Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Shepherd Convent Dunboyne

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was not adopted through the Good Shepherd but pass it every day and can't help but imagine what it was like and how many mothers and babies were seperated:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cleansweep

Hi Kleo,
    I'm new to tracing. I'm searching for a BM aged 15 when giving birth to boy on 1 Feb 1979 - adopted from Dunboyne aged about three weeks old. BM came from north east. Got details from NE Health Board. You say you were there until March 1979. Have you managed to make contact with other mothers there at the same time? I am also concerned that the birth dates might not have been properly recorded in the Births Registry, as I have discovered some entries which did not tally with the entry against their names in the books which I consulted in the GRO. This makes it very difficult to when doing a search to find the correct entry if you confine the search it to a specific date, which may have been falsified
    Hope to hear from you
    Cleansweep

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shanef124

hi there would love to meet up I was there with yoy I remember Maura,maryanne,liz, dee im Fiona they called me Fiona mary though

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kleo

Hi Cleansweep...., not sure if I can help but am willing to try ....can you send a pm to me as that may be easier for for both of us .....Regards ...Kleo

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shassa

Is the trip to dunboyne castle on the 17 th of February still going ahead I am looking forward to it ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 junemay

I'll be there. Look forward to meeting you.

junemay wrote: »
    I'll be there. Look forward to meeting you.

Do you know the arrangements

No, haven't heard from anyone else recently. Hopefully we can firm things up over the weekend.

junemay wrote: »
    No, haven't heard from anyone else recently. Hopefully we can firm things up over the weekend.

Hopefully I know it is a big thing for everyone involved but I know for me it is very important for me to go as it was a very special time for me and part of my life :))

• Registered Users Posts: 29 teddybug

Hello to any girls interested in going back to the dunboyne castle hotel,im gonna ring the hotel today to check available rooms for an overnight stay and dinner if that suits everyone?? Hope of us as possible can meet up for dinner and a chat on monday 17 feb next week ,lookin forward to meeting you all. take care for now..please post on public forum if you like or pm me , so i can have an idea of how many for to tell the hotel tnks...

• Advertisement

teddybug wrote: »
    Hello to any girls interested in going back to the dunboyne castle hotel,im gonna ring the hotel today to check available rooms for an overnight stay and dinner if that suits everyone?? Hope of us as possible can meet up for dinner and a chat on monday 17 feb next week ,lookin forward to meeting you all. take care for now..please post on public forum if you like or pm me , so i can have an idea of how many for to tell the hotel tnks...

Me for definite looking forward to it :)

Hi girls there doesnt seem to be much of a response to the reunion to dunboyne castle hotel,its possible the reason could be thatoryou monday coupled with schools midterm,but if anyone can make it, please do as we all need to support each other.
    Also we can try to make a meeting up place and time that suits everyone,like maby every 3 months or so,if anyones free for monday evening,even if you cant stay overnight,and its not too far or inconvienent for you,would love to meet up for a chat

Helo again just to let you know the hotel asked to know how many coming for monday,they have given a good rate so
    by tomorrow 5 o clock ,i will ring dunboyne hotel to give the number of girls going ,so if anyone wants in on this meet, post online on this forum or p m teddybug if you like before 5 o clock friday evening,look forward to hearing from you
    take care regards ....

teddybug wrote: »
    Helo again just to let you know the hotel asked to know how many coming for monday,they have given a good rate so
    by tomorrow 5 o clock ,i will ring dunboyne hotel to give the number of girls going ,so if anyone wants in on this meet, post online on this forum or p m teddybug if you like before 5 o clock friday evening,look forward to hearing from you
    take care regards ....

:):) going

• Registered Users Posts: 29 survived

shassa wrote: »
    :):) going

Sorry teddybug can't make it but would still love to meet up next thank you. Hope all goes well for ye will be thinking of ye all.

helen k wrote: »
    shassa wrote: »

hi shassa helen k. here i took a photo of a girl with her baby in holistreet hospital my daughter was born in march 1989 she is 22 this year .i was in dunboyne from sep 1988 till march 1989.i hope this is some help for u .

regards helen k

Hi Helen k no I don't think that was me as I was there from November 1985 to march 1986

• Registered Users Posts: 2 carolanne83

hi there, just heard of this site, not very good at this, but was in dunboyne in 83, heard theres a reunion soon, would love to be able to contact or interact with people with the same experiences

Hi carolanne83
    yes, a few of us are meeting this Monday 17 at the Dunboyne Castle Hotel. Hope you can make it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 carolanne83

unfortunately, i only heard of reunion arrangements today, gutted, as i cant make it due to commitments

Thats a pity, but we can organise one for another time and hopefully you can make it

• Advertisement

What time are we all meeting up tomorrow in dunboyne castle

Shassa have alook at ur private messages

Hello carolann83,your very welcome,hope you can make the next reunion,very important to us all,to meet up and chat, and to give each other support,as this site does....Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sheba99

Hope the meet up is going well. I was in Dunboyne in 1974 from January till April.

Are you all aware that there are closed groups on facebook for adoptees and birth mom's?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mamafi

Hi Ladies...I am helping a friend trace her bm...she knows that her mam was in Dunboyne and that she was born in national maternitity hosp...her dob is 15th feb 1967...was there anyone there around that time...we have loads of info but she only had her 1st meeting with sw on tuesday and they said there is about a 2 yr waiting time before she can start he search....nither of us are in the position to head to dublin to the gro to search through the books ..

the reunion was emotional to say the least it felt so strange to be back at dunboyne and it really opened up a lot of emotions for me i felt like i was the little girl again and it was very strange staying at the hotel it just didn't seem real. i felt very sad when i came home as it reminded me of the first time i left and left my daughter behind and i am still trying to get my head around it. i met two very brave women there thank you to teddybug and junemay it was lovely to meet you both and i hope we can keep in touch. i would like to say a big happy 28th birthday today to my daughter you will never be forgotton love always.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sheba99

Hi

I'd just like to let people here know that I have started a group on facebook for Irish First Mothers at this address

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IrishFirstMothers/

If anyone uses facebook and would like to join. We are a closed support group.

I think you were all very brave going back to Dunboyne. I could not do it this time, but if you decide to go again I will attend. I was there in Jan to April '74.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mazdoll

Hi there, just in regards to your fb page ...all your members can be seen by anyone who search's facebook. although you cannot see the content of the page anyone who joins can be identified...if they are not aware of this might be a bit of a shock..

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mazdoll

Sorry I was unable to join the reunion..i hope it went well.....my lovely dad passed away suddenly and it has left a void in my heart I thought I would never experience again.

He visited me whilst in was in dunboyne, brought me sweets, bikkies and a few fags. He would turn up out of the blue and just make it a little bit easier. He was there the day I left my darling son in holles street, brought me back to dunboyne cause it was a bank holiday and nuns couldnt collect him till that tuesday. When filling in the birth cert, he politely put it, sure ya dont have to put anything down ya dont want to" :D. He was also there when I collected my son from his foster parents and brought him "home". A good kind man, he became dad to my son and never left us down. I will love and miss him forever. Isnt life so strange...the wheels keep turning and we stand here still ...watching while the world goes on.

i would love to make the next reunion and look forward to someday meeting all of you...<3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Kleo

Hi Mazdoll
    I'm sorry to hear about the death of your Dad, I lost my Dad in Nov 2012 and my Mum 10months later in sept 2013 and feel as if my world has ended..no matter how old you are ,the death of a parent is heartbreaking and leaves a huge hole in your life..like you ,I find it so strange that life just goes on as if nothing happened..My son was their first Granchild and they adored him...without their help and support I would never have been able to keep him...he misses them a lot .....please take heart in knowing how how much your Dad loved you and your son and what a good man he was...Dads like them are very rare...my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this very sad time...xxx

Advertisement