Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skangers and pedestrian crossings

Options
  • 26-02-2014 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

what is the story? they always seem to be in such a hurry at pedestrian crossings, sometimes it seems like they would rather get hit by a bus crossing them than wait an extra 5 seconds for the green man. have seen a male and female skanger cross when the man is red, force traffic to stop then roar abuse at the drivers for blowing their horns at them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jjdub1

Yes, this happens ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I've seen one lad outside phibsboro shopping centre purposely stepping out in front of on coming traffic. Looks like he's gotten smacked by a car on more than one occasion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They don't obey the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

They hardly ever wait to cross the road. Plus they always need to know the time. It's almost like an instinct that they are born with- I had to walk in between a gang of about 5 of them one late night (all drunk and carrying bottles), when one screams at me, "DOO YA HAVE THE TOOOIME?", as if he was skanger-duty-bound to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭FollatonWood

What's worse is when they've a kid in a pushchair with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

what is the story? they always seem to be in such a hurry at pedestrian crossings, sometimes it seems like they would rather get hit by a bus crossing them than wait an extra 5 seconds for the green man. have seen a male and female skanger cross when the man is red, force traffic to stop then roar abuse at the drivers for blowing their horns at them.

Have pedestrian crossing changed since I lived in Ireland? The idea used to be that traffic slows down coming up to a pedestrian crossing and stops if someone is about to cross. Respect if they cross quickly and don't hold you up for too long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What's worse is when they've a kid in a pushchair with them.

That is used for 'testing the water' so to speak.

jester77 wrote: »
    Have pedestrian crossing changed since I lived in Ireland? The idea used to be that traffic slows down coming up to a pedestrian crossing and stops if someone is about to cross. Respect if they cross quickly and don't hold you up for too long.

Well that's a pelican/zebra crossing.

There's also pedestrian crossings that usually have a red man and a pervy green man who likes to flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

There's also pedestrian crossings that usually have a red man and a pervy green man who likes to flash.

Ah, I see the little pervy green guys are back in Ireland!

Maybe the skangers are colour blind and can't distinguish between green and red, this could also explain their fashion sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Vomit wrote: »
    They hardly ever wait to cross the road. Plus they always need to know the time. It's almost like an instinct that they are born with- I had to walk in between a gang of about 5 of them one late night (all drunk and carrying bottles), when one screams at me, "DOO YA HAVE THE TOOOIME?", as if he was skanger-duty-bound to ask.

Waiting for you to pull out your nice phone to check the time I imagine ?

YOINKKK !

Perhaps they are in a hurry to obtain their drugs! A-haw-haw-haw-haw-haw!!

Tzardine wrote: »
    Waiting for you to pull out your nice phone to check the time I imagine ?

YOINKKK !

Sounds plausible..but once I was asked from a distance, from behind a big gate... maybe they just always have somewhere to be.

Vomit wrote: »
    Sounds plausible..but once I was asked from a distance, from behind a big gate... maybe they just always have somewhere to be.

They have a daily deadline to pay their dealer before their legs get broken...of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

You do know that, if you're reasonably confident they're a skanger, you're allowed to drive on and mow them down, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Pedestrian crossings are a funny thing. The tourists seem to abide by the traffic signals even if the crossing is clear, while all the Irish seem to scatter like wannabe Manhattanites, myself included. However I have seen the phenomenon of peopling walking across the road when a car is fast approaching, putting their fate into the hands of an automobile, risky business or a death wish.

People who push the button when there's no traffic coming are even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

That's a zebra crossing. A pelican crossing is the one where you press the button if you wish to cross. Name comes from PEdestrian LIght CONtrolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Erm...what or who is a skanger?

Is it something you are born with?

Do you obtain a certificate when you qualify ... skangership?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

caustic 1 wrote: »

/gets popcorn

• Advertisement

Guessing you haven't been near Dublin 1 lately.
    Depends whether yore ma was a drug addict before or after you were born.

Yeah, a social welfare card.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

In fairness, you could be waiting all day for a green man in this country. I'm with the skangers on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

A Swedish House Mafia CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Guessing you haven't been near Dublin 1 lately.

Depends whether yore ma was a drug addict before or after you were born.

Yeah, a social welfare card.

So a social welfare recipient with addict parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭joi99

Stick it to the little red man.

So a social welfare recipient with addict parents?

Na, there are a fair few qualifications to skanger-hood; the ones I listed are simply influencing factors and consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

walking out in fornt of traffic is one of the few ways they can still get a thrill from, plus if you hit them, cha-ching jacinta getting a new pair of shoes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

at the extremely busy pedestrian crossings at the junction of Dame st and Georges street, it's the other way around. I walk there twice a day and 90% of the time cars(and buses) will drive through a red light when the pedestrian light is green.
    I'm surprised nobody has gotten hit there as there's a lot of tourists who don't know to look out for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

In about two days last month while the green man was flashing i had two taxis just drive on through. About two days apart. I seen them come at a bit of speed and im thankful i didn't chance it even though they were wrong to drive through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

EyeSight wrote: »
    at the extremely busy pedestrian crossings at the junction of Dame st and Georges street, it's the other way around. I walk there twice a day and 90% of the time cars(and buses) will drive through a red light when the pedestrian light is green.
    I'm surprised nobody has gotten hit there as there's a lot of tourists who don't know to look out for it.

i have seen this happen at dame street before with a dublin bus, also people drive way to fast in the city, its 30 kph not 80:mad:

Advertisement