Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

Just wondering what the problem is with the regional forecasts on the met.ie web site. Hasn't been updated since 6am, 15 hours ago. Same with the map graphic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

ppshay wrote: »
    Just wondering what the problem is with the regional forecasts on the met.ie web site. Hasn't been updated since 6am, 15 hours ago. Same with the map graphic.
    probable no problem they left the forecast as is because the charts are showing little change since this morning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Well according to the graphics on tonight's forecast after the News at 9, the weather is going to remain exactly the same for the next few days.

Won't change a bit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Lapin wrote: »
    Well according to the graphics on tonight's forecast after the News at 9, the weather is going to remain exactly the same for the next few days.

Won't change a bit. :D

I vote for a return of sticky cardboard symbols and a pointy stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

Current Met Eireann Forecast.
    How about Saturday, lads?

Tomorrow

Fog lingering in a few places up to Friday afternoon, otherwise showers in western counties but mainly dry and bright elsewhere. Winds becoming light to moderate, southwest to west. Highest temperatures 6 to 9 degrees Celsius.

Outlook

Sunday: Cold and frosty for the first few hours of the morning, with fog lingering in places. Otherwise bright and showery during the day, with most of the showers over the west and north of the country; less shower activity in eastern counties. A fairly cool day, highest temperatures of 5 to 7 degrees with light westerly breezes. More frost overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A lot of precipitation forecast for eastern parts over next 24 hours, surprised no warning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

just noticing on the met eireann website that past four years data is showing for stations on the past data as I check what a wet month wev seen in the West. Just started a written weather log this year, old fashioned I know but I think its good so that I can look back on the days. No day this year has had absolutely zero rain yet.. eek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

Wet and windy this morning they said.

Really ???

Cos I've rarely seen it as dry and calm here.

Have to revert to my original plans before I heard M.E. forecast.

To say these people are useless would be an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

mattser wrote: »

Really ???

Hmmm, where are you?

Have you looked at the radar, quite possibly on the way to you.

Squally and wet here this morning in North Tipp, as in many other parts of the country, but clearing now.

As for the Met Eireann bashing, that's probably an overstatement :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Really ???

Current radar shows heavy rain crossing the country..

Reports in the thunder thread of gusts similar to what was recorded in the storms around Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Really ???

Their forecast is/ was pretty accurate up in the wicklow mountains anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Lashing rain in D4 at the moment and gusts easily as strong as the storms over xmas. Where did that come from?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Really ???

Hows them original plans going for you now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

Danno wrote: »
    Hows them original plans going for you now?

Started to rain here in West Dublin about 10.30. I cancelled my plans for a couple of hours before that because that crowd forecast it wet all morning.
    There is no excuse for forecasts to be so wrong so often these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Started to rain here in West Dublin about 10.30. I cancelled my plans for a couple of hours before that because that crowd forecast it wet all morning.
    oh did they use the word all and put it in bold?
    I must need new glasses.

I am sending in the following reccomendation to Met Eireann:

Dear Met Eireann,

In future can you deliver your website's forecasts in the following format:

TODAY: Showers of rain, hail and thunder will quickly spread from the west in a strong and blustery westerly airflow.
    WEST DUBLIN FARIES: Your game of chase-tag-and-kiss with the other boys will be interrupted by some rain and gusts that will rise up your skirts at 10:52am, perhaps 10.53am - therefore we reccomend using additional vaseline to put over your eyebrows to keep out painful sweats and raindrops from messing with your vision.

I reccomend this format be used to avoid little hissy fits on forums such as boards.ie which take the good name of Met Eireann in vain.

Yours truly,
    Danno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Not a mention of any snow falling tonight. Just watched the weather after the 9 news

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A nice new feature here from Met Eireann http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

A nice new feature here from Met Eireann http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

Post #281 - boom! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

STATUS RED

"The issue of RED level severe weather warnings should be a comparatively rare event and implies that recipients take action to protect themselves and/or their properties; this could be by moving their families out of the danger zone temporarily; by staying indoors; or by other specific actions aimed at mitigating the effects of the weather conditions."

If Met Eireann only issued this at 12.25am it hardly gives people chance to take action to protect themselves and/or their properties. I'm sure there are many in Cork/Kerry asleep now oblivious to the violent storm on its way in the morning

On the other hand well done to boards.ie for putting it up earlier today and actually giving people a chance to batten down the hatches.

I wonder sometimes whether Met Eireann are too preoccupied with getting egg on their faces over their Status updates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭Endurance_man

A fair amount of outrage from the public at the how late ME issued their alerts.

Also upgrading alerts during the storm is also late.

I find this unacceptable and surely there must be questions asked on them and their professionalism?

People lives and livelihoods were at risk today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Watching that lad of the Murphys deliver the weather forecast on the RTE 6 o'clock news, I got the distinct impression he had no idea what exactly happened this afternoon.
    I'm 10k west of Ennis. Trees were falling like nine pins everywhere you looked. The rain was horizontal. There was massive hail and torrential rain. Swathes have been cut through forest plantations like I have never before seen.
    Some trees had been twisted and wrenched from their roots. The landscape changed in a few hours. Trees that were planted 100 years ago are now gone. Copses flattened.
    Not that Met Eireann could have done anything to prevent it, but it would have been nice to have some warning.
    Scientists can see back to the edge of space....but they cannot forecast a severe storm?

Watching that lad of the Murphys deliver the weather forecast on the RTE 6 o'clock news, I got the distinct impression he had no idea what exactly happened this afternoon.
    I'm 10k west of Ennis. Trees were falling like nine pins everywhere you looked. The rain was horizontal. There was massive hail and torrential rain. Swathes have been cut through forest plantations like I have never before seen.
    Some trees had been twisted and wrenched from their roots. The landscape changed in a few hours. Trees that were planted 100 years ago are now gone. Copses flattened.
    Not that Met Eireann could have done anything to prevent it, but it would have been nice to have some warning.
    Scientists can see back to the edge of space....but they cannot forecast a severe storm?

The main guys on here predicted it and warned of it for a few days and had the red alert up yesterday afternoon.

I really don't know what they are up to in Met Eireann:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

sully2010 wrote: »
    I really don't know what they are up to in Met Eireann:rolleyes:
    Risking getting slammed for this viewpoint, but when your job insulates you from having to account for your failings, I guess there is no pressure to excel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

As far as i remember met eireann did warn of the storm coming and they mentioned violent storm force winds.
    maybe you guys just didnt see it.

Bejubby wrote: »
    As far as i remember met eireann did warn of the storm coming and they mentioned violent storm force winds.
    maybe you guys just didnt see it.

They said the word stormy weather yea, not out of the norm in winter in Ireland. Even their 6 and 9 bulletins on RTE did not warn of the potential of this violent storm. The red alert did not go up until 12.30am when everyone is in bed.

Met Eireann are usually spot on but they were late with this one.

People I know in Limerick hadnt a clue it would be this bad, just thought it would be another one like the few previous ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

sully2010 wrote: »
    They said the word stormy weather yea, not out of the norm in winter in Ireland. Even their 6 and 9 bulletins on RTE did not warn of the potential of this violent storm. The red alert did not go up until 12.30am when everyone is in bed.

Met Eireann are usually spot on but they were late with this one.

I still think they warned people in time with the first orange alert and then red.
    its up to people to decide what they need to do.

The orange alert was yesterday and was like a wakeup call.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭Endurance_man

Bejubby wrote: »
    I still think they warned people in time with the first orange alert and then red.
    its up to people to decide what they need to do.

The orange alert was yesterday and was like a wakeup call.

People were not warned in time. A red alert at 12 am is not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

People were not warned in time. A red alert at 12 am is not good enough.

The problem is that these storms develop very rapidly. 36 hours ago todays storm was just a wisp of cloud in the western Atlantic.

Forecasting these type of storms and the intensity of the storm is very difficult and not like forecasting a hurricane which develops over days and even weeks.

Also bear in mind that Met Eireann have to be pretty sure of something actually occuring before they issue an alert...a couple of years ago there was a bit of an outcry after they issued an alert for very heavy snow, which did not materialise, and people were threatening to sue them.

Basically, they dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.

Advertisement