert by his side to steer him and I prefer him to Robert Hatch who over pronounces Italian/Spanish riders names in a pseudo accent.....like Michelle Scarponi....that drives me insane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The lad who does the UCI Channel stuff insists on saying "aero skis" instead of "aero bars".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

He annoys the hell out of me; surprised he leaves the house as he seems to find danger everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

I prefer Rob Hatch & Matt Stephens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

I dunno, I like him. He's no Phil Liggett but he does the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

Robert Hatch who over pronounces Italian/Spanish riders names in a pseudo accent.....like Michelle Scarponi....that drives me insane

Yes!! Me too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

He's no Phil Liggett but he does the job.
    I've run at that sentence from a number of angles and I still can't come to terms with it.

Maybe it will be Quigley and King Kelly for the Giro on Eurosport.......I can live with that (prefer Kirby/Kelly) but it could be an all Irish cast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

I thought Declan Quigley did a good job for Eurosport on the Giro last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

Lumen wrote: »
    I've run at that sentence from a number of angles and I still can't come to terms with it.

Ooops looks like my secret is out :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

But Carlton does have an expert by his side to steer him and I prefer him to Robert Hatch who over pronounces Italian/Spanish riders names in a pseudo accent.....like Michelle Scarponi....that drives me insane
    Yes!! Me too!

Sorry if you think I'm being a pendant..............but Hatch is right in his pronunciation and it says more about his detractors than about him if you have an issue. If he is fluent and familiar with correct Spanish/Italian/French pronunciation, he cannot but pronounce things correctly.

When you think about it properly, do you actually do anything else yourself? Do you not balk at a Brit calling it Drock-eeda, instead of Drogheda, or an American saying Oma-hony and not O'Mahoney?

Likewise, the mountains in Northern India are the Hi-mall-yas if you pronounce it as an person from India would, not the Him-a-lay-az, as we would say. OK, so you're not going to hear it said correctly too often in these parts, but should you really criticise Hatch for being right.......?

I'm all for correct pronounciation :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Sorry if you think I'm being a pendant..............but Hatch is right in his pronunciation and it says more about his detractors than about him if you have an issue. If he is fluent and familiar with correct Spanish/Italian/French pronunciation, he cannot but pronounce things correctly.

When you think about it properly, do you actually do anything else yourself? Do you not balk at a Brit calling it Drock-eeda, instead of Drogheda, or an American saying Oma-hony and not O'Mahoney?

Likewise, the mountains in Northern India are the Hi-mall-yas if you pronounce it as an person from India would, not the Him-a-lay-az, as we would say. OK, so you're not going to hear it said correctly too often in these parts, but should you really criticise Hatch for being right.......?

Ditto for pronunciations of cities such as Beijing and Shanghai. I cringe at hearing foreigners pronouncing them Bay-zhing and Shang-hi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

That Brian "smithy" Smith does my head in seriously his accent is painfully irritating. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Prefer Kelly and Harmon but Carlton's absolutely fine in my book. Didn't really take to Declan Quigley last year but maybe another GT with him would help.

Carlton and Kelly are doing the Classics, the Tour and the Vuelta. Carlton will be covering the Giro for USA eurosport, so you still might see him around when the Giro comes here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I wasn't a huge fan of David Harmon... until Carlton Kirby arrived on the scene.... but I do prefer either of them by a country mile compared to Rob Hatch or Brian Smith. I think I'd listen to Italian commentators before I'd listen to Brian Smith!!

The main thing is that Sean Kelly is on the air :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Ditto for pronunciations of cities such as Beijing and Shanghai. I cringe at hearing foreigners pronouncing them Bay-zhing and Shang-hi.

No. Chile is Chilly not Cheellaayyyy, unless you're Cheeeleeaaeeyyan

Classement is Class-ih-mint.

Peloton .... Pel-ih-thone

A Belgian is a Belgium. The plural is Belgiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

No. Chile is Chilly not Cheellaayyyy, unless you're Cheeeleeaaeeyyan

Classement is Class-ih-mint.

Peloton .... Pel-ih-thone

A Belgian is a Belgium. The plural is Belgiums.

Bone-if-ickay-shun.

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

Firstly I said I objected to his over pronunication of names in a psuedo accent

I do not for instance while speaking in English say Paris in a French accent dropping the S ( as a French speaker would say it even though I speak French) nor do I put on a German accent to say Munich ...Hatch does this for Scarponi to mention just one There are many instances on TV now of presenters saying for example Mumbai in an Indian accent while saying Rome in an English accent ?

There is a difference between correct pronunciation and changing the language

Secondly Hatch is not a native of Italy so making that comparison with the person from India who pronounces Hi-mall-yas is not a valid comparison

Thirdly it says more for you that you cannot take on board that this is an opinion on a commentator who is paid to speak on TV and does not need the condescension "it says more for his detractors" or "do you actually do anything else yourself" I am not paid to speak on TV so how I pronounce words is neither here nor there

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I hate it when commentators pronounced An Post - Chain Reaction correctly.

Look at them being all fancy and adopting airs and graces by pronouncing it as "On Pust" rather than saying "An Post"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I quite like Carlton, his commentary is decent.

I can't tell the difference between Kirby and Harmon's voices. I have to wait to be told which one it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Just think what might happen if they started pronouncing place names properly on the forthcoming giro.

Bollfast

Nurey

Drawhadda

Balruddery

Dubbelin

To be clear - are people suggesting that even though Hatch knows what the correct pronunciation of Italian names is, he should deliberately mispronounce them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

To be clear - are people suggesting that even though Hatch knows what the correct pronunciation of Italian names is, he should deliberately mispronounce them?
    Then should Kirby make more effort TO pronounce them correctly if, as is suggested here, is is currently pronouncing them incorrectly?
    Was just saying I find it annoying - if others don't, then fair enough

Correct pronunciation is the least of Kirby's problems.

I'm just bemused that people would have a problem with someone pronouncing something correctly.

No !
    Say Mitchelle Scarponi correctly (and other names) without in the middle of speaking English put on an Italian accent and say
    M-I-T-C-H-E-L-L-E S-C-A-R-P-ON-I over emphasizing every syllable in a loud voice , while returning to a normal English voice for the rest of the sentence
    Why ????

It like turning into michael o muircheartaigh every time you say an Irish word in the middle of speaking English

So the correct way to say "Scarponi" in English is not to say it how an Italian would?

Does this apply to all languages? Should English commentators also deliberately mispronounce Irish words?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

This thread is really triggering my social anxiety about the correct way to ask for a croissant.

FCUK IT I'LL HAVE A BAP INSTEAD.

• Advertisement

Just don't ask for a panino. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

niceonetom wrote: »

It's called a blaa! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I can't tell the difference between Kirby and Harmon's voices. I have to wait to be told which one it is.

I thought that was just me. I find both of them grand anyway, don't have a problem with them.

So the correct way to say "Scarponi" in English is not to say it how an Italian would?

Does this apply to all languages? Should English commentators also deliberately mispronounce Irish words?

I haven't said anything about advocating the mispronunciation of a language

If for instance I am describing a holiday in France I don't in the middle of speaking in English put on a French accent, a loud voice and an over the top French persona when saying a French place name like say Bagnères-de-Luchon

This is what Hatch does and it is very annoying ........I personally think he is showing off and it has nothing to do with correct pronunciation
    However I think I have done this point to death

Still loving Carlton Kirby :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

If for instance I am describing a holiday in France I don't in the middle of speaking in English put on a French accent, a loud voice and an over the top French persona when saying a French place name like say Bagnères-de-Luchon

This is what Hatch does and it is very annoying ........I personally think he is showing off and it has nothing to do with correct pronunciation
    However I think I have done this point to death

Still loving Carlton Kirby :D

You are correct about Rob Hatch and Italian names. He pronounces some correctly but not all and it just seems like he is trying too hard.
    It does not bother me and I quite enjoy his and Matt Stephens commentary.

Carlton Kirby has grown on me and I can put up with him at this stage although it is necessary to have Kelly keeping him in check.

In fairness, you pretty much have. You're attempting to avoid actually saying as much by creating artificial distinction between pronouncing something correctly and pronouncing it in a "French accent".

Mispronouncing foreign words is no big deal. Most commentators do it and few people really care. But it does make me a bit sad that people are still judged as "showing off" unless they make an effort to dumb down what they say.

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »
    This thread is really triggering my social anxiety about the correct way to ask for a croissant.

Just don't ask for a panino. ;)

What are you two doing ordering bread?

In fairness, you pretty much have. You're attempting to avoid actually saying as much by creating artificial distinction between pronouncing something correctly and pronouncing it in a "French accent".

Mispronouncing foreign words is no big deal. Most commentators do it and few people really care. But it does make me a bit sad that people are still judged as "showing off" unless they make an effort to dumb down what they say.

WELL in fairness I should know the point I am making and it is not about pronunciation per se ....and this being a opinion forum you can be sad all you like with what I see as a valid point.

However you strike me as the kind of person with superior insight into other views who can make a point without be patronizing ...so maybe I should just agree with you

ragazzo wrote: »
    You are correct about Rob Hatch and Italian names. He pronounces some correctly but not all and it just seems like he is trying too hard.
    It does not bother me and I quite enjoy his and Matt Stephens commentary.

I'd guess from you username that you are Italian, or at least well connected, so good to have that input.

I'm with Vlad :) These are NOT English words, so trying to get someone to prounounce them other than as they 'should' be, can never be correct, IMO. Its no big deal. I dont care if you pronounce a name correctly, but dont diss someone for trying, even if they get it wrong, and silly if not a little arrogant to ask that they 'go out of their way' to purposely pronounce it in a way that they know to be wrong. Maybe its just part of the dumbing down of society.............:(

Dumbing down , dumbing down ????? :eek:
    Who are you people ....Mary Whitehouse and her friends ??

One last time
    It is not about how he pronounces the word/name etc ...I don't care (unlike you Mary Whitehouse people) if he is correct or not

What get on my t**ts is the pseudo personna and accent and the over stressing of ever syllabus as if to say ....look how great am I at pronouncing this name

M-I-T-C-H-E-L-L-E S-C-A-R-P-O-N-I

The reverse snobbery of sneering at someone for making an effort is as distasteful as the snobbery of judging them for not being able to pronounce foreign names.

• Advertisement

The reverse snobbery of sneering at someone for making an effort is as distasteful as the snobbery of judging them for not being able to pronounce foreign names.

This is an opinion forum where people pass judgement on all commentators, cyclists, etc all the time including on what we like and don't like about them
    You are not slow to pass judgement on Carlton Kirby including comparing him to a figure of fun - Alan Patridge

But someone expressing an opinion on a commentators performance on air and you call it snobbery and sneering......( like you are not sneering at Carlton Kirby) and everyone else isn't at some stage on this forum

But if you can't argue a point without name calling and insults then .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

nor do I put on a German accent to say Munich

What about when you say München?

What would Steve McClaren do?

This is an opinion forum where people pass judgement on all commentators, cyclists, etc all the time inc....

Correct. And you're perfectly entitled to say you find my opinion that Kirby doesn't know much about cycling distasteful. I won't be offended. Honest. :)

Correct. And you're perfectly entitled to say you find my opinion that Kirby doesn't know much about cycling distasteful. I won't be offended. Honest. :)

Ha ha

Well I don't actually find it offensive to be honest ......kinda spot on :o

let-s-go-poke-it-with-a-stick.american-apparel-unisex-fitted-tee.ash-white-stripe.w760h760.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

They're all bollocks except for Declan Quigley and Sean Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I posted this sometime last year about our Carlton.

He certainly communicates a love and enthusiasm for the sport. He rambles on a bit and sometimes loses track which is somewhat endearing. I like the way he comes close to getting a heart attack whenever there's a sprint. He even gets a giggle out of our Séan from time to time and if Séan has something important to say, he let's him say it rather than cutting across him. I like him.

Quigley does a good job too. Maybe the dream team would be a Quigley-Kirby-Kelly combo. Kirby would have to do the sprints live with perhaps Quigley doing the replays so that we could find out what actually happened. They could swap around during the earlier parts of the race as they liked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Quigley does a good job too
    Ah now, he's OK if you want to know about the cycling.

Not so much if you're tuning in for castle porn and insights about that funny time he met a German somewhere and so on and so forth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Lumen wrote: »
    Ah now, he's OK if you want to know about the cycling.

Not so much if you're tuning in for castle porn and insights about that funny time he met a German somewhere and so on and so forth.

David Duffield was the king of filling airtime with trivia and nonsense stories. Himself and Roche will always be the dream team for me, especially because Roche used to always leggit at the end to promote cheese. That's classy.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
Advertisement