Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

What Sisk proposed was access to the North Pier via the North beach. So instead of a walkway alongside the marina basin (the obvious and attractive route) they proposed that the public should walk up by the sailing club, on up towards D'arcy's field , turn right down to the north beach and get onto the wall from their. (A circuitous and very unattractive route).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nigelradion2

williamb wrote: »
    Do we know what exactly is going to be left when the developers pull out ? My understanding is that they're finishing the sea walls :- does that mean we end up with piers, at least ?

No. I think that the harbour is probably going to be left the way it is. Such a shame but they could at least try and clean up the north side of the harbour

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

No. I think that the harbour is probably going to be left the way it is. Such a shame but they could at least try and clean up the north side of the harbour

:confused:

why are you answering a question from 2009?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

....and getting the answer wrong, even with the benefit of hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tennisplayer

I think it is very unfair to be slagging off our local politicians anonymously.
    OK make your points but without the continuous name calling and abusive posting.
    Regarding the harbour works it has been said by numerous posters on here and Facebook how wrong everything about the way it is being handled. Over and over it has been said.
    Rather than repeating yourselves over and over get out there and actually do something about it. Use your vote if you wish but stop abusing our public representatives from the anonymity of your keyboards.
    The harbour is not the only issue to be tackled, there are lots of other problems and areas to be sorted.
    I am aware of at least 2 of the constant name calling posters who have admitted publicly that they didn't vote in the last local elections and who say they won't ever vote. But still they rant on in forums about those elected representatives. No logic in that.
    I am not affiliated to any politician but I have always voted and will continue to for as long as I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I know this is slightly off topic and maybe a little sad - but on my desk in work I have a laminated photo of the old harbour.
    I regularly have people calling by asking where it is - some thinking it's on the west coast, some even thinking Bray head is Dalkey ;)

Makes for some great chats, especially when I give them the history of the kish and the impact on the inner harbour with the silting. Hindsight is wonderful, but sometimes these memories I have of my childhood are a bane. Can't remember the last time I went down there and it saddens me to think that a childhood haunt of mine is now a no-go zone.

On a related note though I would still love to see a large display down there with
    a) the contract.
    b) Each of the promised deliverables. Decommit dates - results etc
    c) Who supported what action and their affiliation to the party, including their photo.
    d) Sources of donation etc.
    e) List of spend, including "fact" finding trips undertaken by each of our elected representatives.

Full transparency in a public and visible location for me is a must, unfortunately we don't all have the best memory when it comes to election time to who may have let us down.

As to the comment on not voting again - while that's a different discussion in light of all that is going on I can sort of understand it. When one candidate is as bad as another, when a vote really makes little difference abstaining is a stand some choose to take. However by doing so you are just as responsible as those that voted said representatives into power, we are each responsible, whether by voting, by not pushing our candidates for accountability or whatever. We just need to keep pushing for a true change, I for one am tired of this rotating door of elected officials, it seems irrespective of who is elected the lines are trotted out, the same excuses, the same blame shifting.
    ** rant over **

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭legrand

Time for a couple of new threads in Greystones & Charlesland...

A poll to on top 5 issues of concern to residents here in Greystones (Harbour, Schools, BroadBand, Roads, other..). Any suggestions?

Another Thread related to local representatives - risk of being short lived I fear - Do you believe that <name> represented the interests of the Community or Developer (or some other variation on this theme)

Yet another thread could be whatever happened to the 1,000 signature petition that Stephen Donnelly arranged and why does that not seem to register at town council level (extreme naivety on my part here I guess)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Taltos wrote: »
    I would still love to see a large display down there with
    a) the contract.
    b) Each of the promised deliverables. Decommit dates - results etc
    c) Who supported what action and their affiliation to the party, including their photo.
    d) Sources of donation etc.
    e) List of spend, including "fact" finding trips undertaken by each of our elected representatives.

Full transparency in a public and visible location for me is a must...
    Excellent idea. As long as everything was presented as a verifiable fact, there should be no problem including the names of public representatives.

In regard to the contract though, there is secrecy surrounding it, particularly in relation to an alleged "market change clause" which allegedly was inserted into a later version of the contract, and allowed the developer to renege on all responsibilities in the event of a downturn in the property market. How or why this happened has never been explained.

The "public" aspect of the public/private partnership seems to have been entirely forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

I don't know what happened here but my post earlier this morning seems to have gone.......

not to worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Whats going on here? Whos in charge of this harbour forum? My post from earlier has been removed and I want to know why!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

F3 wrote: »
    I don't know what happened here but my post earlier this morning seems to have gone.......
    Maudi wrote: »
    Whats going on here? Whos in charge of this harbour forum? My post from earlier has been removed and I want to know why!!

Apologies for not explaining fully. I unapproved a number of posts this morning. I am discussing this thread with the other mod and C Mod

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ok Mango,

Let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Ok Mango,

Let us know

Im really curious as to what possible reason my post was pulled or is my post reinstated?

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Ok folks, there is a lot of stuff being thrown around in here with no fact to back any of it up.

Take care to to deliver a quality post that can be easily backed up with fact.

Thanks,

Moderator :)

PS, any issues can be resolved via PM only.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Thanks LEIN

Now I think we all know what happened here so can I suggest we choose our words carefully.

Can I say: "Once Upon a time there lived a poor cobbler named Grego............" and let a fairy tail unfold from there?

"Cobbler named Grego"? Off to google with me (not having heard of such a character) but no luck - I did end up reading a number of pages about 'Ma'aruf the Cobbler and his Wife' from Arabian Nights - an interesting way to start a Friday. So thanks for the nice diversion.:)

By the way Ma'ruf is described as a simple man trying to his best. His wife is described as "... a wife called Fatimah, whom the folk had nicknamed “The Dung; for that she was a whorish, worthless wretch, scanty of shame and mickle of mischief. She ruled her spouse and abused him; and he feared her malice and dreaded her misdoings; for that he was a sensible man but poor-conditioned."

TGIF.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Right folks, thanks for the tails. However, this is off topic.

I have a real issue with the word 'abusive' being used. It is a highly negative word with many psychological associations and it is being used repeatedly especially by George Jones.

He has not been abused !!!!!!!

George has put himself out a public representative for 35 years and yes he has had to face criticism for allegedly not doing his job from constituents in Greystones.

If I where a public representative, I too would not be too happy with dealing with the chatter in rooms like this especially when when my actions and inactions are put under the mircoscope for all to consider.

We cannot even rely upon the minutes of the Town Council Meetings to record what was actually said or to be detailed enough to benchmark performance. Many times I’ve sat and listened in the public gallery for an evening and the corresponding minutes record something other than what was discussed or agreed!

I am truly sorry George if you do not like the challenges that face modern local politicians who are fluent in the new world of social media, but DO NOT call criticism of your actions and inactions ‘ABUSE’. Your Inaction is an indication of where your loyalties lie which has not been to resolving the issues at the Harbour. Time and time again the unfinished harbour continues to be a very central problem that this town has had to deal with for many years now.

YOU HAVE BEEN CENTRAL TO ALLOWING THE DELAY TO CONTINUE. Your loyalties appear to be to the County Manager not the people of Greystones.

I have noticed and indeed many have commented to me that you spend much of your time at Town Council meeting whispering and whispering to your fellow Fine Gael Cllrs who appear not to be able to think for themselves, which does not surprise me as they have been spoken to time and time and time again on this issue, and on the face of it agree, but completely change their minds by their actions and fail and fail and fail.

Why would anyone need to constantly talk to other Cllrs in a whisper at town council meetings…….Just think about that for a moment.

32 Failed promises * of publicised milestones on the Harbour from Sispar and Public Representatives!! 32 let downs this town has had to endure, yet you think this goes un noticed? Not in 2014 George. The world is alive now, alive and aware through forums like face book and boards.

*Published and very detailed correlated list on GUBOH website from public records.

And you should not be allowed to forget.

Yes it obviously does infuriate you, we can all see it. Because for 30 of those 35 years, there was no social media which provides an opportunity for the public to ask their representatives contemporaneous questions, and to provide a platform for public discussing the answers you give as to whether such are reasonable or not, i.e. to question your answers. But the last 5 years of social media has become a way of life for everybody and it is apparent you don’t like the change so you call it “abuse”

Why don't you call a public debate on this harbour issue???? I am fully certain a panel of GUBOH heads would stand before you and debate this issue???

[Fact: I’ve since checked with them and they have said no problem in debating the matter with you publically]

We could ask a pillar of the community like Dr. Brendan Cuddihy to chair the meeting and have proper journalists present. The debate could be videoed and put up for all to see.

BUT STOP WITH YOUR SNIDE REMARKS, stop with your use of language using words like 'Abuse'.

be the man that you think you are and have a public debate with your so-called abusers, and see who actually is more learned about the Harbour.

Finally, and mark my words. The building will re-commence soon, it will be "phase 1" of goodness knows how many phases. But I predict that a certain sector of Public representatives in this town will package this start in the shiniest of shiny wrappers and sing from the rafters........but the rest of the site will remain like a dogs dinner for years and years of phasing, the community buildings and proper finishes will also not be done for years and years and years of phasing........and the sea will continue to devour the north cliffs until the entire ecological area will be completely destroyed, the old dump exposed and washed into the sea, the marine life decimated, the sand martins gone forever...........but sure what does any of this matter.....

And if the public criticise its elected representatives for not doing their jobs, or for defending the indefensible, or for trying to be all things to all people but always succumbing to a party whip...........you call in "Abuse"

If I said WAKE UP MAN !!! it would be pointless, because your candle of politics is almost gone out. So I say to you, in the night time of your political career put up or shut up. Have a public debate with your so called abusers, have it videoed for all to judge, lets us see who is wrong, them or you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

val-byrne.jpg?w=620&h=469

Greystones Harbour back in the day. :(

Where did my revised post go?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Where did my revised post go?

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

val-byrne.jpg?w=620&h=469

Greystones Harbour back in the day. :(

Wonder which day? Seems to have been a little continental drift since then or Val didn't have his eye in but I don't recall Sugarloaf ever been over there..:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Any photos from the harbour today (or indeed the old harbour in an easterly gale/storm)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Any photos from the harbour today (or indeed the old harbour in an easterly gale/storm)?
    You wouldn't put a photographer out in weather like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Wonder which day? Seems to have been a little continental drift since then or Val didn't have his eye in but I don't recall Sugarloaf ever been over there..:)
    yes that's Little sugarloaf. My wife calls it Mount Cameltoe. Can you guess why?

yes that's Little sugarloaf. My wife calls it Mount Cameltoe. Can you guess why?

Funny that so did mine......... wait a minute :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Absolutely!......:p. Now, back to harbour topics...

Advertisement