Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

what manager would completely empty the bench when your 1 point down with 5 minutes to go. fair enough we were terrible in the 2nd half but waterford fought on as they usually do, it would make it worse if u emptied the bench with 20 mins left. as another poster said we wont panic yet.. lessons will be learned.

dont you think?

Its the league, getting lads games is what it should be about in my book? Especially with so many young players in the squad. How can you tell if they are up to it if they havnt been given competitive action. We know from tonight that 2 or 3 who started arnt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

jealous of the shanahans?ha. big dan was no good either, alright in munster bring him to croke park he didnt know if he was at a concert or a hurling match. whats this city/country divide? ye in big trouble if that crap is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭taytobreath

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Its the league, getting lads games is what it should be about in my book? Especially with so many young players in the squad. How can you tell if they are up to it if they havnt been given competitive action. We know from tonight that 2 or 3 who started arnt

fair enough. but the league is the 2nd biggest tournament in the gaa fixture, surely if macgrath is gonna blood players it would be in fixtures like the crystal cup and challenge matches before the league.
    been relegated in the league would be a disaster for waterford hurling.

fair enough. but the league is the 2nd biggest tournament in the gaa fixture, surely if macgrath is gonna blood players it would be in fixtures like the crystal cup and challenge matches before the league.

Dont agree with you on that at all. Dublin and Limerick in Division 2 last year, both went on to win their respective provinces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

jealous of the shanahans?ha. big dan was no good either, alright in munster bring him to croke park he didnt know if he was at a concert or a hurling match. whats this city/country divide? ye in big trouble if that crap is going on.

Bloody hell here we go again. another troll. what is it about this board ye just seem to swarm in like flies to ****e

• Advertisement

Not at all. In the old league system yes

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Dont agree with you on that at all. Dublin and Limerick in Division 2 last year, both went on to win their respective provinces

Ok...but dont forget what it did to those teams and clare and wexford and the rest of them through out the years before that. The league is very important.

robopaddy wrote: »
    Not at all. In the old league system yes

so u think its a good thing to be playing the likes of roinn 1b coming into a championship

Ok...but dont forget what it did to those teams and clare and wexford and the rest of them through out the years before that. The league is very important.

Dont see any problem dropping down for a year or two. Arguably Clare have benefited from it two years ago too, they were able to give games to the likes of Podge Collins against lesser opposition. With a year of intercounty hurling under his belt he was really able to blossom last year

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

You are just masquerading as an outsider. You appear to have an obsession with the two Shanahans. You know very little about hurling if you say that Dan was " no good either".

• Advertisement

so u think its a good thing to be playing the likes of roinn 1b coming into a championship

Never said that either. You said relegation would be a disaster for waterford hurling but it wouldnt really. Cork and limerick are in 1b. As are offaly and wexford. I dont see how playing competitive games against those teams could be considered bad preperation for the championship.

For me the league system is a bit of a farce anyway. There will always be a couple of big counties down in 1b its just been lucky for us weve managed to avoid relegation to date

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 avonmore

A few things.

Brian O'Sullivan, **** me. how did he stay on for the whole game, with three other guys taken off. The one chance he got, if he had the bottle or the courage he would have gone straight for goal.

How many chances has this guy had and has never measured up. I think he actually got on the ball three times in the whole game and gave it away twice. Just not up to it, maddening to see him on for the whole game. McGrath moved him to every position on the forward line without taking him off.

At least the rest of the forwards tried and to take young Shanahan off before Sullivan was outrageous. I thought I had seen it all but then to see Eddie Barrett coming on, oh my sweet Jesus.

I am giving McGrath the benefit of the doubt here, but it seems to me you have to be a past pupil od DLS school or at least a DLS player to get a look in.

To take Barron, Walsh and Shanahan off and leave Sullivan on took some beating. He's the ultimate sunshine hurler, a corner back's dream.

Shout out to Fives, Brick the two O'Mahonys, Noely Conner's and Coughlan, all excellent. Shane Sullivan and Kevin Moran tried hard.

Felt sorry for Socky. Overall I thought he was excellent, but the best of them drop one.

Last comment, looking at the bench and the subs was even more maddening. The three that came on before Barrett were the best options . The other two, God help us, are intermediate club hurlers, at best, but then again past pupils of DLS.

McGrath needs to start opening up his mind a bit to lads that he hasn't come across before, under him.

Absolutely sickened!

I leave it at that for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Having been at the game tonight, I was disappointed with the loss but encouraged by the start of the year. Knowing mcgrath's style of management I had a fair idea this is how they will try to play but I think tonight is only the start of it and it will evolve and improve substantially on a better surface. Back 7 I was happy with. Sok fair enough made a balls of the second goal but come on suggesting he's weak in the air he caught one on the crossbar tonight had exceptional championship last year and is the best in the county by a mile so grow up a bit and cut out the over reaction. Full line, barry Coughlan grew into it after a tentative opening and then the goal was a killer but plenty there for me to say this guy is a good defender, his recovery pace is impressive and forde was whipped. Shane fives probably only outdone by Mickey Cahill up the other end but what a turn around from this man exceptional. Connors was Connors very hard to get excited cause he does his job all about the team so you have to love it.

Half back line I wouldn't change it for the year the makeup and the balance is all right, they were outstanding as a unit. People here said Philip mah had a lot to prove but I think he just proved to real hurling folk what we always believed. Nagle needs a special mention I criticised him and never thought he'd make it but he again outstanding. Long May it continue. Also made the point bout squeezing the space brick push up on noël mcgrath and he isn't half as effective, second half noël was on his third position,

Midfield is the same way they've always been Shane Sull outstanding at times then goes out of it, thunders in it again then gone again.probably best deliverer of a ball to a forward just want more of it. Think him and molomphy is a better blend. Moran for me can do way more does a lot of pleasing on the eye stuff but gives it away to much and again how fit is he was blowing fair head in second half. Easily our most game breaking and changing player and when pushing on we have no better but I believe he needs to do more team ethic stuff,

Now the forwards there lies the problem. Pauric mah missed 1 free I believe (need a new free taker wtf) generally showed well missed some bad ones from play although one was over. But showed he's coming back from breakthrough year form. The rest Barron started off great but he just doesn't look to me like a forward never seems confident to have a pop at the post, gets lost when on possession over whether he should shoot or lay it off, I think he's a converted back but again was game, all you can ask in feb. Dillon felt he looked like a kid that has played so much at a young age, looks a bit tired and stale. I've great time for the kid and would have no doubts long term but I think he is possibly suffering from what pauric mah did last year. Hope I'm wrong but for he such a cute hurler his movement wasn't great and he got blocked a few times which is so unlike him. Then again only one game so he'll show his class over a longerterm.

Full line where do we start, Shane Walsh started fine on a naive full back. Moved him corner after 15 to get Maurice in it. Pointless and game over for him. When they made it two inside with him made it even more pointless. Didn't use his attributes at all for the night that was in it. Took him off and may as well have after 15. Not that I'm saying he was bad but it was one of the few small little gripes I had with management, never move a guy away from his natural instincts to replace him with Maurice who has no interest in being around the edge. Brian Sull ya I dunno where he can go from here. Pity always felt it was gonna happen but it hasn't but the problem is who's knocking him down for the shirt.

Maurice my god he personifies frustration. Out in half line or don't bother. For a big guy he is brutal in the defensive tackle. His decision making is awful at times then he does a mazy run like in the first half on the outside of two lads and if the pass was a bit better for Shane Sull ud say that's 'class'. Second half hanging in behind defenders. Getting on balls and by the time he has his body opened to strike he's at an impossible angle. Again knocking around at least four years like Brian where is he going how has he improved. I'm looking at this not on a anti west anti east angle (I couldn't give a bollox with all that parochial ****e) but Waterford are now on a short passing movement game and if u had two lads in full line with shocking decision making and another with no movement questions need to be asked.

Molomphy brought in to late to have an effect as were the other subs and he just clogged the midfield even more when again my only other gripe was that was a time we needed to go more orthodox and push for win rather than trying not to lose. The Other subs got no time to put a stamp on it and to be honest I wasn't overly endeared with the bench there were guys there I've seen before a Donal breathnach from ring was a lad I'd like to see or a ray barry to see can he be more than one game wonder but they'll come.

On the system at times it looked cohesive and great other times the conditions didnt suit to continually play that way and it's all a preparation for summer which ultimately is the goal. Only fear I'd have is the system doesn't evolve and we continually have a clogged up middle with little attacking threat and don't push to win the game rather than hang in.

Dare I say it if Bennett steps up quicker than I think and if u could manage to get mullane back I think he'd have some bandwagon of a season.

On tipp well average. Completely ran out of ideas at times gifted two goals more accurate shooting and you'd have 5 more points to claw back. Cahill some hurler prob motm. forwards give them time some style but stuffed up them don't want to hear it. Goalkeeper puck outs had no snow them and looks to me like a fella lost a load of weight but has bad footwork. With not to many to add there won't be any all Ireland in that group, sentiments echoed by tipp people sitting with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The wanderly wagon

First time posting here.

Reading many of the posts here, it's very disappointing to the negative attitude amongst many posters. What's even worse is the attitude towards some players and a new management team.
    1) it's still very early into the year and the players and management will surely take some time to gel and develop a pattern of play.
    2) All the players on the panel are there because it is felt they are the best available at this point in time. They may or may not all be up to top inter county standards but they are carrying the flag for the county now and should be given credit for doing so.
    3) I hope that given all the criticism here towards some players and management that they are strong enough personalities to not let it influence their decisions or plans. I suspect that there will be a few more days like yesterday before improvements in results. This will require persistence and resilience by both players and management to sail through it.

Ability and skill are very important to achieve success at the highest level but what is more important is confidence and form, especially for a forward role. Confidence is mainly developed from form and you can only have form from playing. Young players need a management team who have confidence in them and can inspire to reach their reach their potential.
    Winning and success is as much about mental resolve as it is physical and technical ability. For Waterford to succeed both players and management will require these qualities in abundance.

A word of advice to all, developing young kids (sport, education or general lives) is all about giving them the confidence to continually have a go at the challenges and being able to reach their maximum ability. Failure is not about losing, it's not having the courage and conviction to risk failure by taking on each challenge with enthusiasm. If you want kids to reach their maximum potential, continually develop their confidence as much as technical or physical ability.
    Successful people in all walks of life tend to have inner confidence, confident people tend to be successful!! What came first the chicken or the egg??
    Finally I hope the waterford team and management can have the confidence and resolve to take on all the challenges ahead with enthusiasm and that the players wearing the jersey now, can give it their best shot until the next inline can take it from them.

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Having been at the game tonight, I was disappointed with the loss but encouraged by the start of the year. Knowing mcgrath's style of management I had a fair idea this is how they will try to play but I think tonight is only the start of it and it will evolve and improve substantially on a better surface. Back 7 I was happy with. Sok fair enough made a balls of the second goal but come on suggesting he's weak in the air he caught one on the crossbar tonight had exceptional championship last year and is the best in the county by a mile so grow up a bit and cut out the over reaction. Full line, barry Coughlan grew into it after a tentative opening and then the goal was a killer but plenty there for me to say this guy is a good defender, his recovery pace is impressive and forde was whipped. Shane fives probably only outdone by Mickey Cahill up the other end but what a turn around from this man exceptional. Connors was Connors very hard to get excited cause he does his job all about the team so you have to love it.

Half back line I wouldn't change it for the year the makeup and the balance is all right, they were outstanding as a unit. People here said Philip mah had a lot to prove but I think he just proved to real hurling folk what we always believed. Nagle needs a special mention I criticised him and never thought he'd make it but he again outstanding. Long May it continue. Also made the point bout squeezing the space brick push up on noël mcgrath and he isn't half as effective, second half noël was on his third position,

Midfield is the same way they've always been Shane Sull outstanding at times then goes out of it, thunders in it again then gone again.probably best deliverer of a ball to a forward just want more of it. Think him and molomphy is a better blend. Moran for me can do way more does a lot of pleasing on the eye stuff but gives it away to much and again how fit is he was blowing fair head in second half. Easily our most game breaking and changing player and when pushing on we have no better but I believe he needs to do more team ethic stuff,

Now the forwards there lies the problem. Pauric mah missed 1 free I believe (need a new free taker wtf) generally showed well missed some bad ones from play although one was over. But showed he's coming back from breakthrough year form. The rest Barron started off great but he just doesn't look to me like a forward never seems confident to have a pop at the post, gets lost when on possession over whether he should shoot or lay it off, I think he's a converted back but again was game, all you can ask in feb. Dillon felt he looked like a kid that has played so much at a young age, looks a bit tired and stale. I've great time for the kid and would have no doubts long term but I think he is possibly suffering from what pauric mah did last year. Hope I'm wrong but for he such a cute hurler his movement wasn't great and he got blocked a few times which is so unlike him. Then again only one game so he'll show his class over a longerterm.

Full line where do we start, Shane Walsh started fine on a naive full back. Moved him corner after 15 to get Maurice in it. Pointless and game over for him. When they made it two inside with him made it even more pointless. Didn't use his attributes at all for the night that was in it. Took him off and may as well have after 15. Not that I'm saying he was bad but it was one of the few small little gripes I had with management, never move a guy away from his natural instincts to replace him with Maurice who has no interest in being around the edge. Brian Sull ya I dunno where he can go from here. Pity always felt it was gonna happen but it hasn't but the problem is who's knocking him down for the shirt.

Maurice my god he personifies frustration. Out in half line or don't bother. For a big guy he is brutal in the defensive tackle. His decision making is awful at times then he does a mazy run like in the first half on the outside of two lads and if the pass was a bit better for Shane Sull ud say that's 'class'. Second half hanging in behind defenders. Getting on balls and by the time he has his body opened to strike he's at an impossible angle. Again knocking around at least four years like Brian where is he going how has he improved. I'm looking at this not on a anti west anti east angle (I couldn't give a bollox with all that parochial ****e) but Waterford are now on a short passing movement game and if u had two lads in full line with shocking decision making and another with no movement questions need to be asked.

Molomphy brought in to late to have an effect as were the other subs and he just clogged the midfield even more when again my only other gripe was that was a time we needed to go more orthodox and push for win rather than trying not to lose. The Other subs got no time to put a stamp on it and to be honest I wasn't overly endeared with the bench there were guys there I've seen before a Donal breathnach from ring was a lad I'd like to see or a ray barry to see can he be more than one game wonder but they'll come.

On the system at times it looked cohesive and great other times the conditions didnt suit to continually play that way and it's all a preparation for summer which ultimately is the goal. Only fear I'd have is the system doesn't evolve and we continually have a clogged up middle with little attacking threat and don't push to win the game rather than hang in.

Dare I say it if Bennett steps up quicker than I think and if u could manage to get mullane back I think he'd have some bandwagon of a season.

On tipp well average. Completely ran out of ideas at times gifted two goals more accurate shooting and you'd have 5 more points to claw back. Cahill some hurler prob motm. forwards give them time some style but stuffed up them don't want to hear it. Goalkeeper puck outs had no snow them and looks to me like a fella lost a load of weight but has bad footwork. With not to many to add there won't be any all Ireland in that group, sentiments echoed by tipp people sitting with me.

I would agree with much of what you say.

I have no agenda, east or west, either, but to harp on and spend two paragraphs on Shanahan, who I admit is frustrating and probably not up to it, but at least keeps showing, and to sum up Brian O'Sullivan's contribution with, who's knocking on the door ?You give the soft criticism of Sullivan, why? Come on..... The guy wouldn't go in to a dark room.

You need to take off the black and red glasses and been even handed.
    If any decent forward prepared to take a bit of punishment got that ball tonight, there would have only been one result. God, if Flynner was at the game and watching, I'd say he would have cringed - what he would have given for such a ball.

I have no issue with clubs, but I do have an issue with managers who for all their research on players etc, are essentially serfs. I followed the DLS school team under Derek and I had hope he had grown out of his inferiority complex and his taking of advice from who he perceived as his betters. Unfortunately tonight proved to me that he is still in thrall to them. I can only hope he grows a backbone.

By the way, by the same token, if there no one pushing to take the shirt from Sullivan, surely you have to been seen as even handed and say the same about Shanahan.

You might not have an east west agenda but you definitely have a Ballygunner one.

It shouldn't be who you are, but what you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kerrrBLAHHH

First time posting here.

Reading many of the posts here, it's very disappointing to the negative attitude amongst many posters. What's even worse is the attitude towards some players and a new management team.
    1) it's still very early into the year and the players and management will surely take some time to gel and develop a pattern of play.
    2) All the players on the panel are there because it is felt they are the best available at this point in time. They may or may not all be up to top inter county standards but they are carrying the flag for the county now and should be given credit for doing so.
    3) I hope that given all the criticism here towards some players and management that they are strong enough personalities to not let it influence their decisions or plans. I suspect that there will be a few more days like yesterday before improvements in results. This will require persistence and resilience by both players and management to sail through it.

Ability and skill are very important to achieve success at the highest level but what is more important is confidence and form, especially for a forward role. Confidence is mainly developed from form and you can only have form from playing. Young players need a management team who have confidence in them and can inspire to reach their reach their potential.
    Winning and success is as much about mental resolve as it is physical and technical ability. For Waterford to succeed both players and management will require these qualities in abundance.

A word of advice to all, developing young kids (sport, education or general lives) is all about giving them the confidence to continually have a go at the challenges and being able to reach their maximum ability. Failure is not about losing, it's not having the courage and conviction to risk failure by taking on each challenge with enthusiasm. If you want kids to reach their maximum potential, continually develop their confidence as much as technical or physical ability.
    Successful people in all walks of life tend to have inner confidence, confident people tend to be successful!! What came first the chicken or the egg??
    Finally I hope the waterford team and management can have the confidence and resolve to take on all the challenges ahead with enthusiasm and that the players wearing the jersey now, can give it their best shot until the next inline can take it from them.

Some of the criticism here is abusive and personal, it's over the top and should be disregarded. Abusing a guy for being too slow, name calling etc, that's just retarded. What do they expect Maurice to have turned into Linford Christie over the winter? To be honest I thought Maurice did enough, he won a few frees and sores a great point, had a few bad wides but he did more than most and he will always struggle to get away from backs at inter county level, that's just the way it is can't criticise him for that.

Some of the criticism is measured and not abusive and just the facts, people are entitled to give these opinions I feel, just as they are entitled to praise the backs which most posters have.

I hear what you are saying, I have done the coaching courses and they mainly express what you are saying, but even with praising guys to the hilt the spot and fix approach still needs to be used and it is not criticism to point out to a player that:
    - he didn't take on his man when a good opportunity arrived (like you have seen him doing time and again at club level and beating his man to work a get a shot off)
    - ran into trouble and lost possession more than once,
    - when in possession ran away from the goal instead of running more directly at it, made a worse angle for himself a shot a wide,
    - did not work hard enough as the opposition defenders cleared the ball,

These are just some deficiencies I would have seen, they can be rectified with good coaching (theoretically), hopefully we will see progress from here and there is no doubt that the coaching team will work on them and if we see an improvement great.
    Praising guys for what they did right is great and absolutely the right thing to do, but you can't just blindly praise in the hope that it will build confidence and in turn form and paper over the cracks of the rest.

Personally I think breatnach from ring would be worth a go, he has a good hand is big direct and has speed, he wins the ball in the air and take defences on, his decision making may be a bit off at times but again with good coaching that can be improved and we need someone like him badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭redlead

People can give out all they like about the 6-9 donkeys that seem to be rotated within our forward line and most comments are right. The likes of P mahony and O'Sullivan aren't fit to wear the jersey but unfortunately these guys seem to be the best we have. It's not as if we have any alternatives rotting away somewhere. There has been a tendancy within the county to hype up every young fella that has a remote bit of talent and people are getting frustrated with all these guys now that they have been hanging around the team a couple of years and clearly have very little talent.

I don't rate Shanahan at all but the stick he is getting is very unfair. Sadly he is our best forward which is probably the reason people are using him as a scapegoat but as frustrating as it is watching him fall around the place and go on meaningless runs, at least the lad is actually capable of taking a score ... not something any of the rest of them can do.

One last point, those on here talking about a city selection bias would want to cop on for themselves. Those days are long gone. Sick of hearing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

avonmore wrote: »
    I would agree with much of what you say.

I have no agenda, east or west, either, but to harp on and spend two paragraphs on Shanahan, who I admit is frustrating and probably not up to it, but at least keeps showing, and to sum up Brian O'Sullivan's contribution with, who's knocking on the door ?You give the soft criticism of Sullivan, why? Come on..... The guy wouldn't go in to a dark room.

You need to take off the black and red glasses and been even handed.
    If any decent forward prepared to take a bit of punishment got that ball tonight, there would have only been one result. God, if Flynner was at the game and watching, I'd say he would have cringed - what he would have given for such a ball.

I have no issue with clubs, but I do have an issue with managers who for all their research on players etc, are essentially serfs. I followed the DLS school team under Derek and I had hope he had grown out of his inferiority complex and his taking of advice from who he perceived as his betters. Unfortunately tonight proved to me that he is still in thrall to them. I can only hope he grows a backbone.

By the way, by the same token, if there no one pushing to take the shirt from Sullivan, surely you have to been seen as even handed and say the same about Shanahan.

You might not have an east west agenda but you definitely have a Ballygunner one.

It shouldn't be who you are, but what you are.

There was 6 guys from one club on the side over a third of the team so obviously they are going to get a bit of attention but I'll clarify why I criticised shanahan more than Sullivan. Before you'd go to the game if you asked 100 supporters who you thought you're main forward is I'd say 75 who say shanahan and the rest would give you a sound bite depending on the colours

If Waterford are going to progress we need Maurice to iron out the issues that have been shown since he came on the scene but last night it was just more of the same. It's frustrating but he is our only forward where you could say could get double figures in scores if on his game naturally and my theory is we will go down the road like we did with dan but unfortunately with way hurling is improving in Waterford will he get as many years as dan to fulfill his potential. I'd agree I would have got Brian Sull at half time he wasn't attacking anything but for me he's never really in a fixture in the side and do we really think he'll start come the summer. I certainly don't but if you looked at the bench last night who was going to come in and start pinging balls over the bar in the corner we had no forward on the bench really, all natural midfielders or backs. Seamus being a ball winner.

So I also mentioned barry Lismore and breathnach were lads I would like to see and they didn't seem on the bench. So there are two options you could see straight away and then you can whip fellas like Sullivan early doors cause they ain't up to it.

Criticising mcgrath for having bias to dls school players is ridiculous. A lot of his players are the make up of the squad anyway so course he is going to pick them and possibly at the start be a bit top heavy with them such as Roy Keane was when he went into management but he'll soon have to learn that he has to pick his best combinations and I'd have no fear he'll do that and I'd be amazed if he showed bias to certain players.

On the other two Shan deserves more attention as he is going to be around for years, Brian Sull will he be on the panel in a year! With likes of curran Bennett foran gleeson coming through I doubt it. I can see you have no east west agenda but you do with mcgrath which clouds your judgement. One game if same happens in the summer you can go to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

culbaire wrote: »
    The critics of Shanahan are mainly from the city. Some of them were at it in the crowd tonight but had no criticism of any city player. It really angered me to listen to them single out one player.

Ah Grow up, this east west thing is self perpetuating, if u are so sick of it then stop throwing fuel on the fire, As for Shanahan the reason he probably gets so much attention is he as he can be very inconsistent, which will always frustrate fans

robopaddy wrote: »
    Like you say if the rules arent been enforced properly then kk are the only ones cute enough to exploit that, you have to ask what are the rest of us doing? Sitting back and watching, while moaning and complaining like sissies. Why dont we follow suit? I get embarrassed when waterford supporters start harping on about this, a lot of the time I think its nothing other than sour grapes. And dont give me this crap about a youtube video as evidence you could make a similar one for any other team in any other sport if you do enough nit picking

Your embarrassment dose not change the facts and I've seen more than enough of Kilkenny's play first hand to form that opinion without then need to crawling u tube, Perhaps if more people within GAA were less worried about sour grapes and feeling embarrassed then we would not have had quite a unbalanced championship over the last 10 years. and before u say it I have already mentioned that Kilkenny had more than enough skill to still be at the top of the pile

As for following suit I believe that is already well progressed, I don't believe it makes it a better Game though,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kerrrBLAHHH

Ah Grow up, this east west thing is self perpetuating, if u are so sick of it then stop throwing fuel on the fire, As for Shanahan the reason he probably gets so much attention is he as he can be very inconsistent, which will always frustrate fans

You are dead right about culbaire, he is saying that we will have a city team and that most of Maurice's critics are from the east, that's a load of crap, he can't come on and discuss the panel without reverting to the east v west rubbish as his safety net... The main theme of his posts is Lismore yet he than criticises others for parochialism

1 game in wit a new manager and already talk of a city team good Christ what a load of trash, sorry but I just hate that BS

First time posting here.

Funny how we lose a game by 1 score against the form team that most people thought we wouldn't get with in 6 points and our season is over already. 1 score that was the result of an uncharistic mistake by Sok, ( which by the way was a ploy of Tipp for most of the second half to send the ball high into the lights). yes we have work to do particularly in the forwards and management/ team selection but I wonder if we had managed to not concede that goal and instead scored one of the points we missed how different would the reaction have been here, when the different between winning and losing is only the puck of a ball against one of the top teams then perhaps we are not doing that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

I'd fancy our chances to come away from Walsh Park with a win Sunday. There is some positives to take away from last nights game. Our season is far from over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,688 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Don't post in here often but just reading the thread since the game last night. I expected to read how pleased people were in pushing Tipp all the way and maybe a bit unlucky not to get something from the game. Instead I find a few absolutely stupid posts by people that clearly know nothing about hurling.
    Thought there would be more positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭seananigans

Mossy is a half forward everyone seems to want him to be his brother when he is far more versatile than that prender is great in ff leave him at it assuming he's fit

He's a big guy slow acceleration good top speed if he has room to build flsome pace he can run at goal and get some scores but asking him to do nought to sixty at the edge of the square is never gonna happen he's not built for that us big lads just aren't .

On top of that he's hard to hook or block being a southpaw and then is quite accurate from distance as well so can pick of points all night from there .

Where does he play with lismore ? I doubt its full forward

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭blue note

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Don't post in here often but just reading the thread since the game last night. I expected to read how pleased people were in pushing Tipp all the way and maybe a bit unlucky not to get something from the game. Instead I find a few absolutely stupid posts by people that clearly know nothing about hurling.

I find some of the comments on individuals shameful and moronic, but in fairness we should be disappointed to not have won last night. Tipp were very poor and were there for the taking. Definitely two points dropped last night.

Just on the east v west thing; this used to be an issue, but isn't anymore. Just look at the make up of the panel. In spite of the county championship still being dominated by city clubs the Waterford team is fairly evenly split. A lot here still seem to have a hang up from the old days.

On the current team, last year we were strong 1-9 and weak up front. Against UL we lost because of poor forward play and again yesterday, a good forward 6 and we'd have won by a few points. Hopefully Molumphy will come in at wing or centre forward and strengthen them. Hopefully the summer weather will help. But at the moment we look too weak up front to be contenders this year.

Brad1234 wrote: »
    There was 6 guys from one club on the side over a third of the team so obviously they are going to get a bit of attention but I'll clarify why I criticised shanahan more than Sullivan. Before you'd go to the game if you asked 100 supporters who you thought you're main forward is I'd say 75 who say shanahan and the rest would give you a sound bite depending on the colours

If Waterford are going to progress we need Maurice to iron out the issues that have been shown since he came on the scene but last night it was just more of the same. It's frustrating but he is our only forward where you could say could get double figures in scores if on his game naturally and my theory is we will go down the road like we did with dan but unfortunately with way hurling is improving in Waterford will he get as many years as dan to fulfill his potential. I'd agree I would have got Brian Sull at half time he wasn't attacking anything but for me he's never really in a fixture in the side and do we really think he'll start come the summer. I certainly don't but if you looked at the bench last night who was going to come in and start pinging balls over the bar in the corner we had no forward on the bench really, all natural midfielders or backs. Seamus being a ball winner.

So I also mentioned barry Lismore and breathnach were lads I would like to see and they didn't seem on the bench. So there are two options you could see straight away and then you can whip fellas like Sullivan early doors cause they ain't up to it.

Criticising mcgrath for having bias to dls school players is ridiculous. A lot of his players are the make up of the squad anyway so course he is going to pick them and possibly at the start be a bit top heavy with them such as Roy Keane was when he went into management but he'll soon have to learn that he has to pick his best combinations and I'd have no fear he'll do that and I'd be amazed if he showed bias to certain players.

On the other two Shan deserves more attention as he is going to be around for years, Brian Sull will he be on the panel in a year! With likes of curran Bennett foran gleeson coming through I doubt it. I can see you have no east west agenda but you do with mcgrath which clouds your judgement. One game if same happens in the summer you can go to town.

Sound man, that's fair enough.

But, you have to admit all of the decisions made by Derek last night reeked of favouritism towards lads he has worked with either in the school or with his club. As you say this may be natural but he has had fifty lads training for the past two months so I was hoping that each guy would get a fair chance.

Let's hope that as the year progresses this is seen to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

very very dissapointing ,an awful lot of really poor decisions in the back line ,ie short passing (at one stage under huge pressure passed the ball 4 times from te back line and lost it about 30 metres out)1 long ball up to the forwards ,also the pivitol role in the team is probably the most dissapointing #6 ,all be it the brick is a very good hurler is is not a centre back numerous times he won the really hard ball and tipped it 3 yards to a team mate who would in turn be under too much pressure when he received the ball,i know he would make a better midfield as he proved before winning ball breaking clear and putting the oppositions backs on the back foot ,brick /molumphy midfield is a good starting point ,he is such a good hurler but is too far back the field ,

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

We didn't have forwards for half that game, it was a complete mess tactically. We did look fitter than tipp and the work rate was good to see, lads giving each other plenty of support. I don't think the forwards lost it as much as our insistence on playing so deep we only had 1 forward for the second half. Maurice was decent, won a few frees but took on too many shots from tight angles. Pauric Mahony showed for alot of ball and kept plugging away but he couldn't buy a score from play, better in overall general play than he was last year though. Jake fluffed his lines badly, miss hit a handy score late on when we needed one, Pender just fouled people when he came on. If we don't have the forwards we're in trouble. Wouldn't hurt to try lads like darragh fives, donie breanach and ray barry up there to hell, they can't do worse than what was up there last night! We need to try something or we're getting relegated, cos the rest of the games won't be as handy as that was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

ShamoBuc wrote: »

What would your assessment be of a similar performance from Cork? Given ye won so handy last year, would you be happy with having the chances to win the game and not taking them?

Did you know we beat Tipperary last year Shamo? It seems to have been quickly forgotten, not least by a journalist in the Sunday times who under the article "Tipp make heavy weather of spirited Waterford" claimed the last time Waterford beat Tipp was in 1998.

Anyone pursuing personal gripes with individuals are claiming the season is over (someone referenced that earlier, I think I saw one person comment with such a reaction), is of course in the wrong. But Tipperary, though they've been put on a pedestal, have a lot to prove this year after last year and they came no closer to proving anything last night.

If we want to get away from being perennial relegation candidates which we all believe we are better than, well we'd have to beat teams in a game we dominate, regardless of who they are or where the game is played.

This game won't live long in the memory come the Cork championship game (and I'd have to agree with Brad's assessment of a new game plan that started quite well and conceivably faded out due to the state of fitness at this time of year) but yesterday was a case of 2 points lost for Waterford. All the same, onwards and upwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement