Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 34: Takeaway style sweet'n'sour chicken balls with fried rice

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Can put up recipes for szechuan or satay sauce if you want - both have added sugar, but a lot less than the sweet and sour.

I think I'm going to try a curry sauce, but if you had time to put those recipes up at some stage, it would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I was going to suggest curry sauce! It's what I turned to after a few scoops watching the matches yesterday.

So good/sooo bad

I forgot to take a picture, but I just made this tonight. I made a sugarless curry sauce from the BBC which was really tasty and worked well. I also left out the sugar from the batter.

I found it to be an immensely satisfying meal! I'm sitting on the couch now feeling great after it, much better than after a typical Chinese takeaway. The batter was lovely and crispy, not half as stodgy and doughy as a takeaway. The rice worked really well - I used groundnut oil, and I did need way more soy sauce than stated.

Excellent recipe overall, and one I'll definitely make again!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

That looks really nice. Any chance of a recipe that's not sweet and sour?

Thanks

JOSman wrote: »
    That looks really nice. Any chance of a recipe that's not sweet and sour?

Thanks

I don't know if that question is aimed at me or Padraig, but this is the curry sauce I used instead of sweet and sour.

• Advertisement

Thanks Faith,

I definitely give the curry a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I was trying to reply yesterday but I think the touch site was acting up as computer kept saying no! Anyway (bit late for you Faith!), I was going to suggest jassha's Chinese recipe thread on this forum - here's his (large batch) curry recipe. No sugar needed either. Haven't tried it but I bet it's tasty (and ridiculously unhealthy)!

Hi Padraig Mor,

I looked at the curry recipe on this site and even tried it. With that much oil in it I was afraid to eat it. Hoping for a sauce without any or little oil.

Am going to try Faith's recipe.

Love tasty food.

Thanks for your reply.

BTW I forgot to mention in my OP that the recipe is from Kenny McGovern's The Takeaway Secret (Amazon link - available on Kindle for £1). Here's the szechuan and satay recipes from the same book, slightly adapted (haven't tried either).

Szechuan sauce (makes 2)
    2 tablespoons pure apple juice
    ½ teaspoon Worcester sauce
    1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
    1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
    ½ tablespoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 dried chilli pepper, crushed
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    1 x 2.5 cm/1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons water

1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
    1 x 2.5 cm/1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    1 onion, chopped 

1. In a bowl, combine the apple juice, Worcester sauce, Tabasco sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, dried chilli, cayenne pepper, finely chopped ginger and water. Mix thoroughly and set aside.

2. Heat a wok or frying pan to a high heat. Add a little vegetable oil.

3. Add the chopped garlic and ginger, green pepper and onion to the pan and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes.

4. Pour in the prepared Szechuan sauce. Mix well and cook for a further 1–2 minutes or until the sauce just begins to thicken.

Satay sauce (serves 2)
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    ½ small onion, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon mild Madras curry powder
    3 tablespoons peanut butter
    2 teaspoons soy sauce
    200 ml/7 fl oz coconut milk
    75 ml/2½ fl oz water
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    Pinch of dried chilli flakes

In a small saucepan or frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over a low-medium heat. Add the chopped onion and stir fry for 1–2 minutes until just beginning to soften.

Add the curry powder and stir-fry for 1 minute.

Add the peanut butter and stir-fry for another minute until beginning to melt.

Add the soy sauce, coconut milk, water, brown sugar and dried chilli flakes. Bring to the boil then simmer on a low heat until the sauce is combined and the desired consistency is reached. Remove from the heat and set aside. The sauce will thicken upon cooling and can be reheated when needed, adding a little water if necessary.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

For the satay, what brand of "mild madras curry powder" does the book mention? or does it?

• Advertisement

For the satay, what brand of "mild madras curry powder" does the book mention? or does it?

It doesn't. But given the small amount, I'd imagine pretty much any medium curry powder would be fine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I have a recipe for sweet and sour that uses lemon juice if anybody wants it?

Might as well throw it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I found this recipe a little too 'light' and 'fresh'. I like my stir fries to be greasy and have a snap of vinegar and pineapple.

I'm practically going to copy and paste it here, so I apologise for the spellings.

Ingredients

275 grammes chinese egg noodles

2 tbsp vegetable oil

three spring onions, chopped

One garlic clove, crushed.

One inch fresh root ginger, peeled and grated.

One tsp hot paprika

One tsp ground coriander

Three chicken breasts, diced.

115g sugar snap peas, topped and tailed.

115g baby sweet corn, halved.

225g beansprouts

One tbsp cornflour

three tbsp soy sauce

3tbsp lemon juice

1tbsp sugar

salt

45ml chopped fresh coriander to Garnish.

Directions:

1) Cook the noodles and drain.

2) heat oil in wok ( found frying pan too large). Cook spring onions over gentle heat. Mox garlic and spices and chicken and stir fry for 3-4 minutes.

3) Add peas, baby sweetcorn and bean sprouts. Cover And cook briefly. Add the noodles.

4) Combine cornflour, soy sauce, lemon juice and sugar in a small bowl. Add to wok and simmer until thickened. serve immediately and throw the chopped coriander on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I realise this recipe is a bit old so apologies if I'm not doing this thing right!

But thanks OP! I veganized it by making beer-battered seitan balls and fried rice without egg...........

tfU4Swj.jpg

tastes like the real thing to me, thanks for the recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I am always cooking this in this forum and forgetting to leave feedback :o

This was so delicious. The chicken balls were lovely, different than the doughy ones from the takeaway but not in a bad way at all. I loved the rice with peas and spring onions through it. Best sweet and sour sauce I ever had too, I added red onion, red pepper and pineapple to mine :D

I am always cooking this in this forum and forgetting to leave feedback :o

This was so delicious. The chicken balls were lovely, different than the doughy ones from the takeaway but not in a bad way at all. I loved the rice with peas and spring onions through it. Best sweet and sour sauce I ever had too, I added red onion, red pepper and pineapple to mine :D

Thanks PP!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Finally got around to making this, its delicious. Thought it was a bit too sweet so I added more vinegar to make it sharper

Qz6FiPN.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

My oh made this last week but we had a beef stir fry instead of chicken balls, as we didn't have a wok to deep fry nor do we have a deep fat fryer so we got a wok yesterday and today he made it again and all I can say is: oh. My. God. It was absolutely fantastic. I don't have a photo of the chicken balls because it was gobbled so fast but holy moly, it's so damned good and will now be a staple naughty dinner in this house!! Thanks OP

7n5UAQ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Made this yesterday for the family, managed to get a photo before it was all devoured ! Everyone couldn't believe how much it tasted like it was from a takeaway.

Thanks ! Definitely will be making this again !

chickenballs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,067 ✭✭✭Mech1

:D just a post to make me remember:D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Roald Dahl

So, this was our Friday night takeaway!

Fantastic! Well done, Padraig Mor.

This is what it turned out like. The front plate was done with chicken and the one behind with prawns.

CC-2013-34-Takeaway-Style-Sweet-and-Sour-Chicken-Balls-with-Fried-Fice.jpg

I found that I needed only a small amount of the batter mix.

Excellent recipe. Thank you for putting it up!

The salad over to the side is from 2011 Week 18.

Advertisement