Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic truck insurance

Options
  • 28-07-2005 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

hi ,

i've got a big dilemma on my hands , me and my father want to buy a classic truck (rigid) to transport vintage tractor's to at most 3-4 shows a year ,as well as show it in time when it's painted etc.. a volvo F6 .

But we have tried the I.V.S and they won't insure us , as were carrying a load .
    and other insurance company's are saying we need to be a private limited comp. to insure a commercial vehicle .

IS there ANYONE in ireland , who can do insurance to cater for our need :confused:

We are Just about to buy the truck , but cannot if we can't get the issue of insurance out of the way .

It's a pain in the arse because , it would be used as i said 3-4 times in summer ,then parked up for the rest of the year .

Could ANYONE help us out ?

any information very much appreciated :)

John :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

Thats strange, I would have thought that it would be no problem to get classic insurance on a truck ?!
    .......there were certaintly plenty of classic trucks at the Fingal Show last Sunday - many with tractors onboard!
    (Although, many were N.I registered trucks - classic ins may be easier to obtain in the UK?!)

Have you tried the insurance brokers and companies in my 'sticky' listing at the top of this forum ?

Alternatively, I would suggest that you contact some clubs/classic truck owners for advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

All I can say to help you out is to give my insurance brokers a ring - I have always found them very flexable and understanding in my years with them.
    I have several classic cars insured with them - but I don't know what their attitude is to classic trucks with loads. They seem well connected to the classic insurance scene though so give them a call :)

Gogans Insurances Ltd
    tel .........01 2990299
    Fax........ 01 2990298
    email...... info@gogans.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fanai

hi ,

i've got a big dilemma on my hands , me and my father want to buy a classic truck (rigid) to transport vintage tractor's to at most 3-4 shows a year ,as well as show it in time when it's painted etc.. a volvo F6 .

But we have tried the I.V.S and they won't insure us , as were carrying a load .
    and other insurance company's are saying we need to be a private limited comp. to insure a commercial vehicle .

IS there ANYONE in ireland , who can do insurance to cater for our need :confused:

We are Just about to buy the truck , but cannot if we can't get the issue of insurance out of the way .

It's a pain in the arse because , it would be used as i said 3-4 times in summer ,then parked up for the rest of the year .

Could ANYONE help us out ?

any information very much appreciated :)

John :rolleyes:

Well John, I would say 'that carrying a load, whatever it is, on a NON-COMMERCIAL i.e. PRIVATE basis' is maybe an eye opener :( for the I.V.S. and the other reluctant insurers..?

The Vintage Military Trucks have the same issue...:o

Best of luck!

Fanai

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

9 year old thread dredge!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

new record?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Still topical though... and would tie in with the whole DOE thing, if its registered vin/vet is it still a commercial vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fanai

:) Well, you will have 'normally' in your insurance policy stated 'Not for Commercial Use' or something equivalent and carrying goods/persons for Private Use shouldn't be a problem...:dizzy:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

I wonder did the OP the insurance sorted after all?

'Autoline' in N.I. may be able to sort him out..they appear to be more 'open' to all sorts of classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

dead but wont lie down

Advertisement