Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

20 staff laid off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Some of the weekend schedule and the presenters supposed to be dropped continued as usual yesterday and today. Yesterday: Richie Ryan with Stadium Rock. Today: Sinead with Carraig Crua, Dee Reddy and Jack Hyland with Stadium Rock. I wasn't listening all the time so there could be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Phantom's approach of taking whatever new Jake Bugg or Elbow single they get sent by a promo company, sticking it on the playlist for 6 weeks, and playing once every 2 hours from 7am-7pm Mon-Fri is pretty much the opposite of what I would like in a radio station.

This for me was their demise. Although they seemed to mix it up a while back, this time 12 months ago the station was horrendously repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Some of the weekend schedule and the presenters supposed to be dropped continued as usual yesterday and today. Yesterday: Richie Ryan with Stadium Rock. Today: Sinead with Carraig Crua, Dee Reddy and Jack Hyland with Stadium Rock. I wasn't listening all the time so there could be more.
    the reports on Friday said a month's notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Says it all that Joe Donnelly is one of those saved. His breakfast show and presentation style sums up everything that's gone wrong with the station the last three years.

the reports on Friday said a month's notice.

Of course you're right. I should have considered that possibility!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Srobify

Says it all that Joe Donnelly is one of those saved. His breakfast show and presentation style sums up everything that's gone wrong with the station the last three years.

I would guess Joe is being kept on because he might have a communicorp
    contract.
    He was a producer on Newstalk after the spin days.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

I would imagine that the reason the three day time presenters were retained, is because they got most of the listeners during those times and didn't want to shake up the schedule/presenters. I think that you get most advertising revenue from daytime listening, hence why these three shows are left alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Shame what it has become, and that seemed to bury anyone with any talent in poor time slots and leave Joe and Keith on for years unchallenged.

The fact that you can't get a decent signal 50KM outside of Dublin is laughable also in this day and age, so haven't been listening since leaving Dublin a few months back, It's gas we used get a better signal here when they were a pirate outfit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

I've just read online that it's going to be relaunched as 'XFM- Dublin' next month.

room_149 wrote: »
    I've just read online that it's going to be relaunched as 'XFM- Dublin' next month.

Will that mean they get to play more or less kings of leon then ? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

We already have one of them http://xfmdublin.com/blog/

calex71 wrote: »
    Shame what it has become, and that seemed to bury anyone with any talent in poor time slots and leave Joe and Keith on for years unchallenged.

The fact that you can't get a decent signal 50KM outside of Dublin is laughable also in this day and age, so haven't been listening since leaving Dublin a few months back, It's gas we used get a better signal here when they were a pirate outfit :pac:

I regularly travel from Dublin to Galway/Cork through work and have been able to pick up Phantom FM as far west as Ballinasloe & as far south as Tullamore. Both are further than 50km from town

I regularly travel from Dublin to Galway/Cork through work and have been able to pick up Phantom FM as far west as Ballinasloe & as far south as Tullamore. Both are further than 50km from town

Ah I can get it in Drogheda just a very poor signal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I travel around the country a fair bit and I know from experience that Phantom loses signal south of Blessington, but if you go straight west you can pick it up until you pass Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

The 2 Richie's were making smart comments and innuendo all evening, good stuff outta them.

I can get the radio signal in Mullingar, but it is far weaker than say Nova. Also the Nova app has way better sound from it, just other ways Phantom lost its way.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I travel around the country a fair bit and I know from experience that Phantom loses signal south of Blessington, but if you go straight west you can pick it up until you pass Athlone.
    infacteh wrote: »
    The 2 Richie's were making smart comments and innuendo all evening, good stuff outta them.

I can get the radio signal in Mullingar, but it is far weaker than say Nova. Also the Nova app has way better sound from it, just other ways Phantom lost its way.....

Ye can travel where ye want now without worrying about it tbh.

infacteh wrote: »

I was listening to that- :D
    Going to miss that pair in the evenings.

keith16 wrote: »
    Ye can travel where ye want now without worrying about it tbh.
    Ah hear..
    Is that you Keith Walsh ;)?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Listening to The Lounge with Derek Byrne at the moment. Top notch stuff. Really gonna miss this along with Richie and Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Listening to The Lounge with Derek Byrne at the moment. Top notch stuff. Really gonna miss this along with Richie and Richie
    yep, probably my favourite show on radio.

• Advertisement

From the Radio Forum earlier tonight
    paulbok wrote: »
    I heard Claire Beck this evening on about her last show for phantom, I wonder what has changed?

Claire, if you remember, is supposed to be one of the staff who was saved. Perhaps she decided this was a good a time as any to move on, rather than stay in an atmosphere of intrigue and uncertainty. Maybe she has managed to save someone else's job by so doing.

I don't know - what does anyone else think?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

"A statement released to The Irish Times said TXFM would retain its own targets, budgets and “market ambitions” and would work in “greater unison with Today FM”...."

Not too sure what to make of that statement to be honest.

From the Radio Forum earlier tonight

Claire, if you remember, is supposed to be one of the staff who was saved. Perhaps she decided this was a good a time as any to move on, rather than stay in an atmosphere of intrigue and uncertainty. Maybe she has managed to save someone else's job by so doing.

I don't know - what does anyone else think?

It's her last show tonight. I thought she did a decent job in the evenings since starting there a couple of years back & will tune in to wish her well for the future.
    If what you speculate is true regarding her leaving to create a space for someone, then that would indeed be very noble of her in the extreme.

Id only wish the Joe Donnelly lad would do the decent thing and go back to his home planet of Gob****e Prime aka Daytime middle of the Road radio for housewives, cats & mentally unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭paulbok

In the style of Joe & Keith, #savetheritchies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Can we officially say at this point that every fan of Phantom hates Joe and Keith?

I don't think I've ever met anyone who was a fan of their show

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Srobify

Can we officially say at this point that every fan of Phantom hates Joe and Keith?

I liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Junk Adele

I have listened even before Phantom was Phantom. when Simon was in a shed in Ballybrack. I have told people from various countries to listen to Phantom. I am now embarrassed .
    I have now realised that Phantom has to Die.
    If we keep listening, it's a false loyalty. We love what they were, they aren't that now. We are older, they are dead. Do not tune in any more because, you (we) are greasing the Machine. Phantom is Dead! Let's kill Phantom.
    It hurts me, but there you go.
    To all the the people like Me and me Mates, and you lot in Raheny, Firhouse, ballybrack, and all around the world...."
    Phantom is Dead
    Long live Phantom.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Junk Adele

P.S.
    Why should you show your loyalty to a shower of.... who don't care about you?

• Advertisement

Pretty unscientific stuff here now, but Id wager the percentage that didn't like them or their show was in the 85-89% range.
    My 'sample study' was taken from work colleagues, friends, family, dogs, cats & acquaintances in the real world (and online) who are/were Phantom listeners!!

Advertisement