Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Order (PS4 Exclusive)

Options
  • 18-02-2014 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

There's finally some gameplay footage for this, from Eurogamer:

Described as a mix between a Quantic Dream game and a Naughty Dog one certainly sets the bar high. I'm usually not a fan of QTE's, but I don't have much of a problem if they're done in the branching way they say it is, instead of the "miss your button and you fail" type. It worked reasonably well in the Quantic games.

It'll be interesting to see what more vids show us.

The full Eurogamer article is here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-18-how-the-order-reinvents-qtes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's looks very brown and very gears of war to me. And QTEs or whatever the hell they are calling them as a feature? Is it 2006 again?

Could be decent but it's not exactly filling me with confidence. The setting could have been used a lot better than taking it and just filling it with guns and chest high walls.

It's looking more and more like something I probably pick up when it's a tenner in a few months and never play. One of those, it's decent but I've far too many better games to play. I'd need to see a lot more than that trailer shows to get excited.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Interesting to note that the game is employing a 2.4:1 aspect ratio and 30 FPS to very purposefully emulate the aesthetics of epic cinema. Always think the potential of different aspect ratios is regrettably ignored in gaming.

Almost unique to see this sort of presentation utilised with a deeper visual ambition in mind. Curious to see how it works in practice, although I can already imagine the frustration and confusion the widescreen presentation is going to elicit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How will that work though, will there be bordering?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Of course - the exact same way watching a 2.35:1 (or wider) film on your TV looks.

8770d1219439433-using-2-35-1-aspect-ratio-matte.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Interesting to note that the game is employing a 2.4:1 aspect ratio and 30 FPS to very purposefully emulate the aesthetics of epic cinema. Always think the potential of different aspect ratios is regrettably ignored in gaming.

Almost unique to see this sort of presentation utilised with a deeper visual ambition in mind. Curious to see how it works in practice, although I can already imagine the frustration and confusion the widescreen presentation is going to elicit.

I have also read, but cannot find a link at the moment, that they are employing a lens quality to the game during their rendering. Apparently this will give the game a grainy quality, like film.

Personally, I like the direction. Just disappointed that it won't be a co-op game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Otacon wrote: »
    Personally, I like the direction. Just disappointed that it won't be a co-op game.

I agree, said the same thing somewhere else after they announced that and got bitched at by the SP lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I don't think linear type sp games should be priced at 65quid too be honest
    unless the games like 15+ hours long or has a good reason to replay
    this game does not seem like it has a good reason to replay, it seems very story focused (judging by how they want it like a film so much)
    wouldnt mind a horde mode with warewolfs tbh :D

*hides from anti gears of war people*

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    this game does not seem like it has a good reason to replay, it seems very story focused (judging by how they want it like a film so much)

I'm pretty sure we're effectively polar opposites in what we want and expect from games, by what you've just said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I'm pretty sure we're effectively polar opposites in what we want and expect from games, by what you've just said.

so you'd pay full price for a short linear story game with no online and little replay value?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

If it's a good story and game absolutely. Much better then shoehorning multiplayer into everything and shoving in a load of collectables for no reason then to make the game seem longer then it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

*hides from anti gears of war people*

E65 - you're shopping in the wrong places.

so you'd pay full price for a short linear story game with no online and little replay value?

As above, if it's good enough absolutely. I hate tacked on online. In extreme cases, it even noticeably hurts the single player - vice versa is often true too, of course. I think its ludicrous that people expect a game to be a certain length, when absolutely every game is unique. I've played games everywhere from an hour to 100 hours long that have been perfect, and unfortunately more long, bloated ones than I care to recall. As for replayability? Bottom of the list for me when considering a purchase - I want to get the most out of it in one go, and pointless collectibles, achievements and difficulty modes (it's the rare hard mode indeed that inspires me to replay) are the epitome of filler to me.

Of course, it's very rare that I'd pay full retail price for a game, as online and sales ensure I can get most much cheaper with only a minimum of patience or effort. I try to support developers as much as I can, but it's easy to shop around and not get fleeced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

There'll be some new footage for this game at 9pm. Not sure how long it'll be, could be a trailer, some full gameplay, or just snippets like last time.

twitch.tv/playstation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This looks ok. It's from a compressed twitch stream

Well that looks as dull as I was hoping it wouldn't look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I dunno, looks pretty impressive to me. At least graphically. Never been the biggest fan of 3rd person shooters tho.

Well graphically it looks good. Everything else is old hat and done better elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I wouldn't really judge "everything" off a 2 minute video lol. Doubt it's going to be some masterpiece, more like a next gen gow.

No but if they are trying to put their best foot forward and impress people then its looking like a very dull game if what they have shown so far including that video is anything to go by.

I hope that isn't the best they can show us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No but if they are trying to put their best foot forward and impress people then its looking like a very dull game if what they have shown so far including that video is anything to go by.

I hope that isn't the best they can show us.

I'd say it's just ****ty marketing on Sony's part. Ready at Dawn didn't even know that they were showing more footage, so didn't get to choose what was shown.
    As far as I know the embargo on media previews is lifting on Tuesday so we'll get some better idea of how the gameplay actually is then.

Plus it was extremely stupid to stream it, just put it on youtube. Now we have people judging the framerate from a laggy stream, and then even worse people record the stream, then upload it to youtube where it gets compressed even further.

Don't envy Sony and Ready to Dawn trying to explain why they went with an unusual resolution and 30FPS as a stylistic decision :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Only a month away now, gonna wait for some reviews and impressions on this one, it has the potential to be really mediocre but is still holding my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It sadly reminds me of the Underworld films, especially with what seems to me to be an "Our side are the good guys...oh wait, we're actually the bad guys" vibe to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

humanji wrote: »
    It sadly reminds me of the Underworld films, especially with what seems to me to be an "Our side are the good guys...oh wait, we're actually the bad guys" vibe to it.

Yeah it really seems like that's what the story will be, I'm hoping its something else, but we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Surprised that there's zero multiplayer. With a game like this, it's usually taken as a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Surprised that there's zero multiplayer. With a game like this, it's usually taken as a given.

Honestly glad there's not. It's one of my pet peeves, that EVERY game has to have multiplayer, despite it not suiting the game at all.

Only a minor peeve though as I can obviously choose to ignore the multiplayer part...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I heard this game didn't get the warmest of welcomes. Apparently it's very short and doesn't have much re-playability to warrant another playthrough.

Mind you I have never played the game but the reception the game is after getting is okay at best. I think I'll give this one a miss, especially at the price it is being sold for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I definitely wanna play it but I'll wait till it comes down in price, I'll play it for myself and make my own opinions on it.

Advertisement