Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

calling all paintball teams

• 27-12-2012 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey just wondering is there any paintball teams or clubs in ireland?

i have a idea if there is any :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

tcac wrote: »

Grand total of players is probably around 40, and thats across the two major disciplines. Check out Paintballer.ie. Its quiet this time of year.

Whats your idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

tcac wrote: »

I played on the Irish team last year ! There a few knocking round what ya got in mind

tcac, got your PM. Looks like a really nice venue. However by the looks of it your targeting airsoft. Two problems that could be deal breakers:

1) Insurance - Your taking 13 joules+ for paintball as opposed to 1 joule in airsoft. I know for a fact that paintball and airsoft insurance are two very different kettles of fish regardless of waivers. You may need to take out extra cover even for a private game.

2) Air - Paintball markers need 3000psi+ air systems to run for any length of time. Unlike airsoft where a battery lasts perhaps 2000+ rounds, your probably taking absolute max of 1000 shots from an air tank, and thats being optimistic in my eyes. You'd need access to scuba tanks (Very tricky to use) or a portable air system (Fairly expensive)

The only other two I could think of watching the video was the mess paint causes (Not a huge deal, but it does leave a stink after a while) and close quaters. You can't play paintball at the close distances as in airsoft. The pain is just too great. For this reason few CQB sites exist for paintball.

Lastly, green fee's. If your looking to make money from it, I'd stop now. While there are some genuinely great lads in the community, its not a big community at the moment. The cost is prohibitive for most as I see it. You may get 20 or so players, maybe more if the woodsball league takes off again.

All that said, I'd suggest you put a post on Paintballer.ie, include the video and see what happens. Wish you all the best with it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Might be worthwhile having a chat with a current paintball site operator.

It may also be worth noting that in the past, sites catering to both airsoft and paintball have not survived (though I'm not saying that's the reason why). It may be worthwhile having a chat with these previous operators if it's a route you're thinking of pursuing. (You can get the contact details for them them over in the airsoft sites sub forum. One was located in Bray.)

Edit: I said worth/worthwhile way too many times in that post...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paintkillers

new team start;) base in dublin
    http://paintkillers.pro (website in progress)
    https://www.facebook.com/paintkillers.pro

• Advertisement

new team start;) base in dublin
    http://paintkillers.pro (website in progress)
    https://www.facebook.com/paintkillers.pro

Just read there:
    2. Players MUST own their own equipment.

How are you guys and girls fixed for getting licenses? You do realise a paintball marker needs a full firearms license? Been a while since I was in the loop but I still have industry ties and I don't recall there being any change in legislation. If anything, its got harder even for sites.

still a need for licenses:) nothing has changed. my self just leave marker in the friendly club who has a license;p it works for me

still a need for licenses:) nothing has changed. my self just leave marker in the friendly club who has a license;p it works for me

Bit of a grey area there. You still need a license yourself to 'own' a paintball marker. The club / field is licensed to hold a set number of markers and paintballs (Its stupid I know) and they should have a record of all serial numbers. Having your marker there is a no-no. It would be the equivalent to a gun club being unable to clarify who owns a shotgun / rifle. In most cases, if someone wants to leave a gun at a club, they still need authorisation to hold it themselves and the club has an extension in their license and insurance to have it on the premises. Some guns (e.g. Pistols / High calibre) can only be held / used at a club but the owner still needs a license for the firearm. This is why many 'exotic' firearms are held by clubs and rented out for a days shooting under their supervision. The caveat is they cannot leave the club premises / have to be used under the direct supervision of the license holder.

That was my understanding a few years ago and from speaking with colleagues in the gun club world. Unfortunately its a ludicrous situation but the penalties are very real and serious.

From myself a few years back: http://www.paintballer.ie/forum/threads/firearms-awareness-day-2010-june-16th.11777/

Best of luck with the venture. Hope you get a decent pool of players going as its been really quiet the past few years.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Bit of a grey area there. You still need a license yourself to 'own' a paintball marker. The club / field is licensed to hold a set number of markers and paintballs (Its stupid I know) and they should have a record of all serial numbers. Having your marker there is a no-no. It would be the equivalent to a gun club being unable to clarify who owns a shotgun / rifle. In most cases, if someone wants to leave a gun at a club, they still need authorisation to hold it themselves and the club has an extension in their license and insurance to have it on the premises. Some guns (e.g. Pistols / High calibre) can only be held / used at a club but the owner still needs a license for the firearm. This is why many 'exotic' firearms are held by clubs and rented out for a days shooting under their supervision. The caveat is they cannot leave the club premises / have to be used under the direct supervision of the license holder.

That was my understanding a few years ago and from speaking with colleagues in the gun club world. Unfortunately its a ludicrous situation but the penalties are very real and serious.

From myself a few years back: http://www.paintballer.ie/forum/threads/firearms-awareness-day-2010-june-16th.11777/

Best of luck with the venture. Hope you get a decent pool of players going as its been really quiet the past few years.

Four years later and your still preaching this **** trying to knock a team down befor it starts , no one listened to u then and there not now .

5 years I played and only ever seen you there with your white mask taking pics .

So leave it out !!

TriggerPL wrote: »
    Four years later and your still preaching this **** trying to knock a team down befor it starts , no one listened to u then and there not now .

5 years I played and only ever seen you there with your white mask taking pics .

So leave it out !!

Please contact me on pm:)

• Advertisement

So leave it out !!

None of what I posted is 'knocking it down' In fact I wholly encourage any team in Ireland but by the same token, given my previous work in the industry, I like to tell people the legal implications of it. I shoot both paintball and real steel myself, and I've worked for over 6 years in the Irish paintball industry. I've met Firearms Officers and got through all the paperwork motions for more than one site. I was part of the team that tried to get a Paintball Soc into UCD and almost got expelled for the hassle. Unfortunately, due to time and work commitments (Yeap, most people want to play Paintball on the weekends) I rarely made it to any Irish IPL's / Speedball Days. But I did play with many of the lads from Paintballer.

As for the 'white mask' comment, I was at a training day in January 2011 (The same day that photo was taken) and couldn't play due to an ankle injury, but called up anyway to see some friends and snap some pics. Shortly afterwards, I believe Barrage ceased to operate and I never got back into it by the time Capital started back up.

I was often asked in work about getting into teams and playing, and I always directed them to Paintballer.ie (Riche et al) But I always explained the legal stance on the markers, which is exactly what I've done here. I never, ever told anyone 'Don't bother. Or its too much hassle' but it would be wrong in my opinion to gloss over the reality. Remember, Airsofters have had guns confiscated and destroyed (And they are 1J, not 13) The importers of Airsoft devices need fully licensed premises as when they come into the country they are sometimes 'hot' and have to be brought down to 1J. So, imagine how a paintball marker would be viewed.

All it takes (And I'm not directing this to anyone on this thread) is one muppet with a Tippmann 98 to start a game in the middle of a local GAA pitch and they'll come down hard and heavy on the next person they catch. Its a serious firearms offence and you can be prosecuted. That said, its entirely possible (Depending on your local Super) to get authorisation. Many have done so. But the set up of leaving an unlicensed marker (A firearm) in what is effectively in the eyes of the law a gun club is a No-No by my understanding of current legislation. I was merely pointing that out.

TriggerPL, would appreciate if you didn't make it personal. I'm not knocking paintball. Just because you haven't seen me doesn't mean my opinion is any less valid that yours. If you want to see me, drop me a PM and I'd be happy to explain who I am.

ironclaw wrote: »
    None of what I posted is 'knocking it down' In fact I wholly encourage any team in Ireland but by the same token, given my previous work in the industry, I like to tell people the legal implications of it. I shoot both paintball and real steel myself, and I've worked for over 6 years in the Irish paintball industry. I've met Firearms Officers and got through all the paperwork motions for more than one site. I was part of the team that tried to get a Paintball Soc into UCD and almost got expelled for the hassle. Unfortunately, due to time and work commitments (Yeap, most people want to play Paintball on the weekends) I rarely made it to any Irish IPL's / Speedball Days. But I did play with many of the lads from Paintballer.

As for the 'white mask' comment, I was at a training day in January 2011 (The same day that photo was taken) and couldn't play due to an ankle injury, but called up anyway to see some friends and snap some pics. Shortly afterwards, I believe Barrage ceased to operate and I never got back into it by the time Capital started back up.

I was often asked in work about getting into teams and playing, and I always directed them to Paintballer.ie (Riche et al) But I always explained the legal stance on the markers, which is exactly what I've done here. I never, ever told anyone 'Don't bother. Or its too much hassle' but it would be wrong in my opinion to gloss over the reality. Remember, Airsofters have had guns confiscated and destroyed (And they are 1J, not 13) The importers of Airsoft devices need fully licensed premises as when they come into the country they are sometimes 'hot' and have to be brought down to 1J. So, imagine how a paintball marker would be viewed.

All it takes (And I'm not directing this to anyone on this thread) is one muppet with a Tippmann 98 to start a game in the middle of a local GAA pitch and they'll come down hard and heavy on the next person they catch. Its a serious firearms offence and you can be prosecuted. That said, its entirely possible (Depending on your local Super) to get authorisation. Many have done so. But the set up of leaving an unlicensed marker (A firearm) in what is effectively in the eyes of the law a gun club is a No-No by my understanding of current legislation. I was merely pointing that out.

TriggerPL, would appreciate if you didn't make it personal. I'm not knocking paintball. Just because you haven't seen me doesn't mean my opinion is any less valid that yours. If you want to see me, drop me a PM and I'd be happy to explain who I am.

I know exactly who you are , ya need to explain nothing !!

I know exactly who you are , ya need to explain nothing !!

PM me. I'm interested because I don't recall ever meeting yourself :confused: Just in case your confusing me, I don't own or operate (nor have I ever) a site anywhere in Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

TriggerPL, take it easy there. Attack the post, not the poster, or take a break from the forum.

Thanks.

KonFusion wrote: »
    TriggerPL, take it easy there. Attack the post, not the poster, or take a break from the forum.

Thanks.

All good. Brief discussion by PM. Differing opinions but such is life, I accept that!

Advertisement